• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
1. Every character in the pass is older than the character that preceded them (Terry ---> Banjo ---> averaged Hero ---> Joker). The base game characters also followed a simmilar pattern, but instead chronological (Ridley ---> Simon ---> K.Rool ---> Isabelle ---> Incineroar). If the theory holds (which I see no reason as to why it wouldn't), the fifth character would have to be from the 80s - which Arle just so happens to be from.
The fact that you have to average the Hero says pretty much all you need to hear about this theory tbh. Smash considers Hero to be the newest character chronologically. You have to play by their timeline if you think they're doing this deliberately.

2. Joker, a Sega Property, was the only third party not to be leaked. This implies Sega is good at keeping things under wraps. The secrecy of Fighter 5 could be excused by it being another Sega character.
Is this the same Sega that had their Super Monkey Ball game leak? The same one that leaked the M+S Olympic roster? The one that had their Vanquish and Bayonetta remasters leaked?

Sounds like you might be cherrypicking.

3. I know how weak color theory is, but I feel it's still worth mentioning it works for Arle.
It also works for Bubsy.

4.. Sega seems to be trying to make Puyo Puyo more popular outside of Japan. A similar thing was happening with Dragon Quest and King of Fighters, and Smash was part of it.
It's not up to Sega. Just like it wasn't up to SE or SNK. Sakurai even mentioned how he approached the latter two, not the other way around. We know how third-parties get added. It starts with Sakurai and Nintendo.

5. You're downplaying the SNES game quite a bit. It's a Japanese-only game, yet it's on Switch online. There are a few region-only games on NES online, but they all stayed in their region. Puyo Puyo is the sole exeption to this, and why? Maybe to increase familiarity when she comes to Smash.
By that logic Saki should have been in the game with Brawl.

Not all of these are very strong on their own, but I feel that when they're all added together that they present a very solid case.
Last month people were making these lists for KOS-MOS. The month before, Geno. The month before, Doom Slayer. You could make a list for any character when reaches count as valid points.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Arle's first game was Mado Monogatari which came out in 1989. Puyo Puyo is a spin off of that series.
Fair point.

But that still doesn’t change the fact that you literally have to discard several characters/circumstances for the theory that OP suggested to even work.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
2. Joker, a Sega Property, was the only third party not to be leaked. This implies Sega is good at keeping things under wraps. The secrecy of Fighter 5 could be excused by it being another Sega character.
This is a pretty weak point. Firstly it assumes that the leakers are leaking only through the third party channels and not through Nintendo ones. Terry for instance was not leaked through SNK, but through Nintendo's own flub, which means that ultimately SNK were better at keeping a secret then Nintendo. By your own point that should mean SNK is just as viable for the next character just as much as Sega. Secondly, it assumes that a new company isn't coming into the fold and/or said company can't keep out leakers. Theoretically it's very possible that those like Cygames, Koei Temco, and Marvelous can probably keep a secret and keep their character in their pocket just as much as Sega could. Finally, it also assumes that the other companies can't learn from previous mistakes and manage to keep their characters underwraps. Sonic was leaked before his reveal in October, yet Joker wasn't, so they learned and managed to keep their second character better hidden. Those like Namco, Capcom, and Square Enix can easily do the same, they're not bound to previous history and are doomed to fail a second/third go.

For this point to work, you have to ignore multiple variables just to get another Sega on top. Sega is not the only one who can hide characters, there are other parties who are just as capable of doing it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really want to keep arguing in favor of point 1, but I... don't really have anything to say that doesn't make me sound stupider. I still think it's true, but I understand it seems a bit ridiculous and requires a few leaps of logic. I guess we'll wait and see, I'll eat my words if I'm wrong.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Here's a little customization game we can play. Make your ideal pass using one character from each of the five lists.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving
2nd Sonic the Hedgehog character

"Promotional" Character
Three Houses rep (Your choice)
Astral Chain rep (Your choice)
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi
Sword and Shield rep (Your choice)

Give the People What They Want
Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Any character who you want but don't expect.
Rayman
I guess Reimu?
GOOIGI LETS GOOOOOOO
Geno (so everyone can finally stop yelling a Sakurai)
Nikolai Belinski or Vincent Brooks

Also random thought but
It could just be poor translation, but one of Sakurai's Instagram posts that talk about the 5th fighter also mention "the next fighter coming after". This could be a translation thingy, but maybe that means 5 and 6 will be shown off (Like Banjo and Hero?)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Here's a little customization game we can play. Make your ideal pass using one character from each of the five lists.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise

1. Phoenix Wright
2. Dr. Eggman
3. Gooigi OR Toxtricity
4. Waluigi
5. Prince of All Cosmos

Krankees

Smash Ace
I was going to say something about you noting a Sonic character yesterday(keyboard was barely working, so couldn't). I missed something. Why'd you remove that part of your opinion? Just wondering. :)

I admit, they're competition. Though the question is which moveset translates better in the end. There's also other Sega characters too, but it seems like moveset is a key factor as is. Also, which Yakuza would be chosen? I know nothing of the series.
Kiryu is the most prominent character in the Yakuza series. He would be the one to get included.

I only played Yakuza Kiwami but I had so much damn fun playing it that I want to play the other games when I get the chance.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Oddly enough, despite the mass 3rd party deconfirmations by both Verge & Sabi, neither has bothered to deconfirm Nintendo as a whole or even a Spirit/AT chatacter.

You would think both would be the easiest to say "yeah Fighter 5 isn't this" but instead it's been living this long. Ironically enough, both of those were on Verge's mass kill list from December before he quickly backtracked on that. So even now, potentially a few days until the Direct both are still living.
Cause they don’t know lol. They don’t know ****. They are lying.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
JWittz decided to share a list of characters he personally doesn't want to see in Smash #1 is just a straight fact though.
My problem with this video is not, that he doesn't like certain characters to be in Smash.
It's more the arguments against some of these characters aren't very good and feel like he made it all up within 5 minutes.

I.D.

Smash Lord

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1: Rayman. I grew up with his first two games. Rayman 2 is the first game I played to 100% completion, I think.

2: Kosmos. Never finished her games but I quite liked the original Xenogears and the first Xenosaga from my playstation days and I have an IRL friend who is a fan. Robots are cool.

Promotional: Astral Chain. Those guys are just cool and can easily make for a very interesting playstyle.

We, the people: To be honest I don't particularly care about any of those. I think Chief or Geno could make for interesting playstyles so I guess I'd go with them? I have zero investment here.

Surprise: Can't decide on just one and too many to list them all, I'll just mention a few: Spyro (don't think he'd ever make it over Crash), Metal Slug character (think Terry firmly closed that door), Raziel (RIP Legacy of Kain), Charles Barkley (from "Tales of Game's presents Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa", still the funniest videogame I've ever played, not happening for obvious reasons), one of Cygames' recurring characters like Lucifer, Cerberus, Jeanne, Grimnir, etc (I think Sakurai is well aware a gacha character wouldn't be well received).

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I know they said no echoes for the fighter pass, but if post pass we get a Yakuza character I'd hope we'd get Kiryu as the base fighter and Goro Majima as an echo. Both of them are very brutal and capable fighters that would work well as echoes, but i'd love to see Majima's unhinged personality expressed through cosmetic animations.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Dante - Dante is one of my favorite characters in games and Devil May Cry 5 is one of the best games I've played this decade.
2. Shadow - Deserves it.
3. Akira - Astral Chain was a great game and it would add a new Nintendo IP.
4. Master Chief - One of the more deserving 3rd parties and one of the more important franchises to join.
5. Kratos - Alongside Chief, it would be one of the more shocking and surprising characters to join.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I know they said no echoes for the fighter pass, but if post pass we get a Yakuza character I'd hope we'd get Kiryu as the base fighter and Goro Majima as an echo. Both of them are very brutal and capable fighters that would work well as echoes, but i'd love to see Majima's unhinged personality expressed through cosmetic animations.
Anything post-pass has no known rules, so we could get Echoes. I imagine if we get Echoes they're either an Echo Pass itself or only sold separately for way lower. Another thought is Echoes could have a super cheap price if you purchased the Fighter's Pass, like half. Cause I can't imagine them being free. They still take a lot of work, just less than clones/semi-clones/unique. More than alts, at least.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
1. Every character in the pass is older than the character that preceded them (Terry ---> Banjo ---> averaged Hero ---> Joker). The base game characters also followed a simmilar pattern, but instead chronological (Ridley ---> Simon ---> K.Rool ---> Isabelle ---> Incineroar). If the theory holds (which I see no reason as to why it wouldn't), the fifth character would have to be from the 80s - which Arle just so happens to be from.

3. I know how weak color theory is, but I feel it's still worth mentioning it works for Arle.

4.. Sega seems to be trying to make Puyo Puyo more popular outside of Japan. A similar thing was happening with Dragon Quest and King of Fighters, and Smash was part of it.

5. You're downplaying the SNES game quite a bit. It's a Japanese-only game, yet it's on Switch online. There are a few region-only games on NES online, but they all stayed in their region. Puyo Puyo is the sole exeption to this, and why? Maybe to increase familiarity when she comes to Smash.

Not all of these are very strong on their own, but I feel that when they're all added together that they present a very solid case.
As someone who is a hardcore Puyo Puyo fan, since 5 years old and wouldn't mind Arle

God damn, this is afwul and a stretch

I hate it when the Smash community tries to talk about games they are not familiar with

Puyo Puyo is the sole exeption to this, and why? Maybe to increase familiarity when she comes to Smash.
Or you know... It's probably because it's 2020 and not the 90s anymore, and people are comfortable with Japanse / non English games

Last edited:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Rayman - I think it's finally time to get him to playable-status
2. KOS-MOS - No particular reason. I just think she would be cool
3. Astral Chain/ Officer Howard - Come on, how is this not screaming "make me playable"? + Astral Chain is an amazing game that everyone should play.
4. Master Chief - "He's the X-Box-Guy. [...] Master Chief would've been this insane gaming moment" - Scott the Woz, 2019
(and the Halo-Theme is freaking amazing)
5. Fiora/ Elma - Fiora is one of my favorite characters ever and seeing her playable in Smash next to Mario would mean so much to me.
But on the other hand i think Elma is currently more likely and i REALLY want Xenoblade X to get more recognition

honorable mentions:
-Dr. Coyle (Arms)
-Shantae
-Sash Lilac (Freedom Planet)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's all about getting up close and doing his rush combos against your opponents to build up his Heat Gauge which lets him do really strong, frequently over the top attacks, some of which depend on the situation. He also makes excellent use of any objects in the surrounding area to assist in combat no matter what they are.
Hmm. Makes me wonder if he could have a gimmick related to items on the ground too. Like maybe they last a bit longer, like a few more shots with a projectile weapon, the chances of the items disappearing are lessened, etc.

It is a lot like a Brawler game(I.E. Spider-Man and Venom)?

D

Deleted member

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Dante
KOSMOS
Dimitri from Three Houses
Geno
Bomberman

Perfect timeline.

Krankees

Smash Ace
Hmm. Makes me wonder if he could have a gimmick related to items on the ground too. Like maybe they last a bit longer, like a few more shots with a projectile weapon, the chances of the items disappearing are lessened, etc.

It is a lot like a Brawler game(I.E. Spider-Man and Venom)?
It is very much like a brawler game except 7 which is weirdly gonna be an RPG.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Dante
2. Dr. Eggman (Hopefully in his mech from SA2)
3. Dimitri from Three Houses
4. Master Chief
5. Warrior of Light from FF-Dissidia

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It is very much like a brawler game except 7 which is weirdly gonna be an RPG.
Then I suggest a Brawler character should have an item gimmick akin to that.

Besides their own easy moves. Character sounds pretty cool.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Steve (Minecraft)
2. Dr. Eggman (Sonic)
3. Zacian/Zamazenta (Pokemon)
4. Waluigi (Mario)
5. Octane (Rocket League) or either Nergigante (Monster Hunter)

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1.- Dante: Super-iconic character with great moveset.
2.- KOS-MOS: After playing both Project X Zone entries, I think she can easily offer a fun moveset.
3.- Akira Howard: If a promotional character was assured, it may as well be one from a brand-new franchise.
4.- Sora: As far as video game born characters go, you can't get anyone more groundbreaking than him.
5.- Soma Cruz: Can't expect him as there's already two Castlevania characters and demand for a third may as well be considered non-existent.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Phoenix
Lloyd
Edelgard
Geno
Nathan Drake

Man, that's a pass I really like. Do it Sakurai

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
>Layton, Phoenix and Rayman all under 1st Third-party
>Literally making me choose between my top three

1447249556845.png

What did I do to hurt you bro...?
Oh well, guess I'll go with:
1. Layton
2. Arle
3. Astrain Chain rep
4. Sora
5. Mallo from Pushmo

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
My favorite part about this image is that the silly joke of "Wolf has the hots for a picture of a horse" is being interpreted as OMG ITS A COSMOS FLOWER DUDES
Gotta keep the train rolling somehow. Nearly every point in her favor fell apart after the VGAs, so now her base is going to start reaching even further to continue to paint her as a “front runner” so to speak.

Also, Sakurai himself could literally hard deconfirm KOS-MOS for future DLC tomorrow and a good portion of people will still be doing mental gymnastics on why she’d still be in the running, lol.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
JWittz decided to share a list of characters he personally doesn't want to see in Smash #1 is just a straight fact though.
Will give him credit for being brave enough to make a video like that. Some days I wish I could straight up do that here. lol

I mostly just skimmed it, so I would assume the arguments are bad, but whatever it's a dislike video. It's not worth the effort of critiquing and only breeds more toxicity within the community a.k.a. why every Unpopular Opinions thread goes south real fast.

D

Deleted member

Gotta say I think a few of his arguments are kinda silly, its his opinion and ultimately they won't affect any decision from Sakurai whatsoever.

Personally I really don't care about 7-8 characters of the list and the rest I like but at the same time don't see them as a must have.

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
Feel that a few of these lists are a bit random sometimes, half the categories are self explanatory but would like to know why the third parties are divided this way.

Anyways:
Dante
KOS-MOS
Akira Howard
Sora
Lara Croft

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1. Rayman - I have a lot of nostalgia for the original game, and he'd bring along some fantastic music.

2. Dr. Eggman - He's always just a fun character to have around, and Sonic absolutely warrants a second unique character. Lots of potential for a great moveset with him too.

3. Edelgard - Three Houses was easily my GotY in 2019, and I loved what I got with Edelgard's route. I'm also generally a fan of axes in any kind of fantasy game, so I'd welcome an axe user in Smash.

4. Geno - A pretty tough one here as Master Chief would also be super hype, and Isaac or Waluigi would be neat too, but just having a look at the character threads on this board, there's one that really sticks out like a sore thumb at this point.

5. The Knight (Hollow Knight) - Massive fan of the game, so seeing any content from it in Smash would be incredible. A character is never happening, so I'm going to grab the opportunity here with both hands.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
  1. KOS-MOS
  2. Dante
  3. Dimitri or Byleth from Three Houses
  4. Geno
  5. Rex & Pyra/Mythra

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I'm gonna start up a game for everyone:
Lets say you can customize every aspect of a game mode. How would you make it so it is like a game you want represented in Smash?
For example, a Catherine Smash:
  • Only ZSS (Katherine), Bayonetta (Catherine), Zelda (Rin), Snake? (Vincent)
  • Brinstar Depths (with the creature in the background representing the boss for each night), Coliseum (because the platforms randomly appear), Fourside (like the city), Kalos Pokemon League (fits the theme), Umbra Clock Tower (fits the theme), Wrecking Crew (because the floors fall)
  • Devil (fits the theme), Nightmare (like sleeping), Rodin (Boss), Spring Man (Toby)
  • Bunny Hood (fits the theme), Crates, Pow Block, Black Hole
  • Mimikyu, Bellossom, Darkrai, Gogoat

D

Deleted member

1st Third-party
Rayman
Professor Layton
Dante
Phoenix Wright
Steve

2nd Third-party
Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nadja
Lloyd Irving

"Promotional" Character
Ring Fit Adventurer
Gooigi

Geno
Master Chief
Sora
Waluigi
Issac

The Big Surprise
1.Dante
2.Kos-Mos
3. ̶B̶a̶b̶o̶o̶m byleth
4.master chief
5.shantae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom