• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also which Dante is this?
View attachment 257581
Because this Dante needs to burn.
It's the one most people refer to as Donte. He's appeared in Playstation All Stars: Battle Royale and is an alternate costume in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.

I also saw a hilarious video that placed Mexican style music over the Spanish version of the game. I won't post a link here though since the boss he's fighting is really gross.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Been away from discussion for quite a long time; it's hard to jump back into such an active topic and have a clue as to what people are mainly discussing at the moment, so I'll just comment on the poll.

Honestly, I have no idea who I think it could be this time. I'd absolutely love for it to be Lloyd (was a dreaming Tales of Symphonia fan back in the Brawl character reveal days), but I have felt that Geno would be a really cool niche character to end this pass with (before knowing about more characters coming), 'cause of how many loyal fans there have been along the way. Not saying I think it'll actually be him either, though.

Also, don't know if it's okay to share this here, but I made an incredibly silly and cheesy gif out of that funny Sakurai pose. x)
Illusive Sakurai.gif

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So lets say tomorrow Nintendo screws up and accidentally leaks about the DLC fighter again but do they think they will leak it?
Depends on if it's accidental or not. In dire circumstances, maybe, but if not, who can say that happens?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Been away from discussion for quite a long time; it's hard to jump back into such an active topic and have a clue as to what people are mainly discussing at the moment, so I'll just comment on the poll.

Honestly, I have no idea who I think it could be this time. I'd absolutely love for it to be Lloyd (was a dreaming Tales of Symphonia fan back in the Brawl character reveal days), but I have felt that Geno would be a really cool niche character to end this pass with (before knowing about more characters coming), 'cause of how many loyal fans there have been along the way. Not saying I think it'll actually be him either, though.

Also, don't know if it's okay to share this here, but I made an incredibly silly and cheesy gif out of that funny Sakurai pose. x)
View attachment 257598
Pictured: Sakurai the Nintendo Ninja sneaking around in his pursuit of a leaker.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ok. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's 50% Dante.
The DMC developer SPECIFICALLY mentioned this date.
If there's no Nintendo Direct, just a Smash reveal, then I'd say that's a bit too much of a coincidence.
I was all in on team KOS-MOS due to how she made Sabi and Vergeben squirm. I stated then that I would hold that position until greater evidence arises.
This is greater evidence. I voted for Dante.

@Lesley Black Velvet please forgive me.
b3df209f-a329-4a04-83d1-c7434c62f175.gif

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Going to Travis, I think bring up this little tid bit.
Nintendo straight up asked Suda to make a new No More Heroes for the Switch.
eorqq_sx0aaom1czpkfc.jpg

Travis was at the very least on that list they made that Sakurai choose from, I imagine.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If there's no Nintendo Direct, just a Smash reveal, then I'd say that's a bit too much of a coincidence.
I was all in on team KOS-MOS due to how she made Sabi and Vergeben squirm. I stated then that I would hold that position until greater evidence arises.

View attachment 257604
If we were getting a general Nintendo Direct on the 16th, it would make sense for the DMC-related tweet mentioning that date to just be referring to the Devil May Cry 3 Switch port being featured (and possibly something else, like an announcement for a Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition Switch port)... but we're getting a Smash presentation instead, so if it's not just one giant coincidence...

Also, I'm sure Lesley will forgive you... as long as you say the magic word.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
All this talk of Dante reminds me - PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale was a thing.

I can't believe Nintendo shamelessly ripped off PSASBR with their "Super Smash Brothers Ultimate" game.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Guys, I think Sakurai's three fingers really may have been a hint...
Ladies and gents... our second Sonic character.
Bush with eyes is in! Easily the most iconic Sonic character bar Sonic himself, and yet he's not in Smash in any way, shape or form! Not even an Assist Trophy!

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
If we were getting a general Nintendo Direct on the 16th, it would make sense for the DMC-related tweet mentioning that date to just be referring to the Devil May Cry 3 Switch port being featured (and possibly something else, like an announcement for a Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition Switch port)... but we're getting a Smash presentation instead, so if it's not just one giant coincidence...
Another coincidence is that maybe the person who made the DMC tweet is just a fan of Smash/Nintendo and just telling us that something in general was happening on that day.

soada7x

Smash Rookie

View attachment 257604

Also, I'm sure Lesley will forgive you... as long as you say the magic word.
WHY do people think this points to dante in smash, when they SPECIFICALLY said that those dates were for DMC 3 ON SWITCH news, NOT DMC in general??? I don't get how ANYONE is making that connection. It's like saying "Oh, they said Doom is getting a new trailer this week, and there's a Smash thing too, Doomguy for Smash confirmed!!!" It just doesn't make any sense

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Welp, at least the fighter is going to be a morning reveal which means I can wake up to utter chaos on Thursday. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the fighter gets leaked on Wednesday (and I'm talking a legit leak or a hint post from a ResetERA mod known for Smash leaks due to the low bull**** tolerance regarding ResetERA leaks, not the crap from the past month or two)

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Another coincidence is that maybe the person who made the DMC tweet is just a fan of Smash/Nintendo and just telling us that something in general was happening on that day.
It's possible... but if it was just a Smash fan expressing excitement, wouldn't they have used their own personal account, and not the official DMC twitter account?

WHY do people think this points to dante in smash, when they SPECIFICALLY said that those dates were for DMC 3 ON SWITCH news, NOT DMC in general??? I don't get how ANYONE is making that connection. It's like saying "Oh, they said Doom is getting a new trailer this week, and there's a Smash thing too, Doomguy for Smash confirmed!!!" It just doesn't make any sense
This is obviously just speculation, but it's possible that, like with Hero and Dragon Quest XI S, the upcoming fighter presentation will not only reveal Dante, but also mention the Devil May Cry 3 Switch port for promotional purposes. It would make sense, especially if Dante in Smash were to be based on his Devil May Cry 3 appearance.

Of course, this could all be wrong... but it would still be one hell of a coincidence.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's possible... but if it was just a Smash fan expressing excitement, wouldn't they have used their own personal account, and not the official DMC twitter account?

This is obviously just speculation, but it's possible that, like with Hero and Dragon Quest XI S, the upcoming fighter presentation will not only reveal Dante, but also mention the Devil May Cry 3 Switch port for promotional purposes. It would make sense, especially if Dante in Smash were to be based on his Devil May Cry 3 appearance.

Of course, this could all be wrong... but it would still be one hell of a coincidence.
We're not getting DMC3 news in a Smash presentation.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
This wasn't some rando on Twitter, this was an official Capcom Representative saying that there were important dates to watch out for in regards to Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition on Switch news.
I don't feel like looking into it too much myself, but I can understand the speculation people had.
My point, however, is that it definitely wasn't just the DMC team saying this because they're fans of Super Smash Bros..they implied it was directly DMC focused and wouldn't be advertising another game without reason.
https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214577683952091136

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I know we joke about this s*** but I haven't logged in for less than one day and there's suddenly 32 new pages in this b****. So, did I miss anything?

I already know that there is a direct on Thursday. I expected one this month. I have nothing valuable to contribute to the discussion so I'll just wait until the reveal.

Last edited:

AlgusUnderdunk

Smash Ace
I really wish MvC3 hadn't biased me against DMC in general. Whenever an online match popped up with Dante, Trish, or Vergil my reaction was a slow sigh of accepting the match was going to be an all-out cheesefest. And I LIKE the DMC games, stylishly keeping enemies aloft with repetitive concussion and all that.

...Also I'm choosing to believe in Doom Slayer and Geno, and I've got two more nights to dream it's true.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I know we joke about this s*** but I haven't logged in for less than one day and there's 32 new pages in this b****, so did I miss anything?

I know there's a direct on Thursday. I expected one this month. I have nothing to contribute to the discussion so I'll just wait until the reveal.
An insider who has been verified by the ResetERA mods has post since hints he got about from a source of his about FP5. The hints I think goes like this a character that is similar to Bayonetta in that you might be consider them to be a first party even though they aren't own by Nintendo and have appeared on other platforms and isn't really a popular gaming character. So as result there is now a lot of speculation that it could be
Travis Touchdown

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ya know I think I came around the idea of Arle being a playable character, playing her game on the SNES online might have helped that. There are still many characters I'd prefer over her but I'd be cool with her inclusion I guess.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay, so I just woke up - anything new on this Zippo guy from Resetera, or is the vague statement about

a character who's "kinda sorta" first party or maybe similar to Bayonetta

still all we have?

D

Deleted member

Here's to us ending this entire speculation cycle that gave us all goddamn headaches...

And everyone is celebrating and popping bottles, while I'm just here contemplating why I chose this game...

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly, with how this entire Fighter Pass has gone, I think it's going to be a character we don't really see coming (outside of leaks).
I mean, really, did anyone actually think, when the Fighter Pass was first announced, that we'd be seeing Joker, DQ Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Terry Bogard appear in Super Smash Bros? Not a one of them was speculated on, outside of 'unlikely but please' Banjo, before they were either announced or leaked in some fashion and, at the very least, mentions of them weren't taken very serious due to 'Joker? Really..PlayStation character mostly'/'Square-Enix hardly gave us anything with Cloud, why would we get Dragon Quest?'/'Microsoft is a rival..and Minecraft makes more sense'/'Terry who?'.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
An insider who has been verified by the ResetERA mods has post since hints he got about from a source of his about FP5. The hints I think goes like this a character that is similar to Bayonetta in that you might be consider them to be a first party even though they aren't own by Nintendo and have appeared on other platforms and isn't really a popular gaming character. So as result there is now a lot of speculation that it could be
Travis Touchdown
The summary is much appreciated. Sounds like Travis but it also sounds like her.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Here's to us ending this entire speculation cycle that gave us all goddamn headaches...

And everyone is celebrating and popping bottles, while I'm just here contemplating why I chose this game...

Heh..you say that like there won't be a whole new round of speculation with the continued DLC afterwards.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I really wish MvC3 hadn't biased me against DMC in general. Whenever an online match popped up with Dante, Trish, or Vergil my reaction was a slow sigh of accepting the match was going to be an all-out cheesefest. And I LIKE the DMC games, stylishly keeping enemies aloft with repetitive concussion and all that.

...Also I'm choosing to believe in Doom Slayer and Geno, and I've got two more nights to dream it's true.
I'm the exact opposite.

If I had it my way, Vergil would be getting in over Dante, if he gets chosen that is.

The headaches will begin anew with the next DLC fighter speculation lol.

It's not over yet xD

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
The summary is much appreciated. Sounds like Travis but it also sounds like her.

There are some things that separate Travis from her, for example Nintendo seems to be heavily pushing the No More Heroes franchise from having Suda on stage to announce he is working on a new at the Switch reveal event, to ending an indie direct with the reveal TSA, and revealing NMH3 at the E3 direct. They asked Suda to make a new No More Heroes for the Switch before they had even revealed the system.

Also No More Heroes has never sold well, while Cooking Mama has, so it doesn't really fit the last part of my summery.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know we joke about this s*** but I haven't logged in for less than one day and there's suddenly 32 new pages in this b****. So, did I miss anything?

I already know that there is a direct on Thursday
The fact that we're getting a character announcement in two days is easily enough to generate 32 pages.

I'm the exact opposite.

If I had it my way, Vergil would be getting in over Dante, if he gets chosen that is.
I mean, I also like Vergil more than Dante, but I don't think antags should get in before protags.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Okay, so I just woke up - anything new on this Zippo guy from Resetera, or is the vague statement about

a character who's "kinda sorta" first party or maybe similar to Bayonetta

still all we have?
He walked back on that claim so were back in the dark again

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The headaches will begin anew with the next DLC fighter speculation lol.

It's not over yet xD
It's all headaches for you because I wouldn't be here to take speculation seriously anymore becuase of THIS...ALL-MALE....DLC. And this pains my heart when there are so many possible females out there...why Sakurai? What's our problem?

#NintendoIsSexist
#UltimateDLCSoMale

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
This wasn't some rando on Twitter, this was an official Capcom Representative saying that there were important dates to watch out for in regards to Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition on Switch news.
I don't feel like looking into it too much myself, but I can understand the speculation people had.
My point, however, is that it definitely wasn't just the DMC team saying this because they're fans of Super Smash Bros..they implied it was directly DMC focused and wouldn't be advertising another game without reason.
https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214577683952091136
Also, why have Devil May Cry news on the same day as a Smash Announcement that's gonna reveal a new character or two. Smash related stuff like that tends to dominate the news and overshadow a lot of other things for quite a while.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The fact that we're getting a character announcement in two days is easily enough to generate 32 pages.

I mean, I also like Vergil more than Dante, but I don't think antags should get in before protags.
Same as Byleth and Edelgard.
Fans want Edelgard due to her popularity, others don't want Byleth cause of his/her bland cardboard personality. (Did I get that right?)

D

Deleted member

1579071262224.png

Hmm....so it's already like...really late once the Direct actually starts. First time since E3 when I won't catch an announcement live.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Considering one of the tweets referred to DMC3 Switch specifically and mentioned “three little extra features,” I really don’t think they’re teasing Smash.

D

Deleted member

Considering one of the tweets referred to DMC3 Switch specifically and mentioned “three little extra features,” I really don’t think they’re teasing Smash.
All this DMC confusion is messing with everything lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom