• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
I think crash is supposed to be next to Wario. He’d have a crazy face while looking at Wario which would explain Wario’s reaction and why he doesn’t seem to be really looking at anything at the moment.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Man can we all switch topic to talking about how we all got first into Smash Bros? Would enjoy some good stories.

It's been about 15 years since I discovered Smash Bros at 8 years old. I'm old now.
Well, my older brother (he’s significantly older than I am) already had some consoles including an N64 and, while I am older than Smash 64 is, I was too young to remember him actually bringing it home, so I’ve been playing Smash for as long as I can remember. I was a :pikachu64: main back in the day, who mercilessly spammed Thunder; I thought I was so good due to my ability to go back and forth across the stage while using it, ahaha.

I had to wait until I was actually just about 13 to play either Melee or Brawl, by the way. This was, to some degree, self-imposed as well, so I wasn’t just resentful about it the whole time, but like... ugh, yeah.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal thought on the DLC going forward is that we will likely see at least one character before E3. After the at absolute best lukewarm reception Byleth got, I have a hard time believing Nintendo would want to wait 5 whole months just for the first fighter of this new wave of DLC.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've been playing since the game released in the US and I've been supporting Marina Liteyears ever since and she's never going to happen but dammit Nintendo just give me a Mii I'm begging you

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
This is my final dlc roster prediction before 2021. Not in any particular order.

Dante
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
2B
A Bravely Default character
Sephiroth

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
This is my final dlc roster prediction before 2021. Not in any particular order.

Dante
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
2B
Sephiroth
There’s no way Square Enix is getting half of the DLC slots.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
O

Dante
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
2B
Sephiroth
or Lloyd replaces sephiroth

SKX31

Smash Master
Don't know why you thought I was from Iceland (I'm from Ireland) but hey I've been mistaken before. Also I can resonate with the getting it with the brother. My brother played Melee because of Mewtwo but I was far more into Smash.
I just read your description: "An Island in North West Europe" and, well, you can't go more North West than Iceland. Also, I'm from the Nordics, so I blame it on that.

hmm... so ive not been here since byleth was announced.
is it just me who isn't salty that an fe rep got added?
please don't say its just me who isn't salty...
please...
You're not alone. Haven't played 3H yet, but interested in the character's moveset. Also kinda relieved that if they're gonna continue adding FE characters*, at least the focus lies on giving them unique stuff to do. What with Byleth being even more of a heavy zoner than :ultkrool:.

*(Not expecting another one for a long while - 3H is entering "ever-green" territory and getting major DLC - but I strongly doubt Byleth will be the last period.)

Time for another game: Let's say that Fighters Pass 2 brings us six more "deluxe" Mii Fighter costumes like Sans and Cuphead, one for each Fighters Pass character (who the character is doesn't matter in this case), each one bringing at least one music track. Who would you want to see as "deluxe" costumes and what music tracks would they come with?
  1. :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - "Strike the Earth!"
  2. :ultbrawler: Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's) - "Les Toreadors"
  3. :ultbrawler: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) - "Magical Sound Shower"
  4. :ultgunner: Quote (Cave Story) - "On to Grasstown"
  5. :ultgunner: Shinra (Ikaruga) - "Ideal"
  6. :ultswordfighter: Sword Knight (Kirby) - "Checker Knights"
Imma try this then:

1. :ultbrawler: Kazuya Mishima (Tekken) - Burning
2. :ultswordfighter: Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy VIII) - Force Your Way
3. :ultgunner: T-elos (Xenosaga) - T-elos' Theme
4. :ultswordfighter: Juggernaut (Dota 2*) - Dota 2's Main Theme (Flute Version)
5. :ultgunner: Ciel Alecon (God Eater 2) - F.A.T.E (Using PXZ2's version since it's instrumental. Open to the vocal version too.)
6. :ultbrawler: Segata Sanshiro (Himself) - Segata's Theme (PXZ2 Rendition)

*(While Dota 2's my pipedream pick, I'm fully aware that it's really unlikely.)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I've come to accept that Fire Emblem is such a huge victim of circumstance when it comes to smash.

• She came right at the end of the fighter pass after Nintendo already knew they had your money.
  • Was an insult to characters who were told "you were released to early to be considered" when Sakurai decided he wanted to make Byleth before her game even came out. I still feel bad for the Xenoblade fanbase for this one.
  • They were hyping up the possibility of the entire pass being 3rd party with the first 4 fighters before dropping Byleth.
  • Her reveal video had this sense of "We know people won't like her. But deal with it :^)". Which might not be a smart thing to do when people already have Fire Emblem fatigue. I found it funny. But it felt dirty to me.
  • She was originally going to be the last DLC fighter for Smash Ultimate if the 6 more fighters weren't announced.
I really don't mind her inclusion anymore since i've had a few days to think it over. But still I can point out how dirty it all seemed lol
This exactly.

I hate the trailer reveal 10 times more than the character.

Add in the factor that, besides Joker who was a complete surprise from every angle, every other character was leaked in one way or another.
Except for this one... Which had MASSIVE ammounts of expectations.
Doesn't help the little drumroll tactic Sakurai did at the beginning saying that not even Nintendo employees were aware and would be surprised, and it all built up an avalanche of expectation.

Only to be Fire Emblem #8. That's like having the exact same Christmas present for at least 5 years in a row, only now, it was hyped up beyond belief.

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
As much as I hate to say it. Putting a bravely default character in smash would be a good marketing decision if you are trying to get people to play the game. Same thing with Travis Touchdown. That’s why I think it will happen.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't think Bravely default rep as that much chance. Although the franchise is Nintendo exclusive and it's getting new game soon, the franchise have a lot of competition. Either it will be compare to other Square enix franchise (2B, Lara Croft, Sora, Chrono or even Geno), or it will be compare to much more popular JRPG franchise (Tales of).

h2ogre

Smash Apprentice
if Sakurai makes a third fighters pass he is going to have to cater towards western fans cuz he seems to be running out of eastern ones.

Th
I don't think Bravely default rep as that much chance. Although the franchise is Nintendo exclusive and it's getting new game soon, the franchise have a lot of competition. Either it will be compare to other Square enix franchise (2B, Lara Croft, Sora, Chrono or even Geno), or it will be compare to much more popular JRPG franchise (Tales of).
Here’s the thing with sora. Sakurai could definitely put him in the game because the whole Disney barrier isn’t that big of a deal that we think it is. The problem is when you think of his move set. If you’ve played every game in the franchise you realize he has so many moves. I think that is the problem with sora. Sakurai wouldn’t be able to do him justice because he would be lacking a lot of his moves and fans would not be happy with that.

I think geno is deconfirmed because of spirit, but everyone else seems like they could fit

Last edited by a moderator:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
if Sakurai makes a third fighters pass he is going to have to cater towards western fans cuz he seems to be running out of eastern ones.
Sakurai said the second Fighter pass will be fully revealed by the end of next year and my man's here already talking about a THIRD fighter pass XD

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sakurai said the second Fighter pass will be fully revealed by the end of next year and my man's here already talking about a THIRD fighter pass XD
I mean didn’t that one “Hayabusa and Byleth traded places” rumor originally shared by A Ayumi Tachibana also mention a THIRD pass?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think geno is deconfirmed because of spirit, but everyone else seems like they could fit
Well, the last spirits were probably decided near october 2018 (or maybe before), but the second fighter pass was probably decided near summer or fall 2019. Sakurai could have change his mind about some characters (although I don't think Geno have that much chances, but probably more than bravely default rep in my opinion).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
As much as I hate to say it. Putting a bravely default character in smash would be a good marketing decision if you are trying to get people to play the game. Same thing with Travis Touchdown. That’s why I think it will happen.
RINGABEL GANG
RISE

D

Deleted member

On the topic of deluxe mii costumes does anyone else feel like an updated Geno mii costume to make it look like him would be a good idea? I know a lot of people want Geno but I feel like making a really high quality mii costume like Sans/Cuphead and adding the Forest Maze song would be a nice addition.
My only issue is with making him a deluxe Mii is that it would be such a huge missed opportunity for a great moveset. Geno has a lot of potential to do some really cool and awesome attacks and abilities. Maybe if the Mii's could turn into a cannon for a final smash, I'd be down but that's not the case.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bravely Default 2 will have a new cast right? If we do get a BD series character it won’t be Tiz, Agnes, Edea, Ringabel or anyone from Second (I haven’t played that one)

still gunning for Neku personally you can’t change my mind

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think deluxe Mii costumes should be saved for Indie characters so they at least have something that is exclusive to them.

Although I could imagine a Rayman Mii costume since most of what Rayman does is Punch and Kick. If they just make the arms and legs invisible then I think Mii Brawler pretty much does what Rayman could do in Smash Bros.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Xenoblade X wasn’t out yet when Smash 4 was showing reveals pre release
Neither will Bravely 2 be unless it's the very last

You always start with the first. I can't recall a time where you haven't save for special occasions.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of boredom I decided to backread about MandyCanNot who claimed Byleth was FP5 in October and Crash was next and

he deleted his account. Not suspended, deleted.

So he was probably a troll. Honestly doubt the Nintenjas got him

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Every single DLC character so far have been at least known, or even renowned in Japan; even Banjo who was mostly a western pick, or Terry. Even the "better" Mii costumes Sans and Cuphead are liked in Japan.

I really don't see it change, especially for Doom or Halo, that have nearly no presence in Japan.

If Microsoft is still there for the second pass, I'm 95% sure it will be for Steve.
400k (Banjo) vs 110k (Halo 3) Yeah difference, but not whole another world of difference. Halo has fame in Japan. That's why there was Halo anime made by Japanese studio. That's still whole a lot more than Doom. And what are sales numbers for Undertale and Cuphead?

And people keep saying that Sakurai values fun factor more. No ****. That's just him being courteous. Characters like Shantae and Hat Kids have fun moveset potential, but we know why they are not playable. He also mentioned that characters must have legacy in gaming. He means pretty big one.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Out of boredom I decided to backread about MandyCanNot who claimed Byleth was FP5 in October and Crash was next and

never heard nor cared about this mysterious new person who gets the lucky shot

it's just loz18 all over again, and loz18 is probably just another person similar to him from 5 years ago, and that's probably like another person from brawl era

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think crash is supposed to be next to Wario. He’d have a crazy face while looking at Wario which would explain Wario’s reaction and why he doesn’t seem to be really looking at anything at the moment.
"Daisy is supposed to be bumping hips with my waifu" turned out to be false, so...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
11 - We’re going out with another wimper here
Hey, you know what? I'm okay with a Fighter's Pass ending on a whimper...as long as there's another FP after it!

hmm... so ive not been here since byleth was announced.
is it just me who isn't salty that an fe rep got added?
please don't say its just me who isn't salty...
please...
It's not JUST you but...it's very lonely where you are.

Fortunately, if there's a place to find other survivors like yourself, it's probably here(or a FE message board).

Not me though. I'm one of those walking corpses that seeks to feed on your warm brains.

On the topic of deluxe mii costumes does anyone else feel like an updated Geno mii costume to make it look like him would be a good idea? I know a lot of people want Geno but I feel like making a really high quality mii costume like Sans/Cuphead and adding the Forest Maze song would be a nice addition.
I think a lot of people would be disappointed, but it's better than getting nothing, or getting the old costume back.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
How would you guys feel if one of the DLC was a 4th party character, but the character had been in video games before. At the same time, the model in smash bros would be based on the character’s video game iteration.
There's a few I'd be ok with like Mike Tyson or Tony Hawk who have direct video game or Nintendo ties. I don't want Darth Vader, Bugs Bunny, or Harry Potter though.

I think his (and Dedede's) reactions are because of Incineroar leaping into their faces.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Actually their account was apparently hacked.

Person changed their D.O.B. so that they’d be under 13, which is a no no.

Not saying it changes anything, but it is a low point to hack someone because they say something.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Time for another game: Let's say that Fighters Pass 2 brings us six more "deluxe" Mii Fighter costumes like Sans and Cuphead, one for each Fighters Pass character (who the character is doesn't matter in this case), each one bringing at least one music track. Who would you want to see as "deluxe" costumes and what music tracks would they come with?
  1. :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - "Strike the Earth!"
  2. :ultbrawler: Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's) - "Les Toreadors"
  3. :ultbrawler: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue) - "Magical Sound Shower"
  4. :ultgunner: Quote (Cave Story) - "On to Grasstown"
  5. :ultgunner: Shinra (Ikaruga) - "Ideal"
  6. :ultswordfighter: Sword Knight (Kirby) - "Checker Knights"
Man, that's a tough one. There are so many good ideas for Sans/Cuphead-esque Mii Costumes... I guess I'll go with these six:
1 - :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) - "Strike the Earth!"
2 - :ultswordfighter: Miriam (Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night) - "Voyage of Promise" or "Luxurious Overture"
3 - :ultbrawler: Madeline (Celeste) - "First Steps"
4 - :ultbrawler: Yooka & Laylee (Yooka-Laylee) - "Yooka-Laylee Main Theme (Remix)"
5 - :ultswordfighter: Conker (Conker's Bad Fur-Day) - "Windy and Co."
6 - :ultswordfighter: Ty (Ty the Tasmanian Tiger) - "Bull Pen"

And some bonus ones, because why the hell not?
A - :ultbrawler: Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's) - "Circus (Chex Mix)"
B - :ultgunner: Jonesy(M) / Penny(F) (Fortnite) - "Battle Royale Menu Music (Rock Version)" Victory theme when using the full costume is "Default Dance Theme"
C - :ultgunner: Iji (Iji) - "Face to Face"

There are people here who want to drink an ocean of anti-FE tears, so...
DrinkByleth.png

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Man can we all switch topic to talking about how we all got first into Smash Bros? Would enjoy some good stories.

It's been about 15 years since I discovered Smash Bros at 8 years old. I'm old now.
This is always such a crazy question for me to think back on because I was 9 years old when Smash 64 came out. I think about that contrasted with a majority of other people who gush about this series online and think "...Damn, I'm old and should know better than this."

I remember playing Smash 64 with three of my buddies on my giant 90s box TV in my basement. Hyrule Castle, Pokemon exploding out of Pokeballs, laser swords, proximity mines, ray guns, invincibility stars, mini tornadoes, all while we're just pummeling each other. We were laughing so hard at the sheer chaos on the screen (the novelty of watching Pikachu, Mario, Link, and DK stomping each other was still fresh and, thus, hilarious). One of us paused the game, looked at the others, and said, direct quote, "There's no way any game will get more insane than this."

Cue Melee, of course. More than anything, I remember watching that opening cinematic until it became permanently burned into my brain. I quickly learned about nerfs when I went to a local tournament and, as Kirby (my main from 64), lost to a level 9 CPU Ness and got laughed out of the joint. I then spent the next year losing to my best buddy over and over as Pikachu until I learned how to dodge, perform tilt attacks, and generally get good.

I never really did, but eh, still working on it.

I know this is about how we got into Smash, but a very proud moment I had my senior year in high school was when my buddies and I, fueled with blind passion after seeing Sonic's reveal on the Smash Dojo, actually rigged our school's ballot and managed to get "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme" nominated for our senior class song. It lost miserably, but man, we appreciated the hell out of that little victory.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
  1. :ultgunner: Geno [Super Mario RPG] - "The Forest's Mushrooms"
  2. :ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight [Shovel Knight] - "Main Theme"
  3. :ultbrawler: Billy Lee & Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon] - "Title Theme"
  4. :ultswordfighter: Randi [Secret of Mana] - "Into the Thick of It"
  5. :ultgunner: Reimu [Touhou] - "U.N. Owen Was Her?"
  6. :ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter: Steve [Minecraft]

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have heard of the Atelier series? how much of you have never heard of it before the eshop getting tons of atelier games? and have had some negative experiences with the series?

I meanwhile never have been a mainstream series, is a series that have been on PSX, Sega Saturn, GBA, PS2, DS, PS3, Vita, PS4, PC and Switch with over 20 main games. although only started getting to the west during ps2 era onwards.

So far, i've been almost a decade very charmed with the series, and although i skipped some of the newer games, I'm getting a blast playing Ryza.
Sadly the series have never had tons of budget, so usually graphically they are a little rough on teh edges, specially teh animation department. but is usually contrasted with very interesting art direction, so never is a visual trainwreck (sometimes it even have great visuals). and honestly I love it's OST, specially it's WIDE assortment of "Area" themes rather than it's battle themes (which aren't bad though) And I personally like it' more laidback stories than tend to be very refreshingly different of the most common JRPGs stories , even if some characters fall a little on trope valley sometimes.

But honestly what I like the most is it gameplay loop. to the point that i can think tons of games that would become suddenly better if they decided to copy some of it's ideas. The importance of paying attention to the different items, items properties, element, qualities and then going into usually a engaging minigame for creating the crating, and using those items to either explore and fight monsters or complete quests is what IMO keeps fresh and interesting some of the sidequest or random encounters that tend to grow stale in most JRPGs.

Have you guys with 0 exposure to the series have felt some curiosity now that it's latest eleven games are avaiable on the Eshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom