• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well, R.I.P E3 this year. But it’s understandable, Don’t want to endanger anyone to the virus.

But man..... This year ain’t looking to good for video games.....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'm just tired as again, the event being canned doesn't mean all those E3 plans have gone to waste, especially Nintendo's
I agree. Nintendo is showing something during the summer no matter what, and there has been zero evidence provided that the virus has affected their game and direct announcements.

It's not all doom and gloom on the game front, and I'm gonna hammer it the **** in if someone says otherwise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just may as well barricade ourselves at home at this point especially with Itaky under complete lockdown. That will surely stop the spread.

What's the point of life otherwise...

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No but like for real
E3 getting canned isn't harming what you guys care about

D

Deleted member

Just may as well barricade ourselves at home at this point. What's the point of life otherwise...
Dude just keep good hygiene and be aware of what's going on in your state and city specifically. It's not the apocalypse. E3 literally isn't that big of a deal for game announcements.

Last edited by a moderator:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
E3 is canned huh? Shame but that really isn't going to stop announcement season.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
E3 was never gonna replicate the glory of Konami 2010 so what was the point anyway

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I gotta kinda wonder tho. I cant exactly remember but swine flu, zika, SARS and MERS weren't just to this extreme. What suddenly makes coronavirus so special.

Wouldn't surprise me if media is just trying to get attention. They'll likely do the same thing when we get the next so called pandemic...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
My opinion is that the most likely first party DLC character would be from an unannounced game set to release either this year or some time in 2021.
I feel the opposite to be honest. I know a lot of people are looking at Byleth and thinking the next character must be promotional, but if you look at their (and the others) situations all of them were characters that the public was aware of before the time of their choosing.

• Three Houses was announced in 2017 and properly unveiled in July 2018, at least four months before the final character was locked in for DLC.
  • Fates was announced in January 2015, around five months from when the datamine points to them starting their development for DLC. In fact, their game released in Japan around the time.
  • Even Binding Blade was announced under its tentative title in 2000, and also had the additional benefit of having a character who would be an easy clone.

In none of those cases were we completely blind to their existence before the decision was made to include them. We were at least somewhat aware of the games and what they would be about, and their timing worked possibly because that also allowed Sakurai to glean enough information about their respective games and characters to work with and include. If we get a character from a recent game I feel it'll be from one we've learned about at least before the beginning of the decade, not someone who's as of now completely unknown to most.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I gotta kinda wonder tho. I cant exactly remember but swine flu, zika, SARS and MERS weren't just to this extreme. What suddenly makes coronavirus so special.

Wouldn't surprise me if media is just trying to get attention. They'll likely do the same thing when we get the next so called pandemic...
Because it's worldwide, transmits faster and has higher mortality rates? John Oliver reported on how Corona already killed more than SARS and MERS and that was before Italy had 100 deaths, let alone the 300+ now

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Tried Yakuza 0 because everyone wants Kiryu to be a playable character. The combat is a lot of fun and I like that you can beat people up with a bike but I'll have to play more of the series for me to really want him because he isn't doing anything for me right now. I'd still rather have Axel Stone over him.
I want Kiryu in smash not for the character himself but for the stuff he'd bring with him.

His stage would no doubt be cool, the music in Yakuza is always great and the spirit battles would be amazing.

Last time they dubbed Yakuza, which was the original, Majima was voiced by Mark Hamill and it was glorious
You see it's perfect casting because Majima is just the Joker but with a moral center.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Maybe you wouldn’t get it so badly, but the elderly and those with weak immune systems are more likely to die from it. I live with such people - my family.

anyway can we please talk about something else?

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
No but like for real
E3 getting canned isn't harming what you guys care about
This is a good point. Didn’t talks for Banjo getting in begin at E3 2018? And then other stuff like getting Star Fox in Starlink only happened because of Nintendo seeing Ubisoft show it off. Sure, this stuff could hypothetically happen elsewhere, but I imagine E3 was a good melting pot

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Take it from someone who works in a hospital and gets exposed to stuff all the time. You'll never be completely safe. There's always a chance that you'll catch something, even when you take all the necessary precautions.

That being said, you don't need to live in fear either. You don't need to stock up on groceries and lock yourself in your house for several months until this thing blows over. Just wash your hands, stay away from large crowds, and avoid people displaying common signs of the flu.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Because it's worldwide, transmits faster and has higher mortality rates? John Oliver reported on how Corona already killed more than SARS and MERS and that was before Italy had 100 deaths, let alone the 300+ now
Maybe you wouldn’t get it so badly, but the elderly and those with weak immune systems are more likely to die from it. I live with such people - my family.

anyway can we please talk about something else?
And that I understand but everything I had read they're treating like it's the next bucolic plague or black death when that isn't the case. Regardless it's still got an higher mortality rate and plenty of people with family that don't want them to die from it notably the elderly and people with health issues.

If it gets where I am I'll only be worried due to my grandpa.

Aside from health other reasons to contain an virus no matter how potent whenever new ones pop up.

Economic reasons, shippings, marketing, risk of it mutating, have it die down faster, hospitsls getting flooded leading to no more room which could cause it to spread more, the concern of riots and panicking occurring which would be more harmful.

So in the end I still understand the reasons for it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sucks about E3, it's always been one of the big highlights of the year for me, but it's the right decision. A gaming convention is probably one of the last places I'd expect attendees to take the necessary precautions for a virus like this considering a lot of the people who go to these events already don't adhere to basic hygiene rules.

Will be interesting to see what happens with E3 next year though, things were already looking kinda bleak for the event before this, with it not happening this year you have to wonder if more developers will see this as a natural opportunity to drop it going forward.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Kind of a general question to everyone, but has Smash speculation ever gotten you to try a new series or game before?
Yes it did. A couple times.
  1. Dragon Quest 11 - I tried out the demo and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a RPG guy but the game managed to suck me in. Bought the full version and am a good ways in it.
  2. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - We rated Kyle Hyde on RTC one day and I was intrigued by the art style and premise. I am a visual novel fan so I had to get it. Haven't got that far into it, but it's promising.
  3. Puyo Puyo - Back in January when Arle was getting that big push and publicity, I got curious about the Puyo Puyo games and I got Champions for the Switch. I enjoyed Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine so automatically I liked the gameplay.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Even with E3 cancelled guys were still gonna get our Nintendo Direct on that day since they're never live.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kind of a general question to everyone, but has Smash speculation ever gotten you to try a new series or game before?
Smash speculation got me back into Dragon Quest and made me play the Banjo duology again for old time sake. Good stuff.

D

Deleted member

The Game Awards have been slowly gaining steam while E3 has been losing popularity. Even without the Coronavirus, E3 was looking like it would only last another couple of years before people just don't show up at all anymore. Both Nintendo and Sony have had less presence and even with being the only console presence the last couple of years, Microsoft was still unable to run away with marketshare. With this cancellation, there's a real chance E3 just won't happen at all next year as all the companies are going to have ways around it this summer and likely increase their presence further at the Game Awards.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And that I understand but everything I had read they're treating like it's the next bucolic plague or black death when that isn't the case. Regardless it's still got an higher mortality rate and plenty of people with family that don't want them to die from it notably the elderly and people with health issues.

If it gets where I am I'll only be worried due to my grandpa.

Aside from health other reasons to contain an virus no matter how potent whenever new ones pop up.

Economic reasons, shippings, marketing, risk of it mutating, have it die down faster, hospitsls getting flooded leading to no more room which could cause it to spread more, the concern of riots and panicking occurring which would be more harmful.

So in the end I still understand the reasons for it.
Thing is, with a mortality rate of 2 percent when it's literally everywhere, it means the worst case scenario is 2 percent of the planet dying off. That's a total of one hundred fifty million, six hundred thousand people who would be dead in that scenario. If you understand it like you claim you do, why ****ing question it? It's like "I know 2x2 is 4, but why is 2+2 4 aswell?"
E3 is dead.

TIME TO RESURRECT SPACEWORLD
View attachment 265438
Welp, you heard it here first folks, FP6 is Beta Poliwrath

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Will be interesting to see what happens with E3 next year though, things were already looking kinda bleak for the event before this, with it not happening this year you have to wonder if more developers will see this as a natural opportunity to drop it going forward.
Everyone at the ESA and everywhere else had to know that canceling it this year means ending it forever.

Less participation, less need in the age of streaming, lots of cost saving with no impact on game exposure. Nah, press F to pay respects for the gaming convention.

That said, I may expect someone to do a more social/networking event in the summer of 2021 to fill the void. Or maybe GDC or PAX or Gamescom or something will fill the void.

The sad thing is, Sakurai, Iwata and Nintnendo in general have always loved E3 and supported the crap out of it. Even going back to Melee's announcement, Sakurai ALWAYS saved a nugget or three for E3. Frankly, I bet he did this year as well.

Likely this year still has a summer announcement for Smash and an early June direct planned. But likely in the future... I bet things will change by 2021.

Oh and to answer the other question right now, Smash/Smash speculation has got me to play
  • Kirby - hated it
  • Earthbound - hated it
  • Kid Icarus - hated the original, Uprising was a good time.
  • Xenoblade X and 2 - fun games, glad I played them.
  • Punch Out - not my thing
  • Shovel Knight - Enjoyable!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo themselves aren't even giving this game a chance for a follow-up. They were wanting this to be as successful as Splatoon and it failed to reach that. They got initially invested and were actually willing to make a comic book series out of it with Dark Horse, but that series is in development hell and will mostly likely just be canceled. It was suppose to release in Fall 2018, then say that it will release in January 2019, and never said anything about at all for a whole year. This is a series that just doesn't look to have a future at all.
Well wynn, on one hand you have precedent of every new IP moving 2+ million units getting a sequel, statements from Nintendo regarding what they were looking for commercially out of titles, and people who at least have a vague understanding of what constitutes a commercially successful game, and on the other hand you have people ignoring the actual sales data and making their argument revolve around an extraneous comic book.

Let me tell you that anyone who suggests Nintendo expects five million out of their new IPs, which is Splatoon level, has no absolutely no idea what they're talking about. Breath of the Wild, a AAA title and presumably the most costly game of Nintendo's to develop, only required two million to break even. Success would've been what, four million? And you're suggesting that ARMS needed to outperform that to be considered a success by Nintendo. Ok wynn. Ok.

Oh and before you raise how ARMS DLC ended earlier than Splatoon's, it would probably behoove you to know that Splatoon 1 DLC only lasted one month longer than ARMS DLC did, and that game sold three million more copies. One month.

Literally anybody who would still insist that the level for success is that of Splatoon is doing so simply because they've dug in their heels over an uninformed opinion and refuse to concede. But here's your chance, because what you're saying is just objectively wrong. Not that you've any credibility left to lose, but you could at least gain a bit.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Not surprised in the slightest at E3 being cancelled. Shouldn't have too big of an impact for most game announcements aside from next gen stuff, which probably isn't coming any time soon for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom