• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Again, I hate to be the guy to say this, but let's chill a little bit. This is getting close to becoming just straight up insults, and I don't think mods would take too kindly to that.
We already went there with "emo Goth loser" for someone liking Joker lol

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Don't forget about SNK Arcade Classics Collection on the Wii. That's how I knew about Terry and SNK in general before Smash.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
You know, I find myself coming to this site out of habit. Open a new window, type "smash" into the search bar and let Firefox carry me here for another hit.

Smash speculation really is like a bad drug. I come here expecting to find a high only to find another inane argument by people who can't use Google to research basic points.

It just gets disappointing after a while.
Are you saying I can't use Bing, the superior search engine, to fact check??

volbound1700

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
Volbound just seems rather young mentally tbh. Y’all arguing with him is silly.
Says the guy that defends Joker.

I see it now. You are probably not old enough to play Doom or Halo. You know, REAL game series that people actually love.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Are you saying I can't use Bing, the superior search engine, to fact check??
Look man you can use whatever search engine you want. You can get paid to use Bing I think so power to you.

Just research a point before you argue it. I'm not even gonna be that harsh and say you have to know a bunch or everything to argue, but at least know something.

Don't go into an argument with just your own unsubstantiated opinions. You just look stupid doing that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Wait, ****, Lesley deleted her account? Heh heh heh, well, that's one end to this arc.

Still, I need to know. Ben Holt Ben Holt maybe you can help me out. Is she happy or not?

Well yeah, it says Ass twice.

No I don't care that N3ON did this joke before I did I thought of it before reading her post it's only fair
Sorry. I just now got off work.
But Lesley flipped out and friend dumped me after I told her to prepare for Dante.
She all but called me a sexist, unfollowed me here and blocked me on Twitter.
But on Switch, she's been playing Three Houses, so I would assume that she's happy with Byleth.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Why don't we just add a character from Action 52. Cheetahman would be a good representative. It is about on par with the DLC we have gotten so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We already went there with "emo Goth loser" for someone liking Joker lol
Not even for liking Joker specifically, using him as an example of how Nintendo's business strategy works.

I see it now. You are probably not old enough to play Doom or Halo. You know, REAL game series that people actually love.
Wait I thought people primarily loved Pokemon according to your list, does Pokemon not count despite being at the top of your list?

Tony Scott

Smash Rookie

I like Halo, Doom, Persona, and many other games. They are very good games. I hope you get the chance to experience other very good games whether they be big or small as most video games are pretty fun. =)

D

Deleted member

You know I do wonder why don't people actually just take a breath, relax a bit, consider there are 6 more newcomers in development and just move on after indicating disappointment once?

I understand that there are some characters people might feel disappointed with but I dont need to be reminded of disappointment or why x character should not be in the roster.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

AxelBruh.png

bro he was on your side he just wanted this to end

you're clearly trolling at this point but I'll admit that second part got a chuckle out of me so I'm gonna give props where it's due

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Look man you can use whatever search engine you want. You can get paid to use Bing I think so power to you.

Just research a point before you argue it. I'm not even gonna be that harsh and say you have to know a bunch or everything to argue, but at least know something.

Don't go into an argument with just your own unsubstantiated opinions. You just look stupid doing that.
I agree completely. I was just being sarcastic.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
[QUOTE="Animegamingnerd, post: 23791220, member: 344193"This

Terry has a long history on Nintendo then Sonic does.

Yes Konami and Capcom mismanage Mega Man and Castlevania, but nowhere near as bad Sega did with all of its franchises. For ****s sake Sonic is a franchise that has had way more bad games then Mega Man or Castlevania, you and I both know that.[/QUOTE]

Just want to point out that Sonic has nowhere near as many bad games as people claim there are. Are there bad games? Sure, but the good or at least decent ones far outweigh the bad ones

Edit: what happened to this quote?

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Let's be honest, in US (biggest gaming market), RPGs are already a partially niche market. The live-action RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Witcher have been more successful. Final Fantasy is probably the most dominate turn based strategy. Tales and Dragon Quest are decently popular as well but you are starting to get more niche. Fire Emblem probably comes in after them.

First-Person Shooters dominate consoles. Right now, for example, Doom is dominate. I had PS3, I saw Unchartered, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc. Those were the big franchises. Never heard of Persona.

PC is dominated by strategy (Starcraft, Civilization, Total War, Europa Universal, Sim City, Space 4xs, etc.)

Nintendo series are dominated by Nintendo 1st party platforms, Sonic games, Ports, Square-Enix Series.

Xbox has Halo, Gears of War, Fallout, etc.

Yes, I know gaming. You can't deny all of these franchises above dominate the media. Go to IGN, Gamespy, etc. The only time that I ever heard of Joker was Smash. Literally.
A lot of this is pretty outdated. Especially what you think dominates PC. Also, Sonic has never dominated on Nintendo, where did you get that idea? Square also doesn't even put their biggest projects on Nintendo hardware either. Fallout isn't a Microsoft exclusive, and TBH if you follow any news about gaming since 2017 and haven't heard of Persona at all at least in passing, that's pretty dang impressive.

Whatever, though. You seem pretty resolved, I doubt anyone's gonna change your mind regardless of what is and isn't accurate information.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Let's be honest, in US (biggest gaming market), RPGs are already a partially niche market. The live-action RPGs like Elder Scrolls, Diablo, Witcher have been more successful. Final Fantasy is probably the most dominate turn based strategy. Tales and Dragon Quest are decently popular as well but you are starting to get more niche. Fire Emblem probably comes in after them.

First-Person Shooters dominate consoles. Right now, for example, Doom is dominate. I had PS3, I saw Unchartered, Left 4 Dead, Borderlands, Bioshock, etc. Those were the big franchises. Never heard of Persona.

PC is dominated by strategy (Starcraft, Civilization, Total War, Europa Universal, Sim City, Space 4xs, etc.)

Nintendo series are dominated by Nintendo 1st party platforms, Sonic games, Ports, Square-Enix Series.

Yes, I know gaming. You can't deny all of these franchises above dominate the media. Go to IGN, Gamespy, etc. The only time that I ever heard of Joker was Smash. Literally.
I am not even sure what you are trying to get at this point, since Nintendo is a Japanese company with Japanese gamers still being a very key market to them.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
But Lesley flipped out and friend dumped me after I told her to prepare for Dante.
But on Switch, she's been playing Three Houses, so I would assume that she's happy with Byleth.
The way she has acted, I really hope the next 3 characters are Hayabusa, Dante, and Doom Slayer.

(Bonus points if Lloyd, Crash, Phoenix, Monokuma, ect are also in it, but especially those 3)

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
[QUOTE="Animegamingnerd, post: 23791220, member: 344193"This

Terry has a long history on Nintendo then Sonic does.

Yes Konami and Capcom mismanage Mega Man and Castlevania, but nowhere near as bad Sega did with all of its franchises. For ****s sake Sonic is a franchise that has had way more bad games then Mega Man or Castlevania, you and I both know that.
Just want to point out that Sonic has nowhere near as many bad games as people claim there are. Are there bad games? Sure, but the good or at least decent ones far outweigh the bad ones[/QUOTE]

I can't disagree with Sega mismanaging Sonic which has hurt the franchise. However, Sonic is still well known. Heck, he is about to have a movie made with Jim Carey in it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Also, only Nintendo could genuinely fake me out with a Fire Emblem character.
It's as if they planned it that way.
But SIX characters in the next pass?! WHOOP!
Crash, Doom Slayer, Spyro, Dante, Heihachi, and Toad are my picks.
Hopefully Echo Fighters are included with base Fighters, so we can get Coco and Toadette.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to pop in and say "yay for 6 more characters! "

Also, Byleth doesn't look too bad, glad my happiness doesn't depend on a playable character in a freaking video game. That is all.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You know I do wonder why don't people actually just take a breath, relax a bit, consider there are 6 more newcomers in development and just move on after indicating disappointment once?

I understand that there are some characters people might feel disappointed with but I dont need to be reminded of disappointment or why x character should not be in the roster.
I am causing the problems. I am and will always be salty about the Joker pick. I am going to stop talking about it and heed your advice. I will go start a thread for Cheatahman for Smash lol.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Just want to point out that Sonic has nowhere near as many bad games as people claim there are. Are there bad games? Sure, but the good or at least decent ones far outweigh the bad ones
I can't disagree with Sega mismanaging Sonic which has hurt the franchise. However, Sonic is still well known. Heck, he is about to have a movie made with Jim Carey in it.[/QUOTE]
NGL that movie actually looks kinda good.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just wanted to pop in and say "yay for 6 more characters! "

Also, Byleth doesn't look too bad, glad my happiness doesn't depend on a playable character in a freaking video game. That is all.
can you imagine not being so incredibly invested in a video game that a character getting in it can ruin your entire day?

because i sure can't

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know it sounds strange, and it's totally nothing more than a guess based on the limited vantage I have as a fan, but it seems to me, like the DLC budget was not quite the "bottomless pit" people treat it as, where any character would be on the table.

I only say this because, reading volbound's post, I do agree that the characters we got aren't the "top of the charts" (unlike him, I don't have a problem with that), and it strikes me that of the five, characters such as :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: and :ult_terry: probably weren't nearly as costly to license as most of the past third-parties. Even if Ryu Hayabusa was intended for this pack, I'd group him with those three, rather than :ulthero:, who, based on series stature and company, I would guess, was an exception, and more in line with past inclusions, price-wise. And obviously Byleth is first-party.

Of course some of the budget was also relegated to the trailers, which the DLC last time didn't really have to the same production level, but on the whole, it really wouldn't surprise me if some of what dictated these choices over others was the price tag.

It'll be interesting, going forward, if the trend of primarily b and c-tier third-party IP continues over the remaining a-tiers.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Crash, Doom Slayer, Spyro, Dante, Heihachi, and Toad are my picks.
Replace Doom Slayer with Dragonborn, Dante with Phenix Wright, and Heihachi with prince of All Cosmos, and you've got a perfect pass in my eyes! x3 Honestly, nice to see Toad get some more attention, I'm honestly shocked that he isn't playable yet.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I am causing the problems. I am and will always be salty about the Joker pick. I am going to stop talking about it and heed your advice. I will go start a thread for Cheatahman for Smash lol.
Cheetahmen for Smash?

Why is it that the craziest ideas always pique my interest?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post
You’re such a child. We don’t have time go waste for kids like you.

everyone just ignore this kid.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Speaking of, genuine question, if you bought the pass, when did you buy it and do you regret it? If you regret it, was it because of more than 1 character, which would easily make you feel like you wasted money?
Shortly before Joker's release. No use buying it before, after all.

I don't regret it because I went into it with the logic that anything Sakurai added would be a good idea in execution, and that's pretty much what I got. Everyone got love, and everyone was justified in being picked, and that's the kind of passion/knowledge that I appreciate from Sakurai. Plus, I found myself buying all of Smash 4's DLC too back then, and I really did not like how there wasn't a discounted bundle option for that.

Honest to god, I trust Sakurai's opinions on games way more than I trust anyone in Smash community's opinion on anything at this point.
The man plays more games in a week than most people play in a year. I'd trust his knowledge over the casual observer's opinion any day.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The way she has acted, I really hope the next 3 characters are Hayabusa, Dante, and Doom Slayer.

(Bonus points if Lloyd, Crash, Phoenix, Monokuma, ect are also in it, but especially those 3)
Nah man. Though Doom Slayer and Dante are in my top 5. Hayabusa is also cool but I wouldn't lose sleep without him.
But I'd never want a character just to spite someone.
Lesley is very clearly troubled. And I don't burn bridges, so she's welcome to be my friend again when she apologizes.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
The issue with Sega representation in Smash its kind of Sega's fault for killing or mismanaging pretty all of their franchises during the 2000's and early to mid 2010's to the point that a lot of them fell out of public consciousness.
You can say that for plenty of smash characters though

Sakurai clearly likes Sega, he collects figures of Opa Opa, Thunderforce, and Afterburner, wanted Sega to make the Sega AGES ports on switch, and owns millions of sega games in his house. even went on to say Puyo Puyo is best example of a multiplayer game or something like that.

its just bizarre why its taking so long to permit a genuine Sega character thats not just Sonic. Like all the characters that I affiliate Sega with for the longest time (Golden Axe, Puyo Puyo, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, NiGHTS, Space Channel 5, Fantasy Zone, Panzer Dragoon, Super Monkey Ball, etc) and like not a single mention of them anywhere but instead we have uh Bayonetta and Joker????

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Doom 2016 sales: 2 million on PC, consoles not reported, circa 2017.
Final Fantasy XV sales: 8.9 million, not counting Pocket Edition, circa last year.

You mention live-action RPGs. They're action RPGs, except Diablo which is a dungeon crawler.

Your vision of Europe is completely reductionist and ignores the huge console market that's also there. The games that are popular in the US are also popular there, they aren't all PC freaks playing just Civ and 4Xs. And needless to say, they have their own breakouts (Bayonetta, for example).

When you talk about Nintendo, you're basically talking about Switch as pre-Wii U their consoles weren't port machines. Also lmao at Sonic games dominating in this day and age. And Square Enix releases just their B-catalogue on Nintendo (thankfully their B catalogue is in many aspects better than their AAA games).

You don't know about games. You're a parody. A caricature. You seem like a guy ripped straight from an Xbox Live Arcade commercial. You don't care about history, you don't care about influence, you don't care about anything other than what was blatantly popular and in your face in a bygone era and can't accept that things were different before then, things are different now, and things will be different tomorrow.

Sounds like a great human being

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
please say sike

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice

Persona isn't a real video game series? Damn, I wonder what I was doing for all of those hours if it wasn't playing a video game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Replace Doom Slayer with Dragonborn, Dante with Phenix Wright, and Heihachi with prince of All Cosmos, and you've got a perfect pass in my eyes! x3 Honestly, nice to see Toad get some more attention, I'm honestly shocked that he isn't playable yet.
I find it extremely odd that we have EIGHT Fire Emblem characters before Waluigi, Toad, Dixie, Bandana Waddle Dee, Impa, Skull Kid, and Midna.
I already posted my Nintendo picks, but here they are again:
First Party DLC.png

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I know it sounds strange, and it's totally nothing more than a guess based on the limited vantage I have as a fan, but it seems to me, like the DLC budget was not quite the "bottomless pit" people treat it as, where any character would be on the table.

I only say this because, reading volbound's post, I do agree that the characters we got aren't the "top of the charts" (unlike him, I don't have a problem with that), and it strikes me that of the five, characters such as :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: and :ult_terry: probably weren't nearly as costly to license as most of the past third-parties. Even if Ryu Hayabusa was intended for this pack, I'd group him with those three, rather than :ulthero:, who, based on series stature and company, I would guess, was an exception, and more in line with past inclusions, price-wise. And obviously Byleth is first-party.

Of course some of the budget was also relegated to the trailers, which the DLC last time didn't really have to the same production level, but on the whole, it really wouldn't surprise me if some of what dictated these choices over others was the price tag.

It'll be interesting, going forward, if the trend of primarily b and c-tier third-party IP continues over the remaining a-tiers.
Even if these characters would have been cheaper, I doubt they were picked because they were cheap. It'd be sad if, say, Banjo and Kazooie were picked because they were cheap and not because they've been requested for ages.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Persona isn't a real video game series? Damn, I wonder what I was doing for all of those hours if it wasn't playing a video game.
You're actually in a dream. You need to wake up. It's been 15 years. The accident was not your fault, Scholar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom