• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Pardon me for asking so sudden, but how well known is Arle? Not the Puyo Puyo franchise, but Arle herself.
As well known as any other arcade prevalent character in japan
She got disregarded in the west because westerners hate magical girls and have poor taste in general and was replaced with reskins like robotnik or kirby but shes starting to get more known due to SEGA finally localizing the games.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
What a load of bull****!

But as you stated. Those are restocks not new amiibos.
Apologies, as it might be a bit late. It's possible the restocks are.. well... just that. However, traditionally, a restock also means a new amiibo wave. Now... with the coronavirus, that may definitely changes things up. So we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So If I'm hearing this right, if Sony acquires Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear, we can pretty much say goodbye to Snake, Simon, and Richter returning in future installments? :(
Good. Then I'd never have to fight "B button: The characters" ever again

Let's cross the bridge when we get there. This is clearly some of the dumbest wish-fulfillment I've ever seen and completely flies in the face of everything going on within the company right now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So If I'm hearing this right, if Sony acquires Castlevania, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear, we can pretty much say goodbye to Snake, Simon, and Richter returning in future installments? :(
People believe its most likely fake. I can understand people wanting those series to even have a future, because as of this moment, only CV is getting any decent attention, though mostly through its show and re-releases. But Konami has a ton of issues going on with it. I don't really see Konami selling these series if only because they'd probably make the most money for them alongside Bomberman.

It'd mostly suck if CV never got on a Nintendo system again since they were so closely related for the NES,SNES,GBA and DS.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
For what it's worth, I think Dante still has a solid chance. He's definitely the frontrunner for Capcom, I've just seen a lot of people who have convinced themselves that Dante is absolutely 100% going to be in Smash (in other communities, not necessarily this one). I used to think a Capcom character was a lock, it's actually something that I sincerely want to happen a lot. I think Capcom has by far the best potential out of all the other third parties, but over time I've come to be less confident in a new Capcom rep the more I've sat and thought about it... even though it absolutely should happen. Can they just make Nintendo vs Capcom already?

I also really really think Travis will be in and I wonder if those two may be a bit too similar to coexist within the same pass; flashy goofball protagonist of an M-rated hack & slash with a sword... I mean, I think it'd be great if they both made it, but I definitely believe that No More Heroes would be of higher priority to Nintendo at the moment considering it's one of their biggest exclusives. So I just decided Travis would take priority if it came down to it.

Pardon me for asking so sudden, but how well known is Arle? Not the Puyo Puyo franchise, but Arle herself.
Arle is well known enough I guess, she's much more popular in Japan. Some people may disagree with me on this comparison, but I'd probably put her on a similar pedestal to Terry overall. Puyo is a landmark in its respective genre just like Fatal Fury / KOF, and that audience for competitive puzzle games is kind of niche and underground so Arle's notoriety is most significant among a small but very dedicated following of puzzle game enthusiasts. And probably most Japanese gamers on top of that. She's a bit of a deeper cut but still an icon of her genre.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Somewhat similar situation to Hero. Pretty much a really popular character in Japan, as Puyo is a really popular puzzle game. But American versions of the game had replacement characters like Eggman/Robotnik and even Kirby. Kind of like how Lip from Panel de Pon got replaced with Yoshi for Tetris Attack. Their aesthetic leans real hard on Japan's tastes I guess. But later Puyo games got localized with the same casts as the OG games, so now they've got some more fans in the West. Like how a few DQ games did better than others(by western standards) like 8 and 11.

I'm no Sega pro, but I'm assuming Arle's generally a pretty popular character, in the same vein guys like Ryu, Terry, Mega Man and Simon are. If not the most popular, then probably Top 5.

On the opposite end, characters like Crash, Ratchet and Spyro, while not being outright replaced, got changed quite a bit for their Japanese versions as they were some thoroughly American/Western looking characters. Probably due to their genre, it's easier to replace a puzzle character than a platformer with a ton of animations for the lead character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Somewhat similar situation to Hero. Pretty much a really popular character in Japan, as Puyo is a really popular puzzle game. But American versions of the game had replacement characters like Eggman/Robotnik and even Kirby. Kind of like how Lip from Panel de Pon got replaced with Yoshi for Tetris Attack. Their aesthetic leans real hard on Japan's tastes I guess. But later Puyo games got localized with the same casts as the OG games, so now they've got some more fans in the West. Like how a few DQ games did better than others(by western standards) like 8 and 11.

I'm no Sega pro, but I'm assuming Arle's generally a pretty popular character, in the same vein guys like Ryu, Terry, Mega Man and Simon are. If not the most popular, then probably Top 5.

On the opposite end, characters like Crash, Ratchet and Spyro, while not being outright replaced, got changed quite a bit for their Japanese versions as they were some thoroughly American/Western looking characters. Probably due to their genre, it's easier to replace a puzzle character than a platformer with a ton of animations for the lead character.
Though I'll be fair; Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is a great game despite it not letting us properly get a Puyo Puyo game for a while.

I wish Panel De Pon didn't suffer similarly. It doesn't help it still hasn't actually gotten a proper translation, even if at least one dolled-up version was pretty neat(Pokemon Puzzle League).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Have there been any leaks? This drought is killing me!
No Smash leaks of any substance that we know of. There's a lot pointing to a Nintendo Direct happening on the 26th of this month. If we're lucky, Smash will be among the games shown off.

Though I'm kind of betting people will have their expectations really high since we waited so long. But that happens every direct anyway, so no big deal in the long run I guess.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well there's this leak that claims that Sony's planning to buy Silent Hill, Castlevania and Metal Gear, so you can chew on that. On one hand it's too good to be true, on the other it totally fits with Sony's MO and it would be an escalation of the recent acquisition spree both Sony and Microsoft have gone on.

Either way, people have been debating whether that would mean anything from Smash, from the Konami characters already in to the possibility of pure Sony reps.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Reminder that the creator of puyo puyo got the idea for the game from watching people playing Street Fighter 2 and Tetris at the arcade and was like "What if....................................I combine both! and ill use the Madou characters as the fighters!"

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
If you're talking about Smash leaks, well there isn't anything credible leaks on who is next... yet. And I'm not sure if we'll get a legit leak since Nintendo has been going nuclear on leakers ever since the Sword/Shield leak incident. Closest thing we got so far is a random twitter account (who only got attention because they correctly guessed Byleth would be FP5) who claimed Crash is next, but they got the date for the next General Direct wrong (they claimed the Direct was on February 12th and nothing came on that day). And let's not even get started on the 4chan and Discord leaks covered by certain channels...

As for Direct leaks, there's apparently a Nindies presentation this week and a general Direct on the 26th if what some sources are to be believed.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
look guys im telling y'all granblue is way more likely than we think

No actually. If there's a series that's "slept on" (most people misuse this word nowadays since it means no one even seriously considers or even talks about them–no, Dark Souls and Dovahkiin are not slept on as they've been prominent in speculation in the past, even if they're not as big now as they were in the past) it's Granblue. It's in a real good position to be in Smash, and I'd probably call it one of the most likely third parties as of right now.
Gran/Djeeta might be bland as hell (at least compared to the rest of the cast in Granblue) but if they come with a class changing gimmick then that will more than make up for their blandness. In certain situations I believe moveset potential triumphs over every other aspect of the character.

Now here's the million dollar question, what classes would most likely be picked if they do go with the class change route?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Gran/Djeeta might be bland as hell (at least compared to the rest of the cast in Granblue) but if they come with a class changing gimmick then that will more than make up for their blandness. In certain situations I believe moveset potential triumphs over every other aspect of the character.

Now here's the million dollar question, what classes would most likely be picked if they do go with the class change route?

All I know is that the FGC will praise it if Gran/Djeeta doesn't get the mighty Boot

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
All I know is that the FGC will praise it if Gran/Djeeta doesn't get the mighty Boot
Screw the boot. That thing is the biggest crutch in Versus and I'm sick of seeing it online, I don't think Smash players would be ready for boot-to-the-face provided it's as busted as in Versus.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If we're going for really obscure characters...

Ark! The protagonist of Terranigma for the Super Nintendo created by Square Enix!

View attachment 265799

Deep in the underworld lies a secluded and humble village of Crysta. Ark, a rebellious teenager breaks down a door that his Grandpa told him never to open. After breaking and entering, he finds a mysterious box containing a creature called Yomi who thanks the young boy and with a little back and forth banter between the two, he joins up with him and teaches him how to use the box. However while this is going on, the residence of his town suddenly crystallise and there is now a way out of the village. He ventures off to find 5 towers to revive the townsfolk. However the Elder informs him that since the mysterious box was opened, the world above has perished. Feeling responsible for his actions, Ark takes a leap of faith into the grounded portal to the hellish aftermath of the overworld. With snarky, wise cracking Yomi by his side as his only company, Ark's adventure begins!

Ark is a spear user who uses many kinds of spears during his journey across the globe but the first one he uses for the trials of the underworld is the CrySpear (Crystal Spear). This Spear heals Ark up by 1hp overtime but only works in the underworld. Ark uses the Spear within his four main attacks as shown below.

Not only that but he can use elemental rings to allow him to use magic attacks. I don't have gifs for these because I never really had any use for them when I was playing the game but they're more options for Ark to use.

Ark is a really cool character but since the game never got re-released outside of the Super Nintendo and he has many, many Square Enix characters to compete with, he is one of those long shot characters that will probably never see the light of day ever again and it's a shame because he's awesome and his character develops as the Story progresses.

Oh well...
Looks pretty cool. Spear looks a bit short, though, and the top artwork depicts a staff, not a spear.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If we are talking about obscure characters, what about Live a Live? It's made by Squaresoft so it's a Square Enix game.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
Don't worry about them, Geno fans are insecure because their character doesn't actually have anything going for them, aside from their echo chamber of support.

Sora would be infinitely awesome just on the sheer crossover factor, especially if he gets some Donald/Goofy/Mickey representation to come with him.
some of you should seriously stop ****ting on other fanbases

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
some of you should seriously stop ****ting on other fanbases
Some fanbases should be ready to answer to it though. Not that there's anything wrong with liking a character, but sometimes the picks are suspicious and difficult to justify as realistic for the common of mortals. That, or people join later and ignore the upbringing of a particular suggestion.

In the case of Geno, knowing full well that he's a sidekick from a single game... why not Mallow? He's the only other sidekick from that same game, and his support is quasi-nonexistant. What made Geno stand out so much? Was he that much cooler in the original game than his only competition? Why not consider all the sidekicks from Paper Mario while you're at it? None of them seem to have a strong following, and yet there are a ton of cool characters in those.

And so from an outsider's point of view, why is there such a massive following for Geno when these questions tend to be brushed off? Isn't it understandable that people assume there's a huge bandwagon that started out of nothing, and the true Geno fans are few and far between? Again, no attack here, just genuine interrogations. His popularity might be genuine and deserved, as I haven't played his game. But seeing how a few people often try to upset polls for this or that character, it really could have started either way and become what it is now.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Looks pretty cool. Spear looks a bit short, though, and the top artwork depicts a staff, not a spear.
All of the official artwork for Terranigma depict Ark holding a staff but the game has him mostly using spears and pikes.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Hmmm

Any franchises you guys would want to see get represented by a boss, as opposed to a character?

I'm gonna go ahead and take the easy pick: Dark Souls -- Orenstein and Smough specifically.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st

It's not a general Direct but at least it's something.
This has got me thinking that they might announce a smash announcement in next week's general direct in the Nindie's direct and reveal the Indie 'deluxe' mii costume in the Nindies direct.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
This has got me thinking that they might announce a smash announcement in next week's general direct in the Nindie's direct and reveal the Indie 'deluxe' mii costume in the Nindies direct.
They've never announced smash stuff in Nindie directs and that's not going to change for a variety of good reasons.

Staarih

Smash Master
Anything Smash related in an indie presentation would just overshadow everything else so that’s not happening. But at least we got something this week and if the rumors are true, a general Direct would happen next week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not a general Direct but at least it's something.
Jaa ne.

*stretches arms*

Pack yo bags, girls and boys. I swear we're getting ourselves ready for next week.

A leaker said an indie would happen this week right? That's looking goodbforba direct next week.
Not exactly leaker per se, but an article I think.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There's a first time for everything but I don't think they'll show a mii costume without showing Fighter 6 first. It really depends if Fighter 6 is an indie character.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
There's a first time for everything but I don't think they'll show a mii costume without showing Fighter 6 first. It really depends if Fighter 6 is an indie character.
I think it'd be a cool change of pace, given the overwhelmingly positive reception the last 2 costumes got. They might want to capitalize on that a bit more, and make the announcement of the skin seem more special -- as well as bring the Nindies direct to the attention of Smash fans, and vice versa (a lot of people here are dismissing the Nindie direct as anything other than an omen of imminent smash news)

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Hmmm

Any franchises you guys would want to see get represented by a boss, as opposed to a character?
Not so much a singular boss as much as it's a "horde"-type boss, but I'd like to see the swarm from Alien Swarm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom