• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonito

Smash Ace
ARMS made the cut, interesting. I've always thought it would be the 1st newcomer in the next Smash game.

If its Spring Man: ATs can be promoted within the same game (a first); also Rex & Pyra may be on the table since Sakurai also lamented Spring Man's AT status because of poor timing

If its Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Min Min, or Ninjara: spirits can be promoted

if its Max Brass: 1st 2 fan rules are still in place but franchises with spirits in the game can get a character later (the Gen 8 debate)

if its Dr. Coyle: same as Max but protagonist is the 1st new franchise rep fanrule is broken

if its an ARMS 2 character: IIRC it would be the 1st character since Roy to debut in Smash before their home game (presumably)

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Just about almost every popular character in the game is a Spirit except for the main villain.
I don't really disagree with you, but who's to say they'll absolutely pick the most popular character for an ARMS rep? They may just go for a completely out of the left field pick. Starting with ARMS already proves that they're open to pick less "popular" characters.

Either way, my guess is Min-min, an out-of-left field character, or it's just Springman with alts as other character.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Spring Man is doubtful if they're going "Arms is getting a character bet you can't guess it." This will make speculation so much fun here for another month or so cause I doubt we won't know who it is for much longer. Watch it be a new character from Arms 2.
Spring Man is also an Assist Trophy and probably also the chars that have spirits.
He's out.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly, guessing a combined fighter of Spring-Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min-Min, similar to Hero.

My heart also says Twintelle can join the battle as a skin, but my brain says she probably couldn't work (assuming Spring-Man is the base).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Man whats eith the ARMS hate? I enjoyed the game, a very fun unique new fighting game....

Not really, they could choose a fighter that isn't a spirit, mii costume, or AT.

That said, the rule that is most likely to be broken is the "Main character first rule". With the way they worded it, I'm pretty sure Springman won't be the fighter.

If they end up deliberately picking someone that is not an AT, Spirit, or Costume; I think we can safely say that any chance of an upgrade are most likely gone. But I think it'll probably end up being Minmin, or Byte and Barq (if they want to go for a huge gimmicky character).

That is true, but which of the non AT, Mii costumes, or Spirits would realistically be picked? All the super popular ones are Spirits. I guess it could be the Villain Dr, COyle. Non of the others really seem to be great picks to Rep the series. Min Min is by far the most popular, Spring man and Ribbon Girl are the main characters, and everyone loves Twintelle's massive.... booty.

Min Min I think is the most likely IF they aren't looking at AT or Mii Costumes, follower by Ribbon Girl, then Spring Man.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
View attachment 267083
I don't know who the **** this guy is but he looks like Amingo and I'm saying it's this guy.

"Very likely"? Aren't only half of the fighters spirits?

Michael why put in a spoiler, we're all talking about it for the next 10 pages
Well, the list of ARMS Spirits includes all of the characters who are actually popular.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like people complaining may end up having their mind changed when we see the ARMs character in action.

It's why I am holding off judgement for now. Either way with the concept of ARMs being integrated into a full fighter, it may be a very fun character.
I mean, gameplay wise, you could have a really fun character, but not even knowing the character to get an idea of their abilities is really ****ing bizarre. Cause like, this video sold me on the idea of an ARMS fighter but I still need to see what the actual end result is, this was just objectively speaking the worst Smash reveal

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
You're ****ing with me right? You're pulling my leg?

I can understand not wanting the Pass, but how the hell is ARMS in the "literal who" category? :drshrug: It's just more weak than mysterious.
I'm really not.

I don't keep up to date with every game that comes out.

I pay attention to few games that I already know I want and don't care much for the rest. Dont have enough time to keep up with everything.

I'm guessing this is a switch exclusive title? Is it indie? If so, that may explain why I've never heard of it.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
This new ARMS fighter will also be the very first first-party DLC character to come from a new, unrepresented series.
God If its Twintale I would go nuts, but honestly this has me excited. ARMS was quite fun, also this means Base game non fighters are all open now!

If its Rex, I can see Waluigi or Isaac

If its Ribbon Girl, Rex is back on.

If its any of their spirits like Minmin or Twintale, then Shantae and Geno are open.

Honestly this is a great way to start the pass as really all the rules we had are broken!
As I said, no matter what route they choose to go a fan rule is getting broken here.
Think you meant Spring Man there. But I’m hoping for Min Min or Twintelle cause it would mean Elma and Octoling have a shot too
Spring Man would be the biggest hype character out of all ARMS characters because it would mean that being an AT is no longer a death sentence for a character's playable chances.
Okay guys, let's settle down now

Ingoreing the fact what happeneds if it's not Springman, Ribbon Girl, Min Min or Twintell

Then we would be going back speculating over and over again

But am I'm the only one that kinda find it silly and eye rolling that people are only excited about this potential character, is because stuff that vaugely could happen in the future

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Spring Man is also an Assist Trophy and probably also the chars that have spirits.
He's out.
The image from the Direct doesn't necessarily imply they're all out.

Rather I think it's to keep you on your toes. Promos? The main character not being first? A Hero/Koopaling deal?

zferolie

Smash Hero
So what ARMS characters aren't Spirits assuming they deconfirm?
We cannot in good faith assume that anymore, till we see who this is.

Ingoreing the fact what happeneds if it's not Springman, Ribbon Girl, Min Min or Twintell

But am I'm the only one that kinda find it silly and eye rolling that people are only excited about this potential character, is because stuff that vaugely could happen in the future
I'm actually legit excited for an ARMS fighter themselves. I think they would be super cool with their stretchy arm attacks and bring a very unique gameplay style.

IF what people are saying that maybe this could be a Hero Situation, where we get 4, or maybe a Bowser Jr Situation were we get 8... that would be very cool.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

There's no one else who is as big as them, except for Dr. Coyle, the series' main villain.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
ARMS getting a character is pretty cool, and I assume this comes as a "breath of life" into the series that Nintendo is trying to push again. I was suspect of the latest thing to come out of it...I think it was a tourney?

That said, I think if it was Spring Man they would have flat out said it was him. The only way I think it's still him is if they go for the curveball and add Spring Man/Ribbon Girl as alts of each other on the same character.

If they used data from popularity contests/player usage, my guess is Min Min or Twintelle.

I actually love this news. It shakes things up, yet we don't quite know the answers yet. I expect the trailer/reveal to be absolutely like Byleth's was, in that the character itself will be revealed. This'll be around E3 I assume.

Chances are, if you ask me, it'll be an AT or Spirit upgrade. While I never expected that, it absolutely makes sense to push ARMS and trying to give it a 2nd wind. I don't necessarily agree that it works for every character that folks talk about. ARMS is not in the same situation as other franchises...this is specifically, if you ask me, a marketing move to breath new life into a game that didn't start on the right foot.

Glad things are shaken up though!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I suppose Mechanica can be an off the wall not-protag but not-villain choice

she’s not a costume, AT, or Spirit; she fights in a mech suit she made herself since she doesn’t have ARMS powers but is a regular human; and I can see uniqueness potential in her moveset

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Seriously, why not just say who it is?
They were fine having Joker be known for 4 months, Banjo for 2/3 months and Terry for 2 months.

D

Deleted member

I wonder...

With it taking until June to both show off and release the 6th character, could it be that the alternate colors are other ARMS fighters? Or is there too much variation between their designs to simply make alts of?

It's kind of funny, ARMS was the first new Switch IP I remember seeing; I was surprised that it didn't make it into Ultimate to begin with. I forget what excuse they used before, but I guess since we're on the 2nd pass now, they're ok with adding one. This also gives me a lot of hope; i was hoping the second pass would be more Nintendo 1st party characters. With Character one being from ARMS, hopefully it means others will be as well.

Also, if it id Springman, with all the uproar there was over Waluigi, I would say he's pretty much guaranteed. Again, that's only IF this ARMS character is Spring Man (which is likely since they tend to take the main characters 1st from series).

Simplythe1

Smash Apprentice
God I hope its Spring Man please let it be my boi, this will kill the assist Trophy/ Sprits deconfirm thing, and make Rex and Pyra likely again

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
...bit of an underwhelming direct, but we got stuff to speculate!

an ARMS rep is happening. That is... absolutely not something I saw coming, but I'm not complaning. While I never bought ARMS, I enjoyed the free trials and thought Spring Man would make for an interesting fighter. That brings me to my first point, though - I don't think it's Spring Man. He's the first character people jump to when they think ARMS rep, the fact they were coy with it makes me think he's not happening. My money's on Dr. Coyle, though I think Min Min, Max Brass, or Helix are viable alternatives. I do think they're going to choose a character with the standard strechy arms, as that's the key mechanic of the game. So I don't think Twintelle or Mech Girl or Cop Robot are too likely.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if it is Spring Man by any chance will an update remove him as an assist trophy or do you think it'll play out like how Chrom is in Robin's final smash or how some assist trophies are disabled on some stages?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seriously though if it's just ****ing Spring Man then they're all ****ing clowns for trying to drum up the "who could it be?" Aspect, especially with the knowledge that Sakurai considered "Protag first" a fanrule as seen with Alucard almost getting in over Simon

D

Deleted member

You know, given their habit of releasing characters to also coincide with a game release, it's entirely possible that an ARMS 2 is coming and the character for Smash will be the main character for the 2nd one.

If that ends up being the case, they can get a 'main character' from ARMs in (just not the main character from the first one) while not breaking the unspoken AT & Main Character First rule.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So if it is Spring Man by any chance will an update remove him as an assist trophy or do you think it'll play out like how Chrom is in Robin's final smash or how some assist trophies are disabled on some stages?
They'll probably disable him as an AT, if you have him playable during a match. Otherwise, they'll have the AT function normally.

That said, I don't see a point in why they bother with these things. I doubt anyone really cares if Springman shows up as an AT while you are playing as Springman.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that they would just prevent his AT from spawning if he's on the match, although they could just leave him in like how Chrom is still in Robin's Final Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean, when was the last time ARMS had more than 2 people talk about it on this site since the last DLC came out? It sold well, it just left no impact.
I can't remember the last time we seriously spoke about any first party series that wasn't Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Xenoblade.

Or, mostly upon their respective deconfirmations, Astral Chain and Ring Fit.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Well, this is a surprising development. But did Nintendo really have to do the "Guess who?" thing?

zferolie

Smash Hero
They'll probably disable him as an AT, if you have him playable during a match. Otherwise, they'll have the AT function normally.

That said, I don't see a point in why they bother with these things. I doubt anyone really cares if Springman shows up as an AT while you are playing as Springman.
I mean Chrom can Beat up CHrom in Robins final smash, so why not have the AT pop in still. We know though AT can be turned off in certain situations, like Alucard's in the Wii fit stage due to the mirror

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Well that was an interesting direct. I'm not too excited about Arms but I'm happy to see a different game get a rep nonetheless. It was kind of underwhelming having Arms first but that at least boosts the chances of characters like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Isaac and Rex. It makes me wonder if this pass will be first party centric or if if will be an even split between first and third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom