• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So some had speculated we could get an BotW2 character for Nintendo to promote. If it were to happen which character would it most likely be?

BotW Zelda?

Besides her the only other ones I could think is either one of the champions and potentially the BotW versions of Ganon or Demise.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I still want the F-Zero GX character themes in Smash and don't understand why we never got any. Licensing, maybe.

And it's got to the point that it's entirely possible no one even knows what I'm talking about anymore. Just old lady ramblings.
The music in F-Zero GX was way better and extensive than it had any right to be. 41 character themes that you would only hear if you decided to read the pilot profiles. It's great, I even bought the CD for GX and had it imported from Japan.

Also Kate Alen has a really underrated theme

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean, The Champions are gone from BOTW2. We only know of Link and Zelda for now, so it’s...actually kinda hard to say who or what we would get from the game itself.

Unless of course they give us a 3rd Zelda to go with the 3 Links we have.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So some had speculated we could get an BotW2 character for Nintendo to promote. If it were to happen which character would it most likely be?

BotW Zelda?

Besides her the only other ones I could think is either one of the champions and potentially the BotW versions of Ganon or Demise.
I'd be very happy if Sakurai reused his Decidueye plans for Revali. The two have a very simmilar skillet.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

BotW Zelda?

I mean, it's pretty obvious.

d04975d3179a541fdc55c2e6735fab30.gif

But seriously, we don't even know if this guy will return. It's even possible that Link and Zelda are the only returning characters.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
But the question is though is.

Does BotW2 need to be promoted in Smash to sell well? The way I see it, Nintendo is choosing 1st party promos that they feel wouldn't sell well if they weren't promoted in Smash. That's possibly why a Three Houses reps was chosen since it was before the game ended up being a success without Smash.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The music in F-Zero GX was way better and extensive than it had any right to be. 41 character themes that you would only hear if you decided to read the pilot profiles. It's great, I even bought the CD for GX and had it imported from Japan.

Also Kate Alen has a really underrated theme
Lily Flyer’s theme tho

gives me slight Zero Escape vibes tbh

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I love Zelda's incarnation in BotW, her design is great and all but, even if she's a playable character in the sequel and has some cool stuff I don't think selling another Zelda as DLC would be the best choice for DLC. Base game? Yeah, why not. But for the fighter pass? It would be like selling Zero Suit Samus as DLC... yeah, she has a completely different moveset and looks but in the end, she's Samus and she's already in the game.

inb4 someone mentions Byleth because he's another Marth

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I love Zelda's incarnation in BotW, her design is great and all but, even if she's a playable character in the sequel and has some cool stuff I don't think selling another Zelda as DLC would be the best choice for DLC. Base game? Yeah, why not. But for the fighter pass? It would be like selling Zero Suit Samus as DLC... yeah, she has a completely different moveset and looks but in the end, she's Samus and she's already in the game.

inb4 someone mentions Byleth because he's another Marth
Corrin is more similar to Marth than Byleth.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But the question is though is.

Does BotW2 need to be promoted in Smash to sell well? The way I see it, Nintendo is choosing 1st party promos that they feel wouldn't sell well if they weren't promoted in Smash. That's possibly why a Three Houses reps was chosen since it was before the game ended up being a success without Smash.
That could be true, but that doesn't explain why Byleth was released last instead of second or third. They could've easily requested that Sakurai work on him before some of the others. It would've been a little harder for Sakurai I'm sure, but it's very doable (Greninja began production more than a year before his game was released). Plus, the timing would be perfect.

Regardless, promotional material is promotional material. Nintendo advertised BotW in many of their games long after it was already selling well, including MK8D, Hyrule Warriors, Labo, and of course Smash.

Actually, them thinking the game will sell well might be part of the reason why they would add a BotW 2 character.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
In terms of a BotW character, someone in the past has brought up the idea of Kass as a fighter, playing bardic songs to evoke the spirits of the champions in battle. Playing as a giant bird with an accordion sounds like fun.

I know him being a smash fighter is rather unlikely, but I just want to say I love Kass and hope we see even more of him in BotW 2.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In terms of a BotW character, someone in the past has brought up the idea of Kass as a fighter, playing bardic songs to evoke the spirits of the champions in battle. Playing as a giant bird with an accordion sounds like fun.

I know him being a smash fighter is rather unlikely, but I just want to say I love Kass and hope we see even more of him in BotW 2.
As much as I'd love for Kass to be a fighter, he'd feel pretty forced as is. An AT maybe, but a full fighter when the most he's ever done is play an accordion and rhyme?

I think he'd need to be more active in BotW 2 before I'd be more comfortable with him.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well no new spirits, which depending on who you ask, is a pretty good thing all things considered.

Just PLEASE get me Theme of Captain Falcon instead of 10 SNES remixes nobody asked for and I will be content

ok fine give us Dr. Stewart and Black Shadow’s themes too
Even I can feel the Power.......

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Does anyone remember that leak from last year that said Banjo would get in & that there was discussions to get Jill Valentine in but they failed? I was just trying to look for it but couldn’t find it.

Everyone was saying Banjo would get in just to get some attention since he was so popular, but the Jill part seems to be true too.

At the time, I was sad since it made it seem like Capcom & Nintendo left the discussions negatively. But I’ve been thinking that since we did get Resident Evil in Smash as spirits, that Capcom/Nintendo decided on another Capcom character instead for one reason or another.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Can we have a Zelda character to promote BotW2... that isn't from BotW2? Please? Give us Vaati or Skull Kid or a Ganon that does actual Ganon things (and not just evil goop Ganon things or Great Value Captain Falcon things). We already have a BotW stage, so the new stage could be a pull from an older game too. "But PSIGuy, [character you suggested] doesn't even appear in BotW2 (that I know of)!" Easy, just add the new Smash Zelda character's outfit to Breath of the Wild 2 in a free update. Promote the Zelda series as a brand, not just a single game. I promise you, people will still be able to associate a new Zelda character in Smash with the fact there's a new Zelda game.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
As much as I'd love for Kass to be a fighter, he'd feel pretty forced as is. An AT maybe, but a full fighter when the most he's ever done is play an accordion and rhyme?

I think he'd need to be more active in BotW 2 before I'd be more comfortable with him.
Thats fair, honestly I just hope we see Kass again in BotW 2 with a bigger role since he's one of my favorite Zelda characters

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'd prefer if we get a popular Zelda character rather than a Zelda character that specifically only appears in BotW 2. With that said if we do get a BotW 2 character then the one that I'm all up for is Zombie Ganondorf who appears at the trailer of BotW 2. It's no Pig Ganon but it's the closest thing we'll get to a unique Ganondorf that isn't cursed by the Falcondorf moveset.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If we were to get a side-character from Zelda, it should be Midna. Midna is hands-down the most well-known side character considering Twilight Princess is the best-selling Zelda game second only to BotW. I'd argue she's also the side-character with the most personality.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
For first party promotional picks, it's honestly hard to say right now. Quite a bit of people on here have been talking about a new Zelda rep who could promote BOTW2, but if you're talking about a character from Zelda in general, then there's plenty of choices. But if you're talking about a character from BOTW2, well we can only make guesses based on what we know, because all we've saw from it is the teaser at the end of Nintendo's E3 Direct. That game's Zelda could be a candidate, but we don't know what role she'll have, whether she'll be a major supporting character as usual or end up being a playable character in BOTW2. Or you know we could have the game's version of Ganondorf. We'll have to wait until more details from BOTW2 are shown in a presentation before we have a better picture on who could represent that game.

As for Pokemon, it's a confusion situation to be honest. Yes, we got SwSh spirits back in November, but we only got four spirits from that, and two of those spirits consisted of two groups of Pokemon. What we could see are fully evolved forms of one of the starters or another new Pokemon like Toxtricity. Or we could see a Pokemon from SwSh's DLC as the new Pokemon rep. This will still be debated for months to come.

But if we're thinking a character who could promote a new game like what Byleth was intended to do for Three Houses (he/she was chosen before his game's release, which later became the highest selling game in the Fire Emblem franchise before he/she got in), then maybe we could guess someone like Sylux due to him being rumored to appear in Metroid Prime 4. Oddly enough, he's not present as a spirit even though a couple other bounty hunters from Hunters (Kanden and Trace). Let's not take this as a sign, of course, since anything can happen and we don't know about Metroid Prime 4's release window other than the fact that it had to restart development and Retro is still hiring in certain positions.

And of course there are sleeper picks like a character from Ring Fit Adventure. But in the end, Nintendo chose the characters in the second Fighters Pass, so it could be anyone. We are speculating on newcomers, after all.

Ricksaw

Smash Cadet
If we were to get a side-character from Zelda, it should be Midna. Midna is hands-down the most well-known side character considering Twilight Princess is the best-selling Zelda game second only to BotW. I'd argue she's also the side-character with the most personality.
Have you ever noticed how there is like 2 spirits of imp midna and one trophy but not even a single spirit or clue of human midna? If we do get midna and i wish we get her then i could bet it is going to be her twili form.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Have you ever noticed how there is like 2 spirits of imp midna and one trophy but not even a single spirit or clue of human midna? If we do get midna and i wish we get her then i could bet it is going to be her twili form.
On the contrary, if she ever became playable, the fact that the Midna spirit enhances into Midna & Wolf Link makes me think she'd ride Wolf Link as a fighter.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't have a particular horse in the Zelda race. It's not like Metroid or Mario where I can say I'd pick 1 or 2 characters I'd like to see. An old-school version of Ganon would be pretty neat though. I can understand wanting Impa too, since now the Zelda characters are mostly based on different games, rather than all needing to match each other, you'd think now would be the best time to implement one of the more action-y versions of her.

And then you got characters like Skull Kid and Midna who are generally popular as far as one offs go. Although, I guess not to the point as Dark Samus or K.Rool, despite the former being killed off(unless she's somehow back in Prime 4) and the latter being abandoned for 10 years before being in Smash.

Maybe there's some legitimacy to the whole "rally most Zelda fans behind this character" statement. It doesn't sound like a terrible idea, so long as people are as genuine as they can be about their support.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
BoTW2's main problem going for it is that if this just like FP1 in terms of picking the main character over anyone else, then that makes a BoTW rep unlikely due to well Link being in the game.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Something else that'd be cool is if instead of having a promo Nintendo pick... they just pick a Nintendo character people wanted and requested. Someone who missed the mark for the base game and Fighter's Pass 1. They'd never do it because the promotion is too valuable but it'd be nice.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Unfortunately, two of the Nintendo characters I really wanted, Isaac and Spring-Man are ATs this time around. I'd gladly support them for the next game though. Dixie doesn't have that kind of role, but then we'd get back into the Spirit debate, but she'd still be a cool character.

Elma's more so someone I like strictly on an aesthetic level, and dual wielding is pretty cool.

There's Sylux, someone who I always liked(but I mained Spire in Hunters), but many people doubt will happen until he's given a larger role.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
And then you got characters like Skull Kid and Midna who are generally popular as far as one offs go. Although, I guess not to the point as Dark Samus or K.Rool, despite the former being killed off(unless she's somehow back in Prime 4) and the latter being abandoned for 10 years before being in Smash.
Dark Samus more popular than Skull Kid = craziest thing I've read today.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Dark Samus more popular than Skull Kid = craziest thing I've read today.
It's not impossible. Or at the very least, Dark Samus had less competition, with only Ridley being the only other Metroid character with a sizable fanbase, one of the largest obviously.

Meanwhile, Skull Kid, Tingle, Midna, Impa and even Ghirahim all had fans. So there were more directions for Zelda fans to go and try and pick a character they want in.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'm surprised that when there's a Zelda newcomer discussion Tingle is always never brought up. Don't get me wrong, I get why people would much rather want Midna, Skull kid, Vaati etc. Tingle is one of the few character with Impa (aside from Link, Zelda and Ganondorf) who appear in more than one game. He's in Majora's mask, Oracle of ages, Wind waker, Four swords adventure and The minish cap, with some cameo in other games and he's playable in Hyrule warriors. While I don't think he's that likely, I think he's more worth discussing than one-off character from older game.

Something else that'd be cool is if instead of having a promo Nintendo pick... they just pick a Nintendo character people wanted and requested. Someone who missed the mark for the base game and Fighter's Pass 1. They'd never do it because the promotion is too valuable but it'd be nice.
Considering that each fighter need to come with some spirit, some music and a stage, there's not that much possible choice aside from future release or recent release (which people would see as a promo pick).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm surprised that when there's a Zelda newcomer discussion Tingle is always never brought up. Don't get me wrong, I get why people would much rather want Midna, Skull kid, Vaati etc. Tingle is one of the few character with Impa (aside from Link, Zelda and Ganondorf) who appear in more than one game. He's in Majora's mask, Oracle of ages, Wind waker, Four swords adventure and The minish cap, with some cameo in other games and he's playable in Hyrule warriors. While I don't think he's that likely, I think he's more worth discussing than one-off character from older game.

Considering that each fighter need to come with some spirit, some music and a stage, there's not that much possible choice aside from future release or recent release (which people would see as a promo pick).
Probably because he's normally a joke character, and most people would want someone who's cool and flashy. Although he's mentioned here and there, he might not be as popular as the others you've mentioned.

Are we even sure what kind of content the new characters will come with? It'd for sure make perfect sense for them to be the same as before, but I don't know if we got any news on that yet or not.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Probably because he's normally a joke character, and most people would want someone who's cool and flashy. Although he's mentioned here and there, he might not be as popular as the others you've mentioned.

Are we even sure what kind of content the new characters will come with? It'd for sure make perfect sense for them to be the same as before, but I don't know if we got any news on that yet or not.
Yes, if you go on the dlc page on the official site you can read on the fighter pass 2: "Expand your roster even more with six additional playable fighters, plus additional stages, and music as they release. Purchasers will also receive a bonus Mii Swordfighter outfit: Ancient Soldier Gear." https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

That being said I'm not sure about spirit board now that you mention it.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Yes, if you go on the dlc page on the official site you can read on the fighter pass 2: "Expand your roster even more with six additional playable fighters, plus additional stages, and music as they release. Purchasers will also receive a bonus Mii Swordfighter outfit: Ancient Soldier Gear." https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

That being said I'm not sure about spirit board now that you mention it.
I'm just hoping we get a Direct/character presentation soon so a lot of us could know about the contents of each challenger pack. We already know we're also getting a stage and some music but it hasn't been confirmed if we're getting additional spirit boards as well. And hopefully by the time the next presentation rolls around that we have an idea of what direction this Fighters Pass will take.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
And the winner coming up from behind here is:
Saki_Amamiya_en_el_Cuadrilatero_SSB4_(Wii_U).jpg

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

BotW Zelda?

If there's some kind of time travel shenanigans involved, my dream would be to get Young Impa in.

Last edited:

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Mmm, highly doubt BotW Zelda has any chance to become the new Zelda rep. I think Sakurai has mentioned at least twice how unfitting she is for a playable spot. I guess he will end up considering Link the rep of BotW2 and just call it a day...

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
That could be true, but that doesn't explain why Byleth was released last instead of second or third. They could've easily requested that Sakurai work on him before some of the others. It would've been a little harder for Sakurai I'm sure, but it's very doable (Greninja began production more than a year before his game was released). Plus, the timing would be perfect.
Because that would literally be the worst move they could possibly make involving Byleth. Releasing a character before, the whole point of Smash Bros is you at least know these established characters. So many are tired of Fire Emblem in Smash and having the eighth one in before Three Houses even released would indefensible.

You can still convince people to buy a game a couple months later by including the character in Smash Bros, you don't need to have that synergy where it's all released at the same time (unless it's an already an established character who's getting a sequel, which would work extreme well). Persona 5 had a sales boost on Amazon when Joker was revealed for Smash Bros, and that game was two years old and on a different console. I don't understand why that's so hard for people to understand. And seriously, imagine the reaction that would've happen had Byleth released before Three Houses. If you thought it was bad a month ago it would've been worse since nobody had the chance to even experience Three Houses before they could've been a Byleth fan.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As far as Zelda characters go, the only one I have any level of interest in is Impa. As for which one, I dunno. Despite never playing the game, The Hyrule Warriors one has the coolest look. An updated, improved take on the OoT version could be cool as well.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
They definitely would never do that because they know majority would be happy with anything (Piranha Plant, Byleth, and Assist Trophies apparently), so why bother putting in a character people wanted when the end result will be the same weither they did that or put a promo pick?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They definitely would never do that because they know majority would be happy with anything (Piranha Plant, Byleth, and Assist Trophies apparently), so why bother putting in a character people wanted when the end result will be the same weither they did that or put a promo pick?
Honest question, how much energy do you use to whine about ATs? Cause you cry about them every day, and idk, at that point it comes across as if you can't help but think about them every day, put that energy into something else, you keep telling others to give up supporting ATs so why don't you give up on the whining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom