• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They technically ARE different series.

You can't make ties or continuations to a game series you don't own own. This is why we got Dark Souls and not Demon Souls 2.
They are different series as they are different IPs owned by different companies.

However some people (like me) prefer to think of them as a pseudo series as they were created by the same people and have lots of elements in common (about as many as any two given mainline FF titles or more, to use an example).

Not everyone likes this view though and these conversations usually turn ugly so that's all I have to say about it.
So literally, no, but if they were no one would bat an eye. Got it.

What about Xenogears and Xenosaga though? Are they of similar relation?

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Man over the last couple days I ended up finding myself to be in a bit of a No More Heroes mood due to the third game releasing this year and realize how great just the music selection would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfbb3WHClE
That Bad Girl track is so Smash ready.

I think Philistine is quite iconic too , but I worry a bit about the lyrics, though I guess they could remix it and keep the main parts people know more.

Here's to hoping the hero who walked away makes it into the game!

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Yes you should. It is named Chu-Chu, and it falls deeply in love with the protagonist and is really creepy. She can also grow in size and die for our sins.

View attachment 266399
Ah yes, Xenogears, the video game version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Shame that Disc 2 wasn't as fleshed out as Disc 1, though that's due to Square's 2 year deadline at the time.
That Bad Girl track is so Smash ready.

I think Philistine is quite iconic too , but I worry a bit about the lyrics, though I guess they could remix it and keep the main parts people know more.

Here's to hoping the hero who walked away makes it into the game!
What I could see them do for a Philistine remix is maybe alternate some parts or lyrics. And being a song that is well over 4 minutes in length before looping I'd imagine they'd make the remix shorter.

Last edited:

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
So literally, no, but if they were no one would bat an eye. Got it.

Pretty much. Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, all of them were created by Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga and the same core team of people.
Gears was made back when they still worked for Squaresoft.
Saga was made after they left Square to make their own studio, Monolith Soft, which was acquired by Namco.
Blade happened after Namco sold Monolith to Nintendo.

Essentially a spiritual series made by the same people and split up between three companies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Pretty much. Xenogears, Xenosaga, Xenoblade, all of them were created by Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga and the same core team of people.
Gears was made back when they still worked for Squaresoft.
Saga was made after they left Square to make their own studio, Monolith Soft, which was acquired by Namco.
Blade happened after Namco sold Monolith to Nintendo.

Essentially a spiritual series made by the same people and split up between three companies.
Oh ok.

I guess that means Fei Fong Wong would only come with two music tracks.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
Fan requests:
Waluigi
Geno
Popular characters:
Doomguy
Master chief
Unexpected characters but also my wants that are not big in speculation:
Crazy Dave
Dig dug
I think the biggest thing keeping crazy Dave from joining smash from my list is EA being really dumb because they think that if they put games on the switch people won’t buy them because they can play them on other consoles

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's exactly the same.

Creators of Xenogears wanted to continue the series. Square didn't want to. They went to Namco and made Xenosaga. After making a few of those, they wanted to make more Xenosaga and Namco didn't want to, they went to Nintendo and made Xenoblade.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If Sakurai plans to promote an Assist Trophy or Spirit, I hope it’s the first character. Just tell us what we’re working with from the start. Otherwise something similar to Byleth might happen, when everybody expected another third party.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Wasn’t really any hostility. And it would be nice if you at least tried to not to make yourself sound as superior as you do.

Were you saying this stuff before Banjo was announced? To be frank you probably did. That would suggest that these characters you declare are totally set in stone aren’t as set in stone as you may have once thought
Actually no, I never really cared about Banjo to have anything to say about except "good for the fans". I was more of a "I don't like Steve, Banjo would be alright, but prefer Master Chief."

This was your daily reminder from wynn that the latest Fire Emblem protagonist is indeed playable in Smash and this somehow has something to do with the current conversation.
Elma fit in the same time frame as Corrin when Sakurai said he wanted to promote the newest game that was happening, and he chosen Corrin.
For Rex he couldn't get in because he came out too late in 2017, but Byleth got in when he came out 2 years after Xenoblade 2.
It's extremely similar situation.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Aight a character that hasn't been brought up I think ever:

Mike Haggar. Does he have a chance?

no
Maxim from the Lufia series! Does he have a chance?

NO BECAUSE SQUARE ENIX HATES FUN!

*Flips table and folds arms*

They never release any games that I like...

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm working on some rosters. What third party characters have the strongest connections to Nintendo?

Examples:

Sonic has become a perennial rival to Mario.
Banjo and Kazooie were an important part of the N64 era for Nintendo.
Simon and Mega Man were so big on the NES that they still have Nintendo connotations.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I'm working on some rosters. What third party characters have the strongest connections to Nintendo?

Examples:

Simon and Mega Man were so big on the NES that they still have Nintendo connotations.
Cooking mama of course

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
It's exactly the same.

Creators of Xenogears wanted to continue the series. Square didn't want to. They went to Namco and made Xenosaga. After making a few of those, they wanted to make more Xenosaga and Namco didn't want to, they went to Nintendo and made Xenoblade.
I think it's fair to say that Xenosaga and Xenoblade are pretty much the same series even if they are different companies, Namco and Nintendo get along well enough for Xenosaga characters to show up alongside Xenoblade characters sometimes.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Examples:

Depends if "never being on another system" counts or not. Not that the Quest series is special beyond that, but it's 100% a Nintendo series thing either way. They hyped up Quest 64 heavily, for it to flop pretty badly(seen mostly as a mediocre game at best these days, and it was still the first rpg for the N64 but eh).

Tales of series also has had Symphonia as well as its first game on Nintendo(SNES game). Symphonia was a huge deal for the GameCube, respectively. Though a lot of the games tend to be on the Sony systems these days.

Clayfighter is also almost all Nintendo, with only one Sega Genesis game.

Earthworm Jim also has a lot of Nintendo games(though I think it had a Genesis game too. Similar to Clayfighter in that regard).

That's all I can think of for some that are practically tied to Nintendo these days. That weren't mentioned already when I started this post.

Edit: ...Of course the Rareware stuff. Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, etc.

And to note, I'm referring to stuff not in Smash at all. Spirits or otherwise.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace

Examples:

Phoenix Wright. That's all I got.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Examples:

The Holy Trinity of the DS.

Cooking mama of course
Phoenix Wright. That's all I got.
Professor Layton.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Examples:

Scribblenauts is practically exclusive to Nintendo, and Unlimited on Wii U had Mario and Zelda content.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

Examples:

Bomberman is the only massive omission in my eyes for third parties in terms of raw Nintendo presence.

Professor Layton and Phoenix could also count but I don't think it's a crime they aren't here.

People might argue Ryu but being honest he was never on the same level as either Castlevania or Mega Man like people seem to push him as. Not to mention that both DoA and the Ninja Gaiden reboot are far more associated with Xbox than Nintendo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bomberman is the only massive omission in my eyes for third parties in terms of raw Nintendo presence.

Professor Layton and Phoenix could also count but I don't think it's a crime they aren't here.

People might argue Ryu but being honest he was never on the same level as either Castlevania or Mega Man like people seem to push him as. Not to mention that both DoA and the Ninja Gaiden reboot are far more associated with Xbox than Nintendo.
At the very least Bomberman is in the game. Sadly a lot of those have yet to show up in any way or form. Even with a Nintendo connection, many amazing 3rd parties don't have so much as a Spirit(likewise, many without a connection don't either. There's a lot of huge franchises missing. Microsoft and Sony franchises among 'em. Where's Frogger, for cripes' sake?).

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
A strong possibility is that a game that hasn’t been announced yet has been selected for Smash DLC. If so, what would you like that game to be and what would you want it to be like?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A strong possibility is that a game that hasn’t been announced yet has been selected for Smash DLC. If so, what would you like that game to be and what would you want it to be like?
I don't think that's going to happen unless said game ended up being FE18, and that would probably piss off the fanbase even more because FE would then have the same amount of characters as Super Mario does.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If Sakurai plans to promote an Assist Trophy or Spirit, I hope it’s the first character. Just tell us what we’re working with from the start. Otherwise something similar to Byleth might happen, when everybody expected another third party.
If that happens, I hope it's Lyn

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm hoping it's a Spirit myself - particular either Elma or my octo babies

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
I'm hoping it's a Spirit myself - particular either Elma or my octo babies
Personally hoping for an assist upgrade. There are plenty of characters who I’d love to see, like Shantae, Lyn, others but if I had the chance to get Waluigi I’d take it in a heartbeat.

D

Deleted member

Probably a new Kirby game with 4-player co-op.:kirby:
The main four playable characters are of course: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandana Waddle Dee.
Since the former three are already in Smash, they upgrade BWD from a Spirit to a fighter to promote this new game.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Probably a new Kirby game with 4-player co-op.:kirby:
The main four playable characters are of course: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight and Bandana Waddle Dee.
Since the former three are already in Smash, they upgrade BWD from a Spirit to a fighter to promote this new game.
And thus, that one GameXplain video gets beaten down even further. ;)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I figured I'd share this cool Master Chief moveset I found

Chief is one of those characters that I believe would be best revealed as one of the first three characters (maybe even the first one) due to how big of a character he is. He would be really cool to see in Smash. I know it's a long shot but I'd also like it if a Noble Six skin was added with Chief as well.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
God that would be hilarious.
I'm curious to see if she would actually be more well-received than Byleth. A 9th FE rep sure, but she's one that won't be considered a shill pick and will be proof that ATs can be promoted as DLC.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm curious to see if she would actually be more well-received than Byleth. A 9th FE rep sure, but she's one that won't be considered a shill pick and will be proof that ATs can be promoted as DLC.
Knowing our luck, people will call her the exception because "lol FE bias duuuurrrrrrr".

Did I do that right?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Knowing our luck, people will call her the exception because "lol FE bias duuuurrrrrrr".

Did I do that right?
"No, you see, Lyn was already represented, but BRAVE Lyn from Heroes wasn't, therefore ATs still can't be DLC fighters."

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
and will be proof that ATs can be promoted as DLC.
Corrin and Byleth were proof that first parties can be DLC newcomers. It hasn't really given people more hope about first parties as DLC, it just fuels cynicism that Nintendo is only interested in marketing. Anyone thinking the likes of, say, Elma has a better chance thanks to Corrin is kidding themselves. Lyn getting in means nothing for Isaac fans or Saki fans or so on. That's the way I see it.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In that case, it would solely be their fault for overhyping themselves.

Besides, there are a lot of solid choices for AT/Spirit promotions that would make for interesting fighters, like Isaac, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Dixie, Isaac, Ashley, Paper Mario, Isaac, Bandana Dee,
Spring Man, Midna, Skull Kid, Bomberman and Isaac. And then there is Geno.... he’s a character that exists.

If that happens, I hope it's Lyn
I would actually be hyped.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
A new Yoshi's Island on the Switch with Poochy as the protagonist, thus Yoshi gets his 2nd rep after being ignored for years.
(No not the arts and crafts one.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom