• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only Gen 4 Pokemon I can see getting in are Gallade or one of the fully evolved Sinnoh starters.
Ooh Gallade would be cool too! They should do it, and then add Gardevoir as Zelda's Echo Fighter in the next game (preferably after a new The Legend of Zelda character reveals to the fans don't feel cheated).

EDIT: Gallade would have trash range though since it fights with its elbows. I wonder how they would compensate for that...

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What's this about Doomguy being out?
Me too, I'm wondering about that.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3G1IJp-2o

Honestly with the way this was said, it really sounds like the death blow for Doomguy and the Doom dev didn't leave any ambiguity. It wasn't even like Grant Kirkhope being cheeky about his NDA. It was a straight up "no, we haven't been approached at all".

Some will try to twist this I bet but honestly this pretty much seals the deal for Doomguy as far as i'm concerned.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Honestly with the way this was said, it really sounds like the death blow for Doomguy and the Doom dev didn't leave any ambiguity. It wasn't even like Grant Kirkhope being cheeky about his NDA. It was a straight up "no, we haven't been approached at all".

Some will try to twist this I bet but honestly this pretty much seals the deal for Doomguy as far as i'm concerned.
Yeah. Unless this interview is old they would have already done negotiations at the time and probably wouldn't be so open about it. But if all goes well between the two parties we may see Doom's Protagonist in the next game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

There's already people in the comments section of that video saying this doesn't mean anything.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If any generation were to get a second rep, it would be Gen 4. Pokemon from it still show regularly in marketing. And if we did get one, my money would be on Garchomp.

Darkrai would be interesting too though

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The only Gen 4 Pokemon I can see getting in are Gallade or one of the fully evolved Sinnoh starters.
Not even fully evolved, when Japan loves Piplup.

Also Garchomp might be a contender.
Game hasn't even been officially announced yet, and it probably won't until next year.

Just feels a bit premature. Reminds me of everyone who thought Eevee could get in as the next Pokemon when Ultimate began work as far back as 2015.
To be fair, Eevee was already being pushed as an alternative mascot by then.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah. Unless this interview is old they would have already done negotiations at the time and probably wouldn't be so open about it. But if all goes well between the two parties we may see Doom's Protagonist in the next game.
I mean I thought Doomguy would have been a badass choice if he were in but the evidence is right there. He's donezo for this game unless we get FP3.

CacoMallow is looking helluva fake right now.
There's already people in the comments section of that video saying this doesn't mean anything.
Prob don't understand the difference between the Kirkhope tweet and Doom's dev outright destroying any chance for Doomguy.

Or Confirmation Bias

Or both

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
When it comes to Pokemon reps, I follow one relatively simple rule:

IF IT'S NOT GARCHOMP, IT SUCKS.
garchomp.gif

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Aw, that sucks.

Thankfully he wasn't a huge want of mine but I still would've liked to have seen him make it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Aw, that sucks.

Thankfully he wasn't a huge want of mine but I still would've liked to have seen him make it.
Yeah he would have been sick if he were in no doubt.

At least this opens he door to the good Chief now. And personally, I think I would like MC more. Halo speaks better to my generation that grew up in the 2000's/early 2010's and even skipped school to play Halo 3 on launch day lol.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
This made me think of a couple of questions that may or not been already discussed to death: If you were told your character's inclusion would completely change the competitive meta of the game, would you still want them in? Would you still want your favorite characters in Smash even if they don't fit your playstyle?
Of course, I'll find a way to adapt to their playstyle, also I'm not just getting the character, I'm also getting a stage, and soundtrack too. I may be interested in entering competitive, by not at the expense of my favorite characters

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
We'll see. Just feels like people are eager to jump to conclusions if it spares them from a character they don't want. Saw the same attitude when I suggested getting a first-party in the first pass. I even remember you yourself making a similar lengthy post explaining why first-parties, especially those that are already on the roster, weren't getting in as DLC. You explained that they didn't bring as much to the table as an entire new franchise, and that adding one would go against everything Reggie, Sakurai, and many others had been saying over the past year.

And now here we are. After four third-parties, we ended the first DLC pack with a first-party. The pattern and logic the fanbase held so dear was shattered.

People can keep clinging on to patterns and sweep the chances of a SwSh character under the rug if it gives them peace of mind. If I'm wrong, the egg's on my face, and those who were right can take a victory lap. Regardless, the four Spirits we got in November aren't all SwSh has to offer, and considering how there's only two, maybe three first-party games in the timespan of 2019 to 2020 with a legitimate chance of getting a character, I don't see why Pokemon should suddenly be considered dead in the water. You don't have many other options, and whatever options you do have are pretty pale in comparison.

One last thing I have to say. If you're someone who still thinks Spirits count as deconfirmations, then you either think Ring Fit Trainer or Gooigi have a better shot than a Pokemon all because of a few Spirits, or you're still adamant that we're only getting third-parties, even though Byleth was revealed only a week ago. Personally, I would recommend not investing so much stock into the presence of a quartet of jpegs and keep ourselves open to the possibility, but I don't think many people are willing do that.
You're right, I was perhaps too keen to jump on the third parties only train while forgetting the aspect of new universes within first parties. I can admit that... yet I don't think I was necessarily all that wrong in my earlier analyses. Most of what I said still applies to the vast majority of first party picks who largely have their entire series already in the game. Dixie Kong is not only a Spirit, but every major element around her is also already in the game that she would traditionally come with. Sure, you can obviously get more specific, but when you're having to stretch to pull together a Spirit Board of stuff not already in the game, that's usually a pretty big sign that option is somewhat tapped in Smash already. Fire Emblem's unique property of being completely unique each time allowed it to get away with bringing more to Smash. And also, furthermore, we've actually seen exactly what I predicted come out in real time. Byleth wasn't a third party, and a ton of people were straight up disappointed on that note alone and felt that it should have ended on a third party like the rest of the pass. Obviously, there is lots of disappointment form other angles like "Too Many FE characters" and such, but the same backlash I spoke of did indeed happen to an extent.

No, that's not all Sw/Sh has to offer, but those are also literally the most important Pokemon of this generation. This is like if we got Spirits of Byleth, Edelgard, Claude, and Dmitri. Plenty of great characters beyond those 4 in Three Houses, but also literally the most important ones and the stuff you would go for if including Sword/Shield in later on. There is literally zero reason to blow the 7 of the most important Pokemon in the generation if you're going to include them later. I consider it dead in the water because they went right for the throat of Sw/Sh's base game and there is zero precedent to the idea that Spirits would be used as a "way to get people off the scent" of the real DLC because Sakurai has literally never operated like that once and has never once cared about this phenomenon in any situation because, again, the people who speculate all the time about the game are not worth investing resources to bamboozle.

The thing about Spirits disconfirm is that most of us were straight up correct about it. A good number of people positioned Spirits Disconfirm around specifically and only for Fighter's Pass #1. Not a single Spirit got upgraded from base game, so yes, Spirits disconfirmed and it's pretty easy to follow the logic of why they did. Now, we're in a new era that involves a new set of rules, but the exact same circumstances of new Spirits being created at the same time as the DLC was being chosen. If Spirits are being created while or before DLC is chosen, then the same line of thinking applies to them as well.

And yes, I think Ring Fit Adventure is more likely than Sword/Shield right now because I think Sword/Shield (base game) is done for while Ring Fit has a small if unlikely chance. But the problem is, you're positioning the argument around the whole "A Spirit wouldn't stop them from making the character" when that was never the conversation in place. A Spirit wouldn't stop them, but if they planned to make the character playable, they wouldn't have made the Spirits for that game/franchise/character because that's just wasting resources or taking content away from a future Challenger Pack. You're twisting the conversation around to try to better make a point that has no precedence to back it up.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If any generation were to get a second rep, it would be Gen 4. Pokemon from it still show regularly in marketing. And if we did get one, my money would be on Garchomp.
Garchomp is a great pick. Vaguely humanoid. Two Types not in Smash yet. Has a Mega evolution for easy FS. And is just really cool.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Personally I think this is revisionism at best.

Speaking as someone who wanted them, Pac-Man and Ryu were INCREDIBLY controversial in the lead up to their reveal, with many in the fanbase being vocally against them. So much so that I'd actually say Palutena was BY FAR more wanted among the western Smash speculation base than Pac-Man was, thanks mostly to worries about him being based on The Ghostly Adventures.

Which, again, sucks because I was really excited for them lol. But back then anti-third party sentiments were much more common than they are now.
I never did get why some people were so against Pac-Man of all people. Like he was some nobody with no moveset potential. Mans was practically the first video game character. I thought he was more likely than Mega Man before either got shown off. But I was really happy both were in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I never did get why some people were so against Pac-Man of all people. Like he was some nobody with no moveset potential. Mans was practically the first video game character. I thought he was more likely than Mega Man before either got shown off. But I was really happy both were in.
I was against Pac Man because I was expecting them to use his awful looking cartoon show incarnation.

If it was between getting that abomination and just literally nothing, I'd have absolutely taken the nothing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People didn't think he was a nobody but they did think he wouldn't be able to provide a moveset. That was the most common point against him. Some people were also against him on the belief he would either use his Ghostly Adventures look, or the classic "waka waka" look instead of the one we got. And yet others thought that characters like Lloyd or Heihachi (but mostly Lloyd, because back then people were also against fighting-game characters) would just fit better, and therefore get the spot.

"The spot" being the Namco rep spot, which was just assumed to be a thing when they were announced as the devs. Beforehand Pac-Man really didn't have that much demand behind him. Nor did any of them, really. Maybe a little for Lloyd.

He was divisive. Unnecessarily so, and not the most divisive character of that era, but it was what it was.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how big the disappointment will be when the next DLC fighter is someone completely different than the chars that are thrown around currently.
Byleth is not even one week old and this thread is going bonkers already.
People didn't guess Terry much until Nintendo themselves leaked it, so they'll get over it, most of them anyways.

It'll also depend on the character, if it isn't someone a lot of people asked for, but was either interesting, iconic, crazy, popular or any combination of those traits, most people will come around.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He was divisive. Unnecessarily so, and not the most divisive character of that era, but it was what it was.
Meanwhile, back when I've never even touched the site, I get up one morning and think "why isn't PAC-MAN in this game?", and the Super Smash Bros. website was like "ask and you shall receive". So I guess that makes him the only character I've ever called.

I still don't like Pac-Man.
Yeah. He is a super weird character in practice. Like, you can tell he's got great tools, but it takes years of study to find out how to use them in a somewhat decent manner...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think with the Spirit discussion, it was never that Sakurai and the team wouldn’t bypass a png to add a character.

It’s why the Spirits were put in at certain points, combined with when they’re added, and, finally, evidence suggesting that Sakurai considers Spirits just as much “in the crossover” as a playable character is.

Therefore, if the game already gets content prior to a DLC character, one could surmise that that’s essentially what their role in the crossover is. For example, it could be argued that a game like Undertale isn’t getting more content, otherwise it’d have been there with the Sans costume.

Likewise, we learned from Sakurai that the Byleth presentation was recorded in November. This is around the same time of the Pokémon Spirits. Now, the key difference with Fire Emblem and Pokémon is that none of the characters in those Pokémon spirits would have likely turned out to be playable. Despite this, if there were a Pokémon fighter planned (which, Sakurai would know that by the time of the Byleth recording most likely) why wouldn’t they save those Spirits? He also stated that the pass was decided, by the way.

Now, I don’t necessarily think it’s out of the question that they could put Cinderace in or something (I don’t know who the anime is focusing on), but that doesn’t seem to make much sense with what we’ve seen so far.

I personally just expect more entirely new content, from games that haven’t crossed over yet. I always said Astral Chain and Three Houses would be exceptions because the content from those games would be completely new. I would be way more in favor of the prospects of Pokémon if it didn’t have the Spirit event.

Let’s not call Sakurai a liar though, because that lasted once with Zero Suit Samus and lasted for like 10 seconds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or Confirmation Bias
That is the will of the Smash Speculation scene. Random leak that has no evidence but supports their character is treated like a god. Random leak that is more credible but doesn't contain what they want is abolished. Such is the way of this community. And that sucks. Nagmumukha lang kayong tanga.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I was against Pac Man because I was expecting them to use his awful looking cartoon show incarnation.

If it was between getting that abomination and just literally nothing, I'd have absolutely taken the nothing.
Outside of jokes, I felt like there was no way in hell they'd go for that look. But yeah, everyone hated that design because it was awful. Pac-Man with detailed eyes and teeth are something a person who hates their fellow man would come up with.

People didn't think he was a nobody but they did think he wouldn't be able to provide a moveset. That was the most common point against him. Some people were also against him on the belief he would either use his Ghostly Adventures look, or the classic "waka waka" look instead of the one we got. And yet others thought that characters like Lloyd or Heihachi (but mostly Lloyd, because back then people were also against fighting-game characters) would just fit better, and therefore get the spot.

"The spot" being the Namco rep spot, which was just assumed to be a thing when they were announced as the devs. Beforehand Pac-Man really didn't have that much demand behind him. Nor did any of them, really. Maybe a little for Lloyd.

I think at the time most people were against fighting game characters because of a statement Sakurai made early on before Ryu was added. Granted people didn't want him in before Mega Man, a sentiment I remember myself sharing at the time, yet Ryu ended up being my 2nd favorite member of Smash 4's cast.

I still remember a couple people saying no one would know who Pac-Man was.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Yeah. He is a super weird character in practice. Like, you can tell he's got great tools, but it takes years of study to find out how to use them in a somewhat decent manner...
There's always something new with PAC-MAN whenever I watch Smash clips.

D

Deleted member

Of all the characters being **** on in all of Smash and it has to be Pac-Man. Like...why? Just...why is it a thing? Oh wait, it's the Smash community. Same old song and dance.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
How would you have Sami play?
Frankly, if we needed it quick and dirty, she could be a Snake echo with just the special moves changed to have the Smash 4 assist trophy and replace Cypher with a T-copter and it would work fine, but I think if any Wars rep gets in the game, the concept would have to match their strategy roots.

Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites said over in the Isaac thread, the best representation would be a summoner character with a focus on stage control. Special moves all summon different units as 2D sprites, have a funds meter like Hero's MP so you can't build a bajillion units and to incentivize things other than camping.

Oh, they'd likely be the most toxic, campiest character in the cast, but you could do it in a way to promote strategy. Strategy, strategy, strategy. Send in the tanks against Sonic charging spin dash, send in the fighters or AA against Palu to shut down her air approaches, artillery against big and slow characters, ect. Force your opponent to not play their game.

Of course, these concepts could all apply to Andy and then Sami as an echo fighter would just have weaker tanks and direct fire units while having stronger infantry, so she'd be more prone to laying down lots of the weaker/cheaper units and ranged.

In the same way, I'd kind of be bummed if the only Djinn in Isaac's kit shows up in his taunt or something. It really needs to be his gimmick, in whatever form it takes. You could make him just use Psynergy and be great, but djinn would make him completely unique and represent the series best.

But for both of them, I'm just worried about them being chosen as it's been almost a decade now since their DS last gasps. Sakurai has shown that he'll pretty accurately capture the essence of any game in the fighters.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Of all the characters being **** on in all of Smash and it has to be Pac-Man. Like...why? Just...why is it a thing? Oh wait, it's the Smash community. Same old song and dance.
Given this community, I'm willing to bet every single character on the roster has been criticized on once or twice.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think at the time most people were against fighting game characters because of a statement Sakurai made early on before Ryu was added. Granted people didn't want him in before Mega Man, a sentiment I remember myself sharing at the time, yet Ryu ended up being my 2nd favorite member of Smash 4's cast.
That was a big part of it, but I seem to remember, perhaps mistakenly so, that many people already carried the sentiments Sakurai seemingly expressed about fighting game characters in Smash prior to his statement. That just helped proliferate the idea.

It just wasn't hugely talked about before, since no fighting game characters were really considered plausible. This was back when every third-party was seen as necessitating close ties to Nintendo, and no big-name fighting game characters really made the grade.

That, in turn, is why when Ryu leaked, the primary justification people were employing to reconcile the possibility, was stressing the reception of SFII's SNES port specifically.

A different time. People tend to forget how many lenses Smash has been viewed through when saying "well x was always popular!"

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Frankly, if we needed it quick and dirty, she could be a Snake echo with just the special moves changed to have the Smash 4 assist trophy and replace Cypher with a T-copter and it would work fine, but I think if any Wars rep gets in the game, the concept would have to match their strategy roots.

Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites said over in the Isaac thread, the best representation would be a summoner character with a focus on stage control. Special moves all summon different units as 2D sprites, have a funds meter like Hero's MP so you can't build a bajillion units and to incentivize things other than camping.

Oh, they'd likely be the most toxic, campiest character in the cast, but you could do it in a way to promote strategy. Strategy, strategy, strategy. Send in the tanks against Sonic charging spin dash, send in the fighters or AA against Palu to shut down her air approaches, artillery against big and slow characters, ect. Force your opponent to not play their game.

Of course, these concepts could all apply to Andy and then Sami as an echo fighter would just have weaker tanks and direct fire units while having stronger infantry, so she'd be more prone to laying down lots of the weaker/cheaper units and ranged.

In the same way, I'd kind of be bummed if the only Djinn in Isaac's kit shows up in his taunt or something. It really needs to be his gimmick, in whatever form it takes. You could make him just use Psynergy and be great, but djinn would make him completely unique and represent the series best.

But for both of them, I'm just worried about them being chosen as it's been almost a decade now since their DS last gasps. Sakurai has shown that he'll pretty accurately capture the essence of any game in the fighters.
I was wondering if you chose Sami because you didn't want the summoner moveset. She was going to be similar to Snake in Project M, apparently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If he wasn't already in the game and was raised as a possibility, you would've been ****ting on Pac-Man literally a week ago.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If you have that negative of an opinion on the Smash community, then why are you here?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That was a big part of it, but I seem to remember, perhaps mistakenly so, that many people already carried the sentiments Sakurai seemingly expressed about fighting game characters in Smash prior to his statement. That just helped proliferate the idea.

It just wasn't hugely talked about before, since no fighting game characters were really considered plausible. This was back when every third-party was seen as necessitating close ties to Nintendo, and no big-name fighting game characters really made the grade.

That, in turn, is why when Ryu leaked, the primary justification people were employing to reconcile the possibility, was stressing the reception of SFII's SNES port specifically.

A different time. People tend to forget how many lenses Smash has been viewed through when saying "well x was always popular!"
It's weird in hindsight. While I definitely preferred Mega Man, It was really easy to get an idea of how Ryu would work in Smash(though I don't know how many people expected the inputs and focus attack) Hadoken, SRK and Tatsu just make perfect specials, and he's got throws and punches/kicks to pull from.
I do remember mentioning how Ryu, while not as closely tied to Nintendo as Mega Man and Phoenix still had a handful of titles on Nintendo systems and handhelds. Technically, the entire Alpha series, SF2 and SF4 all had Nintendo versions.

One character I was super sure was NEVER happening was Cloud. And we know how that turned out. Though it's a case of me being glad that I was wrong.

Now look at us. People are honestly wondering if Microsoft will get a 2nd character or if Sony will play nice for once. Really shows how things change.

Well at least we can safely say that Mario was always popular.

*arguments about his moveset ensue*

OH COME ON!
I can only imagine what weird alternate timelines we could have lived in.

"You'd really think they'd add Luigi? He's just gonna be a Mario Clone! He'll be less unique than even Falco. And Luigi's Mansion is too obscure of a series to pull anything from."

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
More times than not in the last few years when it comes to Smash, I’m happy to be wrong most of the time.

Like, a character I wouldn’t predict or want gets in, and I’m like, “YO THIS IS AWESOME” mainly because of the gameplay side of it. Getting to see a character in action usually sells me on them.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
It’s why the Spirits were put in at certain points, combined with when they’re added, and, finally, evidence suggesting that Sakurai considers Spirits just as much “in the crossover” as a playable character is.

Therefore, if the game already gets content prior to a DLC character, one could surmise that that’s essentially what their role in the crossover is. For example, it could be argued that a game like Undertale isn’t getting more content, otherwise it’d have been there with the Sans costume.
I completely agree. I'm sure given infinite time and resources Sakurai would love to put in all the characters he could. But the reality of the situation is very few video game characters (compared to how many exist) are going to be playable in Smash. Spirits provide a lower effort way to represent a series/character in Smash, and Mii costumes are a very nice middle ground.

I'm of the opinion that not only are spirit events a disconfirmation, but base game spirits are very likely a deathblow as well. It's not because the PNGs are preventing a character from being made. It's because of the points you made plus the fact that those characters were not chosen as the last 5 characters added to Ultimate. I'm supposed to believe that they just missed the cut and were part of the 6 runners up? Even if that were true I think it's reasonable to assume that given Nintendo green-lighted more DLC because the sales of Joker, Hero, and (maybe) Banjo were so good, we should expect the next pass to follow the same blueprint and sell brand new third party characters.

If we ever see a spirit promotion or a character from a series that received a spirit event, I'll change my tune. But there is no evidence so far that spirits are anything other than a hard disconfirm.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering if you chose Sami because you didn't want the summoner moveset. She was going to be similar to Snake in Project M, apparently.
Oh no, not at all. I like making the opponent upset. Smash 4 Rosalina was like peak character archtype for me. Loved it.

Frankly, I should play a more infuriating character in Ultimate. Everyone seems to hate Palutena, but she's pretty dang honest/straightforward.

I just chose Sami because you don't put 1000 hours into a franchise and not have a main CO. And the Victory March music unnnnnffff.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong is not only a Spirit, but every major element around her is also already in the game that she would traditionally come with. Sure, you can obviously get more specific, but when you're having to stretch to pull together a Spirit Board of stuff not already in the game, that's usually a pretty big sign that option is somewhat tapped in Smash already.
> No Tropical Freeze Stage
> No new DK stage in general
> Pretty much all existing DKC stages are based on jungle environments
> Barely any Tropical Freeze songs, none of which are remixes
> No DKC3 songs (you know, the game where her name is literally in the title)

'K
1579749332935.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom