• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
****, you know what I really want to see get a PreMiium Costume that likely will never get one?

Buck Bumble. With this song in particular. Buck Bumble is the perfect example of a character that will not get in Smash in any way whatsoever, but any way to get this song in the game makes up for every single flaw in Ultimate, Smash 4, Brawl, Melee, 64, and the history of the world leading up to this moment.

Okay but seriously the song is a banger but attached to a character that COULD be fun but has absolutely no business being in Smash.
Christ that would be amazing. I can see his trailer now: Banjo is walking around with a beehive in his hand, he stops to stretch, then he spot dodges a laser shot. Camera shifts to the Buck Bumble Mii Gunner costume, and the theme starts playing.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Are you saying that we shouldn't want a new Zelda character because they'd only stick around for one game?
I was about to say to look at my sig for an answer for that..but I forgot that I no longer have an Echo Fighter Wishlist there lol
Anyway, one of my biggest pipe dream wants is/was Princess Hilda, even as an Echo Fighter or even just a costume or even colour (seriously! Why the heck is Hilda not at least a colour for Zelda?!)
I'm just saying that adding a new Zelda character via one-offs will lead to another Fire Emblem issue of getting a lot of characters each game and increasing the likelihood of having them cut or, if we ever get another 'Everyone Is Here' situation ending up with another oversaturation of them.
I'm still shocked that at least Impa or Tingle were never added as playable characters considering that they are the other reoccuring characters, aside from Pig Ganon, to not be playable and Impa would be an easy Echo off of Sheik.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've never been good at getting my point across.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Wrapped up my vanity Fighters Pass. Think I'll make a realistic or predictions one soon because it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. Couldn't figure out the font so I picked something somewhat close.
Fight_Pass_2_Template.jpg

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm gonna hold off my Fighter's Pass Volume 2 until February 1st, as there's a very prominent leak saying that Crash is coming "immediately" after the first pass, and I don't want to create a pass that gets outdated that quickly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm gonna hold off my Fighter's Pass Volume 2 until February 1st, as there's a very prominent leak saying that Crash is coming "immediately" after the first pass, and I don't want to create a pass that gets outdated that quickly.
A twitter account which seems to be another case of "make a ****ton of predictions and delete all the wrong ones before spreading the account" isn't 'prominent'

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm buyin' the next Fighter's Pass the second I'm able to. FP1 was really ****in' good, I trust Sakurai to keep that train goin', and having all the characters in the game available to me is more important than anything else.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
6 more days until Byleth arrives. Can't wait to try them out.

IMG_20200121_121402.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm buyin' the next Fighter's Pass the second I'm able to. FP1 was really ****in' good, I trust Sakurai to keep that train goin', and having all the characters in the game available to me is more important than aything else.
I'm buying it because I'll be damned if I have an incomplete Smash Bros. game.
I'm a sheep for Nintendo.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm buyin' the next Fighter's Pass the second I'm able to. FP1 was really ****in' good, I trust Sakurai to keep that train goin', and having all the characters in the game available to me is more important than aything else.
Same here. Even if they're characters I don't really want too badly seeing new ones in the game just feels pretty satisfying to me. That includes the PreMiium costumes as well. The Cuphead one is going to get a ton of play from me and making his moveset, even though it's pretty limited, will still be fun

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
On one hand, I can see why people think SWSH might not get a DLC character because of the spirit event. On the other hand, none of the spirits were going to be playable fighters (let's be real about this), and we know SWSH has an extended life thanks to the two DLC packs. Perhaps Sakurai knew that a new Pokemon project is happening in 2020/2021 but didn't know it's details and decided to go with the spirit event for SWSH's release preemptively, who knows? It wouldn't be the first time that Sakurai reserved a special spot for a Pokemon character years in advance, a Pokemon slot was planned as far back as 2015 for Ultimate, Sun and Moon didn't even get announced back then.

Maybe the fighter could be from SWSH's DLC, or a Pokemon game coming out in 2021, either way disregarding Pokemon completely because of the spirit event seems like a mistake that confuses Pokemon with other franchises. If there is one franchise besides Fire Emblem that gets special treatment from Sakurai and Nintendo it's Pokemon, it ALWAYS gets a new fighter in Smash, Sakurai admitted this himself when he talked about Incineroar and the process of how a Pokemon slot is reserved years in advance. I wouldn't even be surprised if the reason the DLC is taking as long as December 2021 is because they're spacing it for the new Pokemon game to get close to release so they can release their promotional Shillmon as close to the game's release as possible.

This is coming from someone who dislikes the new gen so there is no bias from me, the only Pokemon from the new gen I kinda like and would welcome as a fighter is Toxtricity, other than that the rest of the gen 8 Pokemon don't interest me enough for Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
****, you know what I really want to see get a PreMiium Costume that likely will never get one?

Buck Bumble. With this song in particular. Buck Bumble is the perfect example of a character that will not get in Smash in any way whatsoever, but any way to get this song in the game makes up for every single flaw in Ultimate, Smash 4, Brawl, Melee, 64, and the history of the world leading up to this moment.

Okay but seriously the song is a banger but attached to a character that COULD be fun but has absolutely no business being in Smash.
Christ that would be amazing. I can see his trailer now: Banjo is walking around with a beehive in his hand, he stops to stretch, then he spot dodges a laser shot. Camera shifts to the Buck Bumble Mii Gunner costume, and the theme starts playing.
We need this.

what about now it’s time to rock with the bickity Buck Bumble.

what about now it’s time to rock with the bickity Buck Bumble.

bum to the boom to the bum to the bass. bum to the boom to the BUMBLE. bum to the boom to the bum to the bass. bum to the boom to the-

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
On one hand, I can see why people think SWSH might not get a DLC character because of the spirit event. On the other hand, none of the spirits were going to be playable fighters (let's be real about this), and we know SWSH has an extended life thanks to the two DLC packs. Perhaps Sakurai knew that a new Pokemon project is happening in 2020/2021 but didn't know it's details and decided to go with the spirit event for SWSH's release preemptively, who knows? It wouldn't be the first time that Sakurai reserved a special spot for a Pokemon character years in advance, a Pokemon slot was planned as far back as 2015 for Ultimate, Sun and Moon didn't even get announced back then.

Maybe the fighter could be from SWSH's DLC, or a Pokemon game coming out in 2021, either way disregarding Pokemon completely because of the spirit event seems like a mistake that confuses Pokemon with other franchises. If there is one franchise that always gets special treatment from Sakurai and Nintendo it's Pokemon, it ALWAYS gets a new fighter in Smash, Sakurai admitted this himself when he talked about Incineroar and the process of how a Pokemon slot is reserved years in advance. I wouldn't even be surprised if the reason the DLC is taking as long as December 2021 is because they're spacing it for the new Pokemon game to get close to release so they can release their promotional Shillmon as close to the game's release as possible.

This is coming from someone who dislikes the new gen so there is no bias from me, the only Pokemon from the new gen I kinda like and would welcome as a fighter is Toxtricity, other than that the rest of the gen 8 Pokemon don't interest me enough for Smash.
My opinion on Spirits is that they disconfirm a character IF they are added in after planning for DLC is finished.
So I believed that base-game spirits deconfirmed Fighter's Pass Volume 1 fighters. I was apparently right.
But when was Volume 2 planned out? If I had to guess, I'd say before the major spirit events like Sword/Shield and Resident Evil, so I believe that any Resident Evil, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, etc characters are out of the running.
However, I think that base game Spirits like Geno, Rayman, etc are back on the table.

I have nothing to support this but my own gut feeling, so don't take this very seriously.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Maybe the fighter could be from SWSH's DLC, or a Pokemon game coming out in 2021, either way disregarding Pokemon completely because of the spirit event seems like a mistake that confuses Pokemon with other franchises. If there is one franchise besides Fire Emblem that gets special treatment from Sakurai and Nintendo it's Pokemon, it ALWAYS gets a new fighter in Smash, Sakurai admitted this himself when he talked about Incineroar and the process of how a Pokemon slot is reserved years in advance. I wouldn't even be surprised if the reason the DLC is taking as long as December 2021 is because they're spacing it for the new Pokemon game to get close to release so they can release their promotional Shillmon as close to the game's release as possible.

I don't think people would call you biased to Pokemon when you use terms like 'shill pick' as most Smash fans I've seen have grown quite a bit of apathy to Pokemon, accepting it'll never slow down even if you want it to

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Same here. I don't want to spend the money on it yet considering I don't need the Mii Fighter costume bonus..but I'll be buying it sometime next month.
I absolutely loved every character added to the Fighter Pass, with Byleth & Joker as my favorites in it and two characters that were in my Top Wants for the game..considering Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses were my Game of the Year for the years they were released (well..Persona 5 tied with NieR Automata and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild..and Three Houses could have tied with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate depending on if you count December 2018 as part of 2018 or 2019..I count it as the former)

D

Deleted member

I'm just the one person here waiting for hype reveals and not throwing the centavo yet.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm just the one person here waiting for hype reveals and not throwing the centavo yet.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna wait until E3 or something, just to make sure I'm not paying for characters I don't want. Last time I waited until Banjo was announced to buy.

This time around, I think Master Chief and Sora could be instant buys. Or alternatively, if the first character is first party, I'm taking them as representative of the Pass and buying it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'll probably buy it the moment I'm able to.

Same rules apply as last time, I'll be guaranteed brand-new fighters and (probably) no Echoes, so worst-case scenario I have six new movesets to play with my family.

Still, would be nice to have a Zelda character. Or a non-Asian person of color.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'll probably buy it the moment I'm able to.

Same rules apply as last time, I'll be guaranteed brand-new fighters and (probably) no Echoes, so worst-case scenario I have six new movesets to play with my family.

Aha! How would you know that Kirby, King K. Rool, Incineroar, etc would be white!?

But in all seriousness, it is pretty disheartening that the only black characters are Ganondorf, Villager, and Inkling.

I guess one could rationalize it by saying that these are Japanese characters, and Japan is a damn near ethnostate.

Not to mention the big stink in the media when they found out that Mr. Sandman's (black guy from Punch-Out!!) Spirit is represented by Donkey Kong.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree..though the primary problem has to do with Smash Bros. being very Japanese character centric and there not being any person of colour main characters in their games..aside from being an option for customizable characters like Pokémon Trainers, Villagers, Inklings, Octolings, etc.
Best I could see is if they felt like adding Marina to the game or adding Octoling with their default skin being a darker shade (which would be pretty likely, honestly).
Not to mention the big stink in the media when they found out that Mr. Sandman's (black guy from Punch-Out!!) Spirit is represented by Donkey Kong.
Yeah, that's the worst accidental uh oh I've seen in a while. Like, I get it, Donkey Kong is a powerhouse with a wind up punch..but I guess Japan doesn't know about the racial connatations of comparing a black person to any sort of primate other than human..

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I agree that that's unfortunate, but I don't think the media made a stink about it.

Also while Donkey Kong subbing in for a black character is extremely iffy, I'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume they just wanted a character with a powerful punch, DK's Giant Punch being very strong in particular.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I agree that that's unfortunate, but I don't think the media made a stink about it.

Also while Donkey Kong subbing in for a black character is extremely iffy, I'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt and assume they just wanted a character with a powerful punch, DK's Giant Punch being very strong in particular.
That and it could be referencing DK's cameo in the Wii game.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Aha! How would you know that Kirby, King K. Rool, Incineroar, etc would be white!?

But in all seriousness, it is pretty disheartening that the only black characters are Ganondorf, Villager, and Inkling.

I guess one could rationalize it by saying that these are Japanese characters, and Japan is a damn near ethnostate.

Question is how many dark-skinned characters are in videogames that are also iconic enough to be known about.
The current chars that are thrown around are chars like Sora, Master Chief, Ryu Hayabusa, Dante, Travis, Arle. None of them is dark-skinned.

There's probably a lack of dark-skinned chars in general, especially in Nintendo games. For example, Pokémon started including dark-skinned characters in gen 5 with the 2nd gym leader and has included ever more since then but prior to that there was nothing.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
That and it could be referencing DK's cameo in the Wii game.
Maybe, but other characters used for Punch Out spirits include K. Rool and Ken, so it's not like other non Little Mac fighters used for Punch Out spirits are uncommon.

Also, saying DK is subbing in for both Mr. Sandman and DK's own cameo in Punch Out Wii is somewhat of a stretch. I do get what you mean though.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
So, I just had a thought.
I wonder how Byleth's Victory Theme will sound.
I mean, Marth, Roy, and Ike have the main Fire Emblem Victory Theme (based on the Fire Emblem theme), then Robin, Lucina, and Chrom have one for Awakening (based on 'id Purpose'), and Corrin has one for Fates based on 'Lost in Thoughts All Alone'.
So I suspect that Byleth will also get a new Victory Theme based on the theme of Three Houses 'The Edge of Dawn'.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Like FP1, I'm not buying into the second one at all, just in case a character I really don't care for gets in at any point, either at the beginning or end.

The way I see it. If Sakurai manages to get 5, or for FP6's case 6 characters that I am okay with or maybe even really like, that he deserves that extra 5 dollars. (or however much extra he'd get from FP6).

If there's a character that's lame to me then that;s money I don't have to spend.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Of course I'm gonna buy the pass, I'm a goddamn sheep.

Also, even if I explicitly wish a character I hate got in and I he/she was never included, I'm gonna wanna learn how to beat the snot out of them, won't I?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'll definitely be buying the Fighters Pass Volume 2, but probably only after I've seen who the first character is. Regardless I'll be buying the whole pass but even if it's someone I'm not a fan of (AKA Crash/Tracer) - See above - going to make them the training mode Lvl 1 CPU punching bag.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Unless the first character of the second pass turns out to be a character I really want, I'm not buying it for quite a while. I also didn't buy the first one until the announcement of Byleth, because I wanted at least one first party character that I care for on there.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Like FP1, I'm not buying into the second one at all, just in case a character I really don't care for gets in at any point, either at the beginning or end.

The way I see it. If Sakurai manages to get 5, or for FP6's case 6 characters that I am okay with or maybe even really like, that he deserves that extra 5 dollars. (or however much extra he'd get from FP6).

If there's a character that's lame to me then that;s money I don't have to spend.
I've thankfully never had that issue. Even if I absolutely hate a character, like, say, Bowser Jr when he was revealed or Steve if he gets in, I won't mind them existing on the roster and as options for people I play with to select if they choose to.

I also feel compelled to have a 'Complete' Character Select Screen for some reason..so that kinda plays into it..like it was the reason I bought Lucas for Wii U/3DS when I didn't care about him at all..I'm kinda just glad to have this discounted Pack as a selection from the get-go rather than at the end of it all since it overall saves me money since I spent the money per character (and on both systems with that discounted 2 game pack thing) last time around.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I don't think people would call you biased to Pokemon when you use terms like 'shill pick' as most Smash fans I've seen have grown quite a bit of apathy to Pokemon, accepting it'll never slow down even if you want it to
Pokemon speculation would be far more exciting if we didn't know that the choices are limited by TPC and a small selection is given to Sakurai to choose from. I guess the main reason I'm not that excited about a gen 8 rep is because I don't like SWSH and the choices made in it's development. But regardless of my thoughts on Pokemon I'm still keeping an eye on a Pokemon character, there's still a strong possibility we'll get another Pokemon, whether it's from SWSH or whatever they have planned in 2021 is something I'm unsure of.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pokemon speculation would be far more exciting if we didn't know that the choices are limited by TPC and a small selection is given to Sakurai to choose from
When Ageislash can be a DLC fighter in Pokken, I think it's more like Sakurai limiting himself.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I see the argument that it took Astral Chain so long to get spirits due to Sakurai considering and then scrapping the dumbest name for a protag I have ever ****ing seen. This makes me even more confident in Edelgard as if Sakurai believed Fire Emblem now had too many characters we'd have gotten that spirit board significantly earlier, while he had mixed feelings on Corrin back in Smash 4, Ultimate has a significantly larger roster with at least 81 characters, which could also change his stance on too many characters. "But Gwen!" You may be saying, "Fire Emblem bad!" To that I say, **** you I'm gay for Edelgard so that doesn't matter
Throwback Thursday to me being so close yet so far

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
When Ageislash can be a DLC fighter in Pokken, I think it's more like Sakurai limiting himself.
The fact of the matter is Pokken absolutely does not sell even remotely close to Smash nor is it as good a marketing tool. It is purely for the very small crossover of fans that love Pokemon, love fighting games, and can somewhat tolerate arena fighters. Ergo, they are allowed to add any number of completely bizarre and off-the-wall-characters like a chandalier, a sword, a magical girl, a clown frog WHO WAS ALREADY AN ASSIST, etc because the niche fanbase that's into Pokken more likely than not already super invested into the Pokemon franchise.

Meanwhile, we haven't had a pokemon that wasn't from the latest gen since Pokemon Trainer, and Red and the Kanto starter trio are one of the few pokemon that can justify themselves purely based on being iconic.

I'm going to say that it's safe to assume that TPC are shrewd businessmen who realize that a fun wacky character from their latest generation, currently pushed in not just games, but merchandise and anime, is a far better pick to put into the biggest gaming crossover in the world, than say, a red armored bug designed a decade and a half ago:
scizor swords dancd.jpg

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to SW/SH I feel like it’s more likely we’ll just get one of the starters as a character (if we do get anything at all). Of course the legendary’s and any new Pokémon in the upcoming DLC TPC wants to promote also have a chance, but I feel like the starters are the safer bet. I personally want Rillaboon, but that’s just me. I’d be lying if I said the spirits board it got makes me think we’re not getting anything (even if none of the final evo starters are there). I just wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t get any Pokémon in this season pass. I’m hoping I’m wrong though as I’d like to see a rep make it in.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Not only is it probably false but they said themselves that they never meant immediately as in its coming straight after pass 1 just a mistake on their end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom