• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I expect we'll get a Nintendo fan favorite character in one of the six slots of FP2, just like how Banjo was part of FP1. The question is who will this character be?

I'm gonna go with my boy Waluigi for this one. If you want a character whose inclusion would generate hype and get people talking then look no further. If your deconfirmation results in articles written by mainstream media outlets then I consider that pretty big.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I expect we'll get a Nintendo fan favorite character in one of the six slots of FP2, just like how Banjo was part of FP1. The question is who will this character be?

I'm gonna go with my boy Waluigi for this one. If you want a character whose inclusion would generate hype and get people talking then look no further. If your deconfirmation results in articles written by mainstream media outlets then I consider that pretty big.
I'm expecting Geno; that was my first thought when more fighters beyond the Fighters Pass were announced.

I figure that a lot of them are either going to be characters that they couldn't get permission to use in the Fighters Pass (I can't imagine Square-Enix prioritizing a one-off Mario character that they happen to own over their two flagship franchises, but now that both are in, they might be more willing to include Geno due to his popularity in the Smash fandom), characters who were unexpectedly popular picks among the fandom, or characters whose circumstances have changed wildly between the announcement of the first Fighters Pass and now. (ex. Dante. Please give us Dante)

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Well, I wonder if we can predict which other first party titles might get fighters in FP2 based on the sales numbers (taken from reddit):

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 22.96 million

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 17.68 million

Super Mario Odyssey: 16.59 million

Breath Of The Wild: 16.34 million

Pokémon Sword/Shield: 16.06 million

Pokémon Let’s Go: 11.76 million

Splatoon 2: 9.81 million

Super Mario Party 2: 9.12 million

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: 5.85 million

Luigi’s Mansion 3: 5.37 million

Super Mario Maker 2: 5.04 million

Links Awakening: 4.19 million

Fire Emblem Three Houses: 2.58 million

(I'm sure we can't, but I think it's an interesting conversation). I'd be really interested to see some more Luigi's Mansion representation. E Gadd could be a really weird/fun character, now that I think about it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One character in the pass may be picked to advertise a newer game.

A Style Savvy for Switch game has been rumored for over a year and was shifted from 3DS to be on a system where it would see more success.

There's only one Style Savvy spirit in the game.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm expecting Geno; that was my first thought when more fighters beyond the Fighters Pass were announced.
The only way I see Geno not being playable is if Square Enix decides to be ridiculously uncooperative about the whole thing and insist that he be nothing more than a Mii Fighter costume or Spirit, essentially being willing to throw away a higher share of DLC money (which, other than giving Nintendo and Sakurai the go-ahead, would require no effort on their part) to ensure that he stays unplayable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think it comes down to either Geno or Sora. They're probably the currently most requested fighter now that we have:ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool:and:ultridley:

Waluigi though probably comes pretty close to them. In fact I'd say they're the current Holy Trinity.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I mean sure, Nintendo could upgrade popular characters who are ATs or Spirits.

Or they could continue what they’re doing, and adding popular characters (not just in the Smash fanbase) that have no presence in Smash already.

Popularity doesn’t really support NPCs, it supports basically at any addition to Smash.
I would much rather they do both instead of focusing on one.

There's quite a few NPCs I think are worth revisiting honestly.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I get why completely new characters are being added, and I expect to certainly see more of that going forward... but Sakurai and the team likely know at this point that there's Assist Trophies, Spirits, and Mii Fighter costumes that players want to see become fully fleshed out playable characters (they have to know, the support for characters like Isaac, Waluigi, Bandan Waddle Dee, Rex, Shadow and Shantae is not something that can just be ignored, and in the specific case of Geno, it was actually acknowledged by Sakurai himself), and we're now past the point where the developers had an opportunity to look back at the base game and decide whether or not to give at least one or two of those character the bump up to playable status. It certainly helps that Fighters Pass 2 has six characters instead of five, meaning there's more leeway for a "promotion to playable" character to happen even if the Pass is mostly brand new characters.
Plus, the demographics they're focusing on are a lot more diverse than what "realistic" pass predictions tend to list. These "realistic" predictions tend to focus solely on what's hot in the US/EU, with a side of Arle and Muh Grass Quota, despite that not being the case with FP1.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
With six new characters on the leeway, I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one heavily recommended character in the pack. I fully expect there to be smaller or lesser names in the Pack but I feel like we'd get at least one heavily requested character in.

Doubt we'd get more than one but who knows. I could see it be a mix of Big and small names too. It depends on the route Sakurai goes.

I don't expect it to be nothing BUT big and requested names since that'd be overkill.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With six new characters on the leeway, I'd be shocked if there isn't at least one heavily recommended character in the pack. I fully expect there to be smaller or lesser names in the Pack but I feel like we'd get at least one heavily requested character in.

Doubt we'd get more than one but who knows. I could see it be a mix of Big and small names too. It depends on the route Sakurai goes.

I don't expect it to be nothing BUT big and requested names since that'd be overkill.
As others said we should expect at least one fan favorite included given:ultbanjokazooie:

I expect it'll be Geno/Sora.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
As others said we should expect at least one fan favorite included given:ultbanjokazooie:

I expect it'll be Geno/Sora.
If I had to choose between one of those two, I'd pick Sora because of a more personal attachment towards Kingdom Hearts than Super Mario RPG.

I don't expect him to get in since Disney is so overprotective of their characters and Sakurai, even moreso than Square will have to go to them. I also don't entirely trust Disney all that well. Or Disney could see characters like Snake and Bayonetta on the roster and go "Nope".

I want to be proven wrong. The last DLC cycle had me be proven wrong before and I want to see Disney cooperate on Sora without being greedy or scummy about it.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Nintendo has a fairly large reason to not attempt to sell AT as DLC characters: customer perception that they are purchasing content that is already in the game.

I know most everyone on this site wouldn't care at all that they are buying Waluigi even though he is already an assist trophy, but this is an extremely niche portion of the millions of people that own Smash. I know many "casual" fans whose biggest wants are characters like Master Chief or Spongebob. They don't want the DLC to be another version of a character in the game. It would be like adding another Lucina but this time she gets a fresh moveset. It'd technically be a new playable character, but people would throw a ***** fit because it's not completely new to Smash.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If I had to choose between one of those two, I'd pick Sora because of a more personal attachment towards Kingdom Hearts than Super Mario RPG.

I don't expect him to get in since Disney is so overprotective of their characters and Sakurai, even moreso than Square will have to go to them. I also don't entirely trust Disney all that well. Or Disney could see characters like Snake and Bayonetta on the roster and go "Nope".

I want to be proven wrong. The last DLC cycle had me be proven wrong before and I want to see Disney cooperate on Sora without being greedy or scummy about it.
Disney has stated they're okay with Sora's inclusion though.

https://www.inverse.com/article/53044-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-leaks-sora-kingdom-hearts-rumors

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I can impossibly 'expect' any character. The only character I was very confident in was King K. Rool. Aside from that, my expectations are pretty much always wrong. Usually that's a good thing.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
customer perception that they are purchasing content that is already in the game.
If they really cared about that they wouldn't allow Mii costumes of characters that already show up in some form.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I agree, which is why I said whining and not "expressing disappointment"
As long as we don’t harass anyone than it’s valid to send complaints. But really, do you think adding more Fire Emblem characters is solve anything? rofl

Last edited by a moderator:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If they really cared about that they wouldn't allow Mii costumes of characters that already show up in some form.
A reminder that Knuckles, Zero, and Akira are all Assist Trophies in the base game, yet their Mii Fighter costumes have come back through DLC... and that's just the Assist Trophy characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My realistic predictions.

Crash Bandicoot
Dante
Heihachi
Ring Fit Adventurer
Sora
Ryu Hayabusa

Reasons: Crash being an icon of gaming, huge history back in the 90s being Sony's original mascot with an three way rivalry with Mario and Sonic.

Capcom's popularity, history of crossovers and variety of IPs as much as Nintendo. I find it hard to not see Capcom get another character and Dante seems to be the most popular and likely. I would love for Phoenix Wright but feeling he's probably going to get the Mii costume treatment at this point. In the case of Amaterasu she's apparently not as popular as those two as much as I'd like to see her too but at least Wright has much better chances.

Its suspicious that Heihachi's Mii costume didn't come with Terry plus Lloyd's chances I feel has lowered given that so called icon trademark wasn't any indication to being related to Smash and being his logo.
The last pass had a Fan Favorite being included which was:ultbanjokazooie:so I suspect given Sora's heavy demand it'll be him. Geno as requested as he maybe isn't as big as those makes him out to be. https://www.inverse.com/article/53044-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-leaks-sora-kingdom-hearts-rumors

I suspect we'll get least see on 1st Party character especially used to be promoted. I think an Gen 8 Pokemon is ruled out given Spirit Boards they're getting. Same with Travis Touchdown as he's been deconfirmed and good chance his series might get a Spirit Board as well.

If IAmShifty is anything to go back he's got some valid sources having predicted:ultpiranha:and saying that Dracula and Marx would be bosses so we should suspect Ryu Hayabusa and given Smash's history of ending with anti-climatic reveals Hayabusa doesn't seem like someone many people would not be hyped for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah it's putting new FE characters from new games in. There was no Three Houses content in Smash ever before Byleth.
What does that have to do with anything? She thinks it’s a good idea that the rest of the DLC will be nothing but Fire Emblem characters do the community will stop whining. It’s gonna make things worst.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
What does that have to do with anything? She thinks it’s a good idea that the rest of the DLC will be nothing but Fire Emblem characters do the community will stop whining. It’s gonna make things worst.
If they are new characters, who cares? Should they not add Geno because the game already has enough Mario characters?

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Nintendo has a fairly large reason to not attempt to sell AT as DLC characters: customer perception that they are purchasing content that is already in the game.

I know most everyone on this site wouldn't care at all that they are buying Waluigi even though he is already an assist trophy, but this is an extremely niche portion of the millions of people that own Smash. I know many "casual" fans whose biggest wants are characters like Master Chief or Spongebob. They don't want the DLC to be another version of a character in the game. It would be like adding another Lucina but this time she gets a fresh moveset. It'd technically be a new playable character, but people would throw a ***** fit because it's not completely new to Smash.
TBH, that's a pretty good point. Making assist trophies into playable characters can potentially be seen as scummy since those characters are already featured in the base game.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How about this:

Choose a character and explain why you want them.

One of my top favorite most wanted is Phoenix Wright. I love the Ace Attorney games and they are some of my most favorite games. Having a lawyer in the game fighting all these different characters would be hilarious. And I love the music. Cornered and all the pursuit themes are fantastic and the games have some of my most favorite soundtracks. Plus we could use a visual novel rep.

Bonus question: What are some obscure characters you want?

Crypto - I love Destroy All Humans and his moveset would be amazing.
Vectorman - Another rep from the Genesis era. I love his games, though he is far from my top shooter rep.
Earthworm Jim - Simply put, he would be a groovy character.
My boi Steve. He’d be an excellent addition to Smash, representing not only one of the (if not the) biggest games of the past decade but also one of my top favorites (I’m pretty much a big Minecraft fanboy), with he himself being among my favorite characters (he may not have an official personality, but I’ve always seen him as the face of the game alongside the creeper (and Alex when she was added), and Mojang uses him and Alex as characters in different stuff, referring to them by name; Steve himself has crossed over with other games). He could also bring a very fun moveset that involves different items from Minecraft such as ender pearls and other stuff, placing blocks (in a balanced way), and potentially upgrading himself by crafting tools/armor. I like to imagine his side-smash being a strong, downwards swing with his pickaxe that can spike opponents off ledges :)

I also think he would look perfectly fine; he would certainly stand out, but he wouldn’t look anymore out-of-place than Mr. Game & Watch or even Mario surrounded by the FE characters (at least, I think that mod that overlays Link with Steve looks good, even when among other stages and characters. I realized I don’t really mind bendy limbs, though I would want Steve to be like Mojang’s official animations in trailers and the games and whatnot (just no Story Mode please), as it wouldn’t feel like Minecraft’s style otherwise).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Friendly reminder that Disney said they were ok with a new MVC and the next MVC would have Disney be ridiculously strict about **** to the point Capcom had no freedom with the Marvel characters and they weren't even allowed to show Marvel characters getting hit in trailers. Just because Disney said they'd be ok with Sora doesn't mean that makes them easy to work with

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
TBH, that's kind of a good point. Making assist trophies playable characters can potentially be seen as scummy since those characters are already featured in the base game.
I personally don't feel that way, but I know people who do. And I've seen that sentiment online in less Smash focused forums.

D

Deleted member

If they are new characters, who cares? Should they not add Geno because the game already has enough Mario characters?
To be fair, Mario is the flagship franchise. Zelda should have more reps than Fire Emblem. FE should have no more than 4 to 5 reps including Byleth.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
She thinks it’s a good idea that the rest of the DLC will be nothing but Fire Emblem characters do the community will stop whining. It’s gonna make things worst.
Yeah you might wanna re-read what she actually said

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
To be fair, Mario is the flagship franchise. Zelda should have more reps than Fire Emblem. FE should have no more than 4 to 5 reps including Byleth.
That's just an opinion. You can't say it's ok for me but not for thee.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Friendly reminder that Disney said they were ok with a new MVC and the next MVC would have Disney be ridiculously strict about **** to the point Capcom had no freedom with the Marvel characters and they weren't even allowed to show Marvel characters getting hit in trailers. Just because Disney said they'd be ok with Sora doesn't mean that makes them easy to work with
If that's the case then I see Geno probably being the next most likely "Fan Favorite". Sure not as big as made out to be but the demand is still pretty high for him and most likely character to get upgraded as an Spirit.

That or Waluigi. I think it really comes down to those 3 for the Fan Favorite for Season Pass 2.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I really doubt that would be the case. A character is a character, you think people won't flip their **** over Waluigi or Bomberman because they were technically in the game before?

"Oh ****, new Smash character! I wonder what new character could ha- oh, it's just Rayman? Lame, I was perfectly satisfied with a PNG of him. Hard pass."

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Plus, the demographics they're focusing on are a lot more diverse than what "realistic" pass predictions tend to list. These "realistic" predictions tend to focus solely on what's hot in the US/EU, with a side of Arle and Muh Grass Quota, despite that not being the case with FP1.
There’s still a good amount of chatter about characters that would please Japan though. I’m sure they’d all love Dante, 2B or Sora for example.

I think base game spirits have a pretty good shot now, I think there’s been enough time for Sakurai/Nintendo to see the demand for the likes of Rex or whoever else.

But I think ATs are staying as ATs. It seems like a very “Sakurai” decision to think that being AT is good enough for those characters. Especially since the most popular ATs have been wanted since atleast the Smash 4 days. I assume Shovel Knight is only an AT because of his popularity on the Smash Ballot.

Of course, there’s always the chance that I’m wrong. Sakurai can be unpredictable. But as of now, I’m saying that chance is slim. This coming from someone who’d love to see Waluigi, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid, Zero & Alucard in Smash. Isaac seems cool too but I need to play the Golden Sun games to know if I want him or not.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Capcom's popularity, history of crossovers and variety of IPs as much as Nintendo. I find it hard to not see Capcom get another character and Dante seems to be the most popular and likely. I would love for Phoenix Wright but feeling he's probably going to get the Mii costume treatment at this point.
... I honestly don't understand this. Why would Phoenix Wright just be a Mii Fighter costume?

Phoenix Wright as a character doesn't fit any of the Mii Fighter types. Most characters who are Brawler, Swordfighter, or Gunner at least make some sort of sense to be those types of costumes, but for Phoenix Wright, it wouldn't make sense for him to be any of those. He doesn't fight with hand-to-hand combat, he doesn't use a sword or a gun... Wright becoming a costume would feel very shoe-horned in.

Besides, if Dante is gonna be included, I'd sooner expect him to come with a couple Devil May Cry costumes, the returning Monster Hunter costumes, and even Sir Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins... unless with Dante they decide to go the "random grab bag" route like they did Banjo and Byleth, but I don't see why they'd do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom