• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then explain how you're looking at it because I don't see how it's nonsensical for Sakurai not to prioritize Rex at one point but prioritize him down the line when he has more slots to work with.
"I don't want it so it can't happen, even though more FE was something I didn't want and we still got Byleth."

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Let's be real, brother...

You and I both know that Nintendo, Atlus, Sakurai, and basically anyone with any amount of sway on whoever gets into Smash would rather have Bus Morgana be a character than acknowledge that SMT is a franchise that exists.

I mean come on, who does this:
View attachment 259682
I hope they either have some info for this game, or I dunno, put that Jack Frost dude in Smash in some fashion. Not too many Ice characters other than the Climbers anyway.

I saw that one Metroid-vania style game, I might check it out someday.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter anyways because I think that it is incredibly unlikely that we are getting a Sword & Shield Pokemon on the roster.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
No matter which way you look at it, it makes absolutely no sense to make a character a bonus for FP1 and then release the character afterwards.

I firmly believe this was done because there is no intention of making Rex playable, regardless of how much DLC there is. Same reason why I think Spirits deconfirm, but on a MUCH greater scale.
While I agree Rex looks unlikely, Sakurai didn’t originally intend to make Mewtwo and Lucas playable in Smash 4 as evidenced by the trophies.

As for spirits, I don’t see why they’re treated differently. Sakurai made a distinction for them from fighters because they’re new, have a bit of lore (lore which is broken by the fact that you can get multiple of each, you can get Mario in a tennis outfit, Sonic in his super form, and Pit from his past, and some spirits still have their physical body appearing in stages) and they’re like advanced stickers, but the character/videogame-representing intent is the same between them and trophies.

I’m not gonna make big arguments for Spirits anymore; mine always get ignored by everyone arguing the opposite, even though I’m not crying “fan rule!” and whatever the heck else and am actually pulling from things Sakurai has done or said before, so I’m losing the interest in discussing it, but I’ll say this and maybe more smaller-end comments.

As for Pokémon, we’re getting Calyrex as our new rep for it and Zelda.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Then explain how you're looking at it because I don't see how it's nonsensical for Sakurai not to prioritize Rex at one point but prioritize him down the line when he has more slots to work with.
Did you even take the time to read my response? I literally laid it out clear as day for you to see.

Rex is hard deconfirmed. There is no way they would’ve made his Mii Costume a bonus for FP1 if they had any plans on making him playable at all for future DLC. Thus, the “MAYBE THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS!!!!!!” excuse isn’t going to fly for this instance.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's hard to say what position Rex is in, even when you ignore the Spirits.

On one hand, he has a Mii Costume and several tracks from his game. On the other hand, there's no stage or remixes from XC2, so there's still plenty of content they could scrap together to bundle with Rex.

We'll just have to wait. There's a lot of pros and cons to consider.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Did you even take the time to read my response? I literally laid it out clear as day for you to see.

Rex is hard deconfirmed. There is no way they would’ve made his Mii Costume a bonus for FP1 if they had any plans on making him playable at all for future DLC. Thus, the “MAYBE THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS!!!!!!” excuse isn’t going to fly for this instance.
It works if the second Fighters Pass was decided later. Still, Rex (and Pyra and Mythra) has to deal with being old news at this point so while I don't think his chances are 0%, it's probably something like a .02% which is pretty negligible all things considered.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wonder, would a mess up by a game company be a indicator of a inbound direct?

Example:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I know it's EB Games so take with salt. Also a direct doesn't mean we're guaranteed Smash info.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
While I agree Rex looks unlikely, Sakurai didn’t originally intend to make Mewtwo and Lucas playable in Smash 4 as evidenced by the trophies.
False equivalency.

A DLC Mii Costume made as an incentive for buying a season pass is completely different from a base game trophy.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's hard to say what position Rex is in, even when you ignore the Spirits.

On one hand, he has a Mii Costume and several tracks from his game. On the other hand, there's no stage or remixes from XC2, so there's still plenty of content they could scrap together to bundle with Rex.

We'll just have to wait. There's a lot of pros and cons to consider.
And the FP2 costume makes me think they did listen, even if it's not playable Rex. It seems they wanted something less offensive, and when everyone talked about everything else in the Byleth Direct, they succeeded.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It doesn't matter anyways because I think that it is incredibly unlikely that we are getting a Sword & Shield Pokemon on the roster.
We know. You've said this multiple times.

Whenever we discuss SwSh, you drop in and make a one sentence statement that's usually something along the lines of, "I don't think we're getting SwSh Pokemon because Spirit Board." If the conversation continues, you say it again.

At least humor the possibility of it happening, because it kinda feels like you're trying to shut the conversation down.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Example:

I know it's EB Games so take with salt. Also a direct doesn't mean we're guaranteed Smash info.
No but Nintendo does want the 2nd pass to sell so having a preview of the next DLC character would be a smart marketing move.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
False equivalency.

A DLC Mii Costume made as an incentive for buying a season pass is completely different from a base game trophy.
You have a point, but it still came before Season 2 was planned. There’s still my spirits stuff that y’all continue to ignore.

And I don’t get why you’re always so hostile about this stuff, like you’re trying to drill it into our heads as if we’re crazy.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No but Nintendo does want the 2nd pass to sell so having a preview of the next DLC character would be a smart marketing move.
It was stated that it could take a while for the next reveal, so if there is a direct soon I don't the next character is going to be in it.

Byleth doesn't satisfy his need to look at the title screen and orgasm over another copyright being added.
I don't think that's why...

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Example:

If its real, then its more likely a few hours away from being revealed due to Evo Japan happening right now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I feel as though at this point, I’m the type of Smash fan who is difficult to disappoint.

I got Snake back, got big picks like Ridley and K.Rool, have been introduced to amazing games by the characters I didn’t ask for/expect, yadda yadda yadda.

At this point I think it’s more that my reactions will range simply from, “HOLY **** YES” to “Oh I didn’t expect that, I’m excited to try them out!”

There really aren’t any picks that would...disappoint.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
You have a point, but it still came before Season 2 was planned. There’s still my spirits stuff that y’all continue to ignore.

And I don’t get why you’re always so hostile about this stuff, like you’re trying to drill it into our heads as if we’re crazy.
I’ve said it before, but I really don’t care how I am perceived on this site.

If someone presents a baseless theory on why a hard deconfirmed character (Rex) is going to be playable soon, I am going to call it out as such, lol.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If BotW2 is on the table, I kinda hope the story involves something like this, because this would open the door to a lot of unique and fun characters. Basically, a second chance for a Champion character.

EMZMxRSU4AAAZjG.jpeg-1.jpg

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I feel as though at this point, I’m the type of Smash fan who is difficult to disappoint.

I got Snake back, got big picks like Ridley and K.Rool, have been introduced to amazing games by the characters I didn’t ask for/expect, yadda yadda yadda.

At this point I think it’s more that my reactions will range simply from, “HOLY **** YES” to “Oh I didn’t expect that, I’m excited to try them out!”

There really aren’t any picks that would...disappoint.
There are really only two disappointing picks left for me that have a shot at getting in, and even then, I wouldn't really be bothered. Mainly because it's just a video game, and also because I've already gotten so much out of this game: Inklings were my Smash 4 DLC era most wanted, Metroid getting two reps was amazing to me because Metroid is one of my all-time favorite series, K. Rool was always a great pick to me, Isabelle was a pick I never knew I wanted, Piranha Plant was hilarious and fulfilled a childhood want of seeing a Mario mook be playable, Joker was shocking pipe dream come true, Hero was another character I didn't know I wanted, and while I haven't played a Banjo & Kazooie game yet and wanted Steve more, I love 3D platformers and welcomed them with open arms.

And on top of all that, I got Byleth, who might very well be the only DLC newcomer to rival Joker in how much I love the addition. Terry was the only DLC character so far that I don't like, and that isn't really anything against his games or the character, I just don't really find fighting game characters interesting in Smash personally.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still have a hard time believing Metroid managed to double its number of characters, especially when you're familiar with the series and realize that almost every realistic character is now in Smash. The cast is so small.

If they added Sylux, you'd essentially have a full house.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Hopefully Rillaboom.

:ultcharizard::ultincineroar:
:ultsquirtle::ultgreninja:

Meanwhile we have Ivysaur only as an grass type. Plus Rillaboom fits as fun given he uses drums to fight something Sakurai would find unique as he had with Incineroar with his wrestling moves.
Not too crazy about Rillaboom, But wouldn't mind him seeing how they can probably use DK as a base for him , But I would much rather prefer Inteleon, They can probably use Greninja as a base, But make him more of a ranged fighter where as Greninja is more close combat oriented.

It’s really refreshing to hear someone say something positive about Inteleon I love that lizard spy and would love too see him in.
Right back at you, It's really nice to hear the same thing as well seeing how in the Banjo-Kazooie thread I got into a small arguement with a couple of other posters saying that he's the "Worst Pokemon Design Ever" even worser than Garbador if you can actually believe that.

Is he the best design ever ? No, But it's still a good solid design, I mean you gotta have really bad taste or be blind if you think he's that level of bad, If you don't like him fine, But the worst pokemon ever? Now your talking crazy

He's definitely the coolest of the 3 starters, I'll take "Secret Agent Spy" over Soccer Player or Drummer anyday and is pretty much looks to be this generations Sceptile or Greninja which I think what they were going for anyways and I'm willing to bet he will get the biggest push from the starters and hopefully a DLC roster spot.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
Alright so the Crash Bandicoot franchise has sold over 160 million dollars worldwide as of 2011 outselling the likes of Kirby (35.8 million), The Legend of Zelda (119.53 million according to here), Resident Evil (93 million according to here), Street Fighter (45 million according to here), Final Fantasy (144.4 million according to here) and Smash Bros itself (56.88 million according to here).

I would consider something like the Legend of Zelda an iconic franchise in the gaming industry so wouldn't that make Crash Bandicoot more of an Icon than say Link? What about it outselling the likes of Final Fantasy and Cloud? Kirby? Street Fighter/Ryu? Crash would be much more of an icon than all of them just talking sales wise.

There's a reason people call him iconic and that's quite frankly because he is with these sales numbers and how well the N'-Sane trilogy has done (10 million units according to Wikipedia) he's not a Cartoon Animal mascot he's the Cartoon Animal mascot. He's highly requested for a reason and he absolutely is iconic the term "iconic to gaming" within itself is subjective but if there's a few characters that would be objectively iconic to the gaming industry Crash would absolutely be one of those few up there with Sonic and Mario.

And that's that.
For the final time, I am not denying Crash’s popularity as a franchise. I’m saying as a character, Crash Bandicoot lacks a certain appeal to me. Also the other characters you listed either fill a different niche within the video game industry or have a legacy that follows them and boast their icon status.

You can throw sales at me all you like. It won’t change my mind, and that’s fine.

I’m glad you want Crash. I don’t. I think there are more interesting choices.

I’m sorry, but that’s just it. I don’t see the need for him.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
i got a few things i've noted about Spirits and DLC and such to share
not saying whether or not spirits can or will turn into playable characters, just relaying some things to consider

1: Piranha Plant doesn't have any spirit fights to its name, that's true. However, looking at all the spirits we've seen added to the game post launch, NONE of them use DLC characters unless they were already part of their personal spirit boards. <Joker's only present for Persona spirits, Luminary only has exactly one single spirit fight in the entire game, for Cetacea, etc>
Seems to me like they're explicitly avoiding making spirit fights against DLC characters so that players don't have to fight these battles against characters they might not own, on top of all the special rules spirit fights can utilize
this must also include Plant, or else they'd have held back a good number of spirits that either use a form of Piranha Plant or Petey, or are spirits that'd best suit Plant over any other character
<also i've been hearing that the game can't actually run offline if you haven't already bought and downloaded, which is why you're not allowed to save replays that feature DLC you don't own, even something as minor as a mii costume or DLC music like Megalovania>

2. On the topic of a Gen 8 Pokemon being DLC vs SWSH spirits already being in the game, if anyone else noticed, the Tockles spirit was released independently of Erdrick or his spirit board for playing DQ11 or its demo. Eventually however, around the time of the Banjo update, a patch retroactively added the Tockles onto his spirit board, so clearly adding spirits onto a DLC board after release is entirely possible, and i wouldn't be surprised if most if not all of the existing SWSH spirits get put into a Gen 8 rep's board

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I’ve said it before, but I really don’t care how I am perceived on this site.

If someone presents a baseless theory on why a hard deconfirmed character (Rex) is going to be playable soon, I am going to call it out as such, lol.
You jumping to the conclusion Rex is "hard deconfirmed" is, as always, stretching it big time. "Sakurai wouldn't have made him a Mii costume if he might've considered Rex for later DLC" is claiming to know his intentions and what he plans to do further down the line. Unless you have some kind of inside information from Sakurai himself there's absolutely no way you can know what he's up to. He's always been unpredictable and it's rather amusing to see you claim these things are hard facts.

While I am unsure of his chances myself, I don't think a scenario where Sakurai adds a character in the second wave of DLC that he wasn't able to add in the base roster or first season pass is all that implausable.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For the final time, I am not denying Crash’s popularity as a franchise. I’m saying as a character, Crash Bandicoot lacks a certain appeal to me. Also the other characters you listed either fill a different niche within the video game industry or have a legacy that follows them and boast their icon status.

You can throw sales at me all you like. It won’t change my mind, and that’s fine.

I’m glad you want Crash. I don’t. I think there are more interesting choices.

I’m sorry, but that’s just it. I don’t see the need for him.
To be fair, compared to other complex characters, I kind of see where you are appealing there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The most TPC did was push all three starters in Sakurai's direction. Beyond that, it wasn't anime-related for Greninja and Incineroar.

Greninja was the one among the three he saw that danced in his head. We see zero information related to the anime there.

Incineroar could've had a slight bit from the anime(seeing as we had concept art for that), but he has no idea of the role and chose him due to the Wrestler motif.

Do note he's literally said this.

Mewtwo was highly popular and considered as is before the second movie, but the movies do play a role. Lucario is the same case, being chosen due to the movie and based upon those abilities, not game abilities(though the move names stay the same, of course. But the aura was a movie thing).

Pichu arguably was chosen due to the movies as well, since it was the most promoted Gen II Pokemon that could be chosen for Melee. It wasn't just a clone factor alone, it was the only one that fit the clone factor and was "in the spotlight" of those options.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The most TPC did was push all three starters in Sakurai's direction. Beyond that, it wasn't anime-related for Greninja and Incineroar.

Greninja was the one among the three he saw that danced in his head. We see zero information related to the anime there.

Incineroar could've had a slight bit from the anime(seeing as we had concept art for that), but he has no idea of the role and chose him due to the Wrestler motif.

Do note he's literally said this.

Mewtwo was highly popular and considered as is before the second movie, but the movies do play a role. Lucario is the same case, being chosen due to the movie and based upon those abilities, not game abilities(though the move names stay the same, of course. But the aura was a movie thing).

Pichu arguably was chosen due to the movies as well, since it was the most promoted Gen II Pokemon that could be chosen for Melee. It wasn't just a clone factor alone, it was the only one that fit the clone factor and was "in the spotlight" of those options.
Maybe I'm crazy, and this was never actually said/never actually happened, but I could've sworn that I heard that Sakurai added in Greninja based solely on concept art.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe I'm crazy, and this was never actually said/never actually happened, but I could've sworn that I heard that Sakurai added in Greninja based solely on concept art.
More or less what I was saying.

We don't know if he cared about anime factors he could see with Incineroar's art. It's unmentioned, but we definitely see it existing. It's possible he did take that kind of stuff into account for the character design, though. Greninja was Sakurai's own thing(though how much TPC was involved during the character creation is unknown). Ash-Greninja appears to have not been something Sakurai knew about till Ultimate, though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Let's be real, brother...

You and I both know that Nintendo, Atlus, Sakurai, and basically anyone with any amount of sway on whoever gets into Smash would rather have Bus Morgana be a character than acknowledge that SMT is a franchise that exists.

I mean come on, who does this:
View attachment 259682
don’t worry...SMTV will come out...after Persona 6 and Smash Ultimate 2 of course. But for now, we bout to get the entire cast of Persona 5 made into fighters in Ultimate

D

Deleted member

Today’s sakurai pic of the day is...
[twitter post]
Evo Moment #37 everyone
Speaking of Evo, it looks like Sakurai is currently at Evo with that 2nd image. Though we probably aren't getting a reveal, I wonder if he's going to take the stage and talk about somethings after the tourney is over.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of Evo, it looks like Sakurai is currently at Evo with that 2nd image. Though we probably aren't getting a reveal, I wonder if he's going to take the stage and talk about somethings after the tourney is over.
That'd be neat. Maybe his love for one of the games there.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
See, it’s like I said, Rex is in a similar spot that Chrom was back in 4. I suppose he’ll get his chance another day... as in, the next game.

anyway stan Mecha-Fiora and Elma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom