• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
We aren't really sure. General idea is that the answer is maybe and while its reasonable to expect development to slow down a bit due to the virus there's basically no chance they don't have something to show for 6, so they are going to reveal them regardless.
I don't see a reason to stop altogether.
Continuing. I definitely see progress slowing down on the characters after the next one though.
Thanks for the answers guys!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's the rumors of a 2D Metroid coming, so possibly a fighter to promote that game.
In which case the fighter could very well be a Chozo character, which would be awesome in my personal opinion as a Metroid fanboy.
Said game is rumored to be a remake of Super Metroid.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I figured I'd share this cool Master Chief moveset I found

Chief is one of those characters that I believe would be best revealed as one of the first three characters (maybe even the first one) due to how big of a character he is. He would be really cool to see in Smash. I know it's a long shot but I'd also like it if a Noble Six skin was added with Chief as well.
After seeing the video, which btw has a cool moveset, I feel the urge to return and play the original Halo games again. Specially 3 and Reach.
Having Chief would be fantastic. He's still a pipe dream in my eyes, but I can see a timeline where Smash has Chief in it's roster.

If he's in he could be one of the first characters, maybe revealed at E3. But it would be very cool and epic to finish the pass with Chief. "Master Chief Finishes The Fight!" I mean, I'd put him in the last slot only to for that lol

Said game is rumored to be a remake of Super Metroid.
Nope. As far as I know all the rumours about the new 2D Metroid game is that either the game is a remake of Fusion or is a completely new entry. Nothing about Super Metroid, even if we add random 4chan leaks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes. Because you said that the next LoZ characters are gonna be Edgy Link (Vaati) and Girl Link (Linkle)
Hold up I'm not even that much of a Zelda fan but isn't Vaati a wind mage? And Linkle a dual crossbow wielder? Outside of their neutral B with Linkle, I really can't imagine how Vaati or Linkle would share any moves with the Links

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
After seeing the video, which btw has a cool moveset, I feel the urge to return and play the original Halo games again. Specially 3 and Reach.
Having Chief would be fantastic. He's still a pipe dream in my eyes, but I can see a timeline where Smash has Chief in it's roster.

If he's in he could be one of the first characters, maybe revealed at E3. But it would be very cool and epic to finish the pass with Chief. "Master Chief Finishes The Fight!" I mean, I'd put him in the last slot only to for that lol

Nope. As far as I know all the rumours about the new 2D Metroid game is that either the game is a remake of Fusion or is a completely new entry. Nothing about Super Metroid, even if we add random 4chan leaks.
However, I don't think that we are getting any first party shillpicks at all unless FE18 comes out between now and the end of FP2.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
However, I don't think that we are getting any first party shillpicks at all unless FE18 comes out between now and the end of FP2.
Quick question: do you think we'll get ANY first parties? Because a lot of people seem to think the only viable first parties are promotional ones.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Quick question: do you think we'll get ANY first parties? Because a lot of people seem to think the only viable first parties are promotional ones.
I am one of the few users here who thinks that base roster Spirits do not deconfirm.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Yeah I feel Master Chief is one of the few characters that can take Smash's crossover appeal to the next level. Halo was and still is a cultural phenomena. The launch of Halo 3 is probably one of the biggest hyped gaming events that breached into the mainstream. Everyone was talking about the game, even people who weren't interested in video games talked about it. I remember I didn't have an Xbox 360 at the time but I wanted to get one just for this game. To a lot of Xbox players, Halo was the first game they bought with the system.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah I feel Master Chief is one of the few characters that can take Smash's crossover appeal to the next level. Halo was and still is a cultural phenomena. The launch of Halo 3 is probably one of the biggest hyped gaming events that breached into the mainstream. Everyone was talking about the game, even people who weren't interested in video games talked about it. I remember I didn't have an Xbox 360 at the time but I wanted to get one just for this game. To a lot of Xbox players, Halo was the first game they bought with the system.

I've said this before, but literally the ONLY issue I have with Chief in Smash is him being in direct competition with Doomguy for a Western FPS character slot.
And the recent influx of Animal Crossing fanart has me in more of a demon slaying mood.
Obviously the best timeline would both of them being in and Fighter 12 being announced, but as is they occupy such similar but different niches that they naturally antagonize each other.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've said this before, but literally the ONLY issue I have with Chief in Smash is him being in direct competition with Doomguy for a Western FPS character slot.
Doom Slayer's been deconfirmed tho. Don't you remember that interview?

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Camelot has been silent becuase they realize they dont need to make trash mario sports titles with nintendo down their throats anymore and they are coming back to daddy SEGA like the 90s and making Shining Force 4
So SEGA contacted me personally and were very excited that anyone at all mentioned the Shining series/IP and insisted that I post a large picture of the anime waifu harem.

1584803531102.png

SEGA of America would also very much like you to be interested in Shining Resonance Refrain available now on your Nintendo Switch for only $30 and in their exact words here:

"This game is a super cool power fantasy and has gameplay. You get all the girls and do magic with the sword just like Kirito in that anime. We've listened to the fans, and you can even dress them up in bikinis! Please care."

At the time of posting, there is no word on whether or not the game is a tactical strategy game. SEGA suggest fans of tactical fantasy google Kai's butt from VC4 and forget about the old times until they re-release their Genesis collection again.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
And the recent influx of Animal Crossing fanart has me in more of a demon slaying mood.
Obviously the best timeline would both of them being in and Fighter 12 being announced, but as is they occupy such similar but different niches that they naturally antagonize each other.
I don't think they'd shut the door for each other if one of them got in. Like, yeah, sure there is competition between them, but it's not like they're from the same company or franchise. Doomguy and Master Chief would play differently despite being FPS characters. One is a run 'n gun style of character that focuses on rushdown while the other focuses on denying his opponent's movement while strategically planning his next move.

If the complaint is about surface level looks, well, we got three anime looking silent JRPG protagonists in the last pass. Would two FPS space marines really be that ridiculous?

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah, Chief would for sure bring Smash to another level if we speak about the crossover factor, and while Chief would appeal to all the west, I think that his addition would specially appeal to the US market.

I honestly think he's one of the few western characters I could see getting in despite having a small appeal for the japanese fans.

D

Deleted member

Master Chief would have been an amazing addition, but Halo hasn't really been big since 2010 when Halo Reach came out. Since then, it fell further and further out of the limelight as other FPS took the limelight. It still enjoys popularity among the ones who originally played 10 years ago, but very few new fans have been added since and its nowhere near as Hype-inducing as you'd suggest.

Most of the people who had played Halo back in the day viewed Nintendo as a 'kiddie' system and were dude-bros, more than half of them really wouldn't care if Master Chief made it into Smash.

We'd all find it cool because we like how expansive smash Ultimate has become and we recognize how popular Halo once was and adding yet another Icon (the sole reason Xbox even survived to see the current Console generation at all) would be epic, but the main gaming community wouldn't really explode at the seams like you all are suggesting.

Basically what I'm saying is not everything will 'break the internet', so simmer down y'all.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Master Chief would have been an amazing addition, but Halo hasn't really been big since 2010 when Halo Reach came out. Since then, it fell further and further out of the limelight as other FPS took the limelight. It still enjoys popularity among the ones who originally played 10 years ago, but very few new fans have been added since and its nowhere near as Hype-inducing as you'd suggest.

Most of the people who had played Halo back in the day viewed Nintendo as a 'kiddie' system and were dude-bros, more than half of them really wouldn't care if Master Chief made it into Smash.

We'd all find it cool because we like how expansive smash Ultimate has become and we recognize how popular Halo once was and adding yet another Icon (the sole reason Xbox even survived to see the current Console generation at all) would be epic, but the main gaming community wouldn't really explode at the seams like you all are suggesting.

Basically what I'm saying is not everything will 'break the internet', so simmer down y'all.
I dunno, couldn't one say the same thing about Final Fantasy during the Smash 4 era? The series was pretty well past its prime by 2015, and yet people still went crazy about Cloud's announcement.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still find Master Chief likely to have an decent shot getting in given Nintendo's and Microsoft's buddy-buddy relation.

Picture this. What if adding:ultbanjokazooie:was under the condition of adding Master Chief in return an stronger indication of their friendship.

D

Deleted member

I dunno, couldn't one say the same thing about Final Fantasy during the Smash 4 era? The series was pretty well past its prime by 2015, and yet people still went crazy about Cloud's announcement.
XIII didn't do the franchise any favors, but the Final Fantasy series has always been popular both in the West and in Japan, which is probably what matters more in the long run. Plus, the idea/rumor of an FF7 remake was constantly on everyone's mind and just like with Half-Life 3, every new thing (like inclusion in Smash) revitalized people's hopes in that impossible Remake (which finally became a real thing).

It may have declined with FFXIII being bad and FFXV being underwhelming, but XIV (the online one), all the ports, and the remake coming next month is proof enough the series is still going strong. Much more so than Halo. Not to insult Halo, I loved Halo Reach, but FF is, without question, a stronger franchise right now.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Plus, the idea/rumor of an FF7 remake was constantly on everyone's mind and just like with Half-Life 3, every new thing (like inclusion in Smash) revitalized people's hopes in that impossible Remake (which finally became a real thing).
Minor point, but the timeline's a little messed up there. The FF7 remake was announced back at E3 2015. Cloud was announced at the November Direct that year.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

The main gaming community is people who played halo 10 years ago I’d argue but I guess if you mean the young mainstream base sure they probably have only seen/read about it’s glory. (Halo 5 did the franchise no favors.) Anywho the 20 plus crowd would probably explode.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see Master Chief. Very violent game with real guns and real bullets that create real blood and real deaths, too much of an XBox mascot, XBox is not a thing in Japan, and I still think he has a style issue with the game, much like Goku, and are not in the spirit of it. Doomguy has a much better chance, deconfirmed or not, due to the demonic and sci-fi aspects, and his lengthy history with Nintendo.

People will say "but what about Bayonetta and Snake?". Well having played those games very recently because of the isolation, Bayonetta is far from being realistic violent. There's never a single human injured, and the blood and kills we see are demons vs angels, meaning actually not as gross as Link diving his sword into Ganon's head. And Bayonetta has little to no sexual connotations (at least in the first game), despite undressing for some kills, there's never a sexual tone to it, more that her suit is made of hair and she needs it to summon the demons. Being halfway through the second game though, that one has more sexual references ( a few jokes here and there, usually not fight related), but I don't know if it was as much of a reference for Smash 4 at the time, since I don't know the timeline.

Minor point, but the timeline's a little messed up there. The FF7 remake was announced back at E3 2015. Cloud was announced at the November Direct that year.
We've known about FF15 for a long time though, at least the first video about it generated a ton of hype, despite being reworked for years to become what it is now. And Final Fantasy 14 was a huge success, getting up to 18 million users by 2019, so that puts a lot of other games to shame. So whoever thinks Final Fantasy was on the low end, I'm not sure that's quite accurate. It might not have made a character as iconic as Cloud, sure, but it certainly isn't dead.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

It's true that Halo, while it's still really and popular and continues to be the primary franchise of the Xbox brand, it is less popular than before.

But I pretty much disagree with everything else you said. About Halo fans mocking Nintendo, you can find people like that anywhere, it isn't exclusive to the people who plays or played Halo back then. And when I say anywhere I truly mean anywhere. Not every Metal Gear or Final Fantasy fan (to name 2 of the 3rd parties we have in the game) is fond of Smash or Nintendo.
Most of them wouldn't care if Chief makes it into Smash, but you can say that for any 3rd party franchise. You won't see most of Final Fantasy, Castlevania or Street Fighter fans playing Smash because Cloud, Simon or Ryu are in Smash. So I don't see that as a point against Chief because most of 3rd parties if not all of them are in the same situation.

Not everything will break the internet, but Chief in Smash is one of the additions to the game that for sure would break the internet. Honestly, I'm amazed that someone is discussing that. If the point is that not everyone will be shocked, I mean... of course? No character will please or shock everyone. But if Banjo already had massive reactions, Chief would be even bigger even if it's only because Chief is more well-known and because websites would talk about it a lot more, for obvious reasons.
Only for that "Smash x Halo" would have a bigger exposure to the gaming community and it will reach more people.

I still don't see Master Chief. Very violent game with real guns and real bullets that create real blood and real deaths, too much of an XBox mascot, XBox is not a thing in Japan, and I still think he has a style issue with the game, much like Goku, and are not in the spirit of it. Doomguy has a much better chance, deconfirmed or not, due to the demonic and sci-fi aspects, and his lengthy history with Nintendo.

People will say "but what about Bayonetta and Snake?". Well having played those games very recently because of the isolation, Bayonetta is far from being realistic violent. There's never a single human injured, and the blood and kills we see are demons vs angels, meaning actually not as gross as Link diving his sword into Ganon's head. And Bayonetta has little to no sexual connotations (at least in the first game), despite undressing for some kills, there's never a sexual tone to it, more that her suit is made of hair and she needs it to summon the demons. Being halfway through the second game though, that one has more sexual references ( a few jokes here and there, usually not fight related), but I don't know if it was as much of a reference for Smash 4 at the time, since I don't know the timeline.
Reading this post and theen seeing the Travis banner at the end is for sure ironic.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

You do realize that Halo has tons of silly sci-fi weapons, right?

The Conveant utilize all kinds of wacky laser guns, energy swords and even gravity hammers. It's not all realistic weaponry.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Just admit you don't like Chief, you'll have more dignity by being honest instead of making **** up, because you're wrong on literally everything you're talking about here

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The funny thing is that in a vacuum, Doom Slayer and Master Chief would make for some great Sans/Cuphead level Mii Costumes, but getting such significant franchises for just Mii skins would feel like a waste. A bit like getting a Kingdom Hearts stage and songs with no Sora essentially.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The funny thing is that in a vacuum, Doom Slayer and Master Chief would make for some great Sans/Cuphead level Mii Costumes, but getting such significant franchises for just Mii skins would feel like a waste. A bit like getting a Kingdom Hearts stage and songs with no Sora essentially.
I think Halo and Kingdom Hearts are both IPs that will either get playable reps in Smash, or nothing at all. They're both special cases in comparison to other potential third party IPs.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I am one of the few users here who thinks that base roster Spirits do not deconfirm.
I’m gonna get yelled at here because people don’t care about spirits until it’s about characters getting in

But I really REALLY don’t understand this ”Yeah, spirit DLC probably not happening, BUT BASE GAME THO!!” logic

It just screames ”I can’t let go of these 3 random characters“

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Just admit you don't like Chief, you'll have more dignity by being honest instead of making **** up, because you're wrong on literally everything you're talking about here
Oh I'm not as much of a fan as others suggestions, never denied that. Same way I was for Snake for similar reasons, but he's much less violent and we know of pre-existing friendly relationships between the designers. I'm not even denying he's an icon. But it pushes it to just say I'm wrong on everything without justification, at least I bothered to write a full non-insulting non-deriving opinion on the reasons why, which is the whole point of a speculation thread. You on the other hand are just flaming there.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

2019 was a bit of Halo resurgence with the E3 trailer for Halo Infinite being very well received by the community and The Master Chief Collection finally receiving fixes the made it worth owning, plus Halo: Reach coming out for it AND the MCC being released on PC. Last year was a pretty big year for Halo and it's the best year it's had in a long time. And even if Halo isn't as big as it was back in 2007 or 2010, everyone knows who Chief is and his being the face of Microsoft. Him being added to Smash will break the Internet, there is no way to dance around this.

Despite the supernatural elements, Metal Gear Solid always had some sort of basis in reality and tried to stay grounded in it. Halo is far more fictional the Metal Gear in terms of aesthetics, especially with Halo 4 onward where even the guns look far more sci-fi. And Halo is nowhere near as violent as Metal Gear, especially when Metal Gear has Metal Gear Rising and Metal Gear Solid V under it's belt, both of which have content in Smash (Spirits, but still content nonetheless with Raiden, Big Boss, Miller, Ocelot (MGSV) and Sahaelanthropus). Heck, Resident Evil is more violent than Halo and it has content in Smash with it's Spirits.

Also, you have Travis Touchdown in your signature as a character you'd like to see in Smash. If we go by your logic, Travis will never make it to Smash. By the way, Bayonetta teases her opponents all the time in a sexual manner or provocative way to lower their guard so there obviously are sexual connotations in Bayonetta 1 & 2. Hell, some finishers she does invoke this. Also, if Goku isn't in the game because of his style, then why is the Hero here?

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord

WTF am I reading here? :laugh: I think the funniest part is saying Goku's problem with Smash is one of "style" when we already have four characters designed by Akira Toriyama in the game

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh I'm not as much of a fan as others suggestions, never denied that. Same way I was for Snake for similar reasons, but he's much less violent and we know of pre-existing friendly relationships between the designers. I'm not even denying he's an icon. But it pushes it to just say I'm wrong on everything without justification, at least I bothered to write a full non-insulting non-deriving opinion on the reasons why, which is the whole point of a speculation thread. You on the other hand are just flaming there.
It'd take a while to list exactly why you were wrong on literally everything, but would you like me to do that? Because without looking it up, I can call bull**** on 'unrealistic murder', no humans getting killed in Bayo, the fact that her hair being used to summon demons was the excuse to let her get naked due to how she was designed, Goku's issue not being his style at all as seen with Goku's designer having 4 humanoid designs in Smash now, etc

D

Deleted member

I've seen someone argue Half Life was too niche for Smash, but "humans die so it's too realistically violent" is some next level **** right here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
It'd take a while to list exactly why you were wrong on literally everything, but would you like me to do that? Because without looking it up, I can call bull**** on 'unrealistic murder', no humans getting killed in Bayo, the fact that her hair being used to summon demons was the excuse to let her get naked due to how she was designed, Goku's issue not being his style at all as seen with Goku's designer having 4 humanoid designs in Smash now, etc
Oh go for it. You already wasted time deriding me with this message, go for it. But be warned, I just played through the whole first Bayonetta game and half of the second in the last 2 days, so it's quite fresh. And unlike most people, I reaaaally like ingame lore and read it all. Good luck finding any non-interpretative evidence that she gets naked just for fun and that it's sexually explicit, when it's heavily censored and you barely even see the more provocative stuff because it quickly focuses on the demons.

It seems you're quite stuck on the "style" word. Maybe English does not portray the subtleties of the different meanings of the words as much as other languages would. But it doesn't just mean who designed it, I know very well that Toriyama has done other things including Hero (which is mostly one, not four). Style can also mean the style of the game, including the general genres, the attitudes, how the universes mix, the storytelling, etc... And that's where, stylistically speaking, I think there's a clash. Which is an opinion by the way, on a very subjective topic, so say I'm wrong all you want and start flame wars again, but that's what I think.

That being said, I will drop this that I found by googling the following: Halo blood and gore. Enjoy the first few seconds which show exactly what I think makes Master Chief impossible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrrDqXKATg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh go for it. You already wasted time deriding me with this message, go for it. But be warned, I just played through the whole first Bayonetta game and half of the second in the last 2 days, so it's quite fresh. And unlike most people, I reaaaally like ingame lore and read it all. Good luck finding any non-interpretative evidence that she gets naked just for fun and that it's sexually explicit, when it's heavily censored and you barely even see the more provocative stuff because it quickly focuses on the demons.

It seems you're quite stuck on the "style" word. Maybe English does not portray the subtleties of the different meanings of the words as much as other languages would. But it doesn't just mean who designed it, I know very well that Toriyama has done other things including Hero (which is mostly one, not four). Style can also mean the style of the game, including the general genres, the attitudes, how the universes mix, the storytelling, etc... And that's where, stylistically speaking, I think there's a clash. Which is an opinion by the way, on a very subjective topic, so say I'm wrong all you want and start flame wars again, but that's what I think.

That being said, I will drop this that I found by googling the following: Halo blood and gore. Enjoy the first few seconds which show exactly what I think makes Master Chief impossible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrrDqXKATg
Evidently that's not the case when Torture Attacks are based on real life torture devices, outdated ones, yes, but the only unrealistic thing about them is that Angels aren't humans. Also, Luke's Tragic Backstory had his father get torn limb from limb, not only a very real torture technique, but it, you know, killed him. With 'design' I'm talking about why they chose to make the game like that, similar to how a lot of Japanese superheroes are deliberately designed to have red as their main colour. Not to mention Bayonetta makes a regard about hating children but enjoying making them to Luke in the first game after he assumes Cereza's her kid

Your entire style argument falls apart if you mean that it has to mesh well together as Smash has had heavily conflicting art styles since 64, we've been over this already

Blood and gore can be easily removed as seen with Joker's final smash and the fact nobody bleeds ingame when you hit them with the pointy end of a sword, gore isn't integral to Halo's identity at all, when people think of Halo, they think of Master Chief, the scifi weaponry, the aliens, the story, Cortana's butt, etc, but not the gore.

Does this suffice? I'm just saying, nobody with a minimum of 4 brain cells will give you any hate for saying "I just don't want Master Chief in Smash, Halo's not my thing"

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I've seen someone argue Half Life was too niche for Smash, but "humans die so it's too realistically violent" is some next level **** right here.
Well it's the whole reason why they've modified any realistic gun in the game, including Joker. They're always made to look silly, with "energy" bullets and weird behaviors like mini explosions, It's a real thing, even more prominent in Japan where gun violence is really shunned upon. Also a reason why those Yakuza picks are probably not happening (even more so if it promotes the most prominent type of organized crime in Japan). People in America might be in denial about this, but those are definitely things they consider and discuss during those "developer presentation meetings).

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I’m gonna get yelled at here because people don’t care about spirits until it’s about characters getting in

But I really REALLY don’t understand this ”Yeah, spirit DLC probably not happening, BUT BASE GAME THO!!” logic

It just screames ”I can’t let go of these 3 random characters“
Mainly because DLC spirits were released after the planning of the second pass, which means the developers didn't have plans for making these characters playable fighters. Base game is treated as free game because the timing of the planning of the second pass makes these characters viable options. The team could look back on one of their NPCs and decide to promote them as a fighter, it has happened in other fighting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom