• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Forgive me for entering "my opinion" mode (at the worst possible minute I may add), but I'm just going to list the characters I don't want in Smash Ultimate and reasons why.

Dante (I'm an a**, I know, but Dante is already in Marvel vs. Capcom 3! We don't need him in Smash right now!)
Geno (I like Geno. I respect the fans who want Geno in Smash as well, but I don't think this is his time to shine right now.)
Bandanna Dee (Hate me all you want for this, but just like Geno, I don't think this is Bandanna Dee's time to shine.)
Eggman (In one word... NO. Just no.)
Rayman (See, Lucas? THIS is what cringe looks like.)
Crash Bandicoot (He'd be a good fit in Brawlhalla in my opinion, but not Smash.)
Not a bad idea. There are quite a few characters that I'd prefer never get into Smash as playable, but I'll narrow it down to 10. This is all my opinion. Lower the pitchforks.

1. Dante - All the reasons that you listed. The best incarnation of a playable Dante already exists in MvC 3. Smash won't blow my mind any further than MvC did with his move set. Guaranteed.

2. 2B - Or not 2B... That is the question.. Having played Nier Automata, I can see why her being in Smash would cross some minds. Playable though? No thanks. I did not care for the story at all and its not like she would bring anything "completely unique" to the table. I realize that we are lacking in female DLC, but that can easily go to more iconic characters like Lara Croft, Shantae, Dixie Kong, etc. I would've loved to have Ms. Pac-man.

3. A new Pokemon - I just don't want anymore Pokemon unless they are from Gen 1, which won't happen.

4. Amaterasu - Same reason as Dante.

5. Heihachi - I don't see Sakurai putting him in anyway, but I also wouldn't be happy to see him either. I'd rather have Jin, Kazuya, Yoshimitsu, or even King.. PSASBR ruined my want for Heihachi the moment I touched that game..

6. Dovahkhin - I don't see it.. I don't want it.. I really don't.. I'd rather have a random human in the Fallout Power Armor tbh.

7. Any Mario character that is NOT Waluigi or Geno - At this point Nintendo is trolling the Waluigi fans.. Like seriously.. Just put him in the ****ing game as a playable character and be done with it. Got a good feeling about Geno though.

8. A Rhythm Heaven rep - I have no idea how it would work and apparently neither does Sakurai. It might be safe to say that this will never happen.

9. Any other Activision rep besides Crash - Don't get me wrong. I love Spyro and I play Overwatch from time to time too, but Crash deserves it 1000x more in my eyes. Spyro is respectably close, but isn't quite there. Tracer however, is just a joke. I'm so glad I can say with absolute certainty that a character like Tracer will NEVER be in Smash Bros. Sakurai isn't that stupid.. I hope. Tracer is by far my most hated pick to ever come anywhere near Smash discussion. Even as just a .png. BLEH..

10. Any generic sword user - If they add anyone else with a sword, it better be a good enough move set to where I look passed it. Lloyd, Sephiroth, any FE rep, Ryu H, Nightmare, etc better offer more than just swingitty swing of the sword....

That's all I have to say. Have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The thing is that most of the video game characters that are even somewhat viable have been considered. Even characters like Sol Badguy are getting talked about more these days. Unless if some of the characters are people like Kratos or Gordon Freeman, I can't see there being too many more surprising characters.
In a sense it's inevitable to feel less surprise. Speculation for DLC started more than a year ago, so a lot of names are discussed. Of course, having unexpected picks like Joker and Terry or never evers like Banjo doesn't 'help' at all, because expectations are changing and becoming more demanding.

In any case it's not like most of people who plays Smash discuss DLC that much like us. But for one thing I would say that even if discussing characters makes them a bit less surprising, I think it's good if that will serve for the community to be more open minded about certain characters and franchises.

D

Deleted member

In any case it's not like most of people who plays Smash discuss DLC that much like us. But for one thing I would say that even if discussing characters makes them a bit less surprising, I think it's good if that will serve for the community to be more open minded about certain characters and franchises
I agree with you on that. Even if the DLC becomes less surprising as it goes on (in my opinion)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
If there's anyone I'm ready for to be in Fighters Pass Vol. 2, it's this guy.
View attachment 262117
Don't give me **** like "Spirits deconfirm" or "he's already got an assist trophy", because this reploid's got potential to be a fighter in Smash. Check my support thread out by clicking the link in my signature.
A ton of characters have potential to be fighters in Smash.

That doesn't mean they always will be, though.

Krankees

Smash Ace
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah how in the holy mother of **** is Shantae more iconic than 2B lmao

Nier Automata has sold over 4 million units. I don't one Shantae game has even sold over a million.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So what games are you guys playing to pass the time? I'm brushing up on my Fighterz skills (I need to stop playing Base Goku so much, it feels like I never stopped playing him), and I'm waiting for a smash fan game to update so I can play the 6 upcoming characters and a new Sora resprite that looks so amazing.
Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection. Finished both Black Flag and Freedom Cry, now I'm currently on Rogue. There's also the Aveline campaign, though I'm holding off on that until I get Assassin's Creed III on Switch and go through Liberation.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Been playing Mortal Kombat 9 on Steam modded for awhile now. It's so much better than the sluggish console version back in 2011. It honestly feels better than MKX too. MK11 was a big let down as well. MK9 was just ****ing perfect. Glad I can play it through PC now. Shows you what an optimized experience is supposed to be like. Doesn't feel like everything is moving at 30fps like on console.. Sheesh..

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I finally got around to playing Octopath traveler. I like it so far, reminds me of when I was a kid and would download random RPG roms to my father's PC and infect it with viruses that caused permanent damage to it.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Spyro Reignited Trilogy, Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, and Dragon Quest 11 mostly. Although I haven't been playing a ton of games recently. I've been mostly watching movies and TV shows.

btw, a unit from TABS for Smash!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Getting around to Celeste.

I'm not a big advocate for adding women in Smash for the sake of adding women, but I'd be down for seeing Madeline in some capacity since she offers more representation options than most other female characters could.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I played a bit of DQ1, still doing my New Leaf stuff, a bit of Pokemon Sun...

Just the usual. Otherwise, working on sprites, etc. Yay for getting paint-type work done. :D

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Not a bad idea. There are quite a few characters that I'd prefer never get into Smash as playable, but I'll narrow it down to 10. This is all my opinion. Lower the pitchforks.

1. Dante - All the reasons that you listed. The best incarnation of a playable Dante already exists in MvC 3. Smash won't blow my mind any further than MvC did with his move set. Guaranteed.

2. 2B - Or not 2B... That is the question.. Having played Nier Automata, I can see why her being in Smash would cross some minds. Playable though? No thanks. I did not care for the story at all and its not like she would bring anything "completely unique" to the table. I realize that we are lacking in female DLC, but that can easily go to more iconic characters like Lara Croft, Shantae, Dixie Kong, etc. I would've loved to have Ms. Pac-man.

3. A new Pokemon - I just don't want anymore Pokemon unless they are from Gen 1, which won't happen.

4. Amaterasu - Same reason as Dante.

5. Heihachi - I don't see Sakurai putting him in anyway, but I also wouldn't be happy to see him either. I'd rather have Jin, Kazuya, Yoshimitsu, or even King.. PSASBR ruined my want for Heihachi the moment I touched that game..

6. Dovahkhin - I don't see it.. I don't want it.. I really don't.. I'd rather have a random human in the Fallout Power Armor tbh.

7. Any Mario character that is NOT Waluigi or Geno - At this point Nintendo is trolling the Waluigi fans.. Like seriously.. Just put him in the ****ing game as a playable character and be done with it. Got a good feeling about Geno though.

8. A Rhythm Heaven rep - I have no idea how it would work and apparently neither does Sakurai. It might be safe to say that this will never happen.

9. Any other Activision rep besides Crash - Don't get me wrong. I love Spyro and I play Overwatch from time to time too, but Crash deserves it 1000x more in my eyes. Spyro is respectably close, but isn't quite there. Tracer however, is just a joke. I'm so glad I can say with absolute certainty that a character like Tracer will NEVER be in Smash Bros. Sakurai isn't that stupid.. I hope. Tracer is by far my most hated pick to ever come anywhere close to Smash discussion. Even as just a .png. BLEH..

10. Any generic sword user - If they add anyone else with a sword, it better be a good enough move set to where I look passed it. Lloyd, Sephiroth, any FE rep, Ryu H, Nightmare, etc better offer more than just swingitty swing of the sword....

That's all I have to say. Have a nice day! :)
>Shantae
>”Iconic”

And people wonder why this place is considered an echo chamber, lol.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Throughout the past couple of months, Resident Evil Origins Collection on Switch, REmake 2 on PS4, Ace Attorney HD Trilogy, Dragon Quest 11, The Last of Us, and Kingdom Hearts III. Also watching a lot of Anime and Netflix.

And just scrounging through BOTW from time to time looking for the last of those Korok seeds.

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Forgive me for entering "my opinion" mode (at the worst possible minute I may add), but I'm just going to list the characters I don't want in Smash Ultimate and reasons why.

Dante (I'm an a**, I know, but Dante is already in Marvel vs. Capcom 3! We don't need him in Smash right now!)
Geno (I like Geno. I respect the fans who want Geno in Smash as well, but I don't think this is his time to shine right now.)
Bandanna Dee (Hate me all you want for this, but just like Geno, I don't think this is Bandanna Dee's time to shine.)
Crash Bandicoot (He'd be a good fit in Brawlhalla in my opinion, but not Smash.)
This is actually a good idea. Allow me to add my $0.02

Doomguy: Endless speculation about this guy has made me hate him. If Scorpion or Kitana from Mortal Kombat can't get in for being too violent, why the hell would they put in Doomguy, the guy ripping and tearing demons to hell and back in bloody glory? Make that make sense to me. Why would he be the exception when Scorpion/Kitana isn't?

Geno: Sakurai tried to get Geno in Brawl and was denied. Sakurai probably tried for Sm4sh and Ultimate but I bet he was denied as well. If Geno gets in as DLC, cool, I'll be stoked for long suffering fans but if not, deal with it and move on.

Crash: I'd rather Jak and Daxter get in instead of that spazzy Tasmanian Devil rip-off and I say that as a former fan.

Rayman: I played his games. They were boring as hell. His design really sucks and again, endless speculation about him has made me hate him as much as Crash, Waluigi and Doomguy.

Waluigi: GET OVER IT! He's a trophy. I want Isaac, Zero, Shadow, Guile, Miku (From Fatal Frame) in it but guess what? They are trophies. Also, even if they upgraded a trophy, why would they choose this lanky, boring, side-game only character called Wah-boy, over many better choices? And before anyone says anything, If Daisy were not an Echo and not in the game, i'd say the same thing about her.

Spyro: If he was in the base game, that would have been cool but as DLC? I would be neutral.

Ryu Hayabusa: This ninja will always hold a special place in my heart because my mother loved the NG series so I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in the game. However, speculation has made me also hope he doesn't appear just for people to be salty

Sora or Master Chief: A part of me really wants to see if Sakurai could get him in the game, as a fan of KH and Halo. The other part of me doesn't want him in only to see people become really salty that things fell through.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Potentially unpopular hot take: the idea that certain characters shouldn't get in because they wouldn't be a "surprise" at this point is a really dumb reason to not want a character.

Not that I've anything against unexpected "surprise" characters like Joker and Terry, but saying that those types of characters should be heavily prioritized over long-requested fan favorites just for the brief surprise factor is just... what? :facepalm:
Hype is, ironically enough, overhyped.

Kinda sucks that legitimate like or dislike for a potential character is brushed aside so people can talk about how they're too obvious a character choice after discussing it in a place where peopLe are supposed to talk about characters they want in Smash over the course of months, if not years...

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I feel like the first fighter in the pass will be Sakura Shinguji. I feel that she's big enough of a character to lead the pass.
If there's anyone I'm ready for to be in Fighters Pass Vol. 2, it's this guy.
View attachment 262117
Don't give me **** like "Spirits deconfirm" or "he's already got an assist trophy", because this reploid's got potential to be a fighter in Smash. Check my support thread out by clicking the link in my signature.
MMZ4_Zero_(Zero_Knuckle).jpg
I'm on board for MegaMan (Zero) to join us especially if he comes with the Z Knuckle so he can rip out a fighter's special/ability and either use it himself or configure it into a weapon of his own.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I’m starting to notice a lot of elitism on this board. A lot of cliques. As soon as someone disagrees with a popular pick and presents their opinion on it, or makes a suggestion for a character that isn’t well received/highly requested, they become social pariah.

It doesn’t bode well for speculation when no one acknowledges opposing post, or when they do it becomes a bashing or damnation of that person’s opinion.

I’m starting to remember why I stopped posting here. Which is sad because I have fun posting here, but my god, it’s a video game and some of you get aggressive.

This is supposed to be fun speculation. Key word: Speculation.

spec·u·la·tion
/ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
Learn to pronounce
noun

1. 1.

the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

None of us have the first clue about who will be in the upcoming Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Not add to the fire or anything but its really funny seeing some people in the smash community go off about someone like shantae being iconic while ignoring or getting pissed at all these genre defining Japanese series that had like movies, animated series, concerts, play's, manga's, etc lol

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Bravely Default.

The announcement of BD2 back in December finally motivated me to give the series a shot and I'm enjoying it much more than Octopath Traveler.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I’m starting to notice a lot of elitism on this board. A lot of cliques. As soon as someone disagrees with a popular pick and presents there opinion on it, or makes a suggestion for a character that isn’t well received/highly requested, they become social pariah.
I mean, it doesn't help when someone with an opinion like that expresses it in the most condescending way possible, like constantly telling Waluigi and Geno fans to "get over it" and that their most wanted character is somehow the worst thing in video games ever...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I still throw up in my mouth thinking back to when people were vocally furious that a Direct was delayed due to a devastating earthquake striking Japan, leaving behind untold amounts of damage and literally taking innocent lives.
But you don't get it! They were going to reveal Isaac and that's why the Direct got pushed back! They didn't want to be insensitive so they pushed the Direct back. The Golden Sun photo proves it!

main-qimg-45e6a254494d86adb6c0e6f5de36d7da-c.jpg

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hype is, ironically enough, overhyped.

Kinda sucks that legitimate like or dislike for a potential character is brushed aside so people can talk about how they're too obvious a character choice after discussing it in a place where peope are supposed to talk about characters they want in Smash over the course of months, if not years...
Never cared about that myself. If a lot of people talked a character, clearly they have some merit. I mean, they ALL do, but you get the point. **** I wish more people talked about some of the characters I liked.

It'd be fun to see what ideas people come up with, even if we don't all agree with each other. What set of weapons should Mega Man X use for a Smash moveset? What about Dante's kit? Would Jin have his EWGF input? Is Hayabusa's moveset based on NES Ninja Gaiden or 3D Ninja Gaiden? Would Chun-Li even need Focus attack for her down special? How do you imagine Sub-Zero working like? or Lara Croft?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is why it's important to keep an open mind. This board does seem to have some hive minds in it that make the fans of certain characters look bad (Look at the rabid Waluigi fans for example). It's great to cheer for your favorite characters, but don't underestimate or judge other fighters unfairly.

Unless if it's another Fire Emblem character

/s

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Remember the last time we did this and how fun it was? How literal flame wars came out of it and they lasted for a solid two days? Good times.
This is actually a good idea. Allow me to add my $0.02
No, it's not a good idea. It's never been a good idea, yet people bring it up at least once a month and then everyone's surprised when this place becomes toxic because of the conversation that results from it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are a lot of characters that people treat as frontrunners when all they really have going for them is above average popularity and the fact that they could happen.

Like 2B, Crash, Dante, Travis, uh, Master Chief, etc etc.

These are cool characters, I get the appeal, and we might see some of them, but they don't really have a hook that makes them likelier than, y'know, a dozen other candidates. They're just the ones the fanbase likes to talk about.

When people say one of them is a safe bet, or they're assured in their inevitability, it seems a bit... overconfident to me. Like, for the entirety of the DLC phase I've heard how Crash is a frontrunner, and it's just like... how? Because he's a generally popular gaming character? The edge that elevates them over a bunch of other characters doesn't seem as pronounced as people make it out to be.

I mean look at the third-party DLC we've received so far. Without leaks, the only one that would've been on the tips of most people's tongues is Banjo. Meanwhile a bunch of the ones we focus on get shot down, be it Doom Slayer, RE characters, maybe Sora, and even most of the aforementioned characters for the first pass.

The characters at the forefront of discussion are certainly valid candidates - I don't find them implausible, but I also don't think they reside in some special, sparsely populated bracket. There are a bunch of plausible candidates out there, because the level of third-party Smash now draws from is quite vast.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not add to the fire or anything but its really funny seeing some people in the smash community go off about someone like shantae being iconic while ignoring or getting pissed at all these genre defining Japanese series that had like movies, animated series, concerts, play's, manga's, etc lol
You mean like the people calling Terrance "Legendary Hungry Wolf" Bogard, "a literal who"? SNK's not even my favorite FG maker, but ****. I know who the guy is and I played some of his games. Or some people acting like Simon wasn't really a popular request, when he actually was? Becasue at least the latter I could kind of get, since Simon was drowned out by people asking for K.Rool and Bayo.

Not that being super relevant matters that much, so long as people either want them, or are iconic and flashy enough to warrant being in I guess.

I'd actually like a second unique SF rep to use their V-skill/trigger from SFV instead.
I was mostly asking since, unlike Ryu and Ken, Chun typically has a few extra special moves to pull from, a lot of SF titles from Alpha onwards gives her like 4 specials. While Ryu's Donkey Kick was made into his Forward Smash. Of course some of Ryu and Ken's stuff is input only.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I mean, it doesn't help when someone with an opinion like that expresses it in the most condescending way possible, like constantly telling Waluigi and Geno fans to "get over it" and that their most wanted character is somehow the worst thing in video games ever...
That’s not always the case though. Most of the time it’s people simply disagreeing and stating why they disagree, and it’s like they took a lit match and threw into a kerosine tank.

Junno

Smash Rookie
as a main Sonic, I'd like to see Shadow in ssbu, but it seems that crash bandicoot has more opportunities to be in.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Did i stumble upon the secret ubisoft forum? Where are these "iconic" characters coming from?

Hot take: Most of the "Popular" characters in the smash speculation are not probably iconic. That word is certainly lost its meaning over the years

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Dante can't be in the game because he was in Marvel 3....a game from 9 years ago....what about Ryu who is also in Marvel 3? I know it's your opinion and that's fine but....when it's something like this, it's kinda hard to justify such a reasoning.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Another popular opinion: i personally don't like mentioning characters i wouldn't want because honestly that's being needlessly petty towards people who want that character.

For example, i want Crash Bandicoot, the main reason i want him is because he is dear to my heart and because i believe he has more of a nintendo presence that most of FP1 combined barring maybe Terry. Oh and because i really REALLY want the trailer to call back the Crash suit guy commercial dissing mario. That **** writes itself.

But i don't go around saying "Oh, Geno is a wooden megaman, why do people want him". That's my opinion but it will probably achieve nothing since its only just that an opinion.

This long post was brought you by the wholesome hamster boi. Praise the hamster and your smash dreams will become true. Otherwise, your Nintendo switch will break

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That’s not always the case though. Most of the time it’s people simply disagreeing and stating why they disagree, and it’s like they took a lit match and threw into a kerosine tank.
See these posts? This is pretty much the standard for speculation against characters nowadays.

Waluigi: GET OVER IT! He's a trophy. I want Isaac, Zero, Shadow, Guile, Miku (From Fatal Frame) in it but guess what? They are trophies. Also, even if they upgraded a trophy, why would they choose this lanky, boring, side-game only character called Wah-boy, over many better choices? And before anyone says anything, If Daisy were not an Echo and not in the game, i'd say the same thing about her.

Sora or Master Chief: A part of me really wants to see if Sakurai could get him in the game, as a fan of KH and Halo. The other part of me doesn't want him in only to see people become really salty that things fell through.

More times than not any arguments against a character involve personal attacks instead of "simple disagreements." Don't sugarcoat the truth.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
There's nothing wrong with people disagreeing and explaining why. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The problem comes when people decide to act like A-holes about it, which I usually see happen whenever people start listing characters they don't want to see in Smash. Even if the person to start the series of "I don't want this character" posts is perfectly respectful about it, there eventually comes that one post saying that certain Smash fans are somehow lesser human beings because they want to see *insert character here* included.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No disrespect here, but remember a few days ago when I said something along the lines of how the Smash fanbase more or less makes Shantae out to be larger than she actually is? Yeah.

I mean by no means do I think a character like 2B is a lock, but come on. One is a character from an Indie Studio and isn’t even the largest indie IP out there , one comes from a game developer who now recently has made it into the mainstream and has broken a few million...for one game, and was nominated for GOTY in 2017.

Also, the term “icon” hasn’t been used correctly, at least in my humble opinion, just because being an “icon” seems to mean different things to different people.

Finally, we need to take a step back and remember...popularity isn’t the end all be all decider of who gets in. If it was, the first season would probably look quite different. Hero and Banjo? Sure. Everybody else, I highly doubt counts in the “popularity” factor. There’s much more that comes into play than popularity, and while I understand we want who we like, and some characters are liked by many, at the end of the day there’s far more to character selection.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
here are the characters i dont wanna see in smuch

• can
  • we
  • just
  • stop