• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I too am intrigued by the possibility of Sakurai adapting a puzzle move set into smash, Layton is canonically a master fencer and contraption maker, but I do wonder how Sakurai would chose to do puzzle mechanics.

I try not get myself too work up because Sakurai sometimes makes up stuff (Rebel's Guard) or does it in outlandish ways we could never imagine (Command selection.)
Aside from the obvious sword fighting and slot machine gun, I'd add a lot of feints and mix-ups into Layton, such as giving him a counter that doesn't counter, but rather moves him to the opposite side of the enemy as a set up for any move. That slot machine gun, I'd have its firing strength controlled by a small slider type puzzle that would appear above him, almost like a WarioWare minigame. Faster you solve it, the less vulnerability in using the weapon. Going back to that counter, I'd actually make it so there's a way to make it counterattack, AND a way to make it dodge, AND a way to go into a command grab, essentially adding a rock paper scissors style battle of prediction and analysis of your opponent.

I also wonder about the feasibility about something like a pitfall that's a puzzletrap. Again simple puzzle, WarioWare-esque, faster you solve it the faster you escape being stunned by Layton.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I think again it's worth noting that it's not the pose itself that's a hint but rather it's interesting to wonder what the context of the pose could be considering it's clearly cropped from the video.

Anyway, I think Euden from Dragalia Lost is another slept-on character. I only started considering him because I thought he'd be a bit of a disappointing reveal, but then I realized he's absolutely adorable look at this cute art style he's so cute and can turn into a dragon

click here for cute
The “too many anime swordsmen” complaints will evolve into “too many anime swordsmen that turn into dragons”

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It was a joke edit by Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium . He later added this

interesting that SNK is STILL missing from the copyright list... I think we’ll get a first party character or KOS-MOS. or maybe even Arle or Dante. No new companies basically
Thank god. I think that fans would be not happy if Doomguy became nothing more than a Mii Fighter costume.

Also, I didn't notice that the joke post had a credit for Id Software. I thought that it only had the copyrights for Bethesda and Zenimax.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The problem is that if a new option is put into the middle of the poll, it messes the results up. (if Elma was put as the second-to-last option and Other stayed at the bottom of the list, for example, she'd have the 77 votes that Other originally had, while Other would have zero)
That, plus she's a first party spirit (effectively killing her chances for FP5, IMO) among the third party choices available in the poll.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That, plus she's a first party spirit (effectively killing her chances for FP5, IMO) among the third party choices available in the poll.
ZCX is itself in an odd situation, especially considering that the game has absolutely no music in Ultimate, among other details.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Also she's the awkward middle child between Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and the much more successful Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Her best shot was as the first-party promotional rep in Sm4sh DLC. After that she's just been dead in the water.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
She'd better, because I don't want to be constantly reminded that Tetris only gets 2 songs and some PNGs while Puyo Puyo gets a character, stage, and a whole album of music dedicated to it.
Literally the only memorable parts of Tetris are those 2 songs and rotating blocks, it might be popular but not memorable. Puyo Puyo actually focuses on world and character building, it makes sense for them to get a character before Tetris.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Literally the only memorable parts of Tetris are those 2 songs and rotating blocks, it might be popular but not memorable. Puyo Puyo actually focuses on world and character building, it makes sense for them to get a character before Tetris.
Ah yes. Tetris, the second highest selling game of all time (and the highest selling game for decades before Minecraft just recently took the top spot), is not at all memorable or deeply embedded into popular culture as we know it. Puyo Puyo, a series that is just now seeing a reboot in Japan and only just now getting off the ground in the West is far more memorable and deserving of a spot in Smash. These are totally objective criteria of a series' popularity and not at all something I've made up on the spot to justify my own confirmation bias.

There are definitely arguments for Puyo Puyo over Tetris, but this ain't it chief.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah yes. Tetris, the second highest selling game of all time (and the highest selling game for decades before Minecraft just recently took the top spot), is not at all memorable or deeply embedded into popular culture as we know it. Puyo Puyo, a series that is just now seeing a reboot in Japan and only just now getting off the ground in the West is far more memorable and deserving of a spot in Smash. These are totally objective criteria of a series' popularity and not at all something I've made up on the spot to justify my own confirmation bias.

There are definitely arguments for Puyo Puyo over Tetris, but this ain't it chief.
He's saying that Tetris is not likely to get a character because it has no real characters or world to speak of.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
He's saying that Tetris is not likely to get a character because it has no real characters or world to speak of.
The thesis of his argument is that Tetris isn't memorable compared to Puyo Puyo. That's what I tackled.

Maybe read a post before hitting the quote button.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
For the first time since Joker's reveal, we really have no clue who is getting in next.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Despite there being no real characters, I think a Tetris based fighter could work, but only if you change how it interacts with the game. It could be a unique keepaway character that has the player actually playing Tetris on the stage, and trying to get KOs with the falling block (how you would actually damage and kill the opponent though is... not something I've thought of)

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597

Selling well does not mean your characters should get in first if they are not the main focus of a game, Tetris focuses on gameplay, not characters, as simple as that. (a tetris block would be cute still)

Plus i don't know where you got the idea of Puyo Puyo getting a reboot in Japan, it doesn't need a reboot, it has been doing fine with every new release for a long time, if you are trying to correct me, at least investigate the franchise you are talking about.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Honestly, Puyo Puyo is just more character driven while I can't think of a worthy character other than a sentient L-Block as a WTF kind of choice. I think that's what separates the two apart, especially since the characters in Puyo Puyo were previously in Mado Monogatari, an RPG so there's a lot more someone like Arle can pull from her arsenal if Sakurai would choose.

At least that's how I see it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I did not see Pacman so I got excited for a moment there. Dam you. Preying on my desire to see Doom Slayer in Smash!
It was just a quick little jab at Nintendo for leaking Terry themselves and just a funny way to reply to Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura . I too want Doom Guy since he is a more sensible choice compared to Cortez who is my never ever choice.

Who knows? Maybe I just accidentally leaked Doom Guy. I would like it to be the case.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
ZCX is itself in an odd situation, especially considering that the game has absolutely no music in Ultimate, among other details.
3 2 1 GO

*snare drum*

*overdriven power chords*

Huh uh owoaoaoaowaooao

ya ya ya

1 2 3 4

"bro what the **** is up with your music" (pauses, LRAstart)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Selling well does not mean your characters should get in first if they are not the main focus of a game, Tetris focuses on gameplay not characters, as simple as that.

Plus i don't know where you got the idea of Puyo Puyo getting a reboot in Japan, it doesn't need a reboot, it has been doing fine with every new release for a long time, if you are trying to correct me, at least investigate the franchise you are talking about.
I guess revival or push would've been the better term. Puyo Puyo Tetris released in 2014, Chronicle in 2016, and Champions in 2018. Chronicle and Champions are the two major games they're pushing, especially with Puyo Puyo eSports. The point that Tetris has little room for characters is true, and not what I'm arguing. You said Tetris isn't memorable and I countered that claim. Simple as that.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing here.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Selling well does not mean your characters should get in first if they are not the main focus of a game, Tetris focuses on gameplay not characters, as simple as that.
Clearly, the best way to represent Tetris is to just let you play Tetris, then.

(Really though, can we get a Tetris Effect stage or something, for the visuals?)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm very late to the party but I'll probably have enough time before classes to watch the Smash direct, or at least enough to see the trailer live.

Still calling Porky though.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
anyways guys i think i no who fighter 5 is

marth gun 1.png

its gun marth he is marth but with a gun please look forward to him tomorrow

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
Clearly, the best way to represent Tetris is to just let you play Tetris, then.

(Really though, can we get a Tetris Effect stage or something, for the visuals?)
Actually, that would be fun! (even though i would prefer Puyo, but Tetris is more user-friendly in that regard)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Hi, haven't kept up with this thread in a while, why the **** are we arguing that tetris of all ****in games isn't memorable? You know, the one videogame everyone and their grandmother who calls Pokemon "pokeymans" knows about? **** outta here with that ****, next you're gonna tell me that Mario and Pac-Man are literal whos

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Hello, boomer here! I owned Tetris 2 on NES, and it had a very memorable character that is a perfect candidate. "Slow Curious Alien With Funny Crouch Walk" for Smash! :laugh:

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm not making fun of Tetris or bashing on its chances. I'm literally just an ol' fogey fringing up something from my past. LOL

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Hi, haven't kept up with this thread in a while, why the **** are we arguing that tetris of all ****in games isn't memorable? You know, the one videogame everyone and their grandmother who calls Pokemon "pokeymans" knows about? **** outta here with that ****, next you're gonna tell me that Mario and Pac-Man are literal whos
The sad truth is, in a generation or two, Pac-Man just might be a literal who

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
anyways guys i think i no who fighter 5 is

View attachment 257711

its gun marth he is marth but with a gun please look forward to him tomorrow
YO, what if Intelligent Systems took the turn-based strategy aspects of Fire Emblem but put them in a modern military setting but with less RPG stuff and more cartoony visuals and difficult resource management gameplay? And then the commanders of the armies would all have different powers?

Could you imagine a character like that in Smash Bros?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The sad truth is, in a generation or two, Pac-Man just might be a literal who
Doesn’t he still have games coming out, mostly on mobile? There was a 4-player PAC-MAN game that came out not too long ago on Apple Arcade.

Besides, even if he were to stop having new game releases, he will live on in Smash for as long as Bandai Namco allows it and the director of Smash wills it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
YO, what if Intelligent Systems took the turn-based strategy aspects of Fire Emblem but put them in a modern military setting but with less RPG stuff and more cartoony visuals and difficult resource management gameplay? And then the commanders of the armies would all have different powers?

Could you imagine a character like that in Smash Bros?
no i dont think that exists

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Anyone see the fan video of Toad, Peach, and Samus.

Would not even be mad if that was real.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Saying Tetris wasn't memorable is simlar to people saying Dragon Quest wasn't memorable.

I'm so sorry that Xenosaga was such a more critically-acclaimed classic compared to innovators of the entire industry or whatever you say. :nifty:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I'm fine with whoever as long as it ain't Doom Slayer, Travis, or Dante.

Even if it is one of those three, though? Most I'll feel is mild disappointment and then go about my day 'cause it's just a character in a video game, lol. :p

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Doesn’t he still have games coming out, mostly on mobile? There was a 4-player PAC-MAN game that came out not too long ago on Apple Arcade.

Besides, even if he were to stop having new game releases, he will live on in Smash for as long as Bandai Namco allows it and the director of Smash wills it.
Even so, there's no fanfare to it, the games just kinda... happen. That being said, I'm sure Bamco will be pushing games as much as possible seeing as it's one of the most recognizable game franchises in the world. Forget me then, I'm big wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom