• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Also on the topic of first party vs third party characters, my thoughts are we can just have nobody because Wave 2 is, to quote Sakurai, "Moving the endgoal," and was never promised to us before Terry's reveal.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hey guys! I'm unbanned.
Before someone says Twintelle, I say Twintelle is more the ass of ARMs and not the face. I don't think she's being chosen.
Well said, Twintelle is indeed the simp pick.

I think the fact that Smash movesets have so much more stuff packed into them than ARMS movesets is justification for multiple ARMS characters filling out a single slot -- different parts of the moveset can express the attributes of different characters. Think of it like Byleth using the different relics, but if Byleth had full-on alts for Dmitri, Edelgard, and Claude, instead of recolors.

also why banned?

D

Deleted member

I still reject this example on the grounds that Dark Samus has been misrepresented due to not having any of its natural abilities, as well as abilities it does not have access to.
That's exactly my point. Dark Samus is the ultimate flanderization of a character added solely so we can say Dark Samus is in the game. The same can be applied to Min Min, Ninjara, and Ribbon Girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Well said, Twintelle is indeed the simp pick.

I think the fact that Smash movesets have so much more stuff packed into them than ARMS movesets is justification for multiple ARMS characters filling out a single slot -- different parts of the moveset can express the attributes of different characters. Think of it like Byleth using the different relics, but if Byleth had full-on alts for Dmitri, Edelgard, and Claude, instead of recolors.

also why banned?
That's actually a good point. Sakurai combined Richter's and Simon's moves to fit both characters. The same can be done with the big 4 I mentioned and it would make their combined slot fit more naturally.

Also was banned for too many callout posts.

Can != should. If it's bad with Dark Samus it's bad with the ARMS cast.
"Bad" isn't my point though. Just because they can be different doesn't mean they will be. My point isn't to tell you "suck it up, kid." You can have your opinion over how you feel about it. My point is "this is most likely what they're going to do and all of them being unique wont stop Sakurai."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's actually a good point. Sakurai combined Richter's and Simon's moves to fit both characters. The same can be done with the big 4 I mentioned and it would make their combined slot fit more naturally.

Is it really combining moves when everything Richter does in Smash is fully replicatable by him in his own games? I only played him in Portrait of Ruin but he has all the subweapons and whip strikes? Just disagree with this comparison

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

Agree to agree -- though I'd probably replace Ninjara with Max Brass, mostly due to preference and more congruity to Springman. I do think a cool payoff for the "the next character is from ARMS" tease would be "this character is ARMS".

Is it really combining moves when everything Richter does in Smash is fully replicatable by him in his own games? I only played him in Portrait of Ruin but he has all the subweapons and whip strikes? Just disagree with this comparison
Simon can't do the dropkick, spin attack, divekick, or uppercut (d-tilt, dash attack, dair, or up-b), and Richter can only whip forward and can't swing from things with his whip (though he can do the dangle). They definitely took some liberties giving the Belmonts each other's abilities.

And in terms of other changes Smash made to characters, there's also Byleth, who can wield the Relics from all the house leaders, despite only being able to wield the Sword of the Creator in his/her home game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Richter stole Simon's forgettable whip twirly thing from Super Castlevania 4. Also I think Sakurai playfully said something like "Simon stole from Richter more than the other." Spring Man can totally patent steal from other characters.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
So um.....Adeleine and New Horizons Tom Nook's...really lookin' good for 1st party characters. And Splatoon 3-I mean...Ninjala could be a good addition since we got both Splatoon AND ARMS. Probably too soon, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
real talk, for a fighting game, ARMS characters don't have that many moves to work with

it mostly boils down to a left punch, a right punch, a grab, a dash, a block, and a jump, with a couple unique attributes here and there, don't think that alone is enough for smash

i could totally see em pull a simon/richter and combine moves from several characters to help flesh the moveset out

it'd be a bit unconventional and strip the individual characters of their unique abilities but it ain't really out of the question

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like it's less pooling their abilities together and more giving Simon access to abilities used in later games.

I do think a cool payoff for the "the next character is from ARMS" tease would be "this character is ARMS".
It would be pretty interesting if the ARMS fighter was a custom character like the Mii Fighters, but instead of changing movesets, you customize their attributes by selecting their ARMS, and potentially, who wields them.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I feel like it's less pooling their abilities together and more giving Simon access to abilities used in later games.

It would be pretty interesting if the ARMS fighter was a custom character like the Mii Fighters, but instead of changing movesets, you customize their attributes by selecting their ARMS, and potentially, who wields them.
Except 8-direction whipping is something only Simon has, and the acrobatic stuff is something only Richter has -- not Gabriel belmont, not Trevor Belmont, not Soma Cruz, not Alucard. I think Sakurai even stated that he pooled their abilities in the direct where he revealed them -- something along the lines of "they both use attacks from the other's games, so it's hard to tell who's copying who" or something.

Also please no more characters where you have to go into a separate menu.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Portrait of Ruin isn't really Richter's game, he's just playable in a bonus non-canon mode and I don't remember being able to do diagonal strikes with the whip there

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well if y'all wanna sum up how you feel about each pick, you can use this roster maker

Here's mine
If we're talking who we want, here's mine.

20200328_132543.png

Kid Cobra is literally a sports-jockey skateboarding snake. That is badass, and a moveset designed around that would have so much personality and style. Probably the most out of everybody in the cast outside of Lola.

Mechanica is just funny. She is literally just a normal human girl in a mech. Her tiny human body is just not built for this sport, so it makes the juxtaposition adorable.

DAf3Q4LUwAEzYOI.jpg

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
If we're talking who we want, here's mine.

View attachment 267499

Kid Cobra is literally a sports-jockey skateboarding snake. That is badass, and a moveset designed around that would have so much personality and style. Probably the most out of everybody in the cast outside of Lola.

Mechanica is just funny. She is literally just a normal human girl in a mech. Her tiny human body is just not built for this sport, so it makes the juxtaposition adorable.

View attachment 267500
>not having Twintelle, Min Min, or Dr Coyle as your most wanted

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Happy 18th Birthday to Sora and Kingdom Hearts today!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's really hard for me to make a first party FP, when most options would be cool and I don't really have a most wanted. But let's try:

FP6: Spring Man/Ribbon Girl/Min Min/Ninjara (as Echoes or alts)
FP7: Waluigi (E3 reveal, or what was intended to be)
FP8: Isaac
FP9: Bandana Dee
FP10: Rex & Pyra (E3 reveal, maybe)
FP11: Dixie Kong (the "disappointing" and "controversial" final reveal, people ***** about getting a glorified Echo or something dumb like that)

Just for fun here's a "just first party AT promotions" pack

FP6: Spring Man
FP7: Waluigi
FP8: Isaac
FP9: Ashley
FP10: Skull Kid (E3 reveal)
FP11: Lyn (you can't have a disappointing ending without Fire Emblem amirite? For maximum salt replace Skull Kid with Krystal so that Zelda keeps getting shafted)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Portrait of Ruin isn't really Richter's game, he's just playable in a bonus non-canon mode and I don't remember being able to do diagonal strikes with the whip there
If you're referring to Fair and Bair when angled, Simon can't do it like that either, so this is just getting pendantic for the sake of it
Really? Damn. Simon is a god damn plagiarist.
Portrait of Ruin is so goddamn good that the Netflix show referenced it lmao

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Trolling/spam
Replacing Pit and Palutena with the absolute no-names that are Great Value Palutena and (after googling what the hell Whirlo is) Green Grimace is a terrible idea.
It's because of opinions like this you're not in charge of anything important. You only think in terms of "LE EPIC HYYYYPE!!!" instead of gameplay. Just adding characters because people want them isn't a real reason to have them in the game, considering most characters the general public ask for offer next to nothing gameplay-wise. Your "ideal roster" would have smash played by people for at most a week before people drop it, due to how un-engaging the gameplay is.
That's peasant ****, literally who
"nOOOOOOOOO NOT THE HECKIN PALUTINOS AND PITTOS
YOUUUU CANT REMOVE THEM nOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

* Whirlo uses all his power to remove them from existence *

"I HAVE TO TELL MY REDDIT BROS™ ABOUT THIS"

"BUT FIRST"

* opens reddit *

* sees drunk Isabelle befriending doom man while epically bro fisting *

* clicks upvote *

"Oh. My. God. That was... E P I C ! ! ! !"

* Starts feeling lustful energy for Nintendo females *

"Hmmmm I have already looked at erotica of the yellow canine" * rubs isabelle amiibo gently with hand *

* Remembers Palutena moving her tremendous, wider than wide, bigger than big, buttocks from Super Smash Bros Palutena Trailer E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U™ *

"OH YES I KNOW"

"Suddenly Remembers Whirlio fellow has deleted Palutena from existance *

"OHNONONONONO HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS SMALL GREEN GRIMACE HOW COULD YOU NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
If you're referring to Fair and Bair when angled, Simon can't do it like that either, so this is just getting pendantic for the sake of it

Portrait of Ruin is so goddamn good that the Netflix show referenced it lmao
Given it referenced the non-canon gameboy game idk if that attests specifically to Portrait of Ruin's quality.

Still, Shanoa is third best Protag after Simon (who is just so cool) and Alucard.

"BUT FIRST"

* opens reddit *

* clicks upvote *

"Hmmmm I have already looked at erotica of the yellow canine" * rubs isabelle amiibo gently with hand *

* Remembers Palutena moving her tremendous, wider than wide, bigger than big, buttocks from Super Smash Bros Palutena Trailer E3 2014 - Super Smash Bros. for Wii U™ *

"OH YES I KNOW"

"OHNONONONONO HOW COULD YOU HAVE DONE THIS SMALL GREEN GRIMACE HOW COULD YOU NOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Oh god it's grotesque Steve all over again except even stupider

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

>not having Twintelle, Min Min, or Dr Coyle as your most wanted
I only remember Twintelle for one reason, and it's not her personality.

I just don't care about Coyle. By the time she was revealed, I was long done with ARMs and nothing about her design stood out beyond mad scientist. Max Brass is more my type of fighting game antagonist, large and in charge :ultganondorf::ultbowser:

Min Min's good. She's fundamentally solid and is the one character I like that has a reasonable chance of getting in. The stoic martial artist isn't my favorite archetype though.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
They referenced that too? Goddamn. Not bad for a writer who knew literslly nothing beforehand
Not by name, but Trevor refers to one of his ancestors as 'she', and the only female Belmont in any previous Castlevania game is Sonya Belmont from the gameboy game, who iirc is Trevor's mother -- or at least comes before him in the lineage (but still after Leon, cuz she also meets Dracula).

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Count me in.

Nintendo Pass

1. ARMS Characters - Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (with their four in-game alts). Min-Min or Springtron replace Spring Man as AT.

Why: They are the poster children for the franchise. I get that Min-Min and Twintelle have decent followings, and there is an argument to be made there, but I can't see them usurping the mascots when the franchise is this young. (Take Scorpion and Sub-zero for example. They are and have always been fan favorites of Mortal Kombat, but one or two games in, they would be considered secondary characters compared to the likes of Liu Kang and Raiden.) Also, Spring Man is literally everywhere in anything ARMS related. The official landing page for the ARMS game on Nintendo's site has three separate images of him there. They could have easily put images of Min-Min or Twintelle on that page, but they instead decided to triple down on the mascot. Heck, Springtron is basically a modern-day pallette swap of him. I could maybe see Min-Min and maybe Ninjara making it in with a Hero-like set up, but I'm all about the two that introduced us to the franchise.

2. Geno from Super Mario RPG

Why: Now hear me out. I know this is technically breaking the rules - being a third-party character - but this is what the Smash community has been itching for for over a decade. Imagine an E3 reveal. People would lose their minds! Sure, there might be a large group of gamers that literally say, "Who?, " but then one could argue that was the case for Hero here in the west (given, Geno would be more of a who, but this next point makes that irrelevant-ish). Geno getting in would be the ultimate love letter to the community. Also, I really want Beware the Forest Mushrooms in Smash. Like really bad.

3. Isaac from Golden Sun with Matthew replacing his AT

Why: Two reasons. First, I love the character and the franchise. His moveset potential is so much more than his AT makes him out to be. Field synergy for grabs, earth synergy for attacks, summons for specials or a final smash, he could swap out his djinn to change his class and his attacks...he truly has the potential to be extremely unique and fun. And his stage and music would be great! Second, if any character from Nintendo's stables "deserves it", it's him. If retro, one-timers like Duck Hunt or the peripheral R.O.B. toy can make it in, why not him (with three games under his belt)? If King K. Rook can be brought back from the dead, then why not him (with his last entry being only about a decade old, which is longer than we've seen K. Rool...or Captain Falcon). Lastly, people have been clamoring for him for years. I know I have western bias and I usually only here what people have to say over here, but from what I remember seeing over the last decade, the top 5 most consist requests have always been K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo and Kazooie, Geno, and Isaac. The former three are in, and it's time to complete the holy quintet. Also, as a note, I think the reason why we didn't outright get a confirmation that Spring Man is the ARMS rep is because Sakurai doesn't want to reveal that ATs can be upgraded yet. I bet he wants to keep that a surprise because Spring Man won't be the only one.

4. Dixie Kong from Donkey Kong Country

Why: More DK reps. Why FE got a new rep in every game since Melee and DK only got two in that timeframe is beyond me. Dixie should have been in there forever ago. Also, for some people having more female representation is important, so that's a plus I guess.

5. Rex and Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Why: Because if we get an ARMS rep, then by froiking heck we better get Rex. I don't like him as much as the two girls, but they're kind of a pair (technically trio...kind of...no spoilers for you guys!). The stage, the music, and the moveset...oh the moveset would be dope sauce. The specials could mirror the game play almost perfectly, having each of the special directional inputs match up with the lettered buttons in their game. The neutral special could get more powerful over time, just like in XC2. There could also be a unique mechanic allowing him to switch between Pyra and Mythra, further increasing his uniqueness. Also, Pyra and Mythra are bae.

6. Vaati from the Legend of Zelda

Why: Because he's unique and a recurring Zelda character. People argue that a lot of Zelda characters are one-offs, therefore they don't deserve to be in more than, gee, Toon Link or something. Sheik is a one-off, technically. Almost every Fire Emblem rep (except for Marth and Ike) are basically one-offs. I think Ghirahim would be cool and I like him more, but I feel like Vaati has more potential. Also, Fire Emblem having more than representation than Zelda is disgusting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

"BUT FIRST"

* opens reddit *

* clicks upvote *

"OH YES I KNOW"

1585421267251.png

i literally just asked a question you didn't have to have an aneurysm

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just don't care about Coyle. By the time she was revealed, I was long done with ARMs and nothing about her design stood out beyond mad scientist. Max Brass is more my type of fighting game antagonist, large and in charge :ultganondorf::ultbowser:
He's actually not an antagonist; He was just the current champion before Min Min dethroned him. (I'm assuming they're going to make that cannon.)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My rankings for the ARMS characters...

Yes, Twintelle and Min Min are part of my top choices... because I'd rather be honest about my wants, instead of just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

D

Deleted member

He's actually not an antagonist; He was just the current champion before Min Min dethroned him. (I'm assuming they're going to make that cannon.)
If Pokemon taught me anything, the champions are always an antagonist in a tournament.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
View attachment 267508

>post is a joke
>post gets taken seriously

I only remember Twintelle for one reason, and it's not her personality.

Min Min's good. She's fundamentally solid and is the one character I like that has a reasonable chance of getting in. The stoic martial artist isn't my favorite archetype though.
Said "reason" is also why people want Min Min and Dr. Coyle (well, that and Min-Min is basically ARMs's Isabelle at this point).

Max Brass would also be sick as hell.

D

Deleted member

Said "reason" is also why people want Min Min and Dr. Coyle (well, that and Min-Min is basically ARMs's Isabelle at this point).

Max Brass would also be sick as hell.
My brother loves Max Brass so I wouldn't be opposed to him.

...Actually, I may be confusing antagonist with villain in this instance.
Yes you are. Don't biggie though.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Alright so upward strikes then. The point is that Richter never displays the whip mastery Simon has in Castlevania IV.

D

Deleted member

It's been 2 days since the announcement, but with an ARMS character being FP6, an 8th Gen Pokemon being added to Smash sounds pretty close to a guarantee right now even with SwSh getting a Spirit Event and a Pokemon themed Tourney to celebrate the game's release in November. I'm not gonna say it's 100% confirmed cause we still have 5 slots left, but it does look like we'll be getting somewhere between 2 to 3 1st Parties in Vol 2. I'm not really excited about that since every character I want in Smash currently are 3rd Parties, so now I have low expectations for this lineup than Vol 1 especially with this pandemic affecting development right now.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well here's my idea for a first party pass, there are still many valuable characters from IPs to include and these inclusions are ones that I think have a decent to good chance, and they're also inclusions that I would like to see. I don't think we're actually getting a complete first party only pass but I'm entertaining this possibility anyways.

1- ARMS COMPOSITE REP

Nintendo being coy and mysterious with the identity of the character leads me to believe it's an ARMS character with multiple different alt skins. I believe Spring Man would be the default skin with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as the other skins. I admit I'm not that knowledgeable on ARMS since I didn't buy the game, but from the gameplay videos I've seen, I believe it's possible to make these four characters fit with a composite moveset, at the cost of liberties taken to the characters. But Smash has always taken massive liberties when it comes to character portrayals, so I don't think that's a big problem. I'm interested in how the fighter might turn out to be, regardless of who it is it will definitely be a unique and interesting fighter.

2- WALUIGI

Welcome to the Wah zone. It's no secret that Waluigi has gotten a ton of mainstream attention and is one of Nintendo's most recognizable characters that isn't playable in Smash. This is the only assist trophy deconfirmation that Nintendo directly discussed regarding any backlash. Out of all Nintendo characters, very few have achieved this same notoriety. Does it guarantee him? No, but it sure as hell put him on everyone's radars.

Waluigi would be a really cool character to add to Smash bros. You can do different paths when it comes to making his moveset. You can go the spin-off path and make his moveset revolve around the items he uses in the Mario spin-offs. You can go the personality path and make his moveset revolve around his personality of being a cheating loser who will do anything to win. Waluigi is charming as hell and he's my most wanted playable character. I believe he is a fitting addition to the Smash roster and he has a good chance of making it in.

3- REX

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the best selling game of Monolith Software, exceeding all expectations from the company and from Nintendo themselves. Rex alongside Springman is a character that Sakurai said he would have added to the base roster if timing was on his side. Monolith Software has been a great partner with Nintendo and has even been tasked with developing BotW and it's sequel. Nintendo putting a character from Monolith Software makes a lot of sense, and my money is on Rex.

Rex would incorporate the blade system and he would bring Pyra and Mythra with him, the gameplay would have him change blades on the fly to fit the situation or to combo further with more moves. I'm hoping that if he gets in he gets more than just one blade, the potential with his moveset is immense and I don't want to see him robbed of that potential like Joker.

4- TOXTRICITY

Even though I'm not a fan of the new Pokemon game and it's direction, I can acknowledge a good Pokemon design when I see it. We may have gotten Gen 8 spirits as DLC, but they were of the first form of the starters and the legendaries, a ton of other candidates are still available from gen 8, including Toxtricity. I think Toxtricity has a really cool typing and design, and I believe this leads to an exciting moveset with this combination. They could go a ton of ways with this character, whether incorporating rhythm attacks or changing forms. Both require liberties taken, but hey, that's nothing new to Smash. Out of all Pokemon from gen 8 this is the one I'm most comfortable with.

5- ASHLEY

With a new WarioWare for the Switch being rumored, it seems it's not over yet for Ashley. The WarioWare series gained a momentary revival with Gold. Even though the 3DS was on it's way out, a new installment was released that performed better than a lot of 3DS games released during that year. WarioWare for the Switch has been rumored for some time now, and the series getting a push in Smash would help it make a comeback.

This character has a ton of potential to bring to Smash. Whether it's magic casting and potion crafting, or even using Red as a fighting partner in the moveset. I think Ashley would be a neat fighter to include from the WarioWare series.

6- ISAAC

A new trademark for the Golden Sun series has been filed and accepted recently, which leads people to believe that a new Golden Sun game might be in the works. Camelot also had no new games revealed so far which is interesting, as Camelot usaully had a new Mario sports game released in a two year interval between each other, which further raises suspicion on a new Golden Sun game being worked on.

Isaac would bring an interesting moveset to Smash that utilizes geomancy, something that hasn't been seen in Smash yet. Golden Sun has a lot of moves to offer besides using that big hand to slap people around in the assist trophy. So to see Isaac use his full potential in smash would be exciting to see.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Valkyries is a goddess who come down to Marvel Land to fight against any evil that threatens it

Sandra/Whirlo(in EU) is green humanoid thing that is trying to find cure for his son, he travels all over Marvel Land with a pitchfork for the cure.. He ends up teaming up with Valkyrie in the third game.

Enjoy this cute fanart

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/50498382

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well here's my idea for a first party pass, there are still many valuable characters from IPs to include and these inclusions are ones that I think have a decent to good chance, and they're also inclusions that I would like to see. I don't think we're actually getting a complete first party only pass but I'm entertaining this possibility anyways.

1- ARMS COMPOSITE REP

Nintendo being coy and mysterious with the identity of the character leads me to believe it's an ARMS character with multiple different alt skins. I believe Spring Man would be the default skin with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min as the other skins. I admit I'm not that knowledgeable on ARMS since I didn't buy the game, but from the gameplay videos I've seen, I believe it's possible to make these four characters fit with a composite moveset, at the cost of liberties taken to the characters. But Smash has always taken massive liberties when it comes to character portrayals, so I don't think that's a big problem. I'm interested in how the fighter might turn out to be, regardless of who it is it will definitely be a unique and interesting fighter.
You just need to add Twintelle and then your choices for the alt skins are literally all of the ARMS characters that are already in the game as Spirits.

What a ****in' doozy that'd be.

Also you added Ashley to this list so you get bonus points from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom