• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I get that everyone has some long-lasting hype in regards to the Chorus Kids, but the thought of them...doesn't really excite me as much as this concept. Besides, as I keep saying, and as the comment section of this video keeps saying, why have only Chorus Kids, why have only Karate Joe, WHEN. YOU. CAN. HAVE. THEM. ALL??
I've always thought the Chorus Kids by themselves would be a pretty crappy representatives for the for the series, likely because each microgame in the series portrays a unique scenario and song that people love to see and hear. An ensemble character with someone like Barista or Karate Joe as the face would be leagues better in my opinion.

I don't think they should have a rhythm based moveset but I guess that's up to Sakurai.
They should definitely have a rhythm based moveset, but the rhythm mechanic should focus more on timing rather than keeping a beat (they shouldn't be unplayable with the music off). It also generally shouldn't cause attacks to be super weak (like, unsafe on hit levels of weak) upon failure to time the button presses, and upon success, it should really only optimize damage or change an attack's attribute.

Tots Woz

Hey y'all, Scott here!
People are acting like E3 won't be back on next year. It's not dead, it's hiding.
The problem stems from how the last three months (and the past event, too) have been building up to this point for both E3 and the ESA.

Even before the Coronavirus started to spread outside to begin with, we have an organization that didn't do their due diligence and basically went open season on the private information of thousands of industry people who went to the event last year. I know some people play that down as "not a big deal," but if you're the main organizers running one of the biggest events in the gaming industry, and in an age where drastic mistakes like that won't be forgotten on the internet, yeah I'd be pretty pissed and wouldn't forget about that, too.

Then came the whispers and leaks of how this year's show was going to turn out, being more so a "influencer-led festival" than a trade show, which led into various people leaving the event as a whole; Sony leaving again for the second time in a row is one thing, but people like Geoff Keighley and iam8bit, which were their Creative Directors for making their entire show floors mind you, then leaving? Three months near the event no less? That should've already raised some massive red flags to begin with. The Coronavirus literally was the "get out of jail free card" for lots of people and cherry on top.

This year essentially will decide E3's future. Basically every company who isn't Nintendo (and to an extent, Sony and Devolver Digital) now has to try their hand at the Nintendo Direct-format. Already we've seen it work out for Nintendo in spades, and Sony I think knows this now by just not going there for the second year in a row. But what about the other companies? If they happen to see that this works out for them and saves them a whole lot of money, then what's the incentive to even go again and spend tens of millions of dollars to just have a piece of the show floor and conference? This unfortunately isn't just some "thought within gamers minds", this literally is on the minds of lots of people within the industry.

This also doesn't help in the ESA's case considering E3 basically is their biggest money maker and about 50% of their revenue. I'm glad that they're doing refunds, but those refunds are going to be pricey. While I do think there are other venues like Tokyo Game Show, Gamescom or even The Game Awards to have networking, no doubt this will also not help the smaller developers who will lose out on a pretty big crosswalk between them and the big guys. Most notably a good example of what would be the Starlink devs and the Nintendo crossover and a good chance for Banjo & Kazooie's starting talks for Smash Ultimate.

I really do hope come next year a good amount of the industry bounces back from this and we happen to have events such as SXSW and E3 come back, but in the case for this, I wouldn't put it past people who think this is it for E3 and don't expect anything for the upcoming years. Right now, though, the only company who is "lucky" enough is Nintendo and probably plans for their Direct in June won't change, much like the March 26th Nintendo Direct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're probably crunching right now alongside basically everyone and the ESA, scrambling and figure out a game plan since we're three months to go for any supposed plans.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
The problem stems from how the last three months (and the past event, too) have been building up to this point for both E3 and the ESA.

Even before the Coronavirus started to spread outside to begin with, we have an organization that didn't do their due diligence and basically went open season on the private information of thousands of industry people who went to the event last year. I know some people play that down as "not a big deal," but if you're the main organizers running one of the biggest events in the gaming industry, and in an age where drastic mistakes like that won't be forgotten on the internet, yeah I'd be pretty pissed and wouldn't forget about that, too.

Then came the whispers and leaks of how this year's show was going to turn out, being more so a "influencer-led festival" than a trade show, which led into various people leaving the event as a whole; Sony leaving again for the second time in a row is one thing, but people like Geoff Keighley and iam8bit, which were their Creative Directors for making their entire show floors mind you, then leaving? Three months near the event no less? That should've already raised some massive red flags to begin with. The Coronavirus literally was the "get out of jail free card" for lots of people and cherry on top.

This year essentially will decide E3's future. Basically every company who isn't Nintendo (and to an extent, Sony and Devolver Digital) now has to try their hand at the Nintendo Direct-format. Already we've seen it work out for Nintendo in spades, and Sony I think knows this now by just not going there for the second year in a row. But what about the other companies? If they happen to see that this works out for them and saves them a whole lot of money, then what's the incentive to even go again and spend tens of millions of dollars to just have a piece of the show floor and conference? This unfortunately isn't just some "thought within gamers minds", this literally is on the minds of lots of people within the industry.

This also doesn't help in the ESA's case considering E3 basically is their biggest money maker and about 50% of their revenue. I'm glad that they're doing refunds, but those refunds are going to be pricey. While I do think there are other venues like Tokyo Game Show, Gamescom or even The Game Awards to have networking, no doubt this will also not help the smaller developers who will lose out on a pretty big crosswalk between them and the big guys. Most notably a good example of what would be the Starlink devs and the Nintendo crossover and a good chance for Banjo & Kazooie's starting talks for Smash Ultimate.

I really do hope come next year a good amount of the industry bounces back from this and we happen to have events such as SXSW and E3 come back, but in the case for this, I wouldn't put it past people who think this is it for E3 and don't expect anything for the upcoming years. Right now, though, the only company who is "lucky" enough is Nintendo and probably plans for their Direct in June won't change, much like the March 26th Nintendo Direct, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're probably crunching right now alongside basically everyone and the ESA, scrambling and figure out a game plan since we're three months to go for any supposed plans.
Hey Scottie boy, how do I become a successful Youtuber such as yourself? I want to rake in that E-Money

D

Deleted member

So I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the corona virus cancellation will be the final nail in the coffin that has been the declining E3 importance each year.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I've always thought the Chorus Kids by themselves would be a pretty crappy representatives for the for the series, likely because each microgame in the series portrays a unique scenario and song that people love to see and hear. An ensemble character with someone like Barista or Karate Joe as the face would be leagues better in my opinion.

They should definitely have a rhythm based moveset, but the rhythm mechanic should focus more on timing rather than keeping a beat (they shouldn't be unplayable with the music off). It also generally shouldn't cause attacks to be super weak (like, unsafe on hit levels of weak) upon failure to time the button presses, and upon success, it should really only optimize damage or change an attack's attribute.
Imo Karate Joe would be a pretty poor representation of the franchise. He's just a regular punchy dude. The reason why I was pushing Chorus kids (aside from Gematsu leak) is because with their unique design:
1) It would make people more interested to see what's the franchise about
2) it would need more originality to create a full moveset rather than just punch and kick with timing

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I at least saw one developer over at ResetERA echo the point that deals are literally made and signed at E3, something developers will miss out on if everyone just streams announcements with no presence at the convention centre.

I hope E3 comes back next year. Also hope people that want E3 to end quiet down. I keep seeing more ridiculous comments that make people sound like they haven't actually watched anything E3 related in years. People make it out like nothing from E3 gets streamed to people.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
With all this bummer news I kinda want a direct soon more than ever. Give everyone some sweet games to look forward to. Bring everyones spirits up. Announce Pac Man World 4. The usual stuff people should do during tough times.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
See, I think the exact opposite because the Chorus Kids as a trio (with a maestro making them a quartet) can actually act out all those unique scenarios in a way similar to Game & Watch. Any minigame that involves multiple people doing something in time can be acted out with the Chorus Kids. Lockstep; they perform the march in time together. Flipper-flop; they roll around on the ground in time with the Maestro conducting. Clappy Trio; they clap one after the other. Etc etc etc.

When it comes to capturing the point of Rhythm Heaven in a Smash character, the Chorus Kids are the best candidate for realizing a fighter based on musical groups. They're a barbershop trio, that's literally music related even before you start exploring their mechanics. A regular girl who tap dances or a karate student doesn't quite come close.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Imo Karate Joe would be a pretty poor representation of the franchise. He's just a regular punchy dude. The reason why I was pushing Chorus kids (aside from Gematsu leak) is because with their unique design:
1) It would make people more interested to see what's the franchise about
2) it would need more originality to create a full moveset rather than just punch and kick with timing
I'm not arguing for just Karate Joe though. I'm arguing for an amalgam character that becomes (or battles with like in the Barista example) the Clappy Trio, the Reporter & Wrestler, and The Wandering Samurai just as Mr. Game & Watch becomes the diver, the oil factory worker, and the doot doot. Karate Joe being the face of this character really just means that he's the one who appears in the character's default position.

See, I think the exact opposite because the Chorus Kids as a trio (with a maestro making them a quartet) can actually act out all those unique scenarios in a way similar to Game & Watch. Any minigame that involves multiple people doing something in time can be acted out with the Chorus Kids. Lockstep; they perform the march in time together. Flipper-flop; they roll around on the ground in time with the Maestro conducting. Clappy Trio; they clap one after the other. Etc etc etc.

When it comes to capturing the point of Rhythm Heaven in a Smash character, the Chorus Kids are the best candidate for realizing a fighter based on musical groups. They're a barbershop trio, that's literally music related even before you start exploring their mechanics. A regular girl who tap dances or a karate student doesn't quite come close.
You literally just described what I meant by ensemble character. Though instead of imitating each microgame I think their characters should be present so the attacks don't seem quite as random from a theming standpoint. If you can make the Chorus Kids operate in this manner rather than trying to focus on the idea that the character is a trio then I'm all for it.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
With all this bummer news I kinda want a direct soon more than ever. Give everyone some sweet games to look forward to. Bring everyones spirits up. Announce Pac Man World 4. The usual stuff people should do during tough times.
We're supposedly getting a general Direct on the 26th if insiders are to be believed. Curious to see what gets announced during the Direct.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I usually don't wish ill will upon things out of spite, but the plans I saw for E3 2020 makes me glad that it was put out of its misery.
Only real regret is that the cringe skits/unwanted celebrity cameos won't pop up this year, though if companies decide to try the Direct/State of Play approach the flavor of cringe will just be slightly different.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

E3 has been declining for several years - it's not not going to happen in 2021. Publishers will start to shift to a Direct format, as Nintendo has been doing for years, but Nintendo, despite being the frontrunner on this medium, always still attended E3. It's obviously not mutually exclusive to one or the other.

A publisher or two might pull out going forward, but such a thing was inevitable anyway. All the lack of E3 this year will do is speed the process, not accelerate it to the point of immediate obsolescence.

This year doesn't decide E3's future. E3's future was set years ago, with Nintendo shifting to digital, then Sony pulling out. E3 will continue to diminish, and would've continued to diminish even if this year had gone off without a hitch. But it's not going to diminish overnight.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if the 26th is true. Guys think we'll be seeing FP6 or do you think that won't be until E3?

If so I'm predicting Travis Touchdown.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Most people on here just look at E3 from the consumer's perspective. It was the biggest trade show in the industry for a reason, and a lot was going on behind the curtains that the common of mortals have never heard of. That's how trade shows work in every industry. People talk together, deals are made, ideas are shared, and none of this will happen with Direct only content. It might not make a big difference for content reveals, but that's not what's being lost in the process, decline or not.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I at least saw one developer over at ResetERA echo the point that deals are literally made and signed at E3, something developers will miss out on if everyone just streams announcements with no presence at the convention centre.

I hope E3 comes back next year. Also hope people that want E3 to end quiet down. I keep seeing more ridiculous comments that make people sound like they haven't actually watched anything E3 related in years. People make it out like nothing from E3 gets streamed to people.
With advances in technology, is it really as important that people meet in person? There could be a massive, completely online “expo” instead, with all of the same meetings, but with people never actually needing to leave their homes or places of work. (They could even do it in VR to simulate a bunch of people coming to an expo, but without all of the costly airfare, hotel rooms, ect.) Of course, that’d make it even harder to prevent things from leaking, but it’s still something to consider.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
With advances in technology, is it really as important that people meet in person? There could be a massive, completely online “expo” instead, with all of the same meetings, but with people never actually needing to leave their homes or places of work. (They could even do it in VR to simulate a bunch of people coming to an expo, but without all of the costly airfare, hotel rooms, ect.) Of course, that’d make it even harder to prevent things from leaking, but it’s still something to consider.
Replace conventions with the Matrix technology.

Except people only want that to happen to E3 for some reason.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don’t think Sakurai went to many overseas events besides E3 and that served the dual purposes of hyping up Smash tournaments and being able to negotiate with Western third parties. We probably wouldn’t have gotten Banjo if not for E3. Who knows what else.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
If so I'm predicting Travis Touchdown.
Travis, if he made it into the pass, probably won't be revealed until there's at least a release date for his next game. It's due sometime this year, but nothing has been confirmed beyond that. So I would guess he'd show up later in the pass, not as the first.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Replace conventions with the Matrix technology.

Except people only want that to happen to E3 for some reason.
While there is large value in real person-to-person connections, like, if E3 is that unprofitable nowadays, there isn’t as much of a choice, is there?

It also has the advantage of allowing people anywhere to try the games. I’d imagine that, to prevent the games from being datamined, they’d have to be streamed to the player, though, so you’d need a pretty good connection (and be willing to deal with lag.) Although, if it is in VR, it’d still theoretically be pretty cool to play the demos in a simulated venue while surrounded by lots of real users. There could be numerous instances of each area, so the lines would be vastly shorter, too.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Travis, if he made it into the pass, probably won't be revealed until there's at least a release date for his next game. It's due sometime this year, but nothing has been confirmed beyond that. So I would guess he'd show up later in the pass, not as the first.
If not Travis there's also Dante (Still pulling at some chance its Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright though) and Ryu Hayabusa who I feel are characters that'd begin it. Crash I feel is more an E3 reveal (If FP6 on the 26th Nintendo will still show their direct regardless).

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

I believe Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was pitched at E3 and of course Microsoft reached out to Nintendo a few years back at E3. E3 has it's own fair share of problems but there were some benefits when it came future deals and projects. If it comes back next year it needs an overhaul.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If there was a rhythm game rep I want someone from Idolmaster or Dance Dance Revolution
Dance Dance Revolution has characters?

Bonus points if we get a Just Dance rep instead of these two.
Ah yes, the Just Dancer. The character that has enough merit to join Super Smash Bros. but (almost) literally nobody would want.

Though if it did get in, it's Final Smash should totally be getting the opponent copyright struck for playing any of the music it came with on a YouTube video or Twitch stream.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If there was a rhythm game rep I want someone from Idolmaster or Dance Dance Revolution
plot twist it's a Love Live character :secretkpop:

tbh tho BEMANI music in smash would S L A P, just imagine beating the crap out of your enemies to Xepher

D

Deleted member

Guys we already have our rhythm game character, y'all :ultjoker:

Last edited by a moderator:

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I'm not arguing for just Karate Joe though. I'm arguing for an amalgam character that becomes (or battles with like in the Barista example) the Clappy Trio, the Reporter & Wrestler, and The Wandering Samurai just as Mr. Game & Watch becomes the diver, the oil factory worker, and the doot doot. Karate Joe being the face of this character really just means that he's the one who appears in the character's default position.

You literally just described what I meant by ensemble character. Though instead of imitating each microgame I think their characters should be present so the attacks don't seem quite as random from a theming standpoint. If you can make the Chorus Kids operate in this manner rather than trying to focus on the idea that the character is a trio then I'm all for it.
Everyone talking about Rhythm Paradise bringing up Chorus Kids and Karate Joe, but no one even gives Matt a second thought. He's literally the most "G&W-type" character there. If anyone can accurately rep Rhythm Paradise, it's him.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Everyone talking about Rhythm Paradise bringing up Chorus Kids and Karate Joe, but no one even gives Matt a second thought. He's literally the most "G&W-type" character there. If anyone can accurately rep Rhythm Paradise, it's him.
Would go with this guy, I feel like the Chorus Kids are so overrated.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought his name was Marshal...

Anyway, I was originally a supporter for this character in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U days, but Rhythm Heaven fans don't really seem to care about him, and much like the Chorus Kids, he's missed half the games in the series. He also only appears in the latter half of the series, and was replaced by Tibby in Rhythm Heaven Megamix, which makes things a ton worse for him.

EDIT: If we were to pick the face of a Rhythm Heaven amalgam character based on who represents the wackiness of the series the best rather than seniority I think I'd go with Tibby. The Chorus Kids are kind of wacky, but I can't picture the three of them getting smacked around as one unit in a way that looks good especially since they're likely to be flat like Mr. Game & Watch. Also, you can't get much wackier than a bubblegum pink bear with a bow tie and an Afro that's nearly the size of his body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom