• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You guys think Xander Mobus as any ideas who the DLC is? I know he’s recorded a ton of random names that way he couldn’t know who was getting in the game, but I'm curious if he has an idea haha. Just imagine having that knowledge lol

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With the Pass being extended to 2021 for 6 newcoming, best to say that one character will be revealed at each Nintendo direct and possible events

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Direct was recorded in November right? I think 3 months is a good timeframe for having some work done on at least DLC 6.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
With the Pass being extended to 2021 for 6 newcoming, best to say that one character will be revealed at each Nintendo direct and possible events
and I predict E3 will reveal that one character, while a 2nd will be revealed in either September or October

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Be nice but honestly I'm really not holding my breath tbh...
Yeah we will probably get out first reveal at E3 and have it drip fed to us from there. Needs to last a long time and even if it doesn’t end exactly in December they would still prefer to maintain it

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, I wonder if we can predict which other first party titles might get fighters in FP2 based on the sales numbers (taken from reddit):

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 22.96 million

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 17.68 million

Super Mario Odyssey: 16.59 million

Breath Of The Wild: 16.34 million

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 16.06 million

Pokémon Let’s Go: 11.76 million

Splatoon 2: 9.81 million

Super Mario Party 2: 9.12 million

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: 5.85 million

Luigi’s Mansion 3: 5.37 million

Super Mario Maker 2: 5.04 million

Links Awakening: 4.19 million

Fire Emblem Three Houses: 2.58 million

(I'm sure we can't, but I think it's an interesting conversation). I'd be really interested to see some more Luigi's Mansion representation. E Gadd could be a really weird/fun character, now that I think about it.
Some interesting numbers here.

-For Pokemon, SwSh has sped past BW and is about 0.2M from surpassing both SM and RS, all within two month's time. To put this into perspective, it took XY over two years to surpass BW and reach the 16M mark, and that was with Go giving it a huge boost in 2015 as it was hovering in the 13M range before then. -By contrast, Let's Go is about 0.24M from surpassing FRLG and is still a ways off from surpassing either HGSS or ORAS.
-Luigi's Mansion is about 0.17M from surpassing Dark Moon as the best selling game of its sub series, witb less then 3 months under its belt.
-Super Mario Maker 2 is now the best selling game of its subseries, surpassing the original by over a million.
-Three Houses is about 0.4M from surpassing Fates as the best selling game of its franchise, if you include the unique DLC mechanic. Without it, it looks to be the best selling game in the franchise.

So yeah, the Switch is really moving games.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I wonder if we can predict which other first party titles might get fighters in FP2 based on the sales numbers (taken from reddit):

(I'm sure we can't, but I think it's an interesting conversation). I'd be really interested to see some more Luigi's Mansion representation. E Gadd could be a really weird/fun character, now that I think about it.
Only one I can imagine getting a character from that batch is Pokemon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So amigos, both deluxe Mii costumes have been Gunner.
Do you think we'll get any for Brawler and/or Swordfighter?
If so, what characters do you see getting Sans and Cuphead esque Mii Costumes?
My votes are:
Brawler: Shantae and Frisk
Swordfighter: Steve and Shovel Knight
It would be nice if we weren't just limited to indie characters.

Now that he's probably not playable, Kunio would make a perfect Brawler. And even though I really want them playable, I can admit that Bill Rizer would make a good Gunner.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
For those that are wondering about the Spirits talk of either deconfirming or not, here is a twitter post that shows this information of possible evidence of spirits not being deconfirmed for fighter status.

I’m not really sure if this can be used as valid evidence for either direction because all this really shows is that spirit names can be changed. It doesn’t support anything further than that really, as it seems to have been done only to sort out confusion relating to the new Three Houses spirits. Based on what information we currently have relating to the timing of the Three Houses spirits and the continuation of spirit boards with each character, I’m inclined to believe that spirits do deconfirm, but again we have no concrete evidence in any direction.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I’m not really sure if this can be used as valid evidence for either direction because all this really shows is that spirit names can be changed. It doesn’t support anything further than that really, as it seems to have been done only to sort out confusion relating to the new Three Houses spirits. Based on what information we currently have relating to the timing of the Three Houses spirits and the continuation of spirit boards with each character, I’m inclined to believe that spirits do deconfirm, but again we have no concrete evidence in any direction.
Maybe for post spirits via DLC, events and with DLC characters arrival. I still think that the base spirits might still have a shot.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Nintendo has a fairly large reason to not attempt to sell AT as DLC characters: customer perception that they are purchasing content that is already in the game
That is the first time I see an argument that makes sense against an AT promotion. However, let me weaken it a bit. Toward the general public, it makes sense to not promote an AT, but the players that will stick to Smash and those who buy the DLC further the line, the customers, are not the general public, they are the most fervent players. And those may not have that perception issue.

Isaac seems cool too but I need to play the Golden Sun games to know if I want him or not.
Every person who did and reported their opinion on the Golden Sun reddit had rave reviews. If you are into JRPG, you will like it.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Are we still on this E3 reveal thing? Okay, say they are revealed at E3--when will they be released? Two weeks later? July? That's 6 months of development time. I have doubts that FP6 will take that long to make. And if they did finish them pre-E3 and didn't do a shadowdrop at E3, that'd be kind of lame lol.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for post spirits via DLC, events and with DLC characters arrival. I still think that the base spirits might still have a shot.
May I ask why? I don’t understand why some spirits would have priority when others wouldn’t.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Are we still on this E3 reveal thing? Okay, say they are revealed at E3--when will they be released? Two weeks later? July? That's 6 months of development time. I have doubts that FP6 will take that long to make. And if they did finish them pre-E3 and didn't do a shadowdrop at E3, that'd be kind of lame lol.
9 months, actually. Is it Sakurai's baby?

Kalaam

Smash Ace
About the golden sun rumours someone asked a few pages ago:
There is still a new trademark that was issued and made active since november 2019.
And I insist on the new trademark. It is not a renewal (we did have a renewal of the third Golden Sun game's trademark last week tho', but it just shows that the november one is a new one).

So if Nintendo decides to bring back Golden Sun, and to properly advertise it this time, Smash would be a perfect place for that.
As for so much content in base, why would that be an issue? For base game the focus was on veterans, not newcomers. There is a bunch more characters that can be made into spirits for a DLC. And the 2nd pass was decided well after release, after Nintendo noticed that people actually want Golden Sun back. That does play a part. So we will see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A little part of me thinks he could be aiming for Tobal 2's crown of 200 characters. Not likely tho
eh, maybe half that number tbh. or even 1 more after that for a total of 101 would be more fitting if Wonder Red was fighter no. 101.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If the character is revealed and released that late, it'll likely be because they started work on FP6 late due to the second season not being greenlit in time for them to just continue work on characters at the same steady pace that they've done throughout the first Fighters Pass, so for all we know the character might not be that far in development. I do find that a bit unlikely considering we've known about the second Fighters Pass since September though, and you can bet ya that it had been greenlit some time before that, but if we force on the pessimist glasses, then it's a possible explanation.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I really don't know why people are predicting a long wait for E3 until we get even so much as a glimpse at Fighter 6. Unless something went down behind the scenes that forced the developers to scrap a bunch of work and start over a la Metroid Prime 4, there's no good reason to make us wait that long for just the first character of Fighters Pass 2.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If the character is revealed and released that late, it'll likely be because they started work on FP6 late due to the second season not being greenlit in time for them to just continue work on characters at the same steady pace that they've done throughout the first Fighters Pass, so for all we know the character might not be that far in development. I do find that a bit unlikely considering we've known about the second Fighters Pass since September though, and you can bet ya that it had been greenlit some time before that, but if we force on the pessimist glasses, then it's a possible explanation.
Just me personally, but I'm not gonna force on the pessimist glasses if they don't make sense to me. If I'm wrong, whoopdee-doo.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
I always keep seeing people say that Disney would be super stingy about letting any character they own into Smash, but I don't necessarily think that's true. I mean, they seemed to have no problem putting Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. They clearly aren't too against characters they own getting into crossovers.

This doesn't mean that I think Sora is likely for a DLC fighter or anything; I just don't think that Disney is the impenetrable roadblock preventing him from getting it that people seem to think they are. I'd still personally prefer Geno as the Square Enix rep for the second DLC wave, but Sora would be awesome as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really don't know why people are predicting a long wait for E3 until we get even so much as a glimpse at Fighter 6. Unless something went down behind the scenes that forced the developers to scrap a bunch of work and start over a la Metroid Prime 4, there's no good reason to make us wait that long for just the first character of Fighters Pass 2.
If we don't get anything in the next Nintendo Direct, I would actually expect us to get nothing until E3. People assumed Fighter #2 would be revealed in Joker's trailer, but instead they held off Hero and Banjo until E3.

Seems like they would rather reveal a character and shadowdrop/release shortly after E3 rather than reveal the character a month or two early.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I always keep seeing people say that Disney would be super stingy about letting any character they own into Smash, but I don't necessarily think that's true. I mean, they seemed to have no problem putting Wreck-It-Ralph in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. They clearly aren't too against characters they own getting into crossovers.

This doesn't mean that I think Sora is likely for a DLC fighter or anything; I just don't think that Disney is the impenetrable roadblock preventing him from getting it that people seem to think they are. I'd still personally prefer Geno as the Square Enix rep for the second DLC wave, but Sora would be awesome as well.
We don't really know what sort of behind-the-scenes stuff were involved in that sort of cameo. It could have been tied into Sonic and Eggman being included in the movie; my guess is that something similar happened with Bowser being in the movie, since the Wreck-It Ralph tie-in games only came out on Nintendo consoles.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It doesn’t really make sense from a marketing perspective to wait that long to reveal the next character. The Pass is already available to purchase, they need to start marketing it soon. The best way to do that is with a character reveal.

I’ll say that we get 3 reveals this year & 3 next year.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's 6 months of development time.
Which is a realistic estimate, judging by when the placeholder Ike data that eventually got turned into Corrin was added to 4.

Anyway, I'd assume they started development on CP6 in September. The division of the Smash team that worked on Joker moved on to Terry, followed by the group that worked on Hero starting development on Byleth, so where does that leave the remaining third that worked on Banjo, assuming they didn't downsize?

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
We don't really know what sort of behind-the-scenes stuff were involved in that sort of cameo. It could have been tied into Sonic and Eggman being included in the movie; my guess is that something similar happened with Bowser being in the movie, since the Wreck-It Ralph tie-in games only came out on Nintendo consoles.
That's true, we really don't know what the circumstances were for that. If nothing else though, it shows that Disney is willing to play ball with crossovers if the right negotiations are made.

SKX31

Smash Master
Some interesting numbers here.

-For Pokemon, SwSh has sped past BW and is about 0.2M from surpassing both SM and RS, all within two month's time. To put this into perspective, it took XY over two years to surpass BW and reach the 16M mark, and that was with Go giving it a huge boost in 2015 as it was hovering in the 13M range before then. -By contrast, Let's Go is about 0.24M from surpassing FRLG and is still a ways off from surpassing either HGSS or ORAS.
-Luigi's Mansion is about 0.17M from surpassing Dark Moon as the best selling game of its sub series, witb less then 3 months under its belt.
-Super Mario Maker 2 is now the best selling game of its subseries, surpassing the original by over a million.
-Three Houses is about 0.4M from surpassing Fates as the best selling game of its franchise, if you include the unique DLC mechanic. Without it, it looks to be the best selling game in the franchise.

So yeah, the Switch is really moving games.
The numbers are from their recent earnings release and data release. Here it is, with additional docs here.

Some additional data points worth noting:

- Apparently the Switch averages roughly 6 games per Switch, so yeah, it's really moving games.
- Ring Fit's at 2 Million and Astral Chain's surpassed the million mark - it's on par with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.
- There's a major increase in digital sales, aided by NSO. So that's going to continue.
- The Switch (+ Lite) sold a little over 10 million last quarter (2.42 Million in JP, 4.22 in the Americas*, 3.02 in EU and 1.15 in other regions).
- 96 % of Nintendo's income is through the Switch currently.

They'll have a briefing about this tomorrow.

The problem with Sora is, would Disney allow Nintendo to put Goofy, Donald or Mickey as cameos ? (Or Spirits).
It'd likely be really tricky - Mickey and Donald are mentioned in Brawl's Chronicles menu (since Nintendo produced a couple G&W games with them - Nintendo owns those games fully); but it's likely much more difficult when they're being depicted. Whether as Spirits, cameos or NPCs (like assists to Sora's Final Smash). Still, I'd hesitate to call it outright impossible when Tsum Tsum Festival exists. [Kinda grasping at straws, I know.]

If it proves impossible Sora will probably only have the characters that debuted in KH along with him (Riku, Kairi, Xenahort etc.).

*(As Nintendo calls it)

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I dunno I just suspect Dante is the more popular Capcom pick despite Phoenix's closer history to Nintendo. I just also assume given said history and popularity he'd at least make it as an Mii costume.
That is not what the polls made before the launch of the game are saying.

Sora without Disney characters seems...weird to me ( someone who doesn’t play KH)
And yet, every players of the serie are saying that wouldn't be an issue. I assure you that Sora does not need Disney content to exist.

There is one good reason : a dual reveal of the first character and a tied game. If the game has to be shown at E3 instead of a direct for some reason, it can happen.

The problem with Sora is, would Disney allow Nintendo to put Goofy, Donald or Mickey as cameos ? (Or Spirits).
How could it be a problem? I mean, how could their absence be a problem?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They don't need to use them.

Besides Sora, there are:
2 Rikus
3 Kairis
13 organization members
3 Wayfinder friends
5 Xehanorts
1 Samurai master
1 Extremely angry suit of armor
1 Edgy Sora
5 Fortunetellers
1 Super Secret Mastermind character
1 Not Noctis

So all in all that's more than enough to fill out a spiritboard if not 2 or 3.

D

Deleted member

How about this:

Choose a character and explain why you want them.

One of my top favorite most wanted is Phoenix Wright. I love the Ace Attorney games and they are some of my most favorite games. Having a lawyer in the game fighting all these different characters would be hilarious. And I love the music. Cornered and all the pursuit themes are fantastic and the games have some of my most favorite soundtracks. Plus we could use a visual novel rep.

Bonus question: What are some obscure characters you want?

Crypto - I love Destroy All Humans and his moveset would be amazing.
Vectorman - Another rep from the Genesis era. I love his games, though he is far from my top shooter rep.
Earthworm Jim - Simply put, he would be a groovy character.
now that you mentioned it
The one I want the most is master chief and I think I should tell y’all why I’ve suddenly moved on to him

I was netural in halo on the most. But then I gotten Xbox game pass for Christmas from my parents and halo mcc & 5 were 2 of those games on there so I decided to give them a try and

I was amazed

the story the characters the music everything about it was great
I look a bit more into halo after that and noticed how big it is like being Xbox’s mascot kids Enjoy the series too how big of an impact it made in the gaming industry etc and by looking into in I’m makes me think chief in smash would be a very big deal for Nintendo & Microsoft If he were to get in he would nuke the internet and can promote the switch ver of MCC

also when I get home I was gonna try doing a move set for his special moves I’m sure he’ll have a fun one
Like his assault rifle. When he fires it it could fire like the mii gunners smash attack to make it stay kid friendly.

idk why he needs Nintendo history when he’s mostly from a major rival console company. Is that even a rule still just to prevent that character from happening?

either way that’s why I want master chief to join and why I think he could likely be the 2nd ms rep.:bee:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The question is likely less "Would Disney allow" and more "Would Sakurai even want" given that those aren't video game characters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. It would lead to a massive six month dead period that could cause players to drop the game entirely, thus lowering the sales of Fighter Pass 2.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

out of curiosity... how much did the Octo Expansion DLC for Splatoon 2 sell...?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
It's even longer than that really. Byleth was done by the time we saw him so maybe as long as 7 or 8 months. Hard for me to see them just sitting on that character forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom