• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Just basic clues essentially. Oh, and the main leaker on Resetera where we got our clues has been publicly backed by Sabi if that means anything.

*Its not a 1st party Nintendo character, but could be confused as one
*Not a popular character (but that's subjective; it could just mean not popular or well known outside of Japan)

I believe that's it. 9am is early, so it won't be too much longer to wait now.

EDIT: The names floating around that people are thinking it could be are Arle (Puyo Puyo series), Professor Layton (All nintendo games, but not technically a 1st part character apparently?), and Dante (mostly based on tweets from VA saying news was coming and one of the days they mentioned was the 16th, but most people are leaving out the fact they said the news was for their game; not about Dante in general).
Didn't Zippo himself walk back on that though?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Just basic clues essentially. Oh, and the main leaker on Resetera where we got our clues has been publicly backed by Sabi if that means anything.

*Not a popular character (but that's subjective; it could just mean not popular or well known outside of Japan)

EDIT: The names floating around that people are thinking it could be are Arle (Puyo Puyo series), Professor Layton (All nintendo games, but not technically a 1st part character apparently?), and Dante (mostly based on tweets from VA saying news was coming and one of the days they mentioned was the 16th, but most people are leaving out the fact they said the news was for their game; not about Dante in general).
Not to open this can of worms again, but...

Wouldn't KOS-MOS fit this bill pretty perfectly? "Could be confused as one" since Monolith is her original creators, and she was in Xenoblade 2 despite being owned by Namco now, and obviously we've discussed Xenosaga's "popularity" to no end here.

Didn't Zippo himself walk back on that though?
He walked back on the character being related to Bayo in some fashion, I believe. Not this.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ayo hol up

the translated tweet said, "I wonder which oracle can predict this fighter..."

your first guess would be a Zelda character because Oracle of Seasons/Ages

but what if i told you

that the emphasis was greater on "predict" than "oracle"...?

who do we know can see the future? what series is he from...?

:ultshulk:

the wind blows hard not in december... but in january...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yeah, if the character really is so synonymous with Nintendo that people will think that it's a Nintendo character it could easily be Professor Layton, merge that with the Brown background behind Sakurai and Layton's Brown aesthetic and you got an easy guess.

If Layton is it... good choice, honestly. Not super obscure, not super popular, and has history with Nintendo.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I want it to be a character that all the insiders and leakers deconfirmed so we never hear from them again. So I'm fine with anyone from this list
sabi and verge.png

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think the series was already considered to be pretty mainstream (in Japan) before those games released, though.

I guess it does feel like SEGA's taking it more seriously as one of their bigger franchises now, so I think I see what you're saying. The way you worded your first post, it sounded like you were saying the series was dead for a while and was just now making a comeback (which isn't the case).

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
You hit the nail right on the head in that I meant to say Sega's taking the series more seriously now. My original phrasing was poor in that regard, so I understand the confusion. My bad on that one.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just want to reiterate one more time that Zippo specifically said he was not a leaker and was only speculating based on other info he had and to not take his word as gospel.

Yes, the Nintendo connection could be possible, but again he said not to take his words as anything more than conjecture. This was further exemplified by him reiterating that when Sabi decided to be an idiot and say "hey guys you can trust zippo because I'm still relevant, you love ol' #sabisqaud am I right?" therefore compromising the dude.

Now a lot of my wanted third parties do fit the Zippo criteria, like Phoenix, Layton, Travis, or even Arle, but again this isn't concrete evidence or a "leak" at all. Please tread carefully.

I'm still feeling Layton or Doomguy in my gut, though.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So really we need it cut straight.

Who has been fully deconfirmed?
And who are the front runners?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As he sips his gatorade, Baboom watches us pitiful mortals from the heavens speculating irrelevant characters instead of hinself.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want it to be a character that all the insiders and leakers deconfirmed so we never hear from them again. So I'm fine with anyone from this listView attachment 257743
interesting that none of them say Nintendo. Verge one said Nintendo (or rather Spirit/AT promotion) was out, but later backtracked and said "not necessarily"

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
While obviously not KOS-MOS, I'll be pretty shocked if this isn't still a Namco character. The lack of newcomer + Mii costumes is already a glaring void when you realize who's developing the game in the first place, and the thought of this stuff being so un-priortized that it would come as part of post-pass DLC (which wasn't necessarily a confirmed thing at the time of the Fighters Pass contents being greenlit) is just weird.

But do feel free to defy my expectations. In fact, I insist!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd be fine with Layton, even if my only connection to him is PLxAA. He's never been in a crossover fighting game before, so his moveset could be interesting.

Bonus points if Phoenix is season 2 and Nintendo essentially makes PLxAA2 happen before Level-5 or Capcom do.

EDIT: Bonus points x2 if Phoenix is season 2 and his trailer references PLxAA with him and Layton standing in front of each other.

Last edited:

Krankees

Smash Ace
While obviously not KOS-MOS, I'll be pretty shocked if this isn't still a Namco character. The lack of newcomer + Mii costumes is already a glaring void when you realize who's developing the game in the first place, and the thought of this stuff being so un-priortized that it would come as part of post-pass DLC (which wasn't necessarily a confirmed thing at the time of the Fighters Pass contents being greenlit) is just weird.

I think something similar to this one is more likely for a victory theme.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I just want to reiterate one more time that Zippo specifically said he was not a leaker and was only speculating based on other info he had and to not take his word as gospel.

Yes, the Nintendo connection could be possible, but again he said not to take his words as anything more than conjecture. This was further exemplified by him reiterating that when Sabi decided to be an idiot and say "hey guys you can trust zippo because I'm still relevant, you love ol' #sabisqaud am I right?" therefore compromising the dude.

Now a lot of my wanted third parties do fit the Zippo criteria, like Phoenix, Layton, Travis, or even Arle, but again this isn't concrete evidence or a "leak" at all. Please tread carefully.

Scenes when Sabi calls Zippo a friend but Zippo says they're maybe an acquaintance.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I see Sabi continues to make up stuff about people and whatever for e-cred.

He walked back on the character being related to Bayo in some fashion, I believe. Not this.
It wasn't that the character was related to Bayonetta, but that they were similar to her in the sense that they were kinda 1st-party but not actually 1st-party. He later said that they could've done well with or without Nintendo (or something like that), though, and basically said to disregard that or something.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So we're less than 24 hours away from the Direct and we know almost as little as we did post-Terry. I must admit, this is making me very curious... how the hell are they keeping this under wraps? What kinda character/company is this for the information to be this sensitive and protected?

And no, before anyone asks, I don't want the character to leak, It's just that this situation is really strange to me. This might be the second time after Joker where a character isn't leaked or rumored at all before their reveal.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Sabi is... irrelevant. Taking all of what they say outta the picture Zippo, Jonneh, ZHuge, Shinobi, all those guys, they're really good friends. It's just common sense to know that they know what eachother know. Zippo is pretty damn reputable but just like those other ones, like Jon, they don't want to be looked at for leaks. Ever.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So we're less than 24 hours away from the Direct and we know almost as little as we did post-Terry. I must admit, this is making me very curious... how the hell are they keeping this under wraps? What kinda character/company is this for the information to be this sensitive and protected?

And no, before anyone asks, I don't want the character to leak, It's just that this situation is really strange to me. This might be the second time after Joker where a character isn't leaked or rumored at all before their reveal.
Isn't obvious. It's because they have fully trained their leaker hitmen by now. They are known as.......................The Lawyers!

Honestly I just want about seven characters and it's one of them, nothing more. Actually just say company and that's it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

>Its strange that the character hasn't leaked yet.

Am I the only one who finds that, kinda sad....?

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I imagine after the Terry screwup, Nintendo is doing their best to keep FP5 a secret, which makes it a bit more exciting.

Though I imagine this will upset a lot of people when they guess wrong who it is and it ends up being someone more obscure or Off-the-wall than they thought it would be.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Ngl, the biggest hit to Doomguy/Bethesda rep imo is the fact that Bethesda somehow managed to keep him from leaking.

Terrible reasoning, but aren't they kinda known for leaks?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
>Its strange that the character hasn't leaked yet.

Am I the only one who finds that, kinda sad....?
Yeah, kinda. I made a post the other day basically compiling third party leaks and every company so far had at least one character leaked before reveal.

I think the only two third party characters that really came out of nowhere so far were Snake back in Brawl and Joker at TGA. That's it. Everyone else had at least something pointing to them.

Which... yeah, it's kinda sad.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

You could say the same thing about the missing Geno Mii costume and Chocobo hat. In fact they're an even more glaring omission considering that Hero arrived without them, being a Square Enix character and all.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah, if the character really is so synonymous with Nintendo that people will think that it's a Nintendo character it could easily be Professor Layton, merge that with the Brown background behind Sakurai and Layton's Brown aesthetic and you got an easy guess.
Being confused as a 1st Party Nintendo character as in being a common game series on Nintendo systems? Or as in you would expect that character to be a Nintendo character due to their appearance rather than game series?
-If for having either alot of games or mostly games on Nintendo systems:
  1. Level 5 characters like Layton, Jibanyan and that Level-5 Soccer game would fit.
  2. Etrian Odyssey is a series that only has games on Nintendo systems.
  3. The World Ends with You is also mostly Nintendo-exclusive.
  4. Bravely Default and it's successors too.
  5. Phoenix Wright has a whack ton of history with Nintendo.
  6. Scribblenauts has a lot of history with Nintendo too.
  7. Tales of Symphonia has history with Nintendo, due to it and it's sequel being Nintendo exclusive at first.
-If it's for looking like a character whose design would make you think they were a Nintendo character....that's alot harder to pinpoint cause you practically have the whole Indie section of games and other early Platformer characters like Klonoa, Ristar, Nights, etc.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In fact they're an even more glaring omission considering that Hero arrived without them, being a Square Enix character and all.
I guess they only made a deal with Bird Studio for characters for Mii costumes and not Square-Enix themselves?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I still think there's a small chance that two characters will be revealed, one the final pass character, the other being the fist post pass character and that's why everyone's so cagey, not wanting to get who's number 5 and who's number 1 of the rest wrong.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I figured I'd share this rumor because there's really no real way to prove it and it's just kind of goofy anyways. According to one of my contacts, Arle is kind of a meme with Smash insiders. The story he shared is that Nintendo always wanted a new SEGA rep for DLC but they wanted someone from a new franchise. Supposedly they narrowed it down to two and presented this to Sakurai and the development team: Persona or Puyo Pop. Needless to say, Persona won by a landslide, especially with Sakurai's favor in tow. That said, it's rumored that Arle became a meme because it was BTFO that hard. On this note, I will say I don't know if Papa is being genuine or he's memeing and that's none of my business. He's a friend of mine and he can support whatever he wants but I figured I'd share this story because people ask me "WTF is up with Arle" all the time.
Wait, contacts? Did you not get out of the "insider" game? Why do you still have contacts?

-Oh God... So many incest dog whistles...
So... the entire franchise?

Like, the incest in Sacred Stones is far more overt than anything in Fates.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ngl, the biggest hit to Doomguy/Bethesda rep imo is the fact that Bethesda somehow managed to keep him from leaking.

Terrible reasoning, but aren't they kinda known for leaks?
I mean, if it is Doomguy then technically he was leaked because of that Mii Costume video. Unless of course, he’s in but the video is fake. If it weren’t for the insiders saying it’s not him he’d probably be viewed as the most likely candidate for tomorrow’s reveal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I mean, if it is Doomguy then technically he was leaked because of that Mii Costume video. Unless of course, he’s in but the video is fake. If it weren’t for the insiders saying it’s not him he’d probably be viewed as the most likely candidate for tomorrow’s reveal.
Funny how their word holds up for Geno and Doomguy but not for other characters.

Honestly we are in the same position we were in as we were after Terry's reveal with the slight change of knowing it's not the Astral Chain protags.

D

Deleted member

Wait, contacts? Did you not get out of the "insider" game? Why do you still have contacts?

So... the entire franchise?

Like, the incest in Sacred Stones is far more overt than anything in Fates.
Don't buy what he's selling; he doesn't have anything and never did.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Tried to get out, got pulled back in. Basically during the whole Sabi thing back in November A LOT of people messaged me with stories of their own and, uh... I now have four insider contacts. The irony is enough to fill a stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom