• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think I have even more reason to think it's Min Min now.

So, remember that glitch that happened with Bayonetta after that small buff in 7.0.0 that made her shield bigger?

This has happened before with Banjo and Hero with the Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter glitch that crashed the game, and most recently Byleth from a visual glitch with Simon and Richter charging their whips.

https://arch.b4k.co/v/thread/494706623/#494706623

Considering the similarities between these characters (Banjo and Duck Hunt both having somewhat similar features, Mii Swordfighter having multiple specials like Hero, and Byleth using a whip-like attack like the Belmonts) it's very safe to assume these characters were used as bases for development of the other characters.

So that would mean Fighter 6 would need to use Bayonetta as a base, someone with aerial kicks and plenty of range with normals and specials. And which ARMS character just so happens to use kicks to attack and deflect enemy attacks?
Didn’t Banjo use Ridley as a base though?

also, some have theorized Bayonetta is a base for Twintelle instead, because hair attacks and slowing opponents down (which is what Twintelle can do) but I think it is Min Min

also I researched that Ness glitch I keep talking about. Still only saw it in another discord but it involves his eyes disappearing, idk what causes it. I am once again asking if anyone can confirm the existence of this glitch

MagnesD3

Smash Master

So, remember that glitch that happened with Bayonetta after that small buff in 7.0.0 that made her shield bigger?

This has happened before with Banjo and Hero with the Duck Hunt and Mii Swordfighter glitch that crashed the game, and most recently Byleth from a visual glitch with Simon and Richter charging their whips.

Considering the similarities between these characters (Banjo and Duck Hunt both having somewhat similar features, Mii Swordfighter having multiple specials like Hero, and Byleth using a whip-like attack like the Belmonts) it's very safe to assume these characters were used as bases for development of the other characters.

So that would mean Fighter 6 would need to use Bayonetta as a base, someone with aerial kicks and plenty of range with normals and specials. And which ARMS character just so happens to use kicks to attack and deflect enemy attacks?
I’ve heard an argument for Twintelle due to the hair fist attacks and the slow down dodge ability also Twintelle and bayonetta have similar proportions..

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Yeah Banjo and Kazooie were actually based on Ridley and I don’t think we heard about who Hero was based on so glitch theory kind of falls apart there.

On another note as I just wanted to mention I’ve heard about fatmans theory which from what I can gather is that all characters that have a tail or long appendage they got a shield buff which then made him think that fighter 6 would have a long appendage or tail. I may be missing some stuff but I think I got the gist. Now he’s saying that it was right because they have long arms but I don’t really see how a bunch of shield buffs correlate to a character. Yeah sure you have what happened but you don’t have why it happened.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The way Twintelle and Bayonetta use their hair is completely different.

Twintelle's hair basically just functions as two giant arms on her head.
Bayonetta's hair covers her like a skinsuit and disappears when she summons a hair demon. She doesn't actually "attack" with them.

They really share no similarities besides being... women.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
You just proved exactly how they could include multiple ARMS characters, despite arguing against it before.
how none of those characters had thier abilities chnaged. making all the ARMs characters share one chaarcter model makes no snese. minmin twintelle and springman on one model makes no sense.
the characters i mentioned had small attributes made to thier physical model. some changes are so small (bayonetta) you'd not even notice them unless you look closely and compare to the source game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The way Twintelle and Bayonetta use their hair is completely different.

Twintelle's hair basically just functions as two giant arms on her head.
Bayonetta's hair covers her like a skinsuit and disappears when she summons a hair demon. She doesn't actually "attack" with them.
B-B-B-B-B-B-But the glitch! *insert crying wojak*

Honestly the glitch seems like a weird reason to say that it's [insert character] unless it has been proven to be related to other characters. Not possible, not plausible, proven. That's just my stupid take though, burn me at the stake if you want. :nifty:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Bit of a random question, but I'm curious.
Out of ALL the playable franchises currently in Smash, which one(s) would you add a new Fighter to?
I don't know the exact page this post will appear in, so I'll just spoiler tag the list so it doesn't get in the way with that page's current discussion.
Super Mario: Pauline

Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong

Zelda: Ganon

Metroid: Declone Dark Samus

Yoshi: Yarn Yoshi

Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee

Star Fox: Uhh...

Pokemon: Sirfetch'd because Pokemon is long overdue for its first anime swordsman

F-Zero: No one

Mother: No one

Ice Climbers: No one

Fire Emblem: Edelgard

Game & Watch: No one

Kid Icarus: Medusa, but she's not a Palutena echo

WarioWare: Ashley

Pikmin: Steve

R.O.B.: No one

Animal Crossing: Tom Nook

Wii Fit: No one

Punch Out: Uhh...

Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra

Duck Hunt: No one

Metal Gear: Raiden

Sonic: Dr. Eggman

Mega Man: Uhh...

PAC-MAN: No one

Street Fighter: Chun-Li

Final Fantasy: Sephiroth

Bayonetta: Uhh...

Mii: Mii Mage

Splatoon: Octoling, but they're not Inkling echoes

Castlevania: Alucard

Persona: Uhh...

Dragon Quest: That DQV Hero who I think was said that he couldn't work with what we got out of Hero

Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda

Fatal Fury: Geese Howard

ARMS: Apparently anyone after Spring Man is free to be the 2nd rep. Still want Min Min to break that perception.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

I don’t know, this still seems a little too far fetched to me. I also feel like all these glitches in characters is people seeing yet another pattern that isn’t actually there, as only banjo and maybe Hero’s “glitches” really seem like they’re actually connected.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean... if you're talking about the general gaming community, then I pretty much agree with that lol. The regular folk who isn't into Smash would see Waluigi and say "oh, after all the memes he finally got in, cool" at best.

If we talk about the Nintendo/Smash fanbase, then yeah, Waluigi would make a bigger buzz. Outside of that bubble? I really doubt it.
even inside the fanbase i'd argue those dante and zero would still be bigger. 2b mabe not becuase being on smashbaords has shown me to a lot of people here if a character isnt on a Nintendo system they basically dont exist. i saw people saying 2b couldnt be in becuase she'd be "mai'ed" there's a lot of bubble victims here.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I care about more than one character, but he's the only one who fits the question and who is truly important to me. I don't believe that all the characters others listed matter to them as much as Skull Kid does to me.
Granted. But the question wasn't "Who really matters to you." it was "Who would you add."

Most of my additions are characters I DO really want. But other people maybe are more interesting in trying to satisfy everyone, rather than just themselves.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s a number of ways the ARMS pick(s) could work.

If it’s a composite character (which I’m actually a bit more iffy on now), their abilities would be designated to their specials for sure.

In terms of how they play, in ARMS, you can put out one fist, two at a time, and change the direction. There’s also the customizable part of the hands. I would think the ARMS attachments would work as different attacks in the moveset.

So it becomes, do they make the fist trajectory movable? Do they allow you to punch with one arm at a time? It’s a weird and interesting idea.

There’s also the concept for the double armed grab...would it be their regular grab? Function as a command grab special? I think it all comes down to the bigger question of, “Who is it?”. That would drastically change how the characters play.

It’s a tough question, but also a good one. Glad we’re talking about gameplay!

blackghost

Smash Champion
if i was forced to do a all nintendo pass

wonder red
akira (astral chain)
Lyn
Elma
midna and wolf link
Lloyd

nice mix of retro and newer characters. with elma, Lloyd, and akira all hopefully adding new mechanics and not just being nostalgia bait.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from just long range attacks, which became a little less special after Corrin, Simon, and Byleth, I think the ARMS character should have long grabs too. Like, something that would reach halfway across Final Destination.

Melee Marth would be jealous.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Aside from just long range attacks, which became a little less special after Corrin, Simon, and Byleth, I think the ARMS character should have long grabs too. Like, something that would reach halfway across Final Destination.

Oh definitely. It'd be balanced by the fact that is kinda slow and gets loses to everything except other grabs (which it clashes with).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I say have their grab aerial actually be an aerial grab.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I have the feeling that the ARMS character moveset will be more simpler than we're thinking.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
There’s a number of ways the ARMS pick(s) could work.

If it’s a composite character (which I’m actually a bit more iffy on now), their abilities would be designated to their specials for sure.

In terms of how they play, in ARMS, you can put out one fist, two at a time, and change the direction. There’s also the customizable part of the hands. I would think the ARMS attachments would work as different attacks in the moveset.

So it becomes, do they make the fist trajectory movable? Do they allow you to punch with one arm at a time? It’s a weird and interesting idea.

There’s also the concept for the double armed grab...would it be their regular grab? Function as a command grab special? I think it all comes down to the bigger question of, “Who is it?”. That would drastically change how the characters play.

It’s a tough question, but also a good one. Glad we’re talking about gameplay!
oh man, despite bringing up the question of how they would play, I really am at a loss for ideas as of now lol. I think I'll take a stab at it though, probably editing this post as time goes on with new ideas I can think of to answer these specific questions. Because of that, here's what I've got so far:

I think they should probably just leave this as the regular grab. it would would great as a command grab, but there is already so much stuff that could and should be packed into an ARMS character's moveset over that, it really is just best if they leave it to the regular grab. I feel like doing that would make the character more unique overall anyways, as it means their grab won't just be a basic grab like most other characters in the game. I guess it would be sort of like some kind of tether grab, though even then I'm not sure if it should be that or something totally unique that only LOOKS like a tether grab. it seems answering these questions only brings up more questions lol.

I guess just have the 1-2 punch of the arms function as their Fsmash, similarly to Link's, in that performing the input once will throw out a single punch, but pressing the A button again will throw out a second punch. I guess you could have it aimed before the punch the same way other Fsmashes are, but also use the control stick to move it through the air while it's moving, however doing that means they couldn't move around the same way they do ingame. Maybe have the smash attacks be super strong punches that can't be aimed midflight, but have the tilts be regular punches that can be aimed, sort of like how megaman's ftilt and nair have him use his grab, the ARMS rep can throw out a punch and have it aimed while they're moving at the same time? I don't know, this is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be when I initially went to answer this question...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Where on earth are people getting that Banjo used Ridley as a base? I'd really like some sauce on that.

Oh yeah, I was gone for a while again so my reaction is late but... ARMS huh. Probably Min Min. Not terribly exciting but I'm glad a new Nintendo franchise is in.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why is everyone saying that Banjo & Kazooie use Ridley as a base? I tried looking it up but I've seen nothing that suggests that.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Zelda is an A list series, it deserves the same level of rep page as Mario or Pokémon so it will never be a problem of having too many. The problem is FE a C tier franchise has as manny reps as the big guns and the characters in smash from their franchise aren’t visually distinct, are often not even the most popular in their franchise, often wield a generic sword/play similar and several are true one offs.
if you are still calling FE a C tier franchise you are either willfully ignorant or have been in a coma for 5-9 years.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
What do you guys think of this idea for the Arms rep's reveal trailer?
It's good and I would like to see it but my money's on a sort of redoing of the Terry Trailer. They've already teased us that it's going to be one of the 15 ARMS fighters so it would be fitting to see them all fight for the invitation.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

blackghost

Smash Champion
Just saying you don't get multiple games, an anime movie, a trading card game and a popular mobile game for like 30 years between the NES era and now if your a C tier series.

Do people in north America just not watch enough fantasy fiction or something?

Because as a kid with no knowledge of the series when I played melee and brawl I could that Marth and Roy were nobles and that Ike was some wandering swordman.
people really just dont take time to see what the characters clothing is saying. things like clothing matter especially in an RPG or storybased game. Marth is wearing various shades of blue and purple. he's a royal.
ike is wearing clothing that looks like some kind of wanderer or commoner, yet he wield a giant weapon. bounty hunter, commmoner, or mercenary.

the harder ones are byleth and corrin because they fall away from troupes.

people really act like the only way the can identify character is based on their face and hair.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
you just witness what years of reddit tourism and desperation to enter a "sekrit klub" does to an already mentally unstable board on the internet...
It was actually more making fun of those type of depraved nintendo fans you see on twitter.

You know those types that are super into nintendo girls, probably think those teddy bear characters in Animal Crossing are hot. Hate those dudes.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm not saying this as someone who's never really been interested in FE. I just think people tend to overexaggerate how successful it is because of one mobile game and the number of characters it has in Smash.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.45 million
Splatoon 2 - 9.81 million
Splatoon - 4.94 million
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 3.04 million
Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 2.58 million
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1.88 million (first three days, Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Fates - 1.84 million
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 1.79 million

A lot of these numbers are old and are likely higher (particularly the 3DS games), but I don't think FE belongs in the same tier as Splatoon and AC. Sales have been almost identical to Kirby games, so whatever column Kirby belongs in is where I'd put FE.
"that one mobile game" has grossed 500 million. you cant ignore that. you also didnt add fire emblem shadows of Valentia. and that 2.58 mllion number is out of date. its two months old.

yes a mobile game CAN be carried by whales in revenue. but its also a matter to get that many people to WANT to whale on a game. in comparison dragalia lost has grossed 100 million. while heroes had a one year ahead start that doesnt equate to a gap of 400 million.

as of right now the only thing going against FE is inexplicably it is the only first party nintendo game with subpar dlc content.
when people make a tier list of Nintendo games honestly its not that FE isnt up there, its more like nothing is catching pokemon or mario at this point, it virtually impossible.

S tier: mario pokemon
A tier: splatoon, Fire emblem, animal crossing
B tier: donkey kong, kirby, yoshi,
sporadically release a new game and maybe care about tier: fox, metroid
act like we will eventually revive tier: f-zero, golden sun

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
if you are still calling FE a C tier franchise you are either willfully ignorant or have been in a coma for 5-9 years.
Well considering what a "tier" is is completely subjective, maybe it's just...ya know, that.

I only consider Mario, Pokemon and Zelda to be Nintendo's A-tier franchises.
I'm not sure of every franchise that I'd put in the B-tier, but it contains the likes of Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid, etc. And Fire Emblem AIN'T in that tier.

Last edited:

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
how none of those characters had thier abilities chnaged. making all the ARMs characters share one chaarcter model makes no snese. minmin twintelle and springman on one model makes no sense.
the characters i mentioned had small attributes made to thier physical model. some changes are so small (bayonetta) you'd not even notice them unless you look closely and compare to the source game.
This is the last time I'll bring this up, as countless people including myself already proved that this isn't an issue.

Spring Man and Ninjara have similar enough proportions to share a model without changing much of there appearance. Same goes for Ribbon Girl and Min Min. All four of them have average young adult body types, and it wouldn't be that serious to slightly asjust all of them to be the same height.

Also, this is the same game that made all the Koopalings, a group of characters the have completely different body types and sizes, share a model with Bowser Jr. And some of them look straight up awful. If you mean to tell me that the four ARMS characters "wouldn't make sense" as the same model, you need to remember what game we're talking about.

Smash has prioritized fan service and representation over accuracy to the source time and time again, and the Koopalings are a glaring example of that.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ask the members of the modding community like jam1garner and maybe Mastaklo if you need to know more about what's been datamined from Smash Ultimate.
PushDustin seems to be keeping tabs with the Smash hacking community as well.

If I recall, they apparently made Piranha Plant using data from Bowser jr as well.
If I'm not mistaken, they generally tend to need the characters armature (aka their skeleton) and data revolving around it in order to develop other characters, not their physical models. It helps to speed up development time over starting completely from scratch.

Last edited:
This is the last time I'll bring this up, as countless people including myself already proved that this isn't an issue.

Spring Man and Ninjara have similar enough proportions to share a model without changing much of there appearance. Same goes for Ribbon Girl and Min Min. All four of them have average young adult body types, and it wouldn't be that serious to slightly asjust all of them to be the same height.

Also, this is the same game that made all the Koopalings, a group of characters the have completely different body types and sizes, share a model with Bowser Jr. And some of them look straight up awful. If you mean to tell me that the four ARMS characters "wouldn't make sense" as the same model, you need to remember what game we're talking about.

Smash has prioritized fan service and representation over accuracy to the source time and time again, and the Koopalings are a glaring example of that.
It's also the game that made male/female Byleth the same height (normally there's probably a 5-8 inch difference, I'm bad with distances) and made Chrom the same height or shorter than his daughter who might normally be up to his eyeballs.

Smash definitely doesn't care about height consistancy. I'd be slightly more concerned with proportions, since that's the reason we were given for Isabelle being made more than an echo, if I'm remembering correctly.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
It was actually more making fun of those type of depraved nintendo fans you see on twitter.

You know those types that are super into nintendo girls, probably think those teddy bear characters in Animal Crossing are hot. Hate those dudes.
Trust me, it’s the former. Considering it’s partially pulling from a pasta from /v/ that I actually made lol. It’s just textbook 4chan ****posting.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as how each ARM would work, it would vary based on ARM type:
  • The Glove ARMS (Toaster, Sparky, Buff, Chilla, Bubb, Nade, & Roaster) these are the most likely to be used in normals, as they don't have any special trajectories.
  • The Curve ARMS (Boomerang, Chakram, Ramram, & Coolerang), are likely to be used in normal attacks. They will allow you to curve your attacks up or down.
  • The Wide Shot ARMS (Tribolt & Triblast) are classified as Multi-Shot ARMS, but their use is the area they cover. These may be counted as projectiles even though the shots they fire are still attached to the ARM as they're fired. I don't expect we'll see these ARMS unless we get solo Spring Man, and if we do they'll likely be modified to hit vertically. Alternitively, they could be used as an Up Smash, Up Aerial, or Down Aerial since the trajectory would make sense there.
  • The Popper ARMS could be used as an Up Aerial. Otherwise, I don't see them being used unless we get solo Ribbon Girl. These ARMS are classified as multi-shot ARMS, but they don't really seem to act like a multi-hit in the game.
  • The Whip ARMS (Slapamander & Slamamander) will probably be either a Forward Smash, or a tether grab Up Special like Vine Whip.
  • The Heavy ARMS (Megaton & Megawatt) are high damage and high priority. These will likely be used in a Forward Smash (which will probably have about as much range as Byleth's Forward Smash, if not a bit shorter due to it's huge hitbox). Since the Megawatt can cause paralysis, I'd bet we'll see the Megaton used instead.
  • The Multi-Shot ARMS (Retorcher & Revolver) are good Neutral Special material. They fire three "bullets" in rapid succession. The "bullets" they fire are attached to the ARM even after being fired, but they may be counted as projectiles anyway.
  • The Bird ARMS (Phoenix & Thunderbird) are classified as curve ARMS, but I feel like these will be counted as projectiles.
  • The Beam ARMS (Dragon & Ice Dragon) are the most likely to be used in Special Attacks, particularly the Neutral Special. They fire a beam of energy, and when charged, their beams linger for a bit.
  • The Hammer ARMS (Whammer & Kablammer) will likely be used as a Down Smash or Down Special, since they will jolt up, then slam onto the ground to deal damage. They will probably also make them much less shorter ranged then the character's other attacks.
  • The Missile ARMS (Homie & Seekie) will home in on opponents. The will likely see use as a Side Special. They both explode like bombs, but the Seekie can paralyze you instead of dealing straight damage.
  • The Umbrella ARMS (Parasol & Parabola) are probably going to take the creative liberty route and be used as an Up Special using the Parasol specifically.
  • The Vertical Shot ARMS (Hydra & Biffler) are vertical versions of the wide shot ARMS. In Smash, I'm pretty sure they'd be used identically, with the vertical based ones having a wider attack radius. They aren't connected to any top-contenders or particularly interesting as attacks, so I don't think we'll see these at all.
  • The Bouncy ARMS (Blorb and Glusher) are categorized as Heavy ARMS, but they bounce on the ground like Mario's Fireball. These ARMS are most likely to be used as a Side Special, though it may be used for a Down Special instead.
  • The Shield ARMS (Guardian & Clapback) are prime Down Special material, being awkward shield/trap things. The Clapback could also just be used as a normal reflector. They could also use the Shield ARMS in a tackle like Dash Attack.
  • The Nunchuck ARMS (Funchuk & Brrchuk) will have a wide attack radius (or potentially narrow if the other way it fires is used). To be honest, I don't think we'll see this ARM type.
  • We will not see the Scorpio ARM.
  • We will not see the Skully ARM.
  • We probably won't see the Lokjaw ARM unless we get solo Dr. Coyle. In which case it will probably be a Neutral Special.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
It's also the game that made male/female Byleth the same height (normally there's probably a 5-8 inch difference, I'm bad with distances) and made Chrom the same height or shorter than his daughter who might normally be up to his eyeballs.

Smash definitely doesn't care about height consistancy. I'd be slightly more concerned with proportions, since that's the reason we were given for Isabelle being made more than an echo, if I'm remembering correctly.
Honestly I really don't think Isabelle being a full fledged character rather than an echo had anything to do with her height even if that was a stated reason. They most likely chose to make Isabelle a unique character is because she's the most popular and marketable character Nintendo has made in the past decade outside of maybe Inkling.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I honestly think that the ARMS characters normals are actually going to be regular, non-stretchy punches. Kinda like how Simons REAL whip attacks are all his smash attacks, and his normals are all, like, these weird punches where he just holds the whip close. Those are not attacks that Simon(or Richter) have ever had, but they have them in Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A part of me is honestly kinda wondering if the ARMS character will be Max Brass or Dr. Coyle. They play the most important core and part of the series and plot to it.

On one hand we'd get and DLC super heavyweight on the other hand we'd get yet again another female villain after:ultdarksamus:. Wendy doesn't count as she's an costume.

Thus spirits, mii costumes and assists remain "deconfirmed". :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom