• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I wonder if they are going to attempt another surprise announcement like that cool "hacking" animation with Joker or they are gonna say outright. "Hey...Smash reveal!"
I could definitely see them going for a fake-out reveal, making the audience think it's one thing only to make it Smash at the last second, similar to how Joker and Rosalina's trailers made us think they were giving Persona 5 and Mario Kart news respectively.

I don't know if the hacking motif will be used again though. That worked because it fit with Joker's character, not sure if it would work with FP5.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I wonder if they are going to attempt another surprise announcement like that cool "hacking" animation with Joker or they are gonna say outright. "Hey...Smash reveal!"
The Game Awards itself is just an elaborate lead-in to the trailer.
Half-way through, they drop the facade and fade into the reveal.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Depends entirely on the character, really. With Joker you could pull it off despite having to show the Switch logo because people naturally thought of a P5 port or some kind of spinoff. With other characters, if you show the Switch logo at the start, it would give the game away as soon as they appeared (Master Chief, for example).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With the exception of Box Theory (even then, that only proved there would be two characters left, not who they would be), has there ever been any theory which actually worked out and predicted something?
Stage Builder Theory.

Shown during Joker's showcase which among the stages had a witch and some dragon stages predicting:ultbanjokazooie:and:ulthero:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I mean, considering the Fighter's Pass has been out for over a year now, the bulk of people who were going to buy it already did.

At this point it's only going to be a blip on the radar in terms of sales.

If you want a HUGE sales boom, you start the 2nd wave.
someone with actual business savvy and logic.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Has no one just considered

Daisy is a flower, which is a plant

And she's adjacent to Mario, who's adjacent to Piranha Plant, that's also a plant?

Remind me why this is a deep state conspiracy again
God dammit, now it’s harder to not make the plant connection with daisy because of the framing. They even make the rpg guys adjacent.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ok say we are going to get a surprise transition into a smash reveal. How would you prefer they do it with the following characters.

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

If you want an extra challenge. How would a surprise transition work for a double reveal involving two characters of your choosing.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm not sure but I think I've read somewhere that Sakurai wanted to announce Ridley and K. Rool as soon as possible so it wouldn't leak.
never seen that but new characters were revealed in order of debut date (minus inkling because honestly it was obvious). sakurai is a massive troll the only thing we know for sure they didnt want leaked is that everyone was coming back.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Depends entirely on the character, really. With Joker you could pull it off despite having to show the Switch logo because people naturally thought of a P5 port or some kind of spinoff. With other characters, if you show the Switch logo at the start, it would give the game away as soon as they appeared (Master Chief, for example).
Joker never had a switch logo, so I don’t think that’s really an issue.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If Nintendo and pals are as tight-lipped as they are now, speculation post season 1 is going to be a lot harder to figure out. They're learning, which is good... but at the same, Lord knows how long they're going to keep us guessing. Potentially every time now. This is exciting as it is scary lol.

Shroob

Sup?
someone with actual business savvy and logic.
It's amazing that there's people that think there's legions that have held off on buying the pass in case they get that 1 character that justifies the purchase.

At that point, why wouldn't you just buy the 1 character separately if that's all you care about. I find it hard to believe that you'd rather throw down 25 bucks due to 1 character 'justifying' the pass instead of just buying them separate. .

I know some people have held off and, hey, more power to them, but the pass was a financial success, and the majority of anything's sales come from when it just launches and bleeds into the following month or so.

I'm sure if Nintendo showed off a graph of FP sales, there'd be an ENORMOUS spike on launch, a huge drop off around March, and then blips every time a new character came out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sigh...no new info lately and the higher-ups have nothing left to offer.

Let's accept the reality that there is no real frontrunner and just say that anyone is fair game.

We're all tried and frustrated at this point that we would just want it to happen already. FP5 is the most coveted spot and it's pretty much gonna be quite the wait considering all this insider war.

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Ok say we are going to get a surprise transition into a smash reveal. How would you prefer they do it with the following characters.

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

If you want an extra challenge. How would a surprise transition work for a double reveal involving two characters of your choosing.
Phoenix Wright: OBJECTION

KOS-MOS: idk lol

Doomguy: demon attack

Sora: Goofy shows up

Geno: the star descends from the sky and gives life to a conspicuous looking doll

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

Geno has to revealed with the Muppets.

Shroob

Sup?
Sigh...no new info lately and the higher-ups have nothing left to offer.

Let's accept the reality that there is no real frontrunner and just say that anyone is fair game.

We're all tried and frustrated at this point that we would just want it to happen already. FP5 is the most coveted spot and it's pretty much gonna be quite the wait considering all this insider war.
I'm not even gonna notice.

This week has been breezing by to me because I really don't care who gets in, I'm just doing this for fun, I probably won't even watch the award show because, it's 3 hours and boring as ****.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

Phoenix Wright: Geoff goes to end the VGAs and you think it's over, then you hear OBJECTION across the stadium. Cut to Phoenix's trailer.

KOS-MOS: Make it look like Xenosaga HD, then reveal KOS-MOS. Then reveal Xenosaga HD. Win.

Doomguy: Have Bethesda come out and make it look like more DOOM, and then it's Doomguy.

Sora: Make it look like a KH trailer, then it's Smash Bros.

Geno: The only way they're doing this is a conventional reveal.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

A surprise reveal for Phoenix seems obvious to me.

Near the end of the show you hear Sam Riegels "Objection!" And at first it's played as a reveal of a new game, with the characters doing one of their courtroom style comedy bits, then boom. Someone presents the smash invite as evidence. Then cue smash trailer.

For Sora, I imagine a surprise reveal would pick up after the ending of KH3:
Once Sora disappears from the Disney world's he wakes up in an unknown place, playing it off as a new KH game, then bam, cue surprise smash trailer for him.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this mostly, but I can see them opening his trailer with an actual falling star practical lighting effect in the theater instead of just the cross slash, if that makes sense.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Do you think there will be a fighter pass 2, or the next characters after the pass will be released individually (maybe without a stage)? Or do you think they will do a different type of package (for example, character + echo + boss, or packages of multiple characters/echoes sharing a common theme).

Shroob

Sup?
Do you think there will be a fighter pass 2, or the next characters after the pass will be released individually (maybe without a stage)? Or do you think they will do a different type of package (for example, character + echo + boss, or packages of multiple characters/echoes sharing a common theme).
If the first pass was a huge success, I forsee a 2nd pass.

They'll have to adjust the stage list a bit by adding a new row, but it's not an issue otherwise.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I see no reason as to why Nintendo wouldn't want to pack future characters in another bundle. It's just pretty logical as is, disregarding whether or not the next will feature less characters in favour of other types of content.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
While I believe we will eventually get a bundle of these remaining characters at the very end, I can’t foresee them doing this exact same structure again if spirits and first party reps are back in the running. I fully believe that characters like Geno or Rex/Pyra don’t really require a dedicated spirit board or new stage if upgrades are a thing, so I could see them being one of our first standalone releases without a stage or board. Another fighters pass sort of runs on the idea that we’ll once again be getting only unrepresented third party characters, and I don’t think that’ll be the case.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
While I believe we will eventually get a bundle of these remaining characters at the very end, I can’t foresee them doing this exact same structure again if spirits and first party reps are back in the running. I fully believe that characters like Geno or Rex/Pyra don’t really require a dedicated spirit board or new stage if upgrades are a thing, so I could see them being one of our first standalone releases without a stage or board. Another fighters pass sort of runs on the idea that we’ll once again be getting only unrepresented third party characters, and I don’t think that’ll be the case.
Alternatively we could get spirits from characters who didnt make it into the spirit list the first time round.

Like using a couple third party examples, we get someone like Yu and Akuma and the spirit boards has characters like Yousuke, Chie, Yunpei, Fukka, Rashid, C.Viper, Eagle and Dudley

Last edited:

Ricksaw

Smash Cadet
Phoenix Wright: Geoff goes to end the VGAs and you think it's over, then you hear OBJECTION across the stadium. Cut to Phoenix's trailer.

KOS-MOS: Make it look like Xenosaga HD, then reveal KOS-MOS. Then reveal Xenosaga HD. Win.

Doomguy: Have Bethesda come out and make it look like more DOOM, and then it's Doomguy.

Sora: Make it look like a KH trailer, then it's Smash Bros.

If it is 2B then she could have a call from operaton 6O or the commander asking where is she and she says she is investigating a new robots factory and it is a rob factory kind of the one shown in brawl.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Don’t forget the paid audience members who are there to shout, scream, and cheer every possible second during the trailer and presentation.

https://youtu.be/EWXdvftL30Y

Otherwise, it’s not officially Bethesda.

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131

Phoenix Wright:

KOS-MOS:

Doomguy:

Sora:

Geno:

• Phoenix Wright: Something something "HURRRR DURRRR JOKER STOLE MUH INVITATION!!!1".
  • KOS-MOS: Uh...
  • Doomguy: Trailer is about fighting demons or something. Possible dual reveal with Dante.
  • Sora: He unlocks the gate to Smash Bros. The trailer continues/ends with hints to more worlds joining Smash. Possible dual reveal with (your most wanted/a Sakurai pick). Another possibility: see Phoenix Wright.
  • Geno: Something about the World of Light. His spirit returns to his body or something.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
One last calm before the inevitable s***storm. As always, relish this. I'm preparing my literal who debates now. This will be my first character reveal on this website. I can't f*** it up.

I'm gonna be at work during. Hopefully outside pushing carts. So I'll be watching, but I won't get the join the fun with all of you. So, have fun!

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
One last calm before the inevitable s***storm. As always, relish this. I'm preparing my literal who debates now. This will be my first character reveal on this website. I can't f*** it up.

I swear I work every time during a Nintendo Direct or major event. I'm starting to think it's planned :v

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So here I am at being fuzzy on when this award show is happening - especially with time differences. I thought it was going to be in 12 hours. But it’s in 24 hours, yeah?

I’m sad now

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet
curiosity:

Usually when a revelation occurs at a particular event, Sakurai posts on her social networks to watch, just as it did on Nintendo Direct in September and E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom