• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why is it that Banjo doesn't need a new game, just massive fan service to get in, yet the same can't be applied to Isaac?
Banjo is way more requested and from an era when Rareware were a huge part of Nintendo. It was also in the spotlight thanks to Rare Replay and Microsoft, so it still would help people get into the series since it's still active to some degree. I mean, on life support, if you will, but active.

Camelot hasn't made a GS game in a long time and GS is not remotely active or promoted anywhere.

They're different situations as is.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
KoF XV just got a leaked screenshot

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/recruit/staff/nakata.php

That's a very whacky Raiden if I've ever seen one. That said, I don't count on sprites coming back. Those XIII characters were hella expensive and the fact that they're part of why SNK went missing for a few years until XIV makes me skeptic of that being anything but just a piece of artwork.

Also, this doesn't have much to do with anything, but I still want to know when XIV will come to Switch and hope XV does the same.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
if Sakurai makes a third fighters pass he is going to have to cater towards western fans cuz he seems to be running out of eastern ones.
There could be 10 more passes and he still wouldn't run out of viable eastern reps, even if we keep it to one character per franchise in one not represented in Smash.

Tales
Yakuza
Phoenix Wright
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Guilty Gear
Blazlue
Danganronpa
Bravely
Octopath
Ys
Legend of Heroes
Nier
Atelier
Neptunia
Granblue
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Dragalia Lost
Fate
No More Heroes
Touhou
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
PuyoPuyo
Ninja Gaiden
Layton

And that's all just off the top of my head.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There could be 10 more passes and he still wouldn't run out of viable eastern reps, even if we keep it to one character per franchise in one not represented in Smash.

Tales
Yakuza
Phoenix Wright
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Guilty Gear
Blazlue
Danganronpa
Bravely
Octopath
Ys
Legend of Heroes
Nier
Atelier
Neptunia
Granblue
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Dragalia Lost
Fate
No More Heroes
Touhou
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
PuyoPuyo
Ninja Gaiden
Layton

I'd call quite a few of those scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Tales
Yakuza
Phoenix Wright
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Guilty Gear
Blazlue
Danganronpa
Bravely
Octopath
Ys
Legend of Heroes
Nier
Atelier
Neptunia
Granblue
Okami
Viewtiful Joe
Dragalia Lost
Fate
No More Heroes
Touhou
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
PuyoPuyo
Ninja Gaiden
Layton

Very nice list. All very interesting choices.

Even then, I don't think he's going to outright ignore Western options. Sometimes moveset ideas alone can make or break it.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
No more than Geno or Isaac would be. There's also some glaring omissions in there that I forgot like DMC and Kingdom Hearts.

Very nice list. All very interesting choices.

Even then, I don't think he's going to outright ignore Western options. Sometimes moveset ideas alone can make or break it.
Oh, I'm not saying Western reps are done. In fact, I'd be surprised (though not jaw-drop shocked) if pass 2 had absolutely zero western reps. I was only contesting the idea that you can "run out" of eastern reps with only 6.

In every single major region of gaming, there are WAY more than 6 potential fighters to choose from.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While I disagree that most of these are bottom of barrel picks, a lot of these are more niche picks. Like, the heck's a Ys? How are you even supposed to pronounce it? Man and wife? *bah dum tsss!*

Seriously though, how do you pronounce it?

Also, I'm not sure what Legend of Heroes is. Sounds generic.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
While I disagree that most of these are bottom of barrel picks, a lot of these are more niche picks. Like, the heck's a Ys? How are you even supposed to pronounce it? Man and wife? *bah dum tsss!*

I think you pronounce it "Yeese" but I'm not totally sure.

Legend of Heroes is another long running Falcom series. Its presence in the west was super unknown until the Trails series started (Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel), so now it's ever so slightly less unknown.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

Google it

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No more than Geno or Isaac would be. There's also some glaring omissions in there that I forgot like DMC and Kingdom Hearts.
Digimon too, which is pretty active right now and still a huge franchise.

Among others.

And fair enough to the other part.

I've heard and/or played of every franchise in the list you gave. But niche picks(not bottom of the barrel, pfft) do get commented on often. Ironically so.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Because Banjo at least USED to be important. Golden Sun never was.
I actually talked about this with a friend today, didn't the GBA have a lackluster RPG line up for a while? Golden Sun selling well would be like how ARMS sold well due to the small library, though I'm not as familiar with the GBA so I may very well be wrong here

Kayakoscep

Smash Rookie
Was Papagenos really that bad?
he was mad but he don't said something wrong or inappropriate and I don't see the problem with that, I actually understand his reaction and I don't think his reaction was any different than a lot of us

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually talked about this with a friend today, didn't the GBA have a lackluster RPG line up for a while? Golden Sun selling well would be like how ARMS sold well due to the small library, though I'm not as familiar with the GBA so I may very well be wrong here
I don't honestly remember myself, but I remember Golden Sun 1 and 2 doing rather well outside of Dark Dawn, and I think that still met sales expectations or wasn't too far off?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Isaac, Geno and Krystal seem to be the ones that had massive Brawl hype that still haven't made it as playable.

All three did get expanded roles (in Isaac's case, getting his old one back) so they are aware that they have fanbases.
I think the problem is assuming that when a big character gets in the people who campaign for them will move onto another character when that's not the case for everyone.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I understand Golden Sun fans pain

Camelot should have never left SEGA and sold their soul to Nintendo

now they just make yearly mediocre Mario sports titles instead giving people what they really want

Shining Force IV

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I understand Golden Sun fans pain

Camelot should have never left SEGA and sold their soul to Nintendo

now they just make yearly mediocre Mario sports titles instead giving people what they really want

Shining Force IV
Shining Force IV happens but Smash fans go utterly ballistic at it for being too much like FE. Willing to risk that on the monkey paw?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Shining Force IV happens but Smash fans go utterly ballistic at it for being too much like FE. Willing to risk that on the monkey paw?
SF has cool furries and cute centaur girls so that would either make them go even more ballistic or enjoy it for being different

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
he was mad but he don't said something wrong or inappropriate and I don't see the problem with that, I actually understand his reaction and I don't think his reaction was any different than a lot of us
To me it just sounded like "Don't care. I'm mad. Let me rant." Not a bad reaction (negative, but not morally reprehensible), but I didn't care to watch it the whole way through because I dislike seeing people angry.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
He said factually wrong stuff like "no one cares about Fire Emblem" and was being condescending over Sakurai's apparent love of Fire Emblem. His reaction was at best super passive-aggressive and imo more inappropriate than a lot of the people that totally lost it in anger outside of like, the voice actor of Gumball who went off and calling anyone that wanted Byleth having "brain damage".

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
What are people’s thoughts on Rayman’s chances? I’m conflicted with the two Ubisoft Miis being revealed.

On one hand it seems like they’d be revealed with a Rayman challenger pack, making it seem like a negative.

But on the other hand, Rayman being the most popular Ubisoft character would make him prime candidate for a « sorry here’s a Mii Brawler costume » consolation.

I don’t quite know how to interpret it
I am in the camp that doesn't think Spirits will get upgraded. So Rayman chances are pretty close to zero in my eyes.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
IMHO it was just really immature. He acts super childish, flippant, and disrespectful. It's especially embarrassing when he does the whole "After Banjo, I couldn't possibly be mad!" that so many people in this fanbase were saying until Byleth got announced and some people (like PapaGenos) blew a gasket.

Honestly, equating him to reactions here doesn't really make it better when there was a lot of immaturity and rants here too.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
IMHO it was just really immature. He acts super childish, flippant, and disrespectful. It's especially embarrassing when he does the whole "After Banjo, I couldn't possibly be mad!" that so many people in this fanbase were saying until Byleth got announced and some people (like PapaGenos) blew a gasket.

Honestly, equating him to reactions here doesn't really make it better when there was a lot of immaturity and rants here too.
My favourite part of it is the aftermath, not only is he proven to not be nearly as chill as people kept saying he was, but he's collabing with Laxchris and Blocked Content, who were below him according to his fanatics. Probably just to see how much more he can piss on Byleth, something those with the mental capacity of a 7 year old won't whine about anymore after like 3 weeks

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
He said factually wrong stuff like "no one cares about Fire Emblem" and was being condescending over Sakurai's apparent love of Fire Emblem. His reaction was at best super passive-aggressive and imo more inappropriate than a lot of the people that totally lost it in anger outside of like, the voice actor of Gumball who went off and calling anyone that wanted Byleth having "brain damage".
There are two types of Smash speculators. Those pay attention to first party games that get critically acclaim and sell incredibly well and those who don't. When we saw those all of those 9's Three Houses was getting in reviews, its excellent word of mouth, and its selling nearly 3 million copies within a couple of months of release. At that point it was clear a Three Houses rep for season 2 was least inevitable.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Here’s a question.

Which character could possibly bring the least amount of salt and disappointment, for FP2#6?
At this rate any character will bring salt and disappointment.

My personal guess would be Dante. Any disappointment would be drowned out by mass hype.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
There are two types of Smash speculators. Those pay attention to first party games that get critically acclaim and sell incredibly well and those who don't. When we saw those all of those 9's Three Houses was getting in reviews, its excellent word of mouth, and its selling nearly 3 million copies within a couple of months of release. At that point it was clear a Three Houses rep for season 2 was least inevitable.
Remember when Nintendo held a poll on their most popular characters and the results ended up giving us this official Nintendo pic
EHhOlFdVAAAhmK_.png

No DK but some boar's in his place

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I use topic change!

WikiTalk.jpg

Just you asking you all as I checked the wiki for boredom but was this MandyCan rumour ever talked about? Curious.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Post merged and warned for double posting.
Remember when Nintendo held a poll on their most popular characters and the results ended up giving us this official Nintendo pic
View attachment 259078
No DK but some boar's in his place
I still need to play the Blue Lion's route, Dimitri sounds like he is one of the best written Nintendo character's period.

Also I love how much he sticks out compare to everyone else in that photo.

I use topic change!

View attachment 259077
Just you asking you all as I checked the wiki for boredom but was this MandyCan rumor ever talked about? Curious.
Yup, especially in the Geno thread. I would take with a massive grain of salt though, he could of easily wrote a bunch of tweets with different characters then proceed to delete all of them but the one he got right once they were revealed. There have been fake insiders who did this before.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
To be fair, the timing of the choices means none of the things in bold really mattered for Byleth in the end. The DLC lineup for season one was decided several months before 3H released.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
To be fair, the timing of the choices means none of the things in bold really mattered for Byleth in the end. The DLC lineup for season one was decided several months before 3H released.
Yeah he is a bad choice to end season 1, but a solid choice for midway through season 2. I would say there would be a bit less backlash, then I remember how angry some people got in between the time of Hero to Banjo's reveal. During those 40 minutes of darkness you could tell who knew about Gaming history and those simply blinded bias their bias nostalgia.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not according to the conspiracy theories people are coming up with as they can't handle that there's a reality Byleth was the last character in the game and we narrowly avoided it

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah he is a bad choice to end season 1, but a solid choice for midway through season 2. I would say there would be a bit less backlash, then I remember how angry some people got in between the time of Hero to Banjo's reveal. During those 40 minutes of darkness you could tell who knew about Gaming history and those simply blinded bias their bias nostalgia.
Uh... whether the choice was good or bad wasn't the point of my post. The point is that 3H being a good game/selling well was pretty useless to predict Byleth as CP5 in the end, since that wasn't really a factor in their inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom