• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
So I’m interested in buying Three Houses. I despised fire emblem fates and I loved awakening. Which is it more like?

I don’t mean this as a troll or negative comment but I’m not a fan of weeb stuff, is it more on the side of being weebish or nah?
Depends on what exactly you mean by weeb. I would consider Awakening extremely weeby tbh, moreso than Three Houses.

That said, outside of combat it's not really like either. There's a calendar system like Persona and a small hub where you can do stuff to waste time until the end of each month when the main story mission happens.

Personally, it was my GOTY last year and among my favorite games in the series if not favorite. Just... try not to get too invested in the fanbase if you do get it and end up liking it. The characters are very morally gray and people have written essays on who was right and whatnot. I've gotten death threats over my opinion on the story in this dumb game, lol.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
While I'm not a fan of the character myself, Shadow was such an obvious choice for an echo and I feel like the Sonic series definitely deserves a second rep at this point.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I say IMO Eggman.

3rd party villain. Arguably among the most recognizable alongside Bowser and Sephiroth.

Not to mention another mech user like:ultbowserjr:and Porky if he made the cut.

7NATOR

Smash Master
As much as that would absolutely rock.

I say no. Assist Trophies are final.
Yes, Sakurai “might” change his mind and promote one. But as it hasn’t happened before (in the same game) there’s more weight behind the probability that it won’t happen. (Same goes for Waluigi and all ATs).

So if anything, I think Tails has a bigger chance. Or Dr.Eggman.
Well since you brought up Tails and Eggman who are both Spirits, I will say this

I don't buy the idea that an Assist can't be playable but a Spirit can. I feel that if one can become playable, the other can too. if anything an Assist would be more likely because Sakurai and the Dev's actually put in effort to give the Assists 3D Models, Animations, Attacks, Special Abilities, etc, while all Spirits got were PNG's

By this logic Characters that couldn't even return as Assists like Saki, Ray Mklll, Magnus, etc are more likely to be playable than more Popular characters like Shovel Knight, Zero, Shadow, Isaac, etc who are Assists

Now granted, I see a very likely chance Assists won't be DLC. I still Predicting Shadow but considering 99.5% of my Predictions turn out to be false, I'm 100% prepared for me to be wrong on this one, but eh

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well since you brought up Tails and Eggman who are both Spirits, I will say this

I don't buy the idea that an Assist can't be playable but a Spirit can. I feel that if one can become playable, the other can too. if anything an Assist would be more likely because Sakurai and the Dev's actually put in effort to give the Assists 3D Models, Animations, Attacks, Special Abilities, etc, while all Spirits got were PNG's

By this logic Characters that couldn't even return as Assists like Saki, Ray Mklll, Magnus, etc are more likely to be playable than more Popular characters like Shovel Knight, Zero, Shadow, Isaac, etc who are Assists

Now granted, I see a very likely chance Assists won't be DLC. I still Predicting Shadow but considering 99.5% of my Predictions turn out to be false, I'm 100% prepared for me to be wrong on this one, but eh

I do think Spirits won’t hold back characters for this pass (not sure on spirit events), but ATs were worked on and given a more active role. They’re not mere png paper-thin barriers.

... they could turn AT Shadow into android shadow or mephiles... but again, if replacing an at with a recolor or swapped models hasn’t happened until now, there’s a chance they won’t start now.

But hey, if they do get promoted. That’d be awesome. Lots of terrible wastes in the AT Armageddon that would have made excell ent characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Gimme a Jim Carrey alt as promotion for the new movie and I'm sold.
Did someone say Prrrromotion? If we're doing non-canon alts the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog look would be funny to see in the game if not just for the hilarity of it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I want another Sonic character, but I don't have a preference between Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow. All four are pretty iconic, and I think any of them would fit nicely alongside Sonic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I see people talk about how much time fighters take to develop but we don't really talk about stages, do we?

Even if a character is done, they need to hold off the pack until the stage is done. This can be hard, we know Ydggrasil's Altar was very hard to make from scratch and Byleth's stage still has some rough looking models.

I can see the next reveal being later than ideal because stage (along with whatever mechanics FP6 might have) took a long time to develop. Just some food for thought.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want another Sonic character, but I don't have a preference between Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Shadow. All four are pretty iconic, and I think any of them would fit nicely alongside Sonic.
I would love ANY 2nd Sonic character at this point. Say I even included AT's.

1) Metal Sonic
2) Knuckles
3) Tails
4) Shadow
5) Amy
6) Chaotix / Vector
7) Mighty+Ray
8) Fang
9) Eggman (I... like Sonic for the speed. I realise Eggman is like the 2nd most important character in the series, but I really want another speedster. It wouldn't upset me if he got in, that would be really cool, but I doubt I'd use him too much, unless he pulled a Gamma, and entered "Drive Mode" to go fast).
10) Blaze

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Now the question is, what characters would fit the criteria of "would use Bayo as a base" if this turns out to be legit

I mean...cmon it's obvious XD

Second Sonic rep would be tough at this point. Knuckles and Shadow became AT, Tails and Silver are background characters. Unless Tails show up outta nowhere, I can see either him or Blaze the Cat becoming the second rep

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'd love another Sonic rep (or two or three :p). Surprising that it hasn't gotten another.
Knuckles has always been my most wanted (#1 character since Smash Ballot) but aside from him Mighty would be really nice too. Mighty could be a easy to make clone/echo of Sonic that would be his heavy counterpart.
Tails, Silver, Eggman, Shadow, Amy, Espeo, Vector, and Blaze would be cool too.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly I'd be very unimpressed with new fighters from franchises already in the game. I'm not a huge fan of most new additions but if they're a new franchises they at least add more dimensions to the game. Seems like a poor way to go about "adding more gaming worlds" too. But if they end up doing that then I just end up saving money by not buying them.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly I'd be very unimpressed with new fighters from franchises already in the game. I'm not a huge fan of most new additions but if they're a new franchises they at least add more dimensions to the game. Seems like a poor way to go about "adding more gaming worlds" too. But if they end up doing that then I just end up saving money by not buying them.
Depends on what franchise we're talking about, because I'm not gonna sacrifice getting a character I genuinely want from a franchise already in the game just so a niche and/or obscure franchise that I have no connection with can add its name to the crossover.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It really depends on which new franchise and which characters from already represented franchises we are talking about. For example I would generally like new franchises to be added as an ideal, but there are some series I don’t really care about. On the other hand, yes sometimes a character from an already repped series may seem like a poor idea at first for expanding the crossover, but there are so many characters from already repped series that genuinely feel like they are missing from the game and honestly would excite me just as much as a character from a new series, if not more so depending on the series. I just find it best to take each character on a case by case basis instead of painting entire categories of potential characters with one broad stroke just based on whether they are from an existing franchise or not.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Here's something to talk about: Think of a character that you never expected, but has become one of your favorite additions to the roster?

For me, there are quite a few. Obviously Snake is a big one, but Greninja, Robin, Cloud, and Joker stand out as well. They were all picks that I really jive with in terms of the way they play, and in terms of Cloud, Joker, and Snake...it made me play their own games and I appreciated them even more.

Pokemon Trainer is another that, while I didn't appreciate them as I should have when they initially came in Brawl, I'm so, so glad they're back for Ultimate. Insanely fun!
Back in Smash4, when I followed the goings on of the franchise and would have had expectations, I never thought the Mii fighters would be added as its such a random (but understandable) pick. Since then, and particularly in this game, MiiSwordfighter has easily become one of my top 3 favorite fighters to play and the wealth of customization options is a nice bonus. Still want that Knight armor back from 4 though...

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
There's definitely franchises already in that have characters I would love to see, or was happy to see; Ridley and K. Rool were great additions. What I mean is assuming I don't care for the character themselves, then I at least appreciate a new franchise more than an existing one. That's like my tie-breaker on whether I enjoy a character addition or not. I enjoyed Joker's addition more than Byleth's despite not caring for new era Persona or new era FE much, because Joker stands out more. But if they added, say, Lyn instead I'd be over the god damn moon.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
As much as that would absolutely rock.

I say no. Assist Trophies are final.
Yes, Sakurai “might” change his mind and promote one. But as it hasn’t happened before (in the same game) there’s more weight behind the probability that it won’t happen. (Same goes for Waluigi and all ATs).

So if anything, I think Tails has a bigger chance. Or Dr.Eggman.
Sakurai rarely plays Sonic games, and the ones he played were Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. So don't hold your breath for Sakurai being motivated to include any more Sonic content after looking at his history with the series.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
There are very few games (and hence franchises) that I play so you could say I rarely care for the characters that make it as DLC.
However, what matters to me mostly is the movesets themselves and sometimes the themes that the character carries. In that sense, I'm quite happy with the first round of DLC fighters as I think most of them offer unique and fun movesets. I will say though.. Banjo-Kazooie kinda sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the characters… :lol:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai rarely plays Sonic games, and the ones he played were Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog. So don't hold your breath for Sakurai being motivated to include any more Sonic content after looking at his history with the series.
Sure, jan.

Even though Sonic has a lot of games, I decided to base the core of Sonic on the ones I played. Of course I played the older titles, but I also completed the newest installment at the time—Sonic the Hedgehog for the Playstation 3. Naturally, I also played Sonic the Fighters, Shadow the Hedgehog and other supplementary games to the series.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/07/24/sonic-the-hedgehog-joins-the-battle/

It's Sakurai. He's probably played all of them. Even the MEAN BEAN MACHINE

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Sakurai played so many, I wish he'd give Sonic more special moves than turning into a ball, lol.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well in any case, I think it’s SEGA who should approach Nintendo. And Sakurai comes up the moveset.

But SEGA is being smart about it, and promoting characters from other branches.

Like, I wouldn’t be surprised if they chose Football Manager, or someone from their Total War series.
Best we can hope from SEGA would be a character from Yakuza or Arle. Maybe Selvaria from the Valkyria Chronicles if we’re really lucky. I really doubt they’d lend another Sonic character to be in then spotlight.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Second Sonic rep? I think Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, and Eggman are the four I would like to see. Probably leaning more Shadow and Tails, honestly.

For something a little different? How about Classic Sonic and Tails? Echo of Sonic with Tails carrying Classic Sonic as the recovery move. Ice Climbers style? Just an idea for something a bit different(and it isn't like SEGA doesn't like the Classic Sonic showing up). Would prefer Shadow or solo Tails, but I always thought the Ice Climbers' style would fit with them.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I decided to make a very not well researched analysis determining the biggest character omissions in the general audience's view. Here are the biggest omissions by series/category from what I've seen (with some dumb side commentary):

Mario/Yoshi/Wario: Geno, Toad, and Waluigi
These three have always had support from Brawl and onwards.

Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
She's seen as the last missing Nintendo all-star by many, not that I agree but whatever.

Zelda: Literally anyone
There's not really a consensus as to who should be added, but Zelda has a varied cast much like Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, so it should not be a problem at all. "But the cast isn't consistent, and somehow Pokemon and Fire Emblem's apparent reason for getting so many characters doesn't apply to Zelda for some contradictory reason," OK, strawman.

Pokemon: A fully-evolved grass starter
The fanbase will advocate for every grass starter until one is finally added. Expect Torterra support threads when Diamond and Pearl are remade.

Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
I'm pretty sure Bandana Dee was viewed in the same camp as Inkling and Ridley as an inevitable first party character before Ultimate.

Star Fox: Krystal
She peaked in Brawl, demand for her in 4 died out. I guess it was a big enough peak to get her added in Ultimate as an assist trophy.

Fire Emblem: Lyn
Claiming that anyone else is the big Fire Emblem omission would just be wrong.

Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
I genuinely thought he was getting added as an echo after Isabelle's trailer.

Xenoblade: Rex and/or Pyra
In (hopefully) a few months it might be harder to tell, but at the moment Rex and/or Pyra are still the most wanted Xenoblade characters.

Contemporary (at the time) First Party Character (Metroid, Pikmin, Wii Fit, Splatoon, F-Zero, Mother, Punch Out?): Spring Man
He's kind of dead in the water now but by the next game he's going to get traction back as the contemporary pick.

Retro Character (G&W, ROB, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Kid Icarus, Punch Out?): Takamaru
He's kind of dead in the water now but by the next game he's going to get traction back as the retro pick.

Sega: A Sonic character
I don't think the general fanbase really gives a **** about any other Sega series. Puyo Puyo and Yakuza are somewhat wanted while "give us more Sonic" is a common sentiment.

Konami: Bomberman
Many tears were shed when his assist trophy was unveiled.

Street Fighter: Chun Li
She's the type of character I think many view as a necessity at this point.

Capcom: Phoenix Wright
This one was the hardest I was able to pinpoint. Phoenix was a popular pick before Ultimate opened the doors to other Capcom series like Devil May Cry, and even then he's maintained support and I believe is more demanded than Amaterasu and Dante.

Namco: A Namco character
I'm surprised KOS-MOS gained as much traction as she did before FP5.

Random Third Party Character: Crash Bandicoot
Crash is a very common pick in prediction lists and that's been the case since Smash 4 DLC speculation.

Other absent characters that don't really fit with any of the above: An indie, dead Nintendo series characters, Sora
An indie rep has been demanded since 4. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven aren't active enough to be contemporary but aren't old enough to be retro either so I'll just stick them here. I don't know what's the deal with Sora.

I couldn't decide on a character for Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK. Considering that a lot of these characters are already in the game in some form, it's no wonder third party demands are the craziest they've ever been.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Just... try not to get too invested in the fanbase if you do get it and end up liking it.
This is the best advice when it comes to literally anything and everything. Fanbases can (and have) straight up ruined some otherwise pretty incredible things. Pay them no mind and like what you like.

recordagger

Smash Cadet
I decided to make a very not well researched analysis determining the biggest character omissions in the general audience's view. Here are the biggest omissions by series/category from what I've seen (with some dumb side commentary):

Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
She's seen as the last missing Nintendo all-star by many, not that I agree but whatever.

There's not really a consensus as to who should be added, but Zelda has a varied cast much like Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, so it should not be a problem at all. "But the cast isn't consistent, and somehow Pokemon and Fire Emblem's apparent reason for getting so many characters doesn't apply to Zelda for some contradictory reason," OK, strawman.

Pokemon: A fully-evolved grass starter
The fanbase will advocate for every grass starter until one is finally added. Expect Torterra support threads when Diamond and Pearl are remade.

Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
I'm pretty sure Bandana Dee was viewed in the same camp as Inkling and Ridley as an inevitable first party character before Ultimate.

Star Fox: Krystal
She peaked in Brawl, demand for her in 4 died out. I guess it was a big enough peak to get her added in Ultimate as an assist trophy.

Fire Emblem: Lyn
Claiming that anyone else is the big Fire Emblem omission would just be wrong.

Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
I genuinely thought he was getting added as an echo after Isabelle's trailer.

Xenoblade: Rex and/or Pyra
In (hopefully) a few months it might be harder to tell, but at the moment Rex and/or Pyra are still the most wanted Xenoblade characters.

Contemporary (at the time) First Party Character (Metroid, Pikmin, Wii Fit, Splatoon, F-Zero, Mother, Punch Out?): Spring Man
He's kind of dead in the water now but by the next game he's going to get traction back as the contemporary pick.

Retro Character (G&W, ROB, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Kid Icarus, Punch Out?): Takamaru
He's kind of dead in the water now but by the next game he's going to get traction back as the retro pick.

Sega: A Sonic character
I don't think the general fanbase really gives a **** about any other Sega series. Puyo Puyo and Yakuza are somewhat wanted while "give us more Sonic" is a common sentiment.

Konami: Bomberman
Many tears were shed when his assist trophy was unveiled.

Street Fighter: Chun Li
She's the type of character I think many view as a necessity at this point.

This one was the hardest I was able to pinpoint. Phoenix was a popular pick before Ultimate opened the doors to other Capcom series like Devil May Cry, and even then he's maintained support and I believe is more demanded than Amaterasu and Dante.

Namco: A Namco character
I'm surprised KOS-MOS gained as much traction as she did before FP5.

Random Third Party Character: Crash Bandicoot
Crash is a very common pick in prediction lists and that's been the case since Smash 4 DLC speculation.

Other absent characters that don't really fit with any of the above: An indie, dead Nintendo series characters, Sora
An indie rep has been demanded since 4. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, and Rhythm Heaven aren't active enough to be contemporary but aren't old enough to be retro either so I'll just stick them here. I don't know what's the deal with Sora.

I couldn't decide on a character for Square Enix, Microsoft, and SNK. Considering that a lot of these characters are already in the game in some form, it's no wonder third party demands are the craziest they've ever been.
Funky Kong!

cosmicB

Smash Ace
This is the best advice when it comes to literally anything and everything. Fanbases can (and have) straight up ruined some otherwise pretty incredible things. Pay them no mind and like what you like.
I've been part of the Fire Emblem fanbase for over a decade now. It's never been THIS bad. It's definitely bigger now, but it's not THAT much bigger compared to Fates, at least not yet.

Of course Three Houses has probably the most controversial character in the entire franchise, so it makes sense how toxic it's gotten. Even with the multiple paths in Fates, there was some degree of consensus there even if people ended up being split on characters like Takumi. With Three Houses, people will literally judge you based on your stances on the political turmoil in a dumb medieval fantasy game.

At least the memes are good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been part of the Fire Emblem fanbase for over a decade now. It's never been THIS bad. It's definitely bigger now, but it's not THAT much bigger compared to Fates, at least not yet.

Of course Three Houses has probably the most controversial character in the entire franchise, so it makes sense how toxic it's gotten. Even with the multiple paths in Fates, there was some degree of consensus there even if people ended up being split on characters like Takumi. With Three Houses, people will literally judge you based on your stances on the political turmoil in a dumb medieval fantasy game.

At least the memes are good.
This feels like an exaggeration as FE fans were literally divided between classic and modern fans when 3H managed to make them unite in their love for the franchise

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
This feels like an exaggeration as FE fans were literally divided between classic and modern fans when 3H managed to make them unite in their love for the franchise
Awakening Master Race.
Would gladly pay $60 for a Switch remake of that game.

Last edited:

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I see people talk about how much time fighters take to develop but we don't really talk about stages, do we?

Even if a character is done, they need to hold off the pack until the stage is done. This can be hard, we know Ydggrasil's Altar was very hard to make from scratch and Byleth's stage still has some rough looking models.

I can see the next reveal being later than ideal because stage (along with whatever mechanics FP6 might have) took a long time to develop. Just some food for thought.
They could just reveal the next character without showing gameplay yet similar to Mewtwo and Joker.

osby

Smash Obsessed
They could just reveal the next character without showing gameplay yet similar to Mewtwo and Joker.
They can, but Joker was an exception more than anything (we know that his trailer was rushed for VGA) in this pass. Sakurai seems to like giving at least a peek of the final product.

The fact that he warned us for a long wait makes me think we won't be getting a trailer without any gameplay.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So I’m interested in buying Three Houses. I despised fire emblem fates and I loved awakening. Which is it more like?

I don’t mean this as a troll or negative comment but I’m not a fan of weeb stuff, is it more on the side of being weebish or nah?
In terms of gameplay, Awakening and Fates are way closer to each other than to Three Houses. The only big common ground Three Houses has with these games is being presented a choice in the beginning who to side with (Dimitri, Edelgard or Claude) and that decides the main Lord of your route.

I think in terms of overall gameplay, its closest to Radiant Dawn. But with its unique selling points as the whole teaching mechanic, walking around Garegg Mach Monastery, doing all sorts of quests and side missions.. each route is easily worth 50 hours of gameplay, and you're highly encouraged to do multiple playthroughs. In fact, you're mad if you don't do at least the 4 main routes, and there's a DLC route coming, which may or may not be different in any sort of route you initially choose. The story perspective also drastically changes, and there's lots of emotional heartbreak, for a Nintendo game.

Also there's lots of customisation possible in terms of what sort of weapons your character will use and the like. However, a magic unit obviously won't be all too good with physical weapons and vise versa. There's a definite "recommended" class for everyone, but the game helps you a lot with this. And there's characters who are good in whatever class you dump them mostly.

If you ever loved a Fire Emblem game, you'll love Three Houses. It's just an amazing game overall.

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Alright, under the assumption that FP2 has no Capcom characters, this is what my dream Capcom Fighter Pass would be.

1: Dante (Devil May Cry)
2: Arthur (Ghosts N Goblins)
3: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
4: Nemesis (Resident Evil)
And to cap (heh) it off with a pipe dream.
5: Asura (Asura's Wrath)
A Capcom Pass would be amazing.

1. Chun Li (Street Fighter)
2. Arthur (Ghosts & Goblins)
3. Firebrand (Gargoyle's Quest)
4. Mike Haggar (Final Fight)
5. Jill Valentine/Nemesis (Resident Evil)
6. Dante (Devil May Cry)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
According to certain users this is actually not the case for Geno. I don't quite know myself though.

Well Pokémon are pretty much eternal, but you're right, both The Legend of Zelda's supporting cast and Fire Emblem's entire casts are thrown out completely outside of sequels and spin-offs. Considering we'll never see Midna or Robin or Girahim or Ike again in a mainline title despite these characters having resonated with people I think they should be treated a bit more equally.

That's not to say Dante isn't requested though. I'd throw him up there as well.

Also there's like two other people that support Amaterasu and we're all like "It'd be amazing! Not gonna happen though.".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom