• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I'm just excited to see who it is. Glad we are going in blind for once. Anyone know the best way to watch the direct unspoiled after it airs? I have class from 6-10 and won't be able to watch it until after.
Just safe the stream link somewhere and then go straight to it and don't look at the comments (if Nintendo even enables them on YT).

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Just safe the stream link somewhere and then go straight to it and don't look at the comments (if Nintendo even enables them on YT).
Thanks, that's the plan, I just hope they don't update the thumbnail or title/description giving away the fighter.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
What was the joke? Did I miss it?
Matt basically used a quote from the game, then followed up with a swift crush of the soul saying that’s all for now.

“I’m sure you’ve got time for one more game?... but that’s all for now. Check back on the 30th of January and 13th of February.”

Dante said that before you fight Vergil for the second time in DMC3.

Hopes dashed against the rocks lol.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What was the joke? Did I miss it?
He said and I quote: I know you're thinking "I'm sure you have time for one more game"

Considering Matt is well aware people want Dante in Smash as he was asked about it before DMC even hit the Switch, it seems obvious to me he's just messing with fans who expect Dante for another announcement today

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sabi also said that it isn't Dante.
If that's true, I hope it's Crash or Doom Slayer.
Both fit the orangish brown background.
. . .You do realize that Sabi also said that it's neither of those two? Citing Sabi as evidence while hoping for characters they deconfirmed is rather silly.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
. . .You do realize that Sabi also said that it's neither of those two? Citing Sabi as evidence while hoping for characters they deconfirmed is rather silly.
I know, but Sabi said it wasn't Dante TODAY. Or yesterday. Extremely recently. I suck with time.

D

Deleted member

I flipped a coin to determine my instincts whether it's Dante or Doom Guy.

It landed on Kratos.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
After a little thought, I have decided that I shall enter the Direct expecting Steve from Minecraft.

In a macro sense, revealing that the final reveal was Minecraft, after all the worrying and doubting, would be one of the biggest hype deflations imaginable. And yet, it would also be impossible to argue with its inclusion, just as it is impossible to argue with Minecraft's placing in so many Top 10 Games of the Decade lists. A very significant decision, and understandable to keep under wraps.

On the flipside, Steve's moveset potential has always been intriguing at the very least, which would guarantee that Smash gets a fun roster addition at the very least.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....alright, truthfully, I don't know who it's going to be. We have so much to work with, and yet we still have no sure bets as to who it's going to be:
  • DLC was finalized in late 2018, so the candidate would have to be valid in that time frame.
  • Reggie assured us that all the Fighters Pass newcomers would be "characters new to the series, just like Joker". This has held true for all four of them.
  • Vergeben and Sabi's long deconfirmation lists. Namco, Level-5, Reimu, Arle, Crash, Sora, and all the good Capcom reps are just a few of those deconfirmed.
  • The fact that Nintendo didn't air this character's reveal in The Game Awards, and is instead only giving them only about a month to be hyped up, assuming they aren't going to be shadowdropped later. Who wouldn't have been fit to be announced there?
  • Sakurai's weird pose. I know it could just be him being silly, but I can't help but wonder if it's relevant.
  • Zippo's statement that the character would be "kinda sorta" Nintendo, implying a character that people commonly identify as a Nintendo franchise despite not being owned by Nintendo
How do we still not know at this point? Why are we instead lead around by blatant coincidences like with KOS-MOS and potentially Dante? I thought we spent years doing this, learning all that would be relevant for the argument - but when Sakurai himself challenges the internet to dare guess who it's going to be, we don't have a sure answer. It may as well be that crazy Hanafuda concept, for all we know.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
If that deconfirmation list is correct, Vergeben is going through one hell of a redemption arc.
If he's wrong, it's completely over for him.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I somewhat have a feeling today's Fighter #5 reveal would be someone no one would've expected. Either ways, we will find out eventually in under three and a half hours time.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Matt basically used a quote from the game, then followed up with a swift crush of the soul saying that’s all for now.

“I’m sure you’ve got time for one more game?... but that’s all for now. Check back on the 30th of January and 13th of February.”

Dante said that before you fight Vergil for the second time in DMC3.

Hopes dashed against the rocks lol.
To me that sounds like a complete new game in the DMC franchise.
If Dante's in Smash then he'd contradict himself since new infos will be shared on January 30th/February 13th.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
After a little thought, I have decided that I shall enter the Direct expecting Steve from Minecraft.

In a macro sense, revealing that the final reveal was Minecraft, after all the worrying and doubting, would be one of the biggest hype deflations imaginable. And yet, it would also be impossible to argue with its inclusion, just as it is impossible to argue with Minecraft's placing in so many Top 10 Games of the Decade lists. A very significant decision, and understandable to keep under wraps.

On the flipside, Steve's moveset potential has always been intriguing at the very least, which would guarantee that Smash gets a fun roster addition at the very least.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....alright, truthfully, I don't know who it's going to be. We have so much to work with, and yet we still have no sure bets as to who it's going to be:
  • DLC was finalized in late 2018, so the candidate would have to be valid in that time frame.
  • Reggie assured us that all the Fighters Pass newcomers would be "characters new to the series, just like Joker". This has held true for all four of them.
  • Vergeben and Sabi's long deconfirmation lists. Namco, Level-5, Reimu, Arle, Crash, Sora, and all the good Capcom reps are just a few of those deconfirmed.
  • The fact that Nintendo didn't air this character's reveal in The Game Awards, and is instead only giving them only about a month to be hyped up, assuming they aren't going to be shadowdropped later. Who wouldn't have been fit to be announced there?
  • Sakurai's weird pose. I know it could just be him being silly, but I can't help but wonder if it's relevant.
  • Zippo's statement that the character would be "kinda sorta" Nintendo, implying character that people commonly identify as a Nintendo franchise despite not being owned by Nintendo
How do we still not know at this point? Why are we instead lead around by blatant coincidences like with KOS-MOS and potentially Dante? I thought we spent years doing this, learning all that would be relevant for the argument - but when Sakurai himself challenges the internet to dare guess who it's going to be, we don't have a sure answer. It may as well be that crazy Hanafuda concept, for all we know.
That last bullet point makes things really difficult.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm heading to bed now. Got my alarm set to five minutes before the presentation.
Three hours, people.

SKX31

Smash Master
Nah, it's Markiplier pretending to be Scott.
There's only one way to find out. Namely, daring whoever this is to incorporate "Farming Simulator is an e-sport" into the next video somehow.

No really, $250K Farming Simulator League.

I somewhat have a feeling today's Fighter #5 reveal would be someone no one would've expected. Either ways, we will find out eventually in under three and a half hours time.
Yeah, I can't help but to think so too. I can only imagine the reactions if it's a character seen as promotional or under the radar Sakurai favorite.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If that deconfirmation list is correct, Vergeben is going through one hell of a redemption arc.
If he's wrong, it's completely over for him.
Pretty sure that people would still go "He's fake and made everything up!!!!" if the kill list turns out to be true.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
People have been begging for DMCV to get DLC so a new installment isn't happening yet
They need to release Vergil DLC so we can play as him.

Due to the style switch that’s going to be implemented for DMC3 SE, that’s going to make it the best DMC hands down.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Oh boy Jon is at it again.

Hopefully I didn't screw up and this has already been mentioned.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I think is a Hollow Knight rep, hear me why:

This franchise has not been popular neather in leaks or speculation, so if someone suddenly leaks it when anybody does it will be easier for nintendo to know from where the information comes, so is dangerous to leak or talk about it.

Team cherry and Nintendo have a good relationship, since Nintendo had been promoting Hollow Knight Silksong a lot, more than other Indies I think, and also Team Cherry is the only indie company that they mention as a partner in their Chinese presentation for the market of that country.

Also he is relevant in Japan, sellong extremly well there to the point that a limited edition of the game in japanese has been requested by the fans and is now on the works.

Hollow Knight have also sell extremly well, by february of 2019 it sold around 2.8 million copies, while other indie franchise like shovel knight, only manage to sell 2.65 million by september of 2019, and it has been in the market longer than Hollow Knight.

So if what Vergeben and Zipo said is correct, I think the Knight could be very likely to end the foghter pass.

All this could be aplied to Hornet as well, but i am more doubtfull for her.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My predictions still.

Hoping: Crash, Doom Slayer or Phoenix Wright
Expecting: Arle or KOS-MOS (I don't believe Vergeben anymore)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Oh boy Jon is at it again.

Hopefully I didn't screw up and this has already been mentioned.
Funnily, in that video, they mention shantae, and the whole video plays shantae music... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :p

Just over 2 hours to go and not a single leak. We may actually go into this completely blind. Thats pretty awesome! I'm still betting on Shantae with a bonus Geno, but I am also expecting probably Arle or some other female rep

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm not the one to look into patterns, but the more I look at the first four fighters pass characters the more I realize that they were probably chosen with the mindset of being the last additions Sakurai would ever add to Smash. Keep in mind that before we got confirmation of post pass content, these were indeed gonna be the last characters, and I'm personally not expecting Sakurai to return for the next Smash.

All of em have this very grandiose finale feel to me, and I feel like #5 will be a similar case

Joker - Persona 5 being a personal fav of Sakurai's
Hero - One of the few remaining blockbuster franchises yet to be added at that point, as a well as a huge deal in Japan
Banjo - A long time fan demand that was once seen as pretty much impossible
Terry - KoF '95 being the main reason we even have Smash in the first place

After going through a couple candidates, Gonna lock my bets and say Fighter 5 is Travis Touchdown

In a similar fashion to Sakurai's good relationship with Kojima being the main reason we got snake, I think we'll be getting Travis thanks to being good buddies with Suda51. Heck, he apparently even helped out a bit with Brawl. If this were to have been his last character addition I feel like Sakurai would want to throw his good friend a bone before he's done with Smash potentially forever. Not to mention it'd be excellent synergy assuming No More Heroes III is coming out later this year

idk could be overthinking things, but I'm placing my bets on Travis regardless. Only time will tell though

if he's not fighter 5, then most certinally sometime during wave 2

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
The more I look at the first four fighters pass characters the more I realize that they were probably chosen with the mindset of being the last additions Sakurai would ever add to Smash. Keep in mind that before we got confirmation of post pass content, these were indeed gonna be the last characters, and I'm personally not expecting Sakurai to return for the next Smash.

All of em have this very grandiose finale feel to me, and I feel like #5 will be a similar case

Joker - Persona 5 being a personal fav of Sakurai's
Hero - One of the few remaining blockbuster franchises yet to be added at that point, as a well as a huge deal in Japan
Banjo - A long time fan demand that was once seen as pretty much impossible
Terry - KoF '95 being the main reason we even have Smash in the first place

After going through a couple candidates, Gonna lock my bets and say Fighter 5 is Travis Touchdown

In a similar fashion to Sakurai's good relationship with Kojima was the main reason we got snake, I think we'll be getting Travis thanks to being good buddies with Suda51. Heck, he apparently even helped out a bit with Brawl. If this were to have been his last character addition I feel like Sakurai would want to throw his good friend a bone before he's done with Smash potentially forever. Not to mention it'd be excellent synergy assuming No More Heroes III is coming out later this year

idk could be overthinking things, but I'm placing my bets on Travis regardless. Only time will tell though
The idea of potentially throwing a good friend a bone in one of the biggest celebrations of video games ever that would be sweet

Krankees

Smash Ace
You know, it's nice to see that Phoenix is only behind Baboom and "Other" in the poll. Sure the poll excluded a lot of other characters which is why "other" has so many votes and Phoenix could be outvoted by someone like Arle but still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom