• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
He took it with dignity. Eight hours without sleep and a character he didn't want, and all he could feel was egg on his face. He took it so humbly. I honestly felt sad for him.
Yeah PapaGenos' reaction was so bad it was funny. Max's reaction was just depressing. I'm not even the biggest DMC fan and I felt his pain.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Oh well. If he wasn't interested then no point in pretending. Nobody should have to pretend to care about a Smash newcomer just because some people only want to watch fake soulless "hype". Hell you couldnt pay me to act excited for Byleth lol
Papagenos (and no one else, really) is under any obligation to have to like a character or pretend to like one. However, you also have to be a decent sport about the whole thing. If Papagenos went "Well, that sucks, I don't have any attachment to this character and I think there's too many Fire Emblem characters already, so I'm not that excited. Congrats to their fans, though", we wouldn't be discussing him". Instead, he basically went to an extremely hyperbolic rant that didn't accomplish anything, completely ignored any substance of Byleth because Ignited Stamp bad, and went about the entire thing like Sakurai just announced he was removing Banjo from the game.

If you want a good example of someone clearly dissappointed taking the piss of Byleth in a respectful way, Maximilian's the guy. He didn't even try to hide his disappointment from anyone, but he instead used the situation for comedic purposes and wasn't completely shut off from the idea solely on principle.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's funny how the first and last FP characters were the best reveals for me.

It feels nice to start and end it with high notes. They were even the only characters who didn't leak.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
>realizes that the main protagonist of #FE is suspiciously absent from the spirit list and to my knowledge is the only lord that is absent
View attachment 258275
regarding that guy.. i honestly think that is more because, if people though that corrin was a boring character, OH BOY that game protagonist takes teh cake, from an otherwise decently enjoyable game. seriously what a snore fest of a character (i dont even remember his name) he is not a spirit because they are keeping him for something better, he is not a spirit because nobody careeeeees
Oh well. If he wasn't interested then no point in pretending. Nobody should have to pretend to care about a Smash newcomer just because some people only want to watch fake soulless "hype". Hell you couldnt pay me to act excited for Byleth lol
Still regarding papageno's, is not like you cant be dissapointed, again Leffen and max were clearly dissapointed, and whining a lot doesn't make a terrible human being nor you are doing some serious offesne or anything... but whining nonstop about the exact same thing is ANNOYING as hell, a pain to watch and not entretaining at all, and i guess... well... you are after all a youtuber. if people can't see your content withouth being annoyed to death, i guess you have a big problem there? :s

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Any predictions for what first party series, if any, are going to be in Season 2 (avoid saying Fire Emblem for "hoes mad" reasons)? I predict Pokemon and either Metroid or Zelda are going to get a character in Season 2 based on their newest/upcoming releases. If none of those three happen, I don't think Season 2 is getting a first party character.
If anyone says "Zelda doesn't have a consistent cast so they can't get another character" despite Fire Emblem having the same case I'm losing it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Any predictions for what first party series, if any, are going to be in Season 2 (avoid saying Fire Emblem for "hoes mad" reasons)? I predict Pokemon and either Metroid or Zelda are going to get a character in Season 2 based on their newest/upcoming releases. If none of those three happen, I don't think Season 2 is getting a first party character.
If anyone says "Zelda doesn't have a consistent cast so they can't get another character" despite Fire Emblem having the same case I'm losing it.
My money is on Sylux for Season 2 Fighter #5 but I doubt it since Sakurai mentioned the characters were already decided (I think) and Metroid will probably be a no show at E3 again

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
One would thing you'd be talking about the DLC that got announced today but nope you're going all Youtuber drama alert. What are you, tweens?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Papagenos (and no one else, really) is under any obligation to have to like a character or pretend to like one. However, you also have to be a decent sport about the whole thing. If Papagenos went "Well, that sucks, I don't have any attachment to this character and I think there's too many Fire Emblem characters already, so I'm not that excited. Congrats to their fans, though", we wouldn't be discussing him". Instead, he basically went to an extremely hyperbolic rant that didn't accomplish anything, completely ignored any substance of Byleth because Ignited Stamp bad, and went about the entire thing like Sakurai just announced he was removing Banjo from the game.

If you want a good example of someone clearly dissappointed taking the piss of Byleth in a respectful way, Maximilian's the guy. He didn't even try to hide his disappointment from anyone, but he instead used the situation for comedic purposes and wasn't completely shut off from the idea solely on principle.
He's not obligated to be whatever you define as a "decent sport", actually.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I genuinely have no idea who could be in this second pass.
I thought I had Sakurai figured out, but he did a straight troll by surprising me with Byleth since I was expecting a third-party character.
What a strange turn of events where Byleth is the surprise.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They say you learn a lot about a person when they don't get what they want.

I'd say his reaction is very telling of who he actually is behind that Youtube persona, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we see this side of him again sometime.
Absolutely this. Papageno's video was embarrassing in every sense. Like if I didn't know better I'd think it was a parody skit about the worst of the fanbase.

Recording yourself throwing a babyfit because you didn't get your way and making the conscious decision to share such an embarrassing moment with world is something I'll never understand, but it is what it is.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
One would thing you'd be talking about the DLC that got announced today but nope you're going all Youtuber drama alert. What are you, tweens?
I don't think it's that out there to criticize someone who is, for all intents and purposes, an ambassador for Smash speculation for mindlessly enabling one of the worst stereotypes of Smash fans in general.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Was Papagenos really that bad?
His video is basically a 40 minute rant on how Sakurai has Fire Emblem bias and how Byleth is literally the worst possible addition Sakurai could've possibly made.

He's even like "after Banjo I can't be mad about any inclusions", then continues to rant about why he's mad about this inclusion.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Absolutely this. Papageno's video was embarrassing in every sense. Like if I didn't know better I'd think it was a parody skit about the worst of the fanbase.

Recording yourself throwing a babyfit because you didn't get your way and making the conscious decision to share such an embarrassing moment with world is something I'll never understand, but it is what it is.
I mean, the reveal video has a very high dislike ratio for Smash standards.
Clearly, he's not the only one that dislikes Byleth.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Byleth is literally the worst possible addition Sakurai could've possibly made.
I do think Byleth is the worst addition to the pass, but that's only because I'd rate them 6/10, Joker and Hero 7, Banjo 8, and Terry 10.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
My money is on Sylux for Season 2 Fighter #5 but I doubt it since Sakurai mentioned the characters were already decided (I think) and Metroid will probably be a no show at E3 again
Personally, I think Sylux is a lock for Fighter 11 under certain circumstances, those being that Metroid Prime 4 releases in 2021, the last fighter releases in December of that year, and Sylux does indeed turn out to be the main villain or rival and not a red herring, which I'm hopeful for.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
He's not obligated to be whatever you define as a "decent sport", actually.
Considering he runs a YouTube channel about Smash, I do think he's somewhat obligated to look at the characters with a hint of objectivity and not just ignore them because they weren't Arle/Doom Guy/Pyjama Sam/whomever.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I genuinely have no idea who could be in this second pass.
I thought I had Sakurai figured out, but he did a straight troll by surprising me with Byleth since I was expecting a third-party character.
What a strange turn of events where Byleth is the surprise.
Hell, I was laughing my ass during the trailer

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
those being that Metroid Prime 4 releases in 2021,
Games take increasingly longer times to make each generation, and they restarted development in 2019, so...
It could have been worse. Rillaboom.
Indeed. Not because it's a Pokemon, but because it's a continuation of Greninjaroar.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
His video is basically a 40 minute rant on how Sakurai has Fire Emblem bias and how Byleth is literally the worst possible addition Sakurai could've possibly made.

He's even like "after Banjo I can't be mad about any inclusions", then continues to rant about why he's mad about this inclusion.
Man, whatever happened to that "After all I've gotten, nothing could make me mad!" attitude people had? Guess it was nothing but talk in the end for some.

I distinctly remember seeing tons of posts like that, especially here. And yet, here we are.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Pokemon and Zelda are the only ones that I can see happening. If the 2nd Pack's characters were decided around E3, I can't imagine Metroid getting a character considering Metroid Prime 4 was restarted around last January, making it likely that Metroid Prime 4 was still in concept form around E3. Shield and Sword at least have released recently and Breath of the Wild 2 is coming around, so those 2 are the ones with the biggest chance of getting another character in Season 2.
If Spirits don't affect chances, than the other possibilities are Geno and maybe Elma if they want to advertise Xenoblade X for Switch.

Last edited:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I’m back to talk a non-Fire Emblem thing. Forgive me if this has been discussed today, but what stage will be the best to throw Cuphead’s music on?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I mean, the reveal video has a very high dislike ratio for Smash standards.
Clearly, he's not the only one that dislikes Byleth.
So, the fact that the video has alot of dislikes it means it was okay for Papagenos to throw a temper tantrum? If it didn't have as much dislikes then you would criticize it?

And not everyone that was disappointed by Byleth, or any character added to Smash ever, act like he did.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ok, I’m back to talk a non-Fire Emblem thing. Forgive me if this has been discussed today, but what stage will be the best to throw Cuphead’s music on?
Yoshi's Island Brawl, if misc. songs were still allowed on stages like that.

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Also, I’d we’re talking PapaGenos, I 100% went through the exact same emotions while watching the showcase live.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
For the record, I don't hate Byleth despite my negative comments.
I just find him extremely anticlimactic as Fighter 5 given the fact that
1. It's the final character of the pass.
2. We've been waiting 4 1/2 months for the reveal.

Overall, I give the pass a B. It definitely peaked at Banjo, but I'd literally buy "Stick man with hitboxes" as I plan to purchase ALL content for this am amazing game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Looking at Cuphead's setting and the music, I think Pilotwings, Living Room, Wrecking Crew and/or Wuhu Island would fit. Pilotwings would probably be the most fitting as Cuphead does have shoot-em up sections where you are flying a plane.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Pokemon and Zelda are the only ones that I can see happening. If the 2nd Pack's characters were decided around E3, I can't imagine Metroid getting a character considering Metroid Prime 4 was restarted around last January, making it likely that Metroid Prime 4 was still in concept form around E3. Shield and Sword at least have released recently and Breath of the Wild 2 is coming around, so those 2 are the ones with the biggest chance of getting another character in Season 2.
If Spirits don't affect chances, than the other possibilities are Geno and maybe Elma if they want to advertise Xenoblade X for Switch.
I believe that if Smash were to have a Xenoblade X character, it's going to be the avatar. With the luck characters like Chrom have had in the past against avatars, that's the most likely scenario, assuming that X is even getting ported at all.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's my wishlist for Fighter Pass 2:
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Waluigi (Mario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
6. Nergigante (Monster Hunter)

Last edited:

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I blame Dante and Crash tbh. I don't know what the hell people would expect before them, but if it wasn't for those two, expectations wouldn't skyrocket to the goddamn sky. Granted, people would still be mad that it's 'JuSt AnOtHeR aNimE sWoRdSmaN FiRe EmBlEm CHcArAcTeR' but a Three Houses inclusion is...asinine to think shouldn't exist. I mean...isn't it like one of the best selling games? Some other thing Idk, Xenoblade or something was deconfirmed for being recent, yada yada. Whatever. idk. Point is, SOMETHING from Three Houses was to be expected....same goes for the goddamn rage towards it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I’m happy with Byleth. Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem game, and it’s nice that we finally have a character (let alone a Fire Emblem character) that uses a lance and axe. Also 6 more characters! That’s insane!

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I’m happy with Byleth. Three Houses is my favorite Fire Emblem game, and it’s nice that we finally have a character (let alone a Fire Emblem character) that uses a lance and axe. Also 6 more characters! That’s insane!
And that's another thing. People calling Blythe 'just another goddamn Marth.' You mind telling me when Marth can use a spear, an axe, and a bow throughout their entire moveset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom