• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Smash Direct or just a normal Nintendo Direct; either would be fine (I'd actually prefer a general direct, really). Just so long as all we get isn't just an Indie Direct. Broccoli is nice and all, but what I want are the meat and potatoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Well wynn, on one hand you have precedent of every new IP moving 2+ million units getting a sequel, statements from Nintendo regarding what they were looking for commercially out of titles, and people who at least have a vague understanding of what constitutes a commercially successful game, and on the other hand you have people ignoring the actual sales data and making their argument revolve around an extraneous comic book.

Let me tell you that anyone who suggests Nintendo expects five million out of their new IPs, which is Splatoon level, has no absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Breath of the Wild, a AAA title and presumably the most costly game of Nintendo's to develop, only required two million to break even. Success would've been what, four million? And you're suggesting that ARMS needed to outperform that to be considered a success by Nintendo. Ok wynn. Ok.

Oh and before you raise how ARMS DLC ended earlier than Splatoon's, it would probably behoove you to know that Splatoon 1 DLC only lasted one month longer than ARMS DLC did, and that game sold three million more copies. One month.

Literally anybody who would still insist that the level for success is that of Splatoon is doing so simply because they've dug in their heels over an uninformed opinion and refuse to concede. But here's your chance, because what you're saying is just objectively wrong. Not that you've any credibility left to lose, but you could at least gain a bit.
The thing that makes it seem deader to me personally isn’t the sales, since it indeed sold well, but rather, the lack of lasting cultural influence. Of course, I could be looking for it in the wrong places...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Thing is, with a mortality rate of 2 percent when it's literally everywhere, it means the worst case scenario is 2 percent of the planet dying off. That's a total of one hundred fifty million, six hundred thousand people who would be dead in that scenario. If you understand it like you claim you do, why ****ing question it? It's like "I know 2x2 is 4, but why is 2+2 4 aswell?"
Sorry for the inconsistency I admit to it. Its just my mind has been groggily and been rather worked up dwelling on the matter (Worrying about members of my family) since yesterday.

Anyways to all you guys out there be safe and don't get sick. I also wish your loved ones safe as well especially your mother Gwen I hope she'll be fine.

Last edited:

Jeremy Smasher

Smash Cadet
Pretty sure the reason Chorus Kids got scrapped is because Sakurai realized that timed hits are an objectively bad mechanic for fighting games. There's a reason the only timed hit attack is a command grab that starts the timing thing after you land the grab
Incineroar's grab, right? As well Wii Fit Trainer's down special is also like that. I can live with such a reason being the case for there not being a fighter; there being emblem data for the Rhythm series in the code and the enemy implies it was worked on to some degree, maybe even past the cutting of the Ice Climbers seeing as their series wasn't present in the emblem data. But perhaps they only realised it would be an issue like you said after the initial plan and when working on the fighter itself, kinda like with how they realised Chrom would be too much of an Ike/Marth takeaway only during development? We have still yet to have a fighter focusing on even a specials-amount of those timed moves, so is it possible that's truly why they were cut?

Guess we won't know unless we say, receive some kind of "timed fighter" in Smash in the future or official word is given suggesting otherwise for whatever reason. Assuming Geno gets in and barely has any "timed hits" attacks to reference his game like in Smash Crusade, that could be the ticket...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Actually, people seem to be genuinely disappointed by this disconfirmation.
Yeah, I'm sure those are the exact same people that are "genuinely disappointed" that Chorus Kids didn't happen...

It's people making predictions based on previous patterns, upset that their prediction wasn't correct.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing that makes it seem deader to me personally isn’t the sales, since it indeed sold well, but rather, the lack of lasting cultural influence. Of course, I could be looking for it in the wrong places...
Well if being a fixture of online conversation were a more important factor than sales, we'd all be rich with F-Zeros, Kid Icaruses and Golden Suns.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, I'm sure those are the exact same people that are "genuinely disappointed" that Chorus Kids didn't happen...

It's people making predictions based on previous patterns, upset that their prediction wasn't correct.
Dude, Chorus Kids and Ring Fit aren't even comparable. There have been people vying for a Rhythm Heaven rep on here for years.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

People just want the characters in man it's not so complicated.

How the **** is Ring Fit now a bandwagon pick when nobody was talking about it before the Spirits

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

They were never at the top of my list, but I'm genuinely disappointed Chorus Kids didn't happen because it's a series worth representing with an interesting, unique character. I'm always for bringing new first-party series into the fold (excluding Wii/Mii stuff, which idc about).

I'm getting the feeling the reason it didn't come to fruition was less possible technical hurdles and more because how Sakurai envisioned a timing-based moveset perhaps didn't mesh well with Smash's frantic tempo, but I'd still enjoy seeing the character if they can be realized in an enjoyable way.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well wynn, on one hand you have precedent of every new IP moving 2+ million units getting a sequel, statements from Nintendo regarding what they were looking for commercially out of titles, and people who at least have a vague understanding of what constitutes a commercially successful game, and on the other hand you have people ignoring the actual sales data and making their argument revolve around an extraneous comic book.

Let me tell you that anyone who suggests Nintendo expects five million out of their new IPs, which is Splatoon level, has no absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Breath of the Wild, a AAA title and presumably the most costly game of Nintendo's to develop, only required two million to break even. Success would've been what, four million? And you're suggesting that ARMS needed to outperform that to be considered a success by Nintendo. Ok wynn. Ok.

Oh and before you raise how ARMS DLC ended earlier than Splatoon's, it would probably behoove you to know that Splatoon 1 DLC only lasted one month longer than ARMS DLC did, and that game sold three million more copies. One month.

Literally anybody who would still insist that the level for success is that of Splatoon is doing so simply because they've dug in their heels over an uninformed opinion and refuse to concede. But here's your chance, because what you're saying is just objectively wrong. Not that you've any credibility left to lose, but you could at least gain a bit.
Well see if ARMS has a future, I extremely doubt it but would be glad to be wrong.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Well if being a fixture of online conversation were a more important factor than sales, we'd all be rich with F-Zeros, Kid Icaruses and Golden Suns.
There’s a difference between it feeling dead and it actually being dead, since we don’t know what Nintendo is actually planning currently. (For example, no amount of either sales or user chat will overcome creative difficulties that prevent them from wanting to actually make a new game in any given series.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There’s a difference between it feeling dead and it actually being dead, since we don’t know what Nintendo is actually planning currently. (For example, no amount of either sales or user chat will overcome creative difficulties that prevent them from wanting to actually make a new game in any given series.)
Well, I mean, I agree with that. ARMS might feel dead right now, but is it actually dead?

Precedent says no. Typical business practices says no. We'll see what Nintendo says.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I'm keeping my hopes on this guy for a Rhythm Heaven rep.
I get that everyone has some long-lasting hype in regards to the Chorus Kids, but the thought of them...doesn't really excite me as much as this concept. Besides, as I keep saying, and as the comment section of this video keeps saying, why have only Chorus Kids, why have only Karate Joe, WHEN. YOU. CAN. HAVE. THEM. ALL??

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not a big rhythm gamer, but I love this video so Rhythm Heaven gets my vote.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
E3 ending should be a warning of how difficult and expensive game development has become where triple AAA games literally take 5-6 years to make and once development ends these companies dont have anything to show for another several years. Meanwhile during the Gamecube/Xboc/PS2/DC era you had hundreds of great games coming every 2-3 years.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I remember i was psyched about them being in the cast after the grinch leak because I thought they were pretty charming.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well, I mean, I agree with that. ARMS might feel dead right now, but is it actually dead?

Precedent says no. Typical business practices says no. We'll see what Nintendo says.
How about that many plans related to expanding the ARMS series is all dropped and dead. If this series actually has a future you think they would continue to invest into it and give proper updates to currently announced projects instead of going silent for a whole year with no acknowledgement at all.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Man, the whole corona panic makes me happy that I'm not a social person, and that I just stay indoors most of the time.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
People are acting like E3 won't be back on next year. It's not dead, it's hiding.
It might come back next year but I doubt it will be as prevalent as it used to be. A lot of major influencers like Geoff Keighley were thinking of dropping out before the cancellation news, and we even had Sony drop out completely last year. It seems with the advent of the age of information there is no need for a big event like this since it's much cheaper to broadcast your news on the internet by yourself. Not to mention that big leak that happened last year destroyed the confidence of a lot of industry officials.

A damn shame really because the true magic of E3 happens behind closed doors and not in front of the audience. A lot of companies and major developers met together on this event because it really was the only time in a year where every major gaming company were on the same avenue. A lot of deals and friendships were formed from this event. A recent example of one of these friendships is Microsoft porting their games to the Switch and putting Banjo in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not a big rhythm gamer, but I love this video so Rhythm Heaven gets my vote.
yeah man i agree

Speaking of ARMS, I think the issue is that nobody ever really talks about it. That doesn't inherently mean it flopped as seen with Avatar, Disney's second most succesful movie, but I feel it does say something about the reception if nobody cares enough about it considering this is the internet, where even niche communities are able to find their own circles to talk about their favourite things

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Aight I wanna get some consensus on this:

Do you or do you not think that the 3rd part spirit events point to DLC characters from their corresponding publishers (being Capcom for Resident Evil and ArcSys for River City Ransom)

My take is:
90% they deconfirm characters from those series.
70% Capcom gets a rep
75% ArcSys gets a rep.

The addition of new third party content may point to that pub getting a rep in FPv2 (especially for ArcSys, who didn't have any content in the game beforehand), but nothing is certain.

To answer the other question floating around rn:
Smash speculation has gotten me to play XC2 (which I don't think I even have a good thing to say about), DMC5 (which is mega awesome, might also buy 3 on the switch, and anticipation for Terry (and subsequent Sol/Nightmare/Heihachi/Fulgore/Scorpion speculation) got me to get more into fighting games in general, which I'm grateful for -- GG and SC particularly.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

I still find it pretty hilarious that in the last part Banjo was one of the characters swatted away and nearly four months later he joined the roster. Ditto for Sans and Cuphead even if those two are Mii costumes.

D

Deleted member

I still find it pretty hilarious that in the last part Banjo was one of the characters swatted away and nearly four months later he joined the roster. Ditto for Sans and Cuphead even if those two are Mii costumes.
Yeah, which goes to show how crazy the scene has evolved since Joker. ****ing incredible.

Firox

Smash Master
Do you or do you not think that the 3rd part spirit events point to DLC characters from their corresponding publishers (being Capcom for Resident Evil and ArcSys for River City Ransom)
I'm pretty sure that spirit events deconfirm their respective franchises but not necessarily their companies. For example, I'm 99% sure Resident Evil isn't getting a new fighter but Capcom itself could easily still be in the game.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

God, I love this video.
The idea of having a Rhythm Heaven rep in Smash always seemed cool to me. Never played the games. After seeing this, I feel bad for not having the Chorus Kids in Smash. It would be nice if they were DLC or in the next Smash.

I don't think they should have a rhythm based moveset but I guess that's up to Sakurai.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm both upset and not upset at the E3 news.

I mean, This update probablt doesn't affect Nintendo that much since they've been doing directs since E3 for 5+ years now, and I'm sure other gaming companies will do some sort of digital presentation(s) during E3 time as well. In the end we will still get some great gaming news and reveals I'm sure.

Still, there's more that goes on beyond the presentations as others have said behind the scenes and doors and whatnot, and regardless of how one feels about past E3s or how cringy they can get at times, E3 has still been a huge part of the gaming industry for a long time now. and it's never exactly fun to see something like that be cancelled or go away (well, E3 isn't really going away and it will probably be back next year assuming no other outbreaks happen, but you know what I mean).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it would be cool if Nintendo did their own convention. It wouldn't be anything huge, but it would focus mostly on Nintendo and any games exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Maybe a few others if they really wanted to be included.

Basically, what they already do several times throughout the year at smaller conventions.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think it would be cool if Nintendo did their own convention. It wouldn't be anything huge, but it would focus mostly on Nintendo and any games exclusive to Nintendo consoles. Maybe a few others if they really wanted to be included.

Basically, what they already do several times throughout the year at smaller conventions.
SPACE WORLD 2020 BABY

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Have we gotten anything that originated as a Flash game in Smash yet? If not, Meat Boy or Binding of Isaac would be a great start for Flash originals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom