• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I knew it, Ganondorf is allergic to rabbits because the Master Sword is made of bunnies.
"Bunnies aren't just cute like anybody supposes!"
"They got them hoppy little legs and twitchy little noses"
"and what's with all the carrots?"
"What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?!?"
"BUNNIES!"
"BUNNIES IT MUST BE BUNNIES!"

"Or maybe *******."

-Ganondorf, alledgedly.

SKX31

Smash Master
So what you're saying is that the TRUE way to play competitive Smash is like this?
Coming Easter 2022, for $1.99.

Extra particle effects include:

* Cartoon egg effects replace Ganondorf's Darkness effects.
* Dark Dive now has Ganondorf jumping up like a bunny.
* Ganondorf's Smash attacks now wish you a Happy Easter.

(NGL would kinda be interested in getting / buying it)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Also, it's worth pointing out that Sakurai's tried to create at least some differences between the FE Lords (even if the ever-dreaded time crunch created the clones to begin with). Such as the sweetspot / sourspot stuff (whether they exist or don't). I haven't seen the competitive community complain as much about the FE clones as say casuals or the people here largely because the more minor differences do matter there.

Roy's journey is an interesting case study: In Melee he had unfinished hitboxes and attacks (due to the timecrunch) and as such no one made much of a splash with him until Don'tTestMe Zain proved that a skilled :roymelee: can beat any :foxmelee:. His Smash 4 incarnation suffers a bit from laggy attacks. But now with his Ultimate self? Sakurai's realised his dream and turned him into a high tier attack monster that can convert jabs into much, much more. That might help Roy's chances in future installments or whatever now that he's a viable character.

I do wonder what you and other Nintendo-leaning people will think if the project TPC and Tencent's working on turns out to be a Pokemon MOBA or other multiplayer-focused game. Now, I presume that you're disinterested in the genre at large, but I'm asking this question since the project could be a proof-of-concept of what you're saying.
Wow in melee and sm4sh he was just as bad as he was in his original game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Coming Easter 2022, for $1.99.

Extra particle effects include:

* Cartoon egg effects replace Ganondorf's Darkness effects.
* Dark Dive now has Ganondorf jumping up like a bunny.
* Ganondorf's Smash attacks now wish you a Happy Easter.

(NGL would kinda be interested in getting / buying it)
This is proof I have The Good Ideas, hire me Sakurai

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah but Crash's chances are giving me Banjo & Kazooie vibes like from last year. I feel it in my bones Crash is coming.
People "feel it in their bones" every time we get a new character. Quite a few people were expecting the ARMS character to be Crash because they needed to start the second pass off big.

A majority of the characters we've gotten as DLC weren't really requested. Crash could happen, but I wouldn't get my hopes up just because of Banjo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
People "feel it in their bones" every time we get a new character. Quite a few people were expecting the ARMS character to be Crash.

A majority of the characters we've gotten as DLC weren't really requested. Crash could happen, but I wouldn't get my Hope's up just because of Banjo.
Well to be fair, both are 90s platforming mascots and while Banjo & Kazooie was more popular for Smash Crash is the bigger icon and was once the mascot for Sony's PlayStation back in the day. I think Nintendo would be missing a big opportunity if they didn't try to reach Activision to get Crash on this once in a lifetime legendary roster.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Yeah but Crash's chances are giving me Banjo & Kazooie vibes like from last year. I feel it in my bones Crash is coming.
I am not sure of that... By last year, Banjo & Kazooie were becoming fairly predictable due to a number of factors; namely:
  1. Being amongst the most heavily requested characters ever
  2. Phil Spencer being publicly open he was okay with the idea since Smash 4 DLC days
  3. Nintendo and Microsoft being fairly open on being business partners rather than rivals.
Crash... It's not like he isn't requested, just hasn't been for too long; then again character requests aren't everything. But even taking that into account, Activision is all over the place when it comes to Nintendo; sometimes they don't bother with their triple A games on their consoles, other times they make Bowser and Donkey Kong into Skylander characters, it's just hard to tell. Crash would be hype, but as of now we have nothing to lead on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I am not sure of that... By last year, Banjo & Kazooie were becoming fairly predictable due to a number of factors; namely:
  2. Phil Spencer being publicly open he was okay with the idea since Smash 4 DLC days
  3. Nintendo and Microsoft being fairly open on being business partners rather than rivals.
Crash... It's not like he isn't requested, just hasn't been for too long; then again character requests aren't everything. But even taking that into account, Activision is all over the place when it comes to Nintendo; sometimes they don't bother with their triple A games on their consoles, other times they make Bowser and Donkey Kong into Skylander characters, it's just hard to tell. Crash would be hype, but as of now we have nothing to lead on.
That's what I was saying. Banjo & Kazooie were much more popular and wanted for Smash Bros. while Crash is the bigger gaming icon. I think Nintendo will try to reach Activision to get him. But enough of that let's talk about another topic.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Until the Reset Era leak, Steve dominated predictions second only to Erdrick. Calling Banjo predictable only works with hindsight. Most outside of the Banjo faithful were reluctant at best to predict the duo.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Until the Reset Era leak, Steve dominated predictions second only to Erdrick. Calling Banjo predictable only works with hindsight. Most outside of the Banjo faithful were reluctant at best to predict the duo.
Yeah. People didn't consider Banjo & Kazooie to really be a lock until Shinobi spilled the beans. But a lot of people including myself still thought they were very likely before hand though due to the reasons Digital Hazard Digital Hazard listed above.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Banjo was "predictable" in the sense that almost everyone wanted him.

Crash or Geno could get in and people would likely claim they were predictable as well, even though there's a lot of debate on whether or not either would be chosen.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I believe if #77 isn't Crash it's Geno. #77 Legend of the Seven Stars it would be a cool reference to SMRPG. :starman::starman:#77:starman::starman:
Honestly feel I don't expect Geno at this point and feel if anything he'll only be returning as an Mii costume but hey I can be wrong I won't deny it.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
That's what I was saying. Banjo & Kazooie were much more popular and wanted for Smash Bros. while Crash is the bigger gaming icon. I think Nintendo will try to reach Activision to get him. But enough of that let's talk about another topic.
Iconicity isn't all when it comes to Smash though, but I respect your point of view, so agreed.
I wouldn't say only on hindsight, I personally wasn't a Banjo & Kazooie faithful and won't deny around 2014-16 I was amongst those who claimed they'd never happen, but by last year, their circumstances were getting somewhat predictable for them to finally appear, even if I agree people banked more on Steve for pretty logical reasons.

Then again that's just me.
I suspect if Crash ain't FP7 then its either Rayman or Paper Mario.
imo Rayman's situation is weird. Nintendo is more than willing to license him to cameo as a trophy and a spirit, and the model for his Smash 4 trophy was provided by Ubisoft, so they're also very willing to allow them to do what they want with him.

Why he hasn't been considered as a fighter is beyond me.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo was "predictable" in the sense that almost everyone wanted him.

Crash or Geno could get in and people would likely claim they were predictable as well, even though there's a lot of debate on whether or not either would be chosen.
I think both of them will get in though that is my opinion and a lot of others. Both are popular enough I would say though popularity really isn't a factor in character inclusion in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
One reason I can think of why Rayman hasn't been made into a playable character in Smash yet is due to his series not doing so well in Japan though that really shouldn't keep him from getting in.

SKX31

Smash Master
imo Rayman's situation is weird. Nintendo is more than willing to license him to cameo as a trophy and a spirit, and the model for his Smash 4 trophy was provided by Ubisoft, so they're also very willing to allow them to do what they want with him.

Further confounded by Altaïr's Mii costume Trailer using AC2's main theme (Ezio's Family). Since the costume isn't a deluxe one the theme didn't get included.

If there are no further plans to use AC, it could mean anything from nothing more planned to "opening the door further for the Prince of Persia". Who knows really?

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I believe if #77 isn't Crash it's Geno. #77 Legend of the Seven Stars it would be a cool reference to SMRPG. :starman::starman:#77:starman::starman:
There's a ton of characters that could arguably take 7 as an important number, and I don't see Sakurai planning an entire season of DLC around the number of the fighter being a nod to the character. I've just never liked this line of thinking for Geno...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's a ton of characters that could arguably take 7 as an important number, and I don't see Sakurai planning an entire season of DLC around the number of the fighter being a nod to the character. I've just never liked this line of thinking for Geno...
I mean I really don't care what number Geno would be but #77 would be a cool nod though.

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Look if any franchise gets a new installment everyone says they're locked in. I dunno if this is because of FE or something, but that's not always the case.
To be fair though, there are instances where a newly released instalment of a series is taken into consideration.

We know Rex would have been a fighter if not for bad timing.

But yeah, even then people tend to get too paranoid.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Imagine if Shinobi hints at another character again this year like he did last year with Banjo & Kazooie and Ridley the year before.
A few days before the rumored announcement day and Shinobi just posts a random "Prepare for unforeseen smashing." out of nowhere.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A few days before the rumored announcement day and Shinobi just posts a random "Prepare for unforeseen smashing." out of nowhere.
You mean for Ridley right? Because for Banjo & Kazooie he said something like: "Haven't seen Banjo in a game in a while. E3 sure is going to be a Smashing time."

Edit: Here it is:

He deleted it shortly after probably so he wouldn't get a a visit from Nintendo's lawyers lol!

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
You mean for Ridley right? Because for Banjo & Kazooie he said something like: "Haven't seen Banjo in a game in a while. E3 sure is going to be a Smashing time."

Edit: Here it is:

He deleted it shortly after probably so he wouldn't get a a visit from Nintendo's lawyers lol!
Oh no you misunderstand, I was talking hypothetically about Shinobi just dropping a cryptic line about Smash.

As for the Ridley hint, I think it was something like "This is going to be big" or something in that regard in a post before the direct in March 2018 that announced Smash Bros Ultimate.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman

When Ultimate was announced, I figured he'd be a lock for base roster. The fact that he STILL hasn't appeared as DLC is frankly mind-blowing to me.

The only reason I won't officially call him a lock (which I confidently did with Banjo right before the Shinobi leak, due to the frankly absurd amount of assuring signals coalescing at the time) is because... why not earlier?

Ubisoft and Nintendo share an almost creepy level of closeness these days. Mario + Rabbids showed that the two companies collaborate very well together, and that the Rayman universe mixes very well with Mario's aesthetic. Ubisoft clearly want Rayman in Smash over any other character (what with their overeagerness to supply a full 3D model for just a trophy in Smash 4, and the shameless amount of Smash-baiting/teasing they've done with the character), and the ArtsyOmni leak occurred early enough in Ultimate development for both companies to see how well-received Rayman's potential inclusion was by the Smash fanbase, and how disappointed people were to find out it wasn't really happening.

Tbh, I feel like the biggest knock against Rayman's chances are that it HASN'T happened already. If Nintendo wanted to do it, certainly it would've happened in the FIRST round of DLC, right? It's not like there were any legal or logistical hurdles to getting him in, so if he were coming, why did Nintendo seemingly pass over him already when the first pass was decided on? Unless the narrative of "only one pass was initially planned" isn't entirely accurate.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I'm reluctant to say any character is likely at this point. Nintendo has stepped up their anti-leak game big time comparatively to last year.

Consider this, who was actually expecting ARMS to start off the Fighter's Pass? I pretty much saw no one mentioning it, and yet low and behold it ended up as the opener for the entire pass. No leakers called it, and we're slowly approaching the reveal date; but even then no one trustworthy has genuinely come out and said who the ARMS character is, let alone Fighter 7.

Even before that, Terry was leaked by Nintendo themselves, and Byleth wasn't leaked at all. So really, the last character that was "leaked" was Banjo around a year ago.

Right now it feels like people are just saying Crash because he's another "big" character from a unrepresented franchise, but there hasn't been any major leakers throwing his name around at all (unless you count MandyCan); and the actual evidence supporting him is still pretty small. Not to mention that Crash didn't become vocally requested until towards the middle/end of last year; and even then characters like Doomguy and Rayman probably rival/beat him out in terms of a Smash fanbase. In truth Crash is niche in Japan nowadays, and I expect JP Nintendo to be making the picks.

That's not to say that Crash can't be character 7; but rather people just expect Crash because he's a big character instead of a good amount of evidence. Fighter 7 can be anyone from Sephiroth to Rex, there's no "practically confirmed" character at this point.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sony delayed their presentation due to what is currently going on in the world right now:

Human lives matter more than video games. Major props to Sony for doing this.
I know Nintendo usually stay away from doing statements such as these but it would be nice if they said something about the situation, despite of being a very japanese centric company.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

I keep saying this but I'm fairly certain the main reason Rayman even appears in Smash at all is because of the fact that Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan. Same thing with Shovel Knight.

The biggest indicator to me there is the fact that the all of the Rayman and Shovel Knight spirits are grouped with the misc. Nintendo IPs like ARMS and Sushi Striker in the spirits inventory, rather than being jammed in at the end with Bomberman, Akira and Shantae.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You know who's locked for FP2? It's crazy, hear me out. I only know the franchise, the source is valid and legit and believable and everything, dont worry.
The first character is from ARMS
Pfft, yeah right. If you actually knew anything you'd tell us which character from ARMS, like Nintendo certainly would.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In all seriousness, if Nintendo hadn't revealed to us in advance which series the next character would be from, people probably would've told you to move on from ARMS because it definitely wasn't happening.

I guess that's one good thing about this weird reveal. The people who wanted an ARMS character can speculate and be taken seriously, even if others don't really have a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom