• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
For me, I actually forgot about the thing with V’s voice actor. I don’t even think of that.

It’s mainly that:

1) Nintendo is making the picks, could tie into promotional type picks

2) Devil May Cry 3 Switch is basically the “definitive edition”, which is quite similar to DQXIS. The difference is that DMC is obviously far older, which seems...strange to do.

3) The overall context of Devil May Cry on Switch in general came down to Dante being suggested for Smash. The first reveal of DMC1 came only a few months after that interview so, hypothetically, the conversation takes off from that interview, with the obvious context being “Dante4Smush?”.

4) With Resident Evil and Monster Hunter out, (MH is debatable), DMC is the one Capcom series most relevant to Nintendo at the moment, with potentially further support in the future. Mega Man and Street Fighter are in, Okami is dormant (though I hope it comes back), and Ace Attorney is awaiting another game.

It’s obviously circumstantial, but it’s definitely more than plenty of other characters have to go on as it stands currently. I try to keep bias out of it mainly because Dante is my most wanted, and I mainly see DMC and AA as the top competing Capcom series in FP2.

Obviously, folks believed Capcom and Namco we’re getting in during FP1, and that didn’t happen. While I won’t call anybody a lock until we get more information, I do think it’s worth keeping this sort of “circumstantial” evidence in mind.
I don't really think making DMC3 a definitive edition on Capcom's part really relates to Super Smash Bros. in any way. If developers that care about a game see a chance to build on it and make the experience better, they will do so.
I also don't think a developer saying "Well yes, I'd love [X] to be in Smash! But they should probably be on Nintendo first, right?" really means a whole lot either. Remember when Team Meat said they wanted Meat Boy in Smash? Haha. I mean, at least we know they're open for it now!

BUT I definitely concede that DMC is currently a forefront Capcom IP at the moment alongside MH, RE, and SF. With DMC5 making such a huge splash last year, I would not be surprised for it to be on Nintendo's radar like Persona 5 prior. I think that's the thing we ought to think about if we did consider another IP branching out from Capcom joining Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For those who have a Steam account there are some cool sales like the Sega one: Puyo Puyo, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza...
I mean, Yakuza 0 is at 5 bucks. That's a steal for such a great game.

**** me I'm trying to SAVE money whyyyy

Also I used a NSO voucher on TWEWY, Neku's cool

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
More specifically, he hovers around a bunch of insider discussions. I doubt he knows who FP 6 is, or would say it even if he did knew.
I'll be honest, "we" know jack**** this time. And with how crazy all that community is, we agreed that we will enjoy Seasons two once again like normal beings, no more jobs being risked or whatever just for stupid E-fame points. At least, that's what we think for most of the people who used to do that ****.

Let's not spoil or ruins surprises, if a leak happens, it'll happens, but we want to enjoy a show like others. Those leaks ruined enough people's sanity and **** over characters in a fighting game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll be honest, "we" know jack**** this time. And with how crazy all that community is, we agreed that we will enjoy Seasons two once again like normal beings, no more jobs being risked or whatever just for stupid E-fame points. At least, that's what we think for most of the people who used to do that ****.

Let's not spoil or ruins surprises, if a leak happens, it'll happens, but we want to enjoy a show like others. Those leaks ruined enough people's sanity and **** over characters in a fighting game
I like the sound of this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

So basically, anyone who's still claiming to be super reliable with inside sources who are very reliable is lying

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't really think making DMC3 a definitive edition on Capcom's part really relates to Super Smash Bros. in any way. If developers that care about a game see a chance to build on it and make the experience better, they will do so.
I also don't think a developer saying "Well yes, I'd love [X] to be in Smash! But they should probably be on Nintendo first, right?" really means a whole lot either. Remember when Team Meat said they wanted Meat Boy in Smash? Haha. I mean, at least we know they're open for it now!

BUT I definitely concede that DMC is currently a forefront Capcom IP at the moment alongside MH, RE, and SF. With DMC5 making such a huge splash last year, I would not be surprised for it to be on Nintendo's radar like Persona 5 prior. I think that's the thing we ought to think about if we did consider another IP branching out from Capcom joining Smash.
While I agree to an extent, I don’t really know that Super Meat Boy is on the same level as a series like DMC.

It should also be noted that around the time those dealings were made, and into E3, to my knowledge negotiations for Season 2 were already underway.

Again, it’s circumstantial and I perhaps may be viewing some of this in an unfair slant, though I don’t feel I am. I do feel it’s possible it could be a perfect storm to seeing Dante in Smash, but I could be completely wrong and he won’t get in.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
For those who have a Steam account there are some cool sales like the Sega one: Puyo Puyo, Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza...
I mean, Yakuza 0 is at 5 bucks. That's a steal
There is also a visual novel sale on steam so games like Danganronpa and Ace Attorney are on sale. Since this place was talking about Danganronpa a while back.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I do think E3 is an event that reaches more folks than your average Nintendo Direct, and that’s where some of the largest reveals have been. You get Ridley (heh), Mega Man back in the day, Ryu, Hero (meant for more DQ exposure on top of it), Banjo (huge because it’s Microsoft working with a “competitor” and the character is a longtime gaming ‘legend’)...I’d say it’s fair that folks can expect the “big guns”.

The exception to this was Cloud, but that also comes down to development and timing. Joker would have been an excellent E3 reveal, but the timing also didn’t work. Game Awards were another good pick to reveal a character.

Then you have Terry Bogard and Byleth. Not to say they’re “nothing” or something like that, but I think there’s context that the other picks have had that Terry just...doesn’t.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
FP6 given its likely March now I think will be one of those reveals around the lines of say like 2B, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, etc. and E3 being obviously very hyped like Crash, Master Chief, Steve or someone surprising like Neku.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel as though folks aren’t paying enough attention to the fact that Nintendo is calling most of the shots for DLC. This isn’t a case where Sakurai straight up “adds whoever he wants”.

Do I believe the DLC picks could absolutely be things he’d have wanted to add? Yes. But based on the way he describes the selection process, Nintendo asks him about a character, and they’ve gone from there to talk to the creators. If I remember correctly, Sakurai said they’ve yet to turn down a character at least for gameplay reasons.

At this point, the hope of any character...1st parties, 3rd parties, Spirit upgrades ( I personally feel ATs are out altogether), female characters...it all comes down to their standing with Nintendo, or their intentions in the future.

Sakurai does not have the same freedom as he has in the past with DLC, nor is it the same as base roster. We can’t keep just looking at this as if it’s the same, otherwise we’re going to have a bunch of people wide eyed, jaw agape, not understanding how they were clearly wrong.

Not saying I’m right all the time either. I just think folks are getting themselves set up for disappointment when they’re ignoring certain signs, especially because people seem to use, “Sakurai can do whatever he wants!” As a reason to make their most wanted have a chance at all.

Just something I’ve noticed.
With that said, I think we might see a newcomer from the upcoming Metroid or Zelda games eventually. Well, Zelda seems more likely than Metroid. Metroid got plenty already.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have one in mind for Adeleine already.

It's a recreation of the 64's second possession cutscene where she finds a crystal shard while trying to paint, only it's a Smash invite that falls from the sky. She then paints a scene of Kirby fighting Samus and ROB that transitions into her reveal within the fight.
I'd make a video where she has a flashback of Kirby, Dedede and MK getting the invite and her getting jealous. Then, she gets angry and draws the invite on the canvas with that smirk she has when she gets possessed by Dark Matter. Then, the invite becomes real and she invites herself to Smash, so the other characters start to fight her because she broke the rules with the faked invite.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wish that were so.
I'd love to be proven wrong though.
If Nintendo could really behind Byleth, why not a new Zelda character? I mean it's one of the biggest franchises for Nintendo. I just know there's gonna be one or two major first party picks. And they'll be more surprising than Byleth, who was obvious in hindsight.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Here is a franchise i've yet to see someone talk about in context of Smash: Worms

Worms.png

No, you don't need to tell me. This one isn't going to happen, but i really like the idea of it.

I played a lot of Worms 2 and Armageddon on PC as a kid and i LOVED Open Warfare 2 on the DS. Im currently watching one of my favorite
(former) Lets Player play it and it got me to buy the most recent game (Worms WMD on Switch) and it reminded me, how much i used to love
this series.

Just think about all the crazy weapons they could use as special moves (or even as regular moves). Weapons like the bazooka, mine or the jet pack
are obvious picks for special moves but i could see something similar to Heros down-special. The neutral special opens a small menu and you could use one of say 5 weapons as a side or down special and after you use them, you get a "cooldown-time" for this weapon for say 30 seconds. The final smash could be activated by throwing the holy hand grenade. This activates a short cutscene where all previously hit opponents are getting hit by the concrete donkey falling from the sky.

I made a lot of this up right now, but i don't think it's that bad of an idea.

Like i said: This one isn't going to happen, but i think it would be a really cool idea and would be unexpected for a lot of people (hopefully in a good way).

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Here is a franchise i've yet to see someone talk about in context of Smash: Worms

View attachment 264600

No, you don't need to tell me. This one isn't going to happen, but i really like the idea of it.

I played a lot of Worms 2 and Armageddon on PC as a kid and i LOVED Open Warfare 2 on the DS. Im currently watching one of my favorite
(former) Lets Player play it and it got me to buy the most recent game (Worms WMD on Switch) and it reminded me, how much i used to love
this series.

Just think about all the crazy weapons they could use as special moves (or even as regular moves). Weapons like the bazooka, mine or the jet pack
are obvious picks for special moves but i could see something similar to Heros down-special. The neutral special opens a small menu and you could use one of say 5 weapons as a side or down special and after you use them, you get a "cooldown-time" for this weapon for say 30 seconds. The final smash could be activated by throwing the holy hand grenade. This activates a short cutscene where all previously hit opponents are getting hit by the concrete donkey falling from the sky.

I made a lot of this up right now, but i don't think it's that bad of an idea.

Like i said: This one isn't going to happen, but i think it would be a really cool idea and would be unexpected for a lot of people (hopefully in a good way).
I like Worms too, it's another of those (very) few third parties that I would like in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Nintendo could really behind Byleth, why not a new Zelda character? I mean it's one of the biggest franchises for Nintendo. I just know there's gonna be one or two major first party picks. And they'll be more surprising than Byleth, who was obvious in hindsight.
Zelda seems to have the exact opposite problem of FE in which every game that should get a new character ends up releasing just a tad too late to be considered. Happened with Twilight Princess, BotW, and now possibly BotW 2. It's frustrating, because it's not like Zelda doesn't have any characters. It's just very unlucky with its timing.

It'll be disheartening if two BotW games weren't enough to net Zelda a newcomer, because the impact they've had (or impact I assume they'll have in BotW 2's case) on the community was incredible. It deserves so much more than a slight rework of Link, a stage, and three remixes.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I do worry that people are setting themselves up for disappointment by anticipating big names like Dante, Sora or Master Chief. While some of Fighter Pass 1's characters were very popular among the hardcore crowd (Joker, Banjo), I think Hero was the only truly big character -- 'big' as in Cloud or Ryu, with huge mainstream appeal. Hero's happened to be limited to Japan, but the significance was still there.

I don't mean to be the CEO of pessimism or anything, but I think FP1 set more of a niche/lesser-known precedent than a mainstream-giant one. With Fighter Pass 2's budget/development team possibly being smaller, I wouldn't bet on this changing. It isn't like they need the biggest characters to excite people, anyway; barring a certain gender-bending swordsman, the first pass was really well-received. I just have a feeling that these new characters are gonna come from series' people aren't talking about, too much.

And with this, a prediction: Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors is gonna be somewhere in that pass. I haven't even played those games, I just have a hunch lmao

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do worry that people are setting themselves up for disappointment by anticipating big names like Dante, Sora or Master Chief. While some of Fighter Pass 1's characters were very popular among the hardcore crowd (Joker, Banjo), I think Hero was the only truly big character -- 'big' as in Cloud or Ryu, with huge mainstream appeal. Hero's happened to be limited to Japan, but the significance was still there.

I don't mean to be the CEO of pessimism or anything, but I think FP1 set more of a niche/lesser-known precedent than a mainstream-giant one. With Fighter Pass 2's budget/development team possibly being smaller, I wouldn't bet on this changing. It isn't like they need the biggest characters to excite people, anyway; barring a certain gender-bending swordsman, the first pass was really well-received. I just have a feeling that these new characters are gonna come from series' people aren't talking about, too much.

And with this, a prediction: Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors is gonna be somewhere in that pass. I haven't even played those games, I just have a hunch lmao
The Smash fanbase has an abysmal track record with predictions.

I can't say whether or not people will be disappointed with the overall pass, but I think we'll be lucky if even two of the six characters were someone/something a notable number of fans had been asking for.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
We all know who'd sell the pass best right off the bat, let's not pretend here.

phoenix.gif

People see an Objection right at the end of a Nintendo Direct and they're already sold. Guaranteed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

How dare you keep my expectations in check, I'm now expecting my niche ass favourites only 12 other people would actively enjoy seeing in Smash just to spite you

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Didn't the series creator recently leave Capcom? Not that it'll affect his chances, but I felt it was worth mentioning.
No, Shu Takumi still works at Capcom.

If this is a recent thing you're referring to, you may be thinking of Shinsuke Kodama, who was the series planner for Dai Gyakuten Saiban, an Ace Attorney spin-off.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So basically, anyone who's still claiming to be super reliable with inside sources who are very reliable is lying
Basically yeah.
As I said, a Leak might happens, but don't expect the usual to talks. Except perhaps Vergeben or if someone in ResetEra need their dose of daily attention. Otherwise that's basically it

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

>Implying Persona 5 and Three houses aren't big name titles
QN8Tshng.jpg

I'm pretty sure DMC is on the same level as these when it comes to popularity all things considered.

Yeah expect niche games like Banjo and KOF that's a given but I think we're guarranted at least 2 or 3 big names.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
There’s setting up expectations, but then there’s also being pessimistic based on this idea of, “No big characters ever”.

Dante isn’t even this “major huge character”. Resident Evil was the biggest Capcom series, Monster Hunter is there too, and here we are.

Plus, my thoughts on Dante are based on particular circumstances. At least it’s not based on nothing, lol.

Also, Joker was hardly niche. Maybe by the size of his series...but Joker is more of a mainstream icon like Gerry Witcherman and 2B, not quite what I would call a minor character.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I mean, I don't think the new features for DMC3 on Switch means Dante in Smash. I don't think anyone thinks that. It's just that these new features felt a bit random to me and it reminds me of the definitive edition of DQXI. To clarify, Capcom already ported DMC 1, 2, 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360, and of course, they did the same for PS4 and Xbox One. I'm saying that because they already had the opportunity of including new things for DMC3 in these occasions. So DMC3 Switch version having style switching and other features is a bit curious, if you ask me.
As I said that doesn't mean anything for Smash, maybe just Capcom and Nintendo had a deal for this version of Devil May Cry 3 and they're playing nice with each other. But it isn't a point against Dante, that's for sure.

There is also a visual novel sale on steam so games like Danganronpa and Ace Attorney are on sale. Since this place was talking about Danganronpa a while back.
Yeah, I saw it just after posting my message. I think I'll pick the Danganronpa games on Steam, they're pretty cheap.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i mean smash dlc expectations are high because every non-nintnedo exclusive character HAS been a big deal. outside of corrin and byleth these inclusions have been shocking (of course hindsight is 2020) but to believe Nintendo wont deliver on these characters is really doubting a company whose DLC record (even looking beyond smash) is actually pretty good.

i think theres a difference between expecting a character to be a certain someone or being upset and expecting the character to be not that large a player in general.

I mean, I don't think the new features for DMC3 on Switch means Dante in Smash. I don't think anyone thinks that. It's just that these new features felt a bit random to me and it reminds me of the definitive edition of DQXI. To clarify, Capcom already ported DMC 1, 2, 3 on PS3 and Xbox 360, and of course, they did the same for PS4 and Xbox One. I'm saying that because they already had the opportunity of including new things for DMC3 in these occasions. So DMC3 Switch version having style switching and other features is a bit curious, if you ask me.
As I said that doesn't mean anything for Smash, maybe just Capcom and Nintendo had a deal for this version of Devil May Cry 3 and they're playing nice with each other. But it isn't a point against Dante, that's for sure.
as a fan of the action genre and a fan of dmc i have to disagreee. capcom allowed the version of dmc 3 that is on the switch to receive fan-requested changes and a system change that fans have asked for more than 10 years. Its not just a port, its easily the best version of the game to date. Companies do not do things just to do them. This is an olive branch and it feels like a give and take we just havent seen what capcom gets yet imo. Capcom was reluctant to touch dmc 3 for years because it was in their eyes nearly perfect and the original director/game designers no longer works at capcom to oversee any changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I was thinking about how much effort was put into Joker's victory screens to make them unique, I want to see somebody in this next fighter pass to have crazy victory screens like Joker. Who would y'all want to have special victory screens and what would make them special?

My dumb idea for a special victory screen is for Kiryu from Yakuza. When he wins it skips the "Kiryu Wins" and goes straight to Kiryu with a microphone singing this song. (Alternatively "Judgement" and "Hands" could be alternate songs, just like how Joker has 3 songs.)
That way when the others characters that lost the match are clapping, they're not just clapping for Kiryu's victory but also for his amazing singing skills!

As goofy as it might seem, Karaoke is a big part of the Yakuza franchise (Even the spin-off games set during the Samurai era have Karaoke) and it would be a good way to encapsulate the various mini games the series is famous for.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No, Shu Takumi still works at Capcom.

If this is a recent thing you're referring to, you may be thinking of Shinsuke Kodama, who was the series planner for Dai Gyakuten Saiban, an Ace Attorney spin-off.
Oh, sorry about that. I thought he was the guy behind the series based on how people were reacting on Twitter. They were acting like the series died then and there.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
as a fan of the action genre and a fan of dmc i have to disagreee. capcom allowed the version of dmc 3 that is on the switch to receive fan-requested changes and a system change that fans have asked for more than 10 years. Its not just a port, its easily the best version of the game to date. Companies do not do things just to do them. This is an olive branch and it feels like a give and take we just havent seen what capcom gets yet imo. Capcom was reluctant to touch dmc 3 for years because it was in their eyes nearly perfect and the original director/game designers no longer works at capcom to oversee any changes.
Hey I agree, I also wanted style switching for DMC3, but after all these years honestly I thought Capcom wasn't in the mood to add anything to DMC3 while porting it, at that point I just thought they would do it for an eventual remake of the game. For that reason the new features for the Switch took me for surprise.
Better late than never I guess.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We all know who'd sell the pass best right off the bat, let's not pretend here.

People see an Objection right at the end of a Nintendo Direct and they're already sold. Guaranteed.
Wright's one of my most current wants. Up there with 2B, Amaterasu, Crash, Elma, Master Chief and Nightmare.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I was thinking about how much effort was put into Joker's victory screens to make them unique, I want to see somebody in this next fighter pass to have crazy victory screens like Joker. Who would y'all want to have special victory screens and what would make them special?

My dumb idea for a special victory screen is for Kiryu from Yakuza. When he wins it skips the "Kiryu Wins" and goes straight to Kiryu with a microphone singing this song. (Alternatively "Judgement" and "Hands" could be alternate songs, just like how Joker has 3 songs.)
That way when the others characters that lost the match are clapping, they're not just clapping for Kiryu's victory but also for his amazing singing skills!

As goofy as it might seem, Karaoke is a big part of the Yakuza franchise (Even the spin-off games set during the Samurai era have Karaoke) and it would be a good way to encapsulate the various mini games the series is famous for.
I was thinking that if Kiryu wins a match the screens color go inverted before fading into the win screen like when you win a battle in Yakuza before fading back to the overworld.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I could imagine something for Sol, maybe it wouldn't be so cool as Joker's but here it is

When he wins using his final smash (which could be the one at 2:11), we would get 2:28 as the victory screen. 2:53 would be the regular victory screen or one of them, and 3:02 when he wins while he's using Dragon Install, if they give him that, of course.

Another option, maybe more original but it would need more work, is this

As the video shows, Sol could have different win quotes depending in who he faces in Smash. That would be 70+ lines to record, or maybe having a a few standard quotes for all the cast would be enough. Would be cool having him in that pose while his opponent is laying in the ground, but maybe that would be a lot of work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom