• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Since a Warframe spirit has come to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, this tweet back in 2018 could suggest that companies can approach Nintendo instead of being approached.

It could save Doom Guy from the Marty Stratton interview. He did say Nintendo never approached them but he didn't say that they approached Nintendo.

Here's the Marty Stratton interview fro reference: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ith_nintendo_asking_for_doomguy_in_smash_bros
The Doom series has zero presence in Japan, it's a losing battle to get Doomguy in Smash Bros. At most he'll be a Spirit or Mii Costume, not paid DLC since that has to appeal to the Japanese audience.

D

Deleted member

The Doom series actually has a really established fandom in Japan, tbh.

Don't remember how much the series sells there, but the Doom hacking community they built has a decent size.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Since a Warframe spirit has come to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, this tweet back in 2018 could suggest that companies can approach Nintendo instead of being approached.

It could save Doom Guy from the Marty Stratton interview. He did say Nintendo never approached them but he didn't say that they approached Nintendo.

Here's the Marty Stratton interview fro reference: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ith_nintendo_asking_for_doomguy_in_smash_bros
I wouldn'te really say that this means anything. The Warframe Devs are massive nerds (as evidenced by Rebecca and Megan talking about MHA on Prime Time, and that time Steve made fun of Anthem of the DevStream), so I'd say this was coincidence if anything

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Of all the fighting game reps on my radar, this is probably how I'd rank them for likelihood:

Heihachi
Nightmare
Sol Badguy
Akuma/Chun Li
Fulgore
Ragna (Basically Sol but more violent and less iconic)

*gap*

Scorpion/Sub Zero (MK is literally not allowed in Japan)

but in terms of wantedness:

Sol Badguy
Akuma
Nightmare
Fulgore
Scorpion/Sub Zero
Chun Li
Heihachi
Ragna

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
Pretty much this now. And a few more announcements. I definitely think the coronavirus is the reason now.
Everytime this thread uses a serious thing like the Coronavirus to find reason on why there "consume product" video presentation isn't here

The more days that PS5 don't get announced

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The Doom series actually has a really established fandom in Japan, tbh.

Don't remember how much the series sells there, but the Doom hacking community they built has a decent size.
Doom isn't that popular in Japan but to say it has no presence is an over-exaggeration. It has a niche and grassroots community that is closely tied to the PC user base of Japan. Official ports for Doom were released for Japan during the time of release with official Japanese language packs. Japanese Doom wads have been developed for decades now, a community does exist, it may not be very big but it's something at least.

I'm noticing that people are underestimating the PC userbase in Japan, especially since Steam has immensely popularized the platform in the country. A 2016 news report found out that Japan is the fourth biggest PC gaming market around the world. Mobile gaming may be on the rise in Japan but there still exists a massive community of PC gamers in there, just because one market is bigger doesn't mean the other doesn't exist.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'd honestly say Doom is to Japan as Dragon Quest is to the West. Both are extremely popular in their home country and are considered some of the most important games in defining their genre, but have yet to find footing overseas beyond a small but very dedicated group of fans.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post - Spam
It's time to begin the summoning ritual. Summon your favourite character. I will start with mine

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB BANDICOOT ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB TOI BOI IN BLU ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's time to begin the summoning ritual. Summon your favourite character. I will start with mine

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB BANDICOOT ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB MY SLIDING SLINGER QUEEN ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

That or MY SMOL VEEMO/OOMI BABIES

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The general direct has gotta happen sometime soon. I don't think Nintendo can afford to keep pushing it off until E3.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
User was warned for this post -- spam
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB DANTE ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ or maybe sol ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

SKX31

Smash Master
I heard it a lot, but now when I actually research it I can't find an official citation, so I guess I'm wrong.

Still, the ninjas probably aren't more likely than any of those other characters except maybe Ragna
This article deals with Gears of War 4 not being localized there, but also mentions MKX. Really, releasing in Japan (and getting CERO's stamp of approval) is a question of "how much censorship needs to be done? If it's too much it's not worth doing it." Japanese games like Resident Evil are also asked to censor for release. IIRC CERO established its rules after a moral panic surrounding GTA, so earlier MK games (pre-4) did see Japanese releases.

In both GoW 4's as well as MK9 - 11's cases the devs looked at CERO's requirements and thought "Eh, not worth censoring all those gameplay elements". In MK's case that would've meant no X-Ray Attacks (9, X), Fatal Blows (11) - both of which are gameplay elements - and Fatalities would've been heavily censored. That's probably too much work for releasing an edited version meant for one country.

I could see properties like MK or GoW work as an anime though (given the legacy adult anime has in Japan, Fist of the North Star, Berserk etc.) so if Netherrealm didn't mind they could take the Netflix Castlevania route. I don't think MK would need an anime to get into Smash - but it would likely help. Of course it's up to if Nintendo / Sakurai are okay with MK in Smash in the first place, but that's a wonky question.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The Doom series has zero presence in Japan, it's a losing battle to get Doomguy in Smash Bros. At most he'll be a Spirit or Mii Costume, not paid DLC since that has to appeal to the Japanese audience.
You're right... I give up... There is no hope... I must share this message with the Slayer clan and tell them to give up all hope too and be depressed...

Sad day :^(

We already knew this from the Rare interview.
Not directly. They never said who approached first.

I wouldn'te really say that this means anything. The Warframe Devs are massive nerds (as evidenced by Rebecca and Megan talking about MHA on Prime Time, and that time Steve made fun of Anthem of the DevStream), so I'd say this was coincidence if anything
That maybe so but if Rare and Microsoft approached Nintendo first, the Matt Stratton interview could very well be deflection and the twitter post could confirm that it is possible to ask Nintendo instead of being asked.

I don't know if I'm making sense but I hope I am.

Sestetz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sestetz
Switch FC
SW-8244-4802-5322
I know people are hungry for directs, or at least like a direct mini or something like that. But honestly I'd rather have them push it back all the way til e3 and have a flurry of content, although then the e3 stream would be long as hell compared to it usually being an hour every time.

But for all of those on the edge of your seats, going by the last few years Nintendo has always had a direct in March. Thing is though, they had two specific directs for Pokemon, Smash, AND Animal Crossing this year. I think if we get a direct at all this month, it will be after the release of Animal Crossing New Horizons because the latest direct was about that. I'm gonna have a bet and say it will be before April 12th. April 12th is Easter, and Animal Crossing New Horizons will have to tell the peoples something about the dlc and such. This could be totally wrong if they just splat it on Twitter though.

April would also be a good time to announce the next dlc fighter, or at least have a shadow like Joker did. But I'm thinking that it may just be pushed back to e3. Unless they have the same release schedule like they did with Ultimate with 1 every 2 months. Maybe they'll do something like 1 every 3/4 months so it'll be covered for longer? 4 months after Feb is June, so I can see them revealing a fighter and releasing them e3 day and announcing another at the end of the stream.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
In case I haven't mentioned it yet this week. Red Electric Karate Man would be a cool character for Smash.

Jin Render Screen Cap.JPG

Let me play my first fighting game main in the platformer item crossover fest.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Everyone's still looking for that Nintendo Direct like:

But seriously, I'm pretty sure they planned on this schedule. A Direct for Pokemon in January, a Direct for AC in February, and perhaps a general Direct for March.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
In case I haven't mentioned it yet this week. Red Electric Karate Man would be a cool character for Smash.

Let me play my first fighting game main in the platformer item crossover fest.
I would much prefer Jin over Heihachi. Jin just looks more fun to play and he should have been Ryu's Namco rival.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I think the reason that Zelda fans haven't rallied behind Impa is that honestly, the idea that a new character has to be recurring doesn't come from Zelda fans, it comes from people who are trying to justify the lack of Zelda characters. People are just going to support who they like.

Plus, with the "one-offs" you have characters that have big roles in their one game (like for example Skull Kid and Ghirahim are the villains in their games, Midna's the sidekick, etc). Not only does their bigger role leave more of an impact, but their one-off status makes them representative of their game. Therefore, if people like one game, they like that game's rep (so if your favorite Zelda is Minish Cap you'll probably support Vaati). In that aspect it's really not that different from Fire Emblem.
People haven't rallied behind Impa because we know that she will just be a Shiek clone. There's no way she wouldn't be. After 18 years without a proper newcomer having yet another clone added would be the biggest waste ever. Impa supporters can come up with unique movesets all they want, it definitely didn't do Daisy supporters any good. Impa is the most boring possible choice for a new Zelda character compared to ones that could actually bring unique movesets with them.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of Zelda rep, I personally think it's pretty stupid to write them all off as "One-Off so unimportant", when the Smash cast is already full of one off ! With more than one in the Zelda section too haha
Zelda don't have a Main cast that stay the same, only Ganondorf is recuring out of the character we already have in, and ironically, he was at his first apparition only by the time of Smash Bros Melee, Links and Zeldas all change through time, and the best they can do is appear 2 times in a row, never a 3rd time, they do have recuring "roles" though

Companions (Midna, Spirit Zelda, King of Red Lions, Fi etc ...)
Vilains (Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Vaati, Ganon)
Side Helpers (Impa)
And more !

You can represent that instead of "recuring" characters that obviously doesn't exist in a series like Zelda (Well some does like Vaati or Tetra, didn't make them more likely though), to in the end, have a good representation of what the series as a whole is, with it's rotating cast represented by the most popular of them !

And finally, for those saying that "Zelda fans are super divisive ! That's why they didn't get a rep !", that's just plain out wrong, we didn't get a rep because we're divisive, we're divisive because we didn't get a rep, I can assure you, that if Mario didn't get a new rep since Melee, some people would want Rosalina, others would want Waluigi, others would want Bowser Jr, and others Toad, and even today as they get a new rep every game, they pratically have the same numbers of "Front runners" in popularity than Zelda
So yeah, not our fault that the series keep on making amazing characters every single game, and that Smash is using none of them haha, plus, in term of personal experience with Zelda fans, we're not one to make war to another character of the same franchise, Skull Kids fans are shill toward Midna fans and vice versa, of course there is always bad apples out there, but mostly, Zelda fans are hella chill toward any choices of their franchise, even if they have different favorites, and that's fine
Compared to other series, and taking my exemple from before ... I see Waluigi fans making war toward Geno fans, or Toad fans making war toward Waluigi fans wayyyyy more often than I see Skull Kid Vs Midna Vs Impa happen really

At least that's my two cents in all of this

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
if midna isn't in smash 6 i am cancelling the series
Haha, well, she surely have the popularity backing her, I should know, I'm one of the biggest Midna fans I know hehe
Let's just hope that Zelda don't get ignored again next time ! She's definitly a front runner due to how popular she is, and relevant too thanks to TP HD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Reminder that Ganondorf's last appearance in the mainline Zelda series was in Twilight Princess, thereby making him as irrelevant to the series as Midna and Zant are.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Reminder that Ganondorf's last appearance in the mainline Zelda series was in Twilight Princess, thereby making him as irrelevant to the series as Midna and Zant are.
That's ... Actually true on many levels, because since Twilight Princess, the only incarnation of Ganon/Dorf that appeared, are canonically completly different people from the one we have in Smash
The one from Four Swords Adventures is a re-incarnation since he died in TP
Demise is his original form, but still a completly different people (Zelda isn't Hylia, so yeah ...)
Others Zelda games that came out didn't have him in it, ALBTW is the only technical apperance he had, but damn, he may as well not be there in this game, his only use is to be absorbed by another Vilain haha

Firox

Smash Master
People haven't rallied behind Impa because we know that she will just be a Shiek clone. There's no way she wouldn't be. After 18 years without a proper newcomer having yet another clone added would be the biggest waste ever. Impa supporters can come up with unique movesets all they want, it definitely didn't do Daisy supporters any good. Impa is the most boring possible choice for a new Zelda character compared to ones that could actually bring unique movesets with them.
To be fair, you've clearly never played Hyrule Warriors. She used a glaive (pole sword) and played nothing like Shiek. Imagine a faster Byleth but without the ability to change weapons away from the spear. When you think about it, we don't currently have ANY bo staff/pole arm users in Smash except technically Byleth (I don't count Palutena either since it's more of a scepter and isn't used anything like a bo staff). That's more unique of a style than the mountain of swordies we have.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It will be a good day when this forsaken information drought ends completely. It's tiresome to talk about when the next Direct drops over and over.

D

Deleted member

All I'm doing is just typing. It takes so little time to do this with zero effort.
I believe you when you say it takes little effort because you make zero attempt to actually post anything productive, interesting, amiable, logical, or even original. Ranting about everything and not having to critically think when called out for being wrong is remarkably effortless.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, you've clearly never played Hyrule Warriors. She used a glaive (pole sword) and played nothing like Shiek. Imagine a faster Byleth but without the ability to change weapons away from the spear. When you think about it, we don't currently have ANY bo staff/pole arm users in Smash except technically Byleth (I don't count Palutena either since it's more of a scepter and isn't used anything like a bo staff). That's more unique of a style than the mountain of swordies we have.
To be completly fair ... Sakurai really seem to have something against Spin Off that aren't Mario, be it Pokemon and everything that is Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rangers, or Pokken, there is none of that in Smash, not even a song
Zelda is the same, Hyrule Warriors didn't even get a single track desepite having one of the best remixes the series ever produced, so ... I don't know if they would pull in the incarnation of a character from that game, when they even refuse to put a JPEG from that game in Smash

Though you're right, HW Impa slap, but every character slap in this game TBH, so it's not like it make her more special than the rest of the possible Zelda rep haha

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
No, I haven't. Dynasty Warriors and it's reskins don't interest me. Also they aren't going to pull anything from a Warriors spinoff for Impa when a quick clone job is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom