• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ok ok, so picture this idea for Challenger Pack 11, otherwise known as the last Smash fighter (as of May 23rd, 2020).

The trailer fades in, with a dark outer-space setting, plenty of stars. The classic Halo theme slowly fades in as well, the camera zooms more quickly through space, down to the natural setting of a Halo ring. Suddenly, our hero soars in from above, to the tagline...

"Master Chief Finishes the Fight!"

Come on, that's like, the best tagline.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok ok, so picture this idea for Challenger Pack 11, otherwise known as the last Smash fighter (as of May 23rd, 2020).

The trailer fades in, with a dark outer-space setting, plenty of stars. The classic Halo theme slowly fades in as well, the camera zooms more quickly through space, down to the natural setting of a Halo ring. Suddenly, our hero soars in from above, to the tagline...

I dunno. I'd say this one's the best, even if it's for one game earlier;

"Dark Pit finally gets a Tagline!"

But seriously, that sounds cool. Not my personal Microsoft choice(that'd be Fulgore), but it fits well.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I'm all down for Master Chief. I'd be hyped as ****.

Especially after Doom Slayer has been deconfirmed.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Considering in Overwatch most people above a certain rank of expertise can read where Tracer will recall to, I'm assuming Smash players would also have no problem reading a Tracer recall and punishing accordingly.

Also, that's where balance would come in. If they do Tracer they should have cooldowns for abilities like recall and blink, otherwise it'd get pretty stupid pretty fast. With a decent enough cooldown Recall becomes something to use in an emergency to avoid one mistake, but not something that can save you constantly from a better player reading you and being in your head.
Tracer would work. You’re definitely right about that. But in order for Max to work more similar to the source material, she’ll be able to cancel the rewind at any time. So if the character sees a punish, just stop rewinding and now you can punish. But I definitely see where you’re coming from with Tracer. That’d work just fine.

Jeez. I don’t even like Halo that much and that reveal would give me goosebumps still.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I feel bad for FP11. Because whoever it is, there's going to be torches and pitchforks thrown at them by fans of characters who were disconfirmed.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I feel bad for FP11. Because whoever it is, there's going to be torches and pitchforks thrown at them by fans of characters who were disconfirmed.
No matter who it is, even if it's someone like Geno, Sora, or Master Chief, they will get enough backlash to make you think people weren't begging for them for a long while and will likely be treated as a black sheep for a while.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
In the fandom of Smash, whenever an Smash game runs its course of DLC, there's always salt and never pleasing the fans.
I am placing money even if Fighter Pass consisted of Waluigi/Geno/Doom Guy/Sora/Master Chief/Ryu Hayabusa/Dante/Pheonix Wright or any of the commonly talked about characters people have been vocal about for years, they still won't be satisfied and the same people who begged for them will find a reason to complain.

Kind of why I like the smaller/nicher/lesser talked about characters more. We're gonna get complaints anyways so may as well have some interesting choices for most wanteds.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While Smash has traditionally ended on more lowkey choices, if there was ever a time that trend would break, I honestly think it would be now. It's the final character in what Sakurai has openly acknowledged will likely be the biggest game in the series. I know it betrays standard marketing wisdom that you play your most impressive cards early, but this is also a send song to the series' magnum opus. I could see Sakurai pulling out some of that "I'm cutting Pac-Man if it's the Ghostly Adventures design" energy and fight to have Fighter #11 be a big deal.

Master Chief would be great for this, being both a massive deal to the gaming landscape who has both a ton of requests and a reputation as the ultimate long shot. I could also see Crash filling this role for similar reasons. Waluigi could also be good as a "Yes, we finally did it" type reveal, seeing how outcry for his inclusion has basically been present since the game's announcment.

Someone awhile ago mentioned the idea of including the would-be main character of Dragon King (Smash's prototype) as a free bonus. That would be an amazing gesture and really solidify this as the ultimate celebration of Smash Bros.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
If they are interested in "finisher" characters for Ultimate, I think some good choices are:
- Master Chief (Imagine him saying "Sir, I'm finishing the fight" as the trailer ends)
- Sora (The one who crossed all the worlds reaching the Final Destination)
- Waluigi (Just because of the overarching story that took him to get in)
- A Smash Original Character (Fighting Polygon Fighter, Master / Crazy Hand, Tabuu, Sandbag, Dragon King, you name it)

For me, I want Master Chief to be the "finisher"; Sora is in a weird place, but I would love if it happened; Waluigi is okay, but not my thing; A Smash Original Character would be okay, but it's not something that excites me as a "finisher".

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
It mainly depends on opinion, but I think that if we were to exclude opinion altogether, Waluigi would be the best final character. It’s a first party who’s been requested often for a while and has lead to more and more drama. But not if he’s the only big character in the pass. If he’s the only highly requested character in the pass then the people who hate him will go absolutely livid and I would have to take a vacation from the internet.
Of course, I’m not gonna be stubborn and say it could only be Waluigi. Master Chief could work, I guess Geno could work, Sora would definitely work, along with more. Steve, Rayman, Dixie Kong- the list goes on for a while.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If we're gonna talk about an 'epic finish' character, there are only a few I think would fit:

Master Chief would be the most obvious in my mind. Every thrid party so far has had a lot of Nintendo history, or been one of several PlayStation 'mascot-esque' characters. All Eastern. So far, the only Western characters we got are Nintendo first-party characters made by a second-party studio in a Western-focused-and-therefore-kinda-forgotten franchise, or the third party character who used to be from one of the aforementioned second party studios before being bought out. Speculation has really focused on Japan. Thus, a Microsoft exclusive character, exclusive to a console (!) that isn't really selling to any major extent in Japan (!!) from a genre that Japan tends not to favor (!!!), yet still being something incredibly recognizable, is a feat in itself. I really think that the Chief would bring the biggest 'WOW' factor to Smash since Cloud. He's really the only big one I see: Scorpion or Doomguy hit many of the same points, but I'm docking a few points from them since they don't have the 'exclusive to a direct competitor' status. Also since both have gotten recent games on Nintendo as well, so they're a little more in the realm of possibility.

The only first-party I'd consider in this place is Waluigi, and that's just for being the perpetual loser in Smash. It takes talent to have mainstream news articles written about getting snubbed again. It'd be less impressive to see him make the jump if Spring Man makes it first, but let's face it - you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know who Waluigi is.

Finally - and I know people will hate me for even thinking it - if Sakurai wants to blow people away with who he's adding, he could go back on his words again and add the one non-videogame character who's memetically synonymous with troll Smash picks: Goku. Seriously. I'd hate it as much as most of us here, but I was talking to one of my coworkers way back when the DLC first got announced, and he was even saying how mindblowing that would be. This is a guy who didn't recognize 4 out of the 5 DLC characters we got, but even he knows the memes. If they announced that, these board would implode.

But let's face it: this is Smash, and Smash will have its blowout characters early. I'm expecting the biggest characters to by probably packs 7 or 8, maybe 10 if they want to have a blowout for next year's E3, but you know that character 11 will be a total whimper. I wouldn't put it past them to drop a trailer for Fire Emblem game #17 around December, release it in July, and have it be just timed out so that blue-haired swordsman can get in as FP11 in December 2021. /s

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
he could go back on his words again and add the one non-videogame character who's memetically synonymous with troll Smash picks: Goku. Seriously. I'd hate it as much as most of us here,
I've always been of the mindset that people don't hate the idea of Goku getting into Smash because they hate Goku, they just hate what he would represent for the game as a whole, and the speculation scene, if he were to get in.

Like, trust me, I don't want those floodgates opened. But you can't deny that Goku would probably have a sick ****in' moveset.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If they are interested in "finisher" characters for Ultimate, I think some good choices are:
- Master Chief (Imagine him saying "Sir, I'm finishing the fight" as the trailer ends)
- Sora (The one who crossed all the worlds reaching the Final Destination)
Both of these would be incredible to see in a final smash trailer.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Either way, I'll play it safe and assume the best of the bunch is toward the front of the pass and we won't end things with anything crazy.

Base game ended with Incineroar, the first pass ended with Byleth, and I wouldn't be surprised if the second pass continued the pattern. If I'm wrong and be get someone "bigger", well, I can only benefit from having such low expectations.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Smash 4 ended well with Bayo though. I get that after that, she became the Meta-Knight of the game, but like Meta-Knight, the reveal is still good. Granted, Corrin was so mid that other people might've brought the hype down a little.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Smash 4 ended well with Bayo though. I get that after that, she became the Meta-Knight of the game, but like Meta-Knight, the reveal is still good. Granted, Corrin was so mid that other people might've brought the hype down a little.
I straight up forgot bayonetta was even in this game lol

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm calling it now. With the new Rayman trademarks, I think Rayman is officially over the 51% likely threshold.
There was the Rabbids Mii Costume, the Ubisoft bot, and the French survey that pointed in Rayman's favor, but now with the trademark that's a collaboration between Ubisoft and some other third party, I'm calling Rayman the most likely character to appear in Smash.
I still think Rayman is going to be a Mii Costume, but I cannot deny the evidence in his favor.

Yes, I did just watch PapaGeno's video.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I'm pretty hopeful with all the evidence going for him but I'm a still be cautious with my optimism. He's definitely looking more likely, but nothing to push him into the lock zone or anything. Let's hope for the best!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still think Rayman is going to be a Mii Costume, but I cannot deny the evidence in his favor.
I'm not sure that's an option. I mean, it's feasible for the costume to look nice, but I don't think sticking a "limbless" model onto a character that was animated with its limbs in mind would produce a very readable result. At the very least, Onslaught wouldn't make sense since the initial hit is a knee strike.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm not sure that's an option. I mean, it's feasible for the costume to look nice, but I don't think sticking a "limbless" model onto a character that was animated with its limbs in mind would produce a very readable result. At the very least, Onslaught wouldn't make sense since the initial hit is a knee strike.
I don't think Mii Costumes were meant to "make sense".
Though, to be fair, I originally deemed Rayman and Crash Bandicoot as competing for the same spot on the Fighter's Pass, but that could be completely illogical on my part.
I just don't think they'd put two characters in the same pass that are so fundamentally similar.

That's why I always thought that Crash would be playable and Rayman would be a Mii Costume due to being more similar to Mii Brawler than Crash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think Mii Costumes were meant to "make sense".
They are to the extent that you have to tell what the character's doing, and I think Rayman is one of few if not the only character who can't do that as a Mii Costume. I could be proven wrong (or right) though.

Though, to be fair, I originally deemed Rayman and Crash Bandicoot as competing for the same spot on the Fighter's Pass, but that could be completely illogical on my part.
I just don't think they'd put two characters in the same pass that are so fundamentally similar.
I don't see why. They are both cartoony platformer characters, but that's about where the differences end. Especially when getting into movesets and characterization, with Rayman being a teenager with fairly straightforward abilities and Crash Bandicoot being zany wacky fun in both his insane personality, and his moveset.

The only significant similarity I can think of between the two would be where their audiences lie, but I don't really have any information on that front.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Maybe hot take, I don't know yet: I think Goku would be the best finisher for Smash Ultimate if it were to be the final game in the series. I know 4th party characters aren't allowed (personally, I'd be cool with it as long as a case can be made for it and it was a "special" kind of thing), but if there were anyone to break that rule, I think it would have to be him, since he's been requested since the Brawl days as far as I can remember. Also, he wouldn't "open the floodgates" when there aren't any to open, right? Anyways, if the more likely scenario of a blowout character being a video game character were to occur, then I think it would be someone highly requested like Waluigi or Sora.

Speaking of "highly requested characters", who is "highly requested"? So far, I've got the following in no specific order:
  • Waluigi (Super Mario)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  • Rayman (Rayman)
  • Geno (Super Mario)
  • Rex (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Shantae (Shantae)
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Maybe hot take, I don't know yet: I think Goku would be the best finisher for Smash Ultimate if it were to be the final game in the series. I know 4th party characters aren't allowed (personally, I'd be cool with it as long as a case can be made for it and it was a "special" kind of thing), but if there were anyone to break that rule, I think it would have to be him, since he's been requested since the Brawl days as far as I can remember. Also, he wouldn't "open the floodgates" when there aren't any to open, right? Anyways, if the more likely scenario of a blowout character being a video game character were to occur, then I think it would be someone highly requested like Waluigi or Sora.

Speaking of "highly requested characters", who is "highly requested"? So far, I've got the following in no specific order:
  • Waluigi (Super Mario)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Rayman (Rayman)
  • Geno (Super Mario)
  • Shantae (Shantae)
Doom Slayer
Heihachi
Master Chief
Lloyd just off the top of my head.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
I don't see why. They are both cartoony platformer characters, but that's about where the differences end. Especially when getting into movesets and characterization, with Rayman being a teenager with fairly straightforward abilities and Crash Bandicoot being zany wacky fun in both his insane personality, and his moveset.

The only significant similarity I can think of between the two would be where their audiences lie, but I don't really have any information on that front.
Yeah tbh the only similarity is that they're platformer reps, other than that design, moves, companies, and everything is different

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

• Waluigi (Super Mario)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Rayman (Rayman)
  • Geno (Super Mario)
  • Shantae (Shantae)
Steve has been getting a lot of requests and poll votes outside of these boards.

Shroob

Sup?
I fear for a Rayman Amiibo, if only because it'll be fragile as heck I feel.

I know people have tossed around the idea of a bunch of invisible plastic on the body to make it seem like it's floating, but I feel like they'd sooner just have two clear pegs(That will 100% break off easily) to slot the hands onto, while keeping the feet and head close to the body.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Lloyd just off the top of my head.
Oh crap I forgot about him

I know people have tossed around the idea of a bunch of invisible plastic on the body to make it seem like it's floating, but I feel like they'd sooner just have two clear pegs(That will 100% break off easily) to slot the hands onto, while keeping the feet and head close to the body.
If Rayman's render was designed with an amiibo in mind (given amiibo are being produced for DLC fighters at all) such as in a crouching position, it could make him less wonky in that respect.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace

I actually posted a link farther up in the thread that shows some good ways on how it can be done! If ya wanna check that out.

Kinda odd that we've still heard nothing on dlc amiibos

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

• Waluigi (Super Mario)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Rayman (Rayman)
  • Geno (Super Mario)
  • Shantae (Shantae)
I'd add Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee on the first party front, they're evergreen and Dee in particular is up there with Sora and Rex as one of the most popular in Japan. On the third party front, I'd say some of the more recently discussed candidates like Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy have amassed quite the sizeable fandoms. Maybe not to match the ones on that list, but still worth mentioning. I'd say Phoenix Wright is highly requested but that might just be my bias speaking.

On that note, Dante support really fell off, huh? Guess after all the high expectations for FP5 some just couldn't take the disappointment. That's too bad.

Edit: Bomberman was really highly requested before his AT, I like to think of him as being highly requested too

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I actually posted a link farther up in the thread that shows some good ways on how it can be done! If ya wanna check that out.

Kinda odd that we've still heard nothing on dlc amiibos
Yeah, the 1st one in that link was what I had in mind, though a design like the 2nd would make things a lot easier.

Still looks like he's having a massive piece of plastic shoved up his ass though lol.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Yeah, the 1st one in that link was what I had in mind, though a design like the 2nd would make things a lot easier.

Still looks like he's having a massive piece of plastic shoved up his ass though lol.
Lmao unfortunately there's no way to get around that if he were to get an amiibo. Though I gotta say he definitely wouldn't be the first amiibo to have some plastic riding up his ass from what I've seen.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I've always been of the mindset that people don't hate the idea of Goku getting into Smash because they hate Goku, they just hate what he would represent for the game as a whole, and the speculation scene, if he were to get in.

Like, trust me, I don't want those floodgates opened. But you can't deny that Goku would probably have a sick ****in' moveset.
If they were to add Goku, making him the absolute final character for the game would be the best move. That way the flood gates stay closed until the next game which won’t be for a while and will probably have a lot of cuts.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only issue with Master Chief is that Sakurai knows damn well that it'd be impossible to top that. For real, not just because he's the mascot of competition but because Halo's legacy is ****ing legendary with Halo 3 being a fantastic example of it
Well, he did say there's no chance in hell he'll be able to top Ultimate either, so go balls to wall I say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom