• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Setting aside whether or not you think it'll happen, I don't see a reason for anyone to be rooting against alt characters.

Unless the idea of Ribbon Girl not having four jumps or Min Min not kicking is so horribly disgusting to you, alts would potentially allow you to play as your favorites who didn't get picked. Why would you prefer not having them playable at all?
Because you're not really. These character's identities are largely based off of how they play. If they're reduced down to just one playstyle then they're going to feel pretty hollow.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh, I just realized that amiibo theory may potentially be dead.

Unless they announce a June release date for Joker and possibly others within the next few weeks, we won't be getting any new amiibo when the ARMS character is released.

It's still possible since amiibo have been revealed as late as almost a month before their release, but a majority of them have been revealed roughly five months ahead of time.
You realize those would had been restocks right? Not new amiibos.

Amiibo theory lives on!

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Cool? I mean I thought the idea of 8 Koopalings of varying sizes riding around in a clown car was stupid back in Smash 4 speculation. A lot of good that opinion did me.
Koppa Kids work because really, the car is the character. Here we're talking about characters who clearly have different moves in their game and would behave different. Would it be Min Min if she didn't have the dragon arm? Would it be Ribbon Girl if she couldn't do her multiple jumps. Would it be normal that Ninjara is walking out with Toasters rather than his own arms? This would be like saying "Oh, they can just have Chun-Li and Guile be alts of Ryu." This idea is coming from people who never played ARMS and believe they are all the same.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Setting aside whether or not you think it'll happen, I don't see a reason for anyone to be rooting against alt characters.

Unless the idea of Ribbon Girl not having four jumps or Min Min not kicking is so horribly disgusting to you, alts would potentially allow you to play as your favorites who didn't get picked. Why would you prefer not having them playable at all?
If we could have not had Ganondorf playable at all in Melee over what he is now, I'd absolutely pick leaving him out for one game.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603

Because this Alt theory was ONLY born out of the fact that they didn't specify in the teaser which, if I'm being brutally honest, is a dumb reason to jump to that conclusion. It is completely, I repeat, completely baseless.

D

Deleted member

Because this Alt theory was ONLY born out of the fact that they didn't specify in the teaser which, if I'm being brutally honest, is a dumb reason to jump to that conclusion. It is completely, I repeat, completely baseless.
Basless? I think Hero has proven that Sakurai is willing to go the extra mile to represent a series.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Because you're not really. These character's identities are largely based off of how they play. If they're reduced down to just one playstyle then they're going to feel pretty hollow.
All ARMS characters share the same core playstyle, and most of what makes the battles unique comes from the different sets of arms, not the special abilities.

Again, I don't think many of the ARMS characters would be completely ruined if you didn't include their two special abilities. Is having two less jumps going to make Ribbon Girl feel hollow?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
All ARMS characters share the same core playstyle, and most of what makes the battles unique comes from the different sets of arms, not the special abilities.

Again, I don't think many of the ARMS characters would be completely ruined if you didn't include their two special abilities. Is having two less jumps going to make Ribbon Girl feel hollow?
Ribbon Girl's gimmick is small potatoes compared to the rest.

Min Min has her kicks that can disable attacks, Twintelle has Witch Time and the ability to float, Helix has his stretchy body, Spring Man has his comeback mechanic and his shockwave that also disables attacks, Ninjara has teleports, Dr. Coyle can ****in' fly, grow a third arm, AND turn invisible...

You can't tell me, in the face of all this, that all that really matters as far as the characters go is what ARMS they wield.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I was on some discord and I saw a screen of someone that apparently leak Kid cobra in Smash on some youtube videos: https://imgur.com/a/r6Grge1

You can also go on the original video and find the original comment as proof that is real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQ6_rwvMp8

That being said, it might not be a leak, but just some predictions, but I find it interesting because the wording doesn't really sounds like a prediction. Kid Cobra also seems like a weird choice imo, so I'm not really sure what to think about this but I still wanted to share the info here.

D

Deleted member

Min Min has her kicks that can disable attacks, Twintelle has Witch Time and the ability to float, Helix has his stretchy body, Spring Man has his comeback mechanic and his shockwave that also disables attacks, Ninjara has teleports, Dr. Coyle can ****in' fly, grow a third arm, AND turn invisible...

You can't tell me, in the face of all this, that all that really matters as far as the characters go is what ARMS they wield.
For Min Min, she really doesn't need to kick to still retain the appearance of Min Min. Same with Ninjara teleporting.

Like I understand Helix because that guy's a living sperm, but Ninjara and Min Min are just like every other fighter if you remove their specific gimmick--which isn't really much.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was on some discord and I saw a screen of someone that apparently leak Kid cobra in Smash on some youtube videos: https://imgur.com/a/r6Grge1

You can also go on the original video and find the original comment as proof that is real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQ6_rwvMp8

That being said, it might not be a leak, but just some predictions, but I find it interesting because the wording doesn't really sounds like a prediction. Kid Cobra also seems like a weird choice imo, so I'm not really sure what to think about this but I still wanted to share the info here.
>Obby

i feel like I've seen that name somewhere before... particularly, here...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For Min Min, she really doesn't need to kick to still retain the appearance of Min Min. Same with Ninjara teleporting.

Like I understand Helix because that guy's a living sperm, but Ninjara and Min Min are just like every other fighter if you remove their specific gimmick--which isn't really much.
But it's part of what makes them the character they are. Removing them in favor of having them as alts would, in fact, make the characters feel more hollow.

Plus, if we have a character that's just a bunch of ARMS reps shoved into one slot, we miss out on EVERY character gimmick. Then the character just becomes "stretchy arms, that's the gimmick!" and that's not as fun.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Fake as usual given Nintendo would be on their *****.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Basless? I think Hero has proven that Sakurai is willing to go the extra mile to represent a series.
No, baseless as in that the teaser revealed literally nothing outside of series. ONE hint of ambiguity and suddenly it's "Assist Trophy" this and "Alt Costume" that. It's ridiculous.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Isn't that the exact reason why people think the character isn't Spring Man?

You can't say, "It's dumb to think we're getting alts of multiple characters just because they didn't specify who the character will be. Also, I think the character is Min Min because they didn't specify who the character will be."

Not saying it's all that matters, but I am saying that it's not so crucial that it absolutely must be included in the moveset.

The focus of this character will likely be the range they can get with their arms, not a kick or some type of rage mechanic.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Koppa Kids work because really, the car is the character. Here we're talking about characters who clearly have different moves in their game and would behave different. Would it be Min Min if she didn't have the dragon arm? Would it be Ribbon Girl if she couldn't do her multiple jumps. Would it be normal that Ninjara is walking out with Toasters rather than his own arms? This would be like saying "Oh, they can just have Chun-Li and Guile be alts of Ryu." This idea is coming from people who never played ARMS and believe they are all the same.
Not necessarily. The ARMS that are interchangeable are what makes the characters so unique. Sure, they all have a little gimmick that can spice up the game and give you better movement options that better fit your play style but by and large every arm is unlockable for every character. Meaning that every character isn't AS unique as people are making it out to be.

Certain ones like Bite and Barq or whatever or Mechanica make a HUGE gameplay difference but a lot of them are just tailored for specific playstyles while mixing up the Arms on different character is what really matters. Which COULD be done in Smash however janky it may end up being. Otherwise, certain moves like Min-Min's kicks could be simplified and included for every character across the board.

D

Deleted member

But it's part of what makes them the character they are. Removing them in favor of having them as alts would, in fact, make the characters feel more hollow.

Plus, if we have a character that's just a bunch of ARMS reps shoved into one slot, we miss out on EVERY character gimmick. Then the character just becomes "stretchy arms, that's the gimmick!" and that's not as fun.
I guess that makes sense, but I'm only really expecting four characters to be likely and they all can represent ARMs fundamental gameplay, which I think Sakurai cares more about than the accuracy toward specific gimmicks.

Like believe me, obviously Mechanica or Kid Cobra would not be as cool or even possible as Spring Man alts, but they're not happening regardless. I'm inherently expecting Spring Man or Ribbon Girl by default, and I fully believe more is better than less if those two are what I'm working with.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Because each character have so much unique properties that having them be alts just strips always so much possible potential for each character. You can create a lot of unique ARMS fighters by just using their unique mechanics and their standard ARMS. Having alt characters give the impressions that the characters aren't that unique for one another. It would be great to have many ARMS characters in only if it can be done right, if it strips them all down to be just as basic as Springman then that would be disappointing.

D

Deleted member

No, baseless as in that the teaser revealed literally nothing outside of series. ONE hint of ambiguity and suddenly it's "Assist Trophy" this and "Alt Costume" that. It's ridiculous.
Eh. It's fun to speculate. Besides, if Nintendo was going to do Spring Man, they should have just said Spring Man outright. It's not our fault they kept it ambiguous lol.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm cool with knowing it's an ARMS character. It's finally something new to speculate on. Do I wish I knew exactly who right now? Yeah. But it's cool to know that June is the month we get both announcement and release of said ARMS character and possible an announcement of another character. Very exciting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not necessarily. The ARMS that are interchangeable are what makes the characters so unique. Sure, they all have a little gimmick that can spice up the game and give you better movement options that better fit your play style but by and large every arm is unlockable for every character. Meaning that every character isn't AS unique as people are making it out to be.
Except they are. Your character dictates your entire playstyle for a match. Sure they are like modifiers on a moveset (those being the ARMS you pick), but the nuances they bring make a ton of difference.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm gonna laugh if its Dr. Coyle or Max Brass this whole time meaning until further notice spirits, assists and mii costumes are "deconfirmations" showing all this speculating was for nothing. :laugh:

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Its also possible they could reference character specific gimmicks in the moveset.

Okay yeah Springman utilizing Min Min's kicks would really strange, but so is Byleth wielding the signature weapons of all three lords at once (something not even possible in his source game). So is the Koopalings changing into Shadow Mario or Alph piloting Olimar's ship.

I can see why that might annoy people but there is a precedent for it and it can't be ruled out entirely.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Its also possible they could reference character specific gimmicks in the moveset.

Okay yeah Springman utilizing Min Min's kicks would really strange, but so is Byleth wielding the signature weapons of all three lords at once (something not even possible in his source game). So is the Koopalings changing into Shadow Mario or Alph piloting Olimar's ship.

I can see why that might annoy people but there is a precedent for it and it can't be ruled out entirely.
Also, Ness and Lucas use moves that they can't use in the actual Mother games.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm gonna laugh if its Dr. Coyle or Max Brass this whole time meaning until further notice spirits, assists and mii costumes are "deconfirmations" showing all this speculating was for nothing. :laugh:
Oh, ditto. I can't wait to be here the day the Pro-Spiriters get shut down, because I WILL be playing Crab Rave afterwards!

D

Deleted member

Random question, but out of all the composers who have worked in Smash Ultimate who would you love to see remixing some Arms songs?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh, ditto. I can't wait to be here the day the Pro-Spiriters get shut down, because I WILL be playing Crab Rave afterwards!
you'd best be prepared to take the fattest L ever when the converse happens, then :smirk:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I'm saying is that it'd be a missed opportunity if they didn't make a single generic moveset that works for several characters but also include the arms of multiple characters (both playable and non-playable) so everyone gets a little piece of the moveset. Ninjara gets his boomerangs, Min Min gets her dragon beam, Master Mummy gets the giant fists, and Mechanica gets those weird hammers. You're representing multiple characters in a way that allows you to have alts of various characters, and having arms that weren't originally your own is something you can actually do in the game.

I'd much rather have a character like that instead of allowing Ninjara to teleport or have Min Min kick someone at the expense of no alts.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I'm sure they can but I still don't like the idea.

Also the Koopalings becoming Shadow Mario bothers me as much as Gaur Plain not taking place in Gaur Plain and the Mega Arm being referred to as the Hard Knuckle.

All I'm saying is that it'd be a missed opportunity if they didn't make a single generic moveset that works for several characters but also include the arms of multiple characters (both playable and non-playable) so everyone gets a little piece of the moveset. Ninjara gets his boomerangs, Min Min gets her dragon beam, Master Mummy gets the giant fists, and Mechanica gets those weird hammers. You're representing multiple characters in a way that allows you to have alts of various characters, and having arms that weren't originally your own is something you can actually do in the game.

I'd much rather have a character like that instead of allowing Ninjara to teleport or have Min Min kick someone at the expense of no alts.
And all I'm saying is that it will be a poor representation of everyone stuck as an alternate costume (and potentially even the main costume).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom