• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alright, to get off the Fire Emblem discussion for a bit, I have a question to everyone. We know that the budget for the team has been lowered significantly so as a result the team relies on live presentations, and it's gonna take two years to develop six characters as opposed to the previous fighters pass when it took one year to develop five characters.

My question is this, could the lowered budget have also affected the choices chosen as DLC?
It's possible, but we won't know until we see them. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent as much on all four third-parties in the pass as they did on just Ryu and Cloud last time. Especially Cloud. But if it is the case, they could alleviate a lower budget by alternating the choices between first and third-party.

If I were Nintendo, I would make the same budgetary concessions they are (longer gaps, a presumably smaller staff) to keep the level of reveal around the same as it is now. Who knows, maybe we won't get the CGI trailers anymore either, and it'll be more like DLC last time.

Frankly what matters most is the characters themselves, so I can't blame them for forgoing some of the other stuff.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I saw an argument for Sora to be in Smash just for the fact that knowing Nomura, he will find a way to make it canon to Kingdom Hearts lore and put at least 1 important new piece of lore in it.
Suda will try to make Smash canon to the Kill The Past universe as well

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You guys know what is missing? Smash Machinma. Brawl had a ton of them and yet smash 4 and ultimate don't. We need more
This. If Smash Kingdom can come back for Ultimate, it's time we bring machinma back as well.

Let's have a fun game: you're somehow confirmed that Gooigi is going to be part of the pass, but in order to include him, he's gonna be unique and not an echo.

How do you expect him to play like.
I'll take a stab at this.

Basically, Gooigi would have two primary gimmicks, being made of goo and having a moveset built around Luigi's Mansion. As such, I'd imagine he'd be a little slippery in terms of mobility, with a below average jumping height and mediocre damage output, but a fantastic grab game to make up for it. Likewise, he'd have the best wallcling in the game, because he's sticky.

Making a quick set of special moves, here's what I have in mind:
Neutral Special - Vacuum: Imagine Kirby and Dedede's Inhales, but with the ability to slowly move around, suck in any direction, and a longer range (approximately as far as Corrin's F-Smash). The closer you are to Gooigi, the stronger the suction effect is. Getting pulled in allows Gooigi to perform a free grab, but this move has a long start up and cool down.
Side Special - Plunger Shot: Gooigi shoots out a plunger from his Poltergust as a projectile. Very weak (about 3%), but quick. If an opponent is hit, they will have the plunger stuck to them. When this happens, the suction effect on that character is increased by 1.5x if Gooigi uses his neutral special. Only one character can have the plunger on them at a time.
Up Special - Burst: The Poltergust releases a discharge of air, which knocks Gooigi up. This move has relatively little vertical recovery, but comes out quickly and creates a shockwave effect on both sides of Gooigi
Down Special - Flashlight: Similar to Mewtwo's Disable, Gooigi shines his flashlight forward, stunning opponents facing him.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Definitely. Pokemon Trainer was added to Brawl during Gen 4, yet Sceptile and other older Pokemon were neglected during Ultimate's speculation because they would never add an older Pokemon in favor of a newer Pokemon except for that time they did just that three times. Incineroar was my most wanted Pokemon during speculation, but I still pushed for Pokemon like Gengar and Deoxys because so many Pokemon are cool and should be considered for Smash.
I do think including perennial favourites would age the selection much better than the strategy they've employed the last few times. I mean, if the pattern of going with the newest gen wasn't so well established, the new Pokemon would pale in comparison to the demand of the older choices.

Especially since, even among the newest gen, you can pretty much forget getting any Pokemon that GF hasn't already predetermined will be favoured promotionally. It's sadly ironic how the series with the biggest cast actually has among the smallest window of plausible candidates.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So I have kinda stepped away from this thread since I don't think we'll get another reveal for quite a while, but I just had a thought that I wanted to share. Considering that the second pass can be purchased starting with January 29th, does anyone else feel like there's at least a small chance that we'll get a reveal similar to Joker's some time after that? Not in terms of character choice, but as in "here's a character with 0 gameplay for another couple of months", I mean. After all, they'll want to sell the second pass somehow, and I severely doubt that that Mii costume and the past experience of the previous pass is gonna be enough to do that without any known characters.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
While we here at KC Comics™ are working hard on the Fatman main storyline, we also have uncanon side gags that poke fun at recent Smash Bros. deconfirmations. We do it for the fan (yes, that's not a typo), but we also do it because a spoonful of comedy helps the salt go down. Now it's time for our newest comic.

Part FP5: Astral Pain

Later that day...

Here's some old yet ever relevant deconfirmation gags:

Also... we here at KC promise that Jenée Montana is totally not a self-insert. Probably. She's just the best side character.

And here's an old special crossover chapter dedicated to Kat from Gravity Rush. This doesn't even have anything to do with our uncanon Fatman side gags (so it's more uncanon than unusual), but it hit the writers so hard, we made an exception.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Definitely. Pokemon Trainer was added to Brawl during Gen 4, yet Sceptile and other older Pokemon were neglected during Ultimate's speculation because they would never add an older Pokemon in favor of a newer Pokemon except for that time they did just that three times. Incineroar was my most wanted Pokemon during speculation, but I still pushed for Pokemon like Gengar and Deoxys because so many Pokemon are cool and should be considered for Smash.
Deoxys would be cool. Like Shulk, but with the ability to swap between a balanced, rush down, heavy, and a less archetypical playstyle. Unfortunately, only the rush down version is viable because it's Smash.
This. If Smash Kingdom can come back for Ultimate, it's time we bring machinma back as well.
Smash n' Stuff is still going.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So I have kinda stepped away from this thread since I don't think we'll get another reveal for quite a while, but I just had a thought that I wanted to share. Considering that the second pass can be purchased starting with January 29th, does anyone else feel like there's at least a small chance that we'll get a reveal similar to Joker's some time after that? Not in terms of character choice, but as in "here's a character with 0 gameplay for another couple of months", I mean. After all, they'll want to sell the second pass somehow, and I severely doubt that that Mii costume and the past experience of the previous pass is gonna be enough to do that without any known characters.
It'll probably be a thing reserved for the next direct or something.

Krankees

Smash Ace
I think they would at least show who the next character is before E3. They have to convince more people to buy it somehow.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
While we here at KC Comics™ are working hard on the Fatman main storyline
I look forward to the chapter where he actually leaks something, only it's all his personal info instead of a smash character.

blackghost

Smash Champion
theres no way we wont know the first character before march imo. i'd expect a hook to be something like dante or another 3rd party.
the only franchise fans i think have a right to be salty on the byleth inclusion are xenoblade fans. all this other salt is unwarranted especially when i saw people on this forumask for a "more tradtitional smash character" following terry.

hopes for season 2
1. dante
2. lara
3. rex/pyrha
4. sepiroth or tifa
5. tekken character
6. hollow knight

reasoning- dante rumors are too strong and they arent conspirtacy like ties but based on some interesting behind the scenes movements. lara there has to be a female (a non avatar) charatcer SOMEWHERE. and shes the biggest one in gaming. samus is not even close to lara. rex/phyra definitive edition comes out and its promotional. (although the fanbase wont dare call him a shill pick i bet). Tifa or sepiroth FF7 is coming out eventually. i see this as promotion and people will flip out over it. tekken character sakurai grew up on traditional fighters and tekken is king of 3-d. hollow knight the biggest indie character today that you can make a moveset for. ori is a bigger character but i dont see a moveset there.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think that's smart and I can see them doing it, but then again Nintendo is dumb sometimes so they could totally just leave preorders up for five months with no character to entice buyers.

I.D.

Smash Lord
rex/phyra definitive edition comes out and its promotional. (although the fanbase wont dare call him a shill pick i bet).
Well, considering Rex doesn't even appear in that game it would feel pretty weird calling him a shill pick.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Alright, to get off the Fire Emblem discussion for a bit, I have a question to everyone. We know that the budget for the team has been lowered significantly so as a result the team relies on live presentations, and it's gonna take two years to develop six characters as opposed to the previous fighters pass when it took one year to develop five characters.

My question is this, could the lowered budget have also affected the choices chosen as DLC?
Probably, which makes someone like Sora feel a little less likely.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
A part of me thinks, that we won't get as many third-party-characters this time. But maybe that's just because of all the "budget-talk".

I have no idea who could be on this pass. Personally im hoping for spirits-promotion (Elma, Octolings, Shantae, Fiora to name a few).

I could see a reveal of Fighter 6 within the next few weeks (or at least a teaser like Joker or Terry).

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
But as Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , Sakurai can easily add more 3rd party characters from current companies on board with Smash already which would make it easier and cheaper than a new company.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I'm personally thinking we're gonna see a 3 - 3 split here.

One Third Party from a large developer like Namco or Capcom

Two from Smaller like Arc System Works or Falcom.

D

Deleted member

I'm late but I just wanted to say Byleth was the second best case scenario and legit the most hype DLC newcomer, can't wait to play as her cosplaying Edelgard

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, considering Rex doesn't even appear in that game it would feel pretty weird calling him a shill pick.
Eh, I wouldn't be too surprised if they added a challenge mode like 2 had to DE, where he and Elma could show up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But as Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , Sakurai can easily add more 3rd party characters from current companies on board with Smash already which would make it easier and cheaper than a new company.
I don't follow that logic. How cooperative a company is varies from one to another, as does licensing costs. This isn't Costco, there's no guarantee Nintendo will get a deal by buying in bulk. Like, I suspect it'd be much cheaper to license Travis Touchdown than Master Chief.

I mean, with the caveat that we can only go by Sakurai's public statements, it seems like it was very easy to work with SNK and Microsoft, even though they were new to the party. And I'm sure Terry was among the cheapest third-parties to license. I mean they had the budget for 50 songs.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm on the side that thinks this Pass will still have a respectable amount of third-party character. They could be just half the pass or less than five, but frankly, if the first pass' success in sales is anything to go by, then Nintendo is still in good conditions to pay for more licenses.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Having Rex at this point would feel really weird, Nintendo has really decreased marketing efforts for Xenoblade 2 with their last time having any sort of marketing related to it during New Years 2019 with a photo of Pyra wearing a kimono.

It feels surreal as **** to say this considering I’ve considered her a never-ever for the longest time now, but I honestly think for Xenoblade DLC it’s Fiora or bust.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think the biggest hit to the third parties this time around will be the music.

With the lower budget I feel like well get around the same number as Dragon quest or a little less.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think the biggest hit to the third parties this time around will be the music.

With the lower budget I feel like well get around the same number as Dragon quest or a little less.
Honestly, I'm happy with 8-10 songs, enough to get some variety. Any moreso is simply a blessing.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

I mean, most DLC characters don't get past fifteen music tracks and Terry's set already dwarfed all the other DLC characters. Having between eight and eleven tracks isn't that much of an issue.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be clear, the budget might not affect the actual content. It might be indiscernible from last time. The only casualties might just be the more frequent release schedule and the number of people on board. It's too early to tell.

So what do you think are the odds for the third party companies (Atlus, Square, Microsoft, and SNK) that got rep in FP1 getting another rep in FP2?
Square seems plausible, Microsoft possible, and the other two quite unlikely imo.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Sounds like a perfect reason to add Reimu so she can bring 25 musics wither her for dirt cheap.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So what do you think are the odds for the third party companies (Atlus, Square, Microsoft, and SNK) that got rep in FP1 getting another rep in FP2?
I think it depends. SNK pretty much had any of their top tiers already represented in some way with Terry's content. I don't think we'll see more from them. While I don't think we'll get SMT content from Atlus, Sega still has other franchises to draw from.

SE and Microsoft are a possibility imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Having Rex at this point would feel really weird, Nintendo has really decreased marketing efforts for Xenoblade 2 with their last time having any sort of marketing related to it during New Years 2019 with a photo of Pyra wearing a kimono.

It feels surreal as **** to say this considering I’ve considered her a never-ever for the longest time now, but I honestly think for Xenoblade DLC it’s Fiora or bust.
My dream is both her AND Elma. Who knows if Elma appears in XCDE, and XCXDE is announced at say E3 (since XCDE is rumored to come out on May 29) we can very easily have both! With DE artwork for Fiora’s Spirit Board and some other X characters for Elma’s Spirit Board.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I would be legitimately surprised if we don't get another Capcom character in this.
Some people said this last time. But I do want more Capcom characters because they honestly have the best collection of franchises next to Nintendo and maybe even more so than Sega, depending on who you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom