• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm thinking they're going to wait till E3 to announce the character not because they'll be working on them for that long, but because I think they're taking a small break. Has it been confirmed that they're developing FP6 as we speak?
There's no reason to assume an entire dev team is taking a break. This is their jobs. They finish one project and move on to the next.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A fanbase that still plays a nineteen year old game religiously is not going to mass evacuate over the span of a few months.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There's no reason to assume an entire dev team is taking a break. This is their jobs. They finish one project and move on to the next.
Not if they have to resign/renegotiate contracts, restructure for a new project, and rework the logistics of everything.

It's not like they just went straight into Pass 2 when their initial contract was just for Pass 1.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Now that's something I severely doubt. That'd mean that Nintendo has gone about half a year without any major news blow-out, and I really can't see that. Especially not since all previous years had something of the sort in January/February.
It's not impossible if we are just considering reveals.
Michael does bring up a good point in that regard.
Still forgetting the gap between:ultjoker:and:ulthero:/:ultbanjokazooie:eh?
Joker was revealed in early December at TGA while Hero and Banjo & Kazooie were shown off at E3 in early June.
That's roughly a six month gap between reveals not counting Piranha Plant and Joker being in February and April respectively.
Byleth was revealed in mid-January so we have five more months before E3.
I think that Fighter 6 will be revealed in March and released in April..
If we take the deadline for Fighters' Pass 2 as a guide, I doubt we are going to get two characters that close together.
I would expect more time between reveals on this go around; a three month gap seems to be too short to me.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not if they have to resign/renegotiate contracts, restructure for a new project, and rework the logistics of everything.

It's not like they just went straight into Pass 2 when their initial contract was just for Pass 1.
And you think they waited until Byleth's release to do that? Instead of doing that before even announcing it way back in September?

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Now that's something I severely doubt. That'd mean that Nintendo has gone about half a year without any major news blow-out, and I really can't see that. Especially not since all previous years had something of the sort in January/February.
Or maybe, just maybe...hear me out on this one guys:

Nintendo has more to reveal and release than just Smash.

Crazy, I know, but I think it's possible.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And you think they waited until Byleth's release to do that? Instead of doing that before even announcing it way back in September?
Ah yes, let me renegotiate contracts in the middle of a project, thus compromising productivity and putting the project at risk of not finishing on time.

You don't negotiate for another contract when you're in the middle of working on one.
...Other games than Smash exist?

*AOL Dial-up noises*
I know it's crazy but I think it's possible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm calling tease in mid to late February, proper reveal and subsequent release late March-early April.

Renmazuo

Smash Cadet
Also wasn't the Byleth presentation recorded in November? I'd assume whatever break they had is probably over by now.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Also wasn't the Byleth presentation recorded in November? I'd assume whatever break they had is probably over by now.
The video was recorded in November, but up until release they had refining, quality testing, balancing, and bug fixing to do. Their work wasn't over after that.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
As I said in my last post, not that many people outside of the hardcore Smash fandom get as worked up and downright impatient as we do.

Maaaaaybe play some Smash while you wait? Play other games? Read a book? Come up with fun games and discussions for the thread? I dunno, just seems to me y'all ain't even having fun speculating right now, as this thread's been super cranky ever since Byleth got announced.

D

Deleted member

Wait you're telling me Nintendo is more than "just the company that has Smash"? Impossible.

Absolutely impossible the sheer notion of that claim is ridiculous and quite frankly absurd.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Sakurai really did say something along the lines of "we're still preparing things, so please be patient," in a Tweet he posted in January, then I'd take that as either them starting on the groundwork for the first character, or them still making preparations before starting development.

It's up to interpretation, but if we're waiting until late 2021 before getting the final fighter, I wouldn't hold my breath for a February/March reveal.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

. . .Where are you even getting anything about Smash from what I said? I was just talking about general Nintendo Directs.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
As I said in my last post, not that many people outside of the hardcore Smash fandom get as worked up and downright impatient as we do.

Maaaaaybe play some Smash while you wait? Play other games? Read a book? Come up with fun games and discussions for the thread? I dunno, just seems to me y'all ain't even having fun speculating right now, as this thread's been super cranky ever since Byleth got announced.
I'm currently reading through the entirety of the One Piece-Manga and bought Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid just a few hours ago on the eshop.
Besides real life-stuff i think i have enough to do, to hold me over to the next Smash-Reveal (seriously, go play that Power Rangers-Game, it's insanely fun.)

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Ah yes, let me renegotiate contracts in the middle of a project, thus compromising productivity and putting the project at risk of not finishing on time.

You don't negotiate for another contract when you're in the middle of working on one.
I've done it and the September reveal said it was now in Development, not Soon entering development or Now on the way. They were already at least starting in September. I guarantee you that whatever contract negotiations they needed were done as needed so that there wouldn't be any dead periods. That is how you work efficiently. Not wait until the whole project was done then get everyone back. As the work goes down the pipeline contracts would be renewed or whatever, this would keep the ones at the beginning of development actually working rather than twiddling their thumbs.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah, I ain't putting too much stock into any of these rumors. 2D Metroid, Paper Mario being good again, Pikmin ports, AND Mario Kart 9? Might as well throw Mother 3 on there, that's all this needs to be your average 4chan Direct "leak".

Next Direct is most likely gonna make people mad, as these rumors combined with the wait since September for a General Direct is making people waaaaaay overhype this. Smash news ain't even a given either, IMO.
Honestly when you think about it I don't think those rumors are that crazy:
-Metroid 5 was basically teased in Samus returns and Mercury Steam have done nothing since this game in 2017 (3 years gap)
-Paper Mario is pretty much a given that it will come to Switch at some point. The fact that it's back to it's roots might seems impossible, but with the death of Alpha dream and the future of the Mario & Luigi sub-series being very unknown I could see Paper Mario being back to a more traditional rpg
-Pikmin port is pretty much expected by everyone
-Mario kart 9 is very the most crazy thing but to be fair it's also the thing that leaker seems to be less sure about. Also with the fact that MK8DX didn't have dlc I could see MK9 being in the work.

Also it was never stated that all these things would be in the same direct: you could announce Paper mario and Pikmin port in February or March direct and Metroid and MK9 at e3.

The point the point of my post isn't to say "leaker are right these are all confirmed 100% sure", just want to say that it's not that impossible. It's still best to keep expectations low.

q0001

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4997-3907-2086
I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd be able to die completely satisfied if Sol Badguy from the Guilty Gear series were to ever be announced for Smash.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd be able to die completely satisfied if Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear were to be announced for Smash.
I would be all for it. I tried out Guilty Gear Xrd 2 once and immediately loved it. Plan to invest in Strive when it comes out.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd be able to die completely satisfied if Sol Badguy from the Guilty Gear series were to ever be announced for Smash.
Not to say Sol is my most wanted having never touched a Guilty Gear game but he’d be pretty cool from a design perspective. I saw a fan moveset for Sol and it seemed pretty cool and unique with the airdashing and tension gauge.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I think if Mythra's Spirit redesign is anything to go by, they do take issue with boob windows too. Mai was difficult because she pretty much ticks all the boxes, and intentionally so, so it wasn't a simple redesign. I think they'd at least have to patch Velvet's outfit up a bit, which I personally don't think would be a big deal, but I know some people are super touchy about that kind of stuff.
I know this topic has already kind of passed regarding things like “good boys and girls” and Morrigan, but I just wanted to point out some of the spirits in the game. Honestly it’s a little strange to me that they censored Mythra when you can literally see the pink-haired girl’s ass and Aisya’s boob. It’s really inconsistent. I know these aren’t 3D models but it still makes you wonder.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Considering that Arc System Works just got a Spirit event I really wouldn't be surprised if he got in.

q0001

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4997-3907-2086
I would be all for it. I tried out Guilty Gear Xrd 2 once and immediately loved it. Plan to invest in Strive when it comes out.
It's a great series, I've been playing it since I was a kid. I've just been considering who'd be among the most logical choices for a 3rd party newcomer, and it just makes perfect sense to me. Ky Kiske too, while they're at it! Matter of fact, imagine Sephiroth as a boss character in SSBU! Nvm, I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Not to say Sol is my most wanted having never touched a Guilty Gear game but he’d be pretty cool from a design perspective. I saw a fan moveset for Sol and it seemed pretty cool and unique with the airdashing and tension gauge.
Oh dude, you're missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoba8ZhDl6s

Not the best game in the series, but not a bad place to start.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I would prefer Ragna the Bloodedge getting into Smash, but I'll be cool with Sol.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Overall a nice pass, but Phoenix is still sorta Lame, IMO, when capcom could also offer characters like Dante, Monster Hunter, Morrigan, Amaterasu, M. Bison, Chun-Li, etc.

Agumon is cool and all, but Greymon or Wargreymon would probably be cooler.
I was thinking Agumon could have a gimmick where he digivolves into Greymon then Wargreymon as he takes damage.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
Finally. Image uploader is working. Anyway this is my dream pass. What do you all think? Would you be happy with this pass?

View attachment 260654
I've changed my mind a lot about Agumon recently and think I'd rather have somebody a little more interesting. I think he'd be a bit lacklustre in the moveset in comparison to other possibilities.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Here's something to talk about: Think of a character that you never expected, but has become one of your favorite additions to the roster?

For me, there are quite a few. Obviously Snake is a big one, but Greninja, Robin, Cloud, and Joker stand out as well. They were all picks that I really jive with in terms of the way they play, and in terms of Cloud, Joker, and Snake...it made me play their own games and I appreciated them even more.

Pokemon Trainer is another that, while I didn't appreciate them as I should have when they initially came in Brawl, I'm so, so glad they're back for Ultimate. Insanely fun!
Duck Hunt is probably the single biggest instance of this I can think of. I absolutely could not fathom the idea of Duck Hunt being in the game when ESRB dropped in 2014, and had never really thought about it... but once I played them? They instantly became one of my favorite characters in Smash. Their moveset just gels with me so well and I love playing them.

As for Ultimate, Incineroar and Terry both deserve medals for just being incredibly fun to play when I went in expecting very little from both of those fighters.

I know it's crazy but I think it's possible.
This seems like an unusually definitive take on things when we know next to nothing about how the development team is structured and has operated on a larger scale. Like, it's not entirely unreasonable for people to talk about extending contracts or setting up things for the future in the middle of another project. Especially if for something like the Smash team it's likely drawing up the paperwork to extend contracts as opposed to full blown renegotiating everything. I've seen plenty of people be offered extensions to previously agreed upon contracts for work or for like teaching opportunities. Like, yes, it's absolutely work and effort to do so, but it's in the name of developing an efficient production pipeline that keeps the project going in those instances. Sakurai is the kind of person who can walk and chew gum at the same time if we've seen everything over the past several years. I mean, they had DLC planned before Ultimate was released and had been in negotiations prior to DLC being locked down in November 2018, so I don't see why the idea of a smooth transition sounds so unreasonable?

You could absolutely be right and they didn't start doing more until much later on in the Fighter's Pass, but I don't think we can just dismiss the idea of that smooth transition out right. It all depends on how things have been handled internally and if the pace of work has slowed down compared to the earlier portions of Ultimate DLC (this is likely the case I'll admit, but they were also working on 4 characters and modes at the beginning, so slowing down from that is still probably a fairly productive work cycle).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Sakurai really did say something along the lines of "we're still preparing things, so please be patient," in a Tweet he posted in January, then I'd take that as either them starting on the groundwork for the first character, or them still making preparations before starting development.

It's up to interpretation, but if we're waiting until late 2021 before getting the final fighter, I wouldn't hold my breath for a February/March reveal.
Maybe news on DLC will have to wait because they plan to reveal 2 fighters at E3 for some reason, instead of announcing the first one in the next direct and the second one at E3. As someone said, they technically said that more DLC was in development in the september direct, and I'm sure that before that announcement they already were working, even if it was only concepts, in Fighter Pass 2.

You're people of culture. Nice.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
tfw you’re actually patient for a direct like mostly everyone else but people assume you’re thirsty and impatient and trash just because of speculation.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I honestly don't give a **** about the next Smash character right now since Byleth is exactly what I wanted and I'm addicted to playing him.

I just want a direct so I can see more of Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>when someone tells me to be patient for my nihilistic JRPG series with penis demons

ive done my waiting.jpg

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
At least Byleth’s reveal has toned down my expectations a LOT now. So I think I can go for a few months without Fighter #6 news.
I thought it would be the other way around, but I’m off the hype train for now I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom