• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Smash? Nah.
All that matters now is that, alongside the Wave 4 of DLC for Three Houses, now you can invite Rhea to drink tea.

yooo that art looks amazing

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The funniest thing about Byleth to me is that because of how the Fighter's Passes were planned out, there's literally no chance of their future plans being changed in response, even if the reactions were 10 times more vitriolic than what we saw. They decided on the next set of DLC so far in advance that even if they wanted to change, it'd be safer financially/developmentwise just to continue down the path that they know will get an even worse reception.

I really wonder how bad the anticipated response to Pass 2 would have to be that they restructure their DLC plans and announced a delay Metroid Prime 4 style.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Not only do I get one of my most wanteds, but I also get to see a certain thread that shall not be named completely explode?

I really hope that you are right.
Eh, I'm not looking forward to another one of my most wanted receiving backlash after already dealing with this kind of stuff for Byleth.

I just want my badass android girl from my badass action RPG video game.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Forgive me for entering "my opinion" mode (at the worst possible minute I may add), but I'm just going to list the characters I don't want in Smash Ultimate and reasons why.

Dante (I'm an a**, I know, but Dante is already in Marvel vs. Capcom 3! We don't need him in Smash right now!)
Geno (I like Geno. I respect the fans who want Geno in Smash as well, but I don't think this is his time to shine right now.)
Bandanna Dee (Hate me all you want for this, but just like Geno, I don't think this is Bandanna Dee's time to shine.)
Eggman (In one word... NO. Just no.)
Rayman (See, Lucas? THIS is what cringe looks like.)
Crash Bandicoot (He'd be a good fit in Brawlhalla in my opinion, but not Smash.)

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Forgive me for entering "my opinion" mode (at the worst possible minute I may add), but I'm just going to list the characters I don't want in Smash Ultimate and reasons why.

Dante (I'm an a**, I know, but Dante is already in Marvel vs. Capcom 3! We don't need him in Smash right now!)
Geno (I like Geno. I respect the fans who want Geno in Smash as well, but I don't think this is his time to shine right now.)
Bandanna Dee (Hate me all you want for this, but just like Geno, I don't think this is Bandanna Dee's time to shine.)
Crash Bandicoot (He'd be a good fit in Brawlhalla in my opinion, but not Smash.)
Yeah, let's keep Dante out of Smash for now because of his appearance in a game from 2011.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Yeah, let's keep Dante out of Smash for now because of his appearance in a game from 2011.
He's also in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite, that one dead game on the PS4 people still play.

Also, did a little spying on the Geno thread earlier: they're STILL on about the CacoMallow and the CacoDemon leak.

Wait a sec. The Cacomallow leak happened around November. Could both the Cacodemon costume and Doom related spirits be delayed to coincide closer to the release of Doom?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I genuinely believe that either Devil may cry or Ace attorney is getting the spirit event treatment.

I can easily see one of them happening like that.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Looks like we need to cut Ryu then. Pack it up boys, its over.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
If we get FP6 in March/April I say its Travis Touchdown.

If E3 though then Crash Bandicoot.
The way I figure, we will get FP6 revealed in March, released in April. I don’t know who it will be. I think Heihachi would be a nice start. Then at E3 we will get one revealed that’s available the same day, and then another one, but that won’t be available until later. My guess is a Pokémon from Sword & Shield and a big one. Sora, Dante, Master Chief, Steve?. Someone that’ll break the internet.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I didn't know that being in a crossover game that's 10 years old by now means you shouldn't be in another crossover game. Guess that means Dante is not gonna be in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite... or Project X Zone... or Project X Zone 2... or Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2... or Monster Hunter World...
Some elaboration on why it's not their "time to shine" would be appreciated. If anything, considering that this is the ultimate crossover game that has made an effort to bring in some fan favorites, I'd argue its their time to shine now more than ever.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wish I had the patience to type out a whole thing on 2B, because she’d be so much more than “another sword user”. She’d be really great and stand out from plenty of other options.

Not to mention, we’d likely get some kickass music with her!

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
When it comes to the whole Dante thing, I’d be kind of sad if we got him with another huge request like Geno. I was happy for people who like Banjo when he got in, but when hero was announced before that I was a little disappointed. Erdrick and Banjo were the two who, as I know of, were the most expected. I wasn’t surprised at all. I don’t want that for Fighter’s Pass 2. If we get Dante or two of any characters who are wanted a lot, I’ll be disappointed. Unless they’re spread out, which I think would be fine. There still has to be some surprise in there.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Can I just ask people why do you want 2B? I'm not trying to start anything. I'm genuinely curious. I don't know much about Nier/Drakengard and I'm curious to why so many people want her in Smash? I don't want to be this way, but I would be disappointed if she got in before Geno, Sora and Lara Croft. So tell me 2B fans, what makes her a good candidate for Smash? Get me hyped for her!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If you were to ask me, I'd think otherwise for a female character, though I'm not sure who atm...
2B seems to fit great as an opener. ;)
Can I just ask people why do you want 2B? I'm not trying to start anything. I'm genuinely curious. I don't know much about Nier/Drakengard and I'm curious to why so many people want her in Smash? I don't want to be this way, but I would be disappointed if she got in before Geno, Sora and Lara Croft. So tell me 2B fans, what makes her a good candidate for Smash? Get me hyped for her!
The game she comes from is considered one of the best last decade not to mention an being an sword-wielding female android. What else is there to say? Can't get much cooler then that.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
You guys aren’t ready for a full female fighters pass
Some people couldn’t live without Dante or Travis in smash

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Pass 2 will have some picks that people don't discuss that much, I wouldn't worry about that.

As for the expected picks, honestly I couldn't care less about that. I mean, I don't want characters to be leaked. I like surprises. But characters are more important than that. I guess that if you don't have any particular most wanted then you maybe prefer a complete surprise, but if I can get my most wanted in exchange of knowing of his existence in the game before of his official announcement I'd gladly take that offer lol

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Potentially unpopular hot take: the idea that certain characters shouldn't get in because they wouldn't be a "surprise" at this point is a really dumb reason to not want a character.

Not that I've anything against unexpected "surprise" characters like Joker and Terry, but saying that those types of characters should be heavily prioritized over long-requested fan favorites just for the brief surprise factor is just... what? :facepalm:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

"I'm just going to list the reasons why I don't want them"

"We don't need him"
"Not their time to shine"
"No"
*nothing at all*
"Doesn't fit Smash"

It's not nice to make promises you can't keep. Don't get me wrong, I doubt anyone cares why you don't want these characters, but at least try to have actual reasons.
I think it's probably a combination of great game, great character, and great moveset. The former two I can't really explain, you'll have to play the game for yourself. As for the latter, she basically has swords floating around her, plus a drone following her around shooting, all while playing like a character action protag. I'm really simplifying things, but I think you'll get the gist.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Quite a few reasons:
  • 2B would be a good character to open the second Fighters Pass. Like Joker, she would be an unexpected but welcome choice.
  • NieR Automata sold much better than expected and is widely considered to be a good game
  • 2B herself has tons of moveset potential and has more than just a sword. She also has a spear and combat bracers, and can even use her own fists in combat. And she also has a small robot partner she can use to fire projectiles.
  • The music is amazing. In fact, the composer for NieR Automata has done a few arrangements for Smash already
  • And lastly, Sakurai himself enjoyed Nier Automata and has also played the entire Drakengard series and the original NieR game (source)

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Explain Reggie acknowledging the Waluigi backlash multiple times then, or Nintendo giving the greenlight to make DLC of veterans with trophies in back in Smash 4.
All talk and no action, it's super easy to acknowledge backlash but it's one thing to act on it. Sakurai agreed that there were already too many Fire Emblem character back when Corrin was revealed, but they went ahead with Byleth regardless of that acknowledgement. We have plenty of times where game directors/designers/executives have acknowledge backlash but still don't lift a finger to change anything. I mean, we had Todd Howard acknowledge that Fallout 76 wasn't what people were hoping for and they ain't fixing that game any time soon. Waluigi is never going to be playable, so they can acknowledge the backlash all they want and not have to do anything about it.

As for Smash 4 with trophies becoming playable you got to realize the important thing, making trophies take a long time. Smash 4 was in development for a long time, so when production started they already knew who they were making playable with no plans for DLC. So at the start they had a team that would work on making 3D models and descriptions for the hundreds of trophies that were in Smash 4. DLC was decided upon late in development so it didn't matter if the character was a trophy or not. They already had a moveset made for Mewtwo & Lucas so they're not going to disqualify them just because they were trophies, and they weren't going to remove the trophies because it took a lot of time to make them. Plus there is definitely a different mentality when designing Ultimate compare to Smash 4, such as how they were prepare for DLC early in development.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Pass 2 will have some picks that people don't discuss that much, I wouldn't worry about that.
The thing is that most of the video game characters that are even somewhat viable have been considered. Even characters like Sol Badguy are getting talked about more these days. Unless if some of the characters are people like Kratos or Gordon Freeman, I can't see there being too many more surprising characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but what if the pass opener and/or the Square Enix rep for pass 2 was neither Geno nor 2B but instead:

1581561612243.png

• Originated on a Nintendo system (DS)
  • An original IP on that system
  • Has a really dedicated following
  • Probably won’t have music licensing issues like Cloud and Hero
  • been teasing a potential sequel for years
  • THE MOBILE SITE WENT DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE LAST MONTH. last time this happened was before Final Remix’s release

Yeah, I’m thinking he’s in

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Potentially unpopular hot take: the idea that certain characters shouldn't get in because they wouldn't be a "surprise" at this point is a really dumb reason to not want a character.

Not that I've anything against unexpected "surprise" characters like Joker and Terry, but saying that those types of characters should be heavily prioritized over long-requested fan favorites just for the brief surprise factor is just... what? :facepalm:
>Joker
>”Brief surprise factor”

Newsflash, that wasn’t a “brief surprise” factor for many people. He is still my favorite inclusion to this day, hands down. And there were countless people who got their MW that day. Same thing goes with Terry.

Never change, Smashboards.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie 2B would be a good high-key surprising pick akin to Joker. The way people talk about her reminds me too much of Joker. Of course, saying that she would be a big surprise at this point is kind of subjective, but when characters like Master Chief are considered serious contenders for Fighters Pass 2, being a "shocking pick" is now a subjective matter.

Last edited:

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

It’s not I don’t want them. I’d just like the popular picks spread out unlike Hero and Banjo. That way we can shift from surprise to excitement. With Hero and Banjo, it went from excitement to more excitement to boredom as you realize it wasn’t as surprising as you thought. I’m fine with Dante and Geno and 2B. But I just want them spread out among the pass.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Ok but what if the pass opener and/or the Square Enix rep for pass 2 was neither Geno nor 2B but instead:

View attachment 262116
  • THE MOBILE SITE WENT DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE LAST MONTH. last time this happened was before Final Remix’s release

That would be amazing. It would definitely be similar to Joker, in which a lot of things, like the final smash, switch to the art style of the base game. It would have great music, and definitely would have a decent moveset. Not too sure about stages, but I do think it’s possible.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
>Joker
>”Brief surprise factor”

Newsflash, that wasn’t a “brief surprise” factor for many people. He is still my favorite inclusion to this day, hands down. And there were countless people who got their MW that day. Same thing goes with Terry.

Never change, Smashboards.
Still doesn't change my point that arguing for certain characters over others because they would be more "surprising" is dumb as hell. There's nothing wrong with including fan favorites that are "expected" at this point, and not every character needs to be a Piranha Plant-tier surprise.

It’s not I don’t want them. I’d just like the popular picks spread out unlike Hero and Banjo. That way we can shift from surprise to excitement. With Hero and Banjo, it went from excitement to more excitement to boredom as you realize it wasn’t as surprising as you thought. I’m fine with Dante and Geno and 2B. But I just want them spread out among the pass.
Fair enough. Nothing wrong with a couple surprises inbetween fan favorites. I just don't think they should dominate the pass while fan favorites are mostly excluded.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

View attachment 262116

>I don’t see how that gives him a leg up over his competition when we got Joker, a character who originated solely on PS4.
>This could also be applied to 2B and Geno (Coming from a major detractor of the latter), but to a potentially greater extent.
>But Cloud and Hero are in the game? So saying musical licenses can prohibit characters is kind of an already debunked point?
>Hint at sequel =/= Smash hint
>See above

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
If there's anyone I'm ready for to be in Fighters Pass Vol. 2, it's this guy.
Recoil Rod.jpg

Don't give me **** like "Spirits deconfirm" or "he's already got an assist trophy", because this reploid's got potential to be a fighter in Smash. Check my support thread out by clicking the link in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom