• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
But seriously, I don't think there's any one character the community can collectively not like. There's always going to be someone who likes a certain thing and someone who doesn't like that thing.

i.e. Sakurai could deadass add a shoe to the roster and #ShoeGang would be trending 5 minutes tops.
How dare you insult the iconic videogame character Kuribo's Shoe

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I don't think that really matters to Nintendo because Persona 5 isn't being released on the Switch.
I meant sell copies of Smash. Granted it would have sold amazing regardless, but the shock of the reveal combined with the fact that P5 had a pretty big following probably got at least a few more people interested. It was also just a good reminder to non-Nintendo fans that the game was releasing. I can’t shake the feeling that Nintendo might have higher priorities this time around.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I meant sell copies of Smash. Granted it would have sold amazing regardless, but the shock of the reveal combined with the fact that P5 had a pretty big following probably got at least a few more people interested. It was also just a good reminder to non-Nintendo fans that the game was releasing.
Good point actually. Still part of Smash in my opinion has always been who's next to join. It's probably one of the few DLCs to be worth shown at TGAs. I'm low key hoping to see if SCVI gets another crossover character.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
But seriously, I don't think there's any one character the community can collectively not like. There's always going to be someone who likes a certain thing and someone who doesn't like that thing.

i.e. Sakurai could deadass add a shoe to the roster and #ShoeGang would be trending 5 minutes tops.
Yup, after the community collectively praised Piranha Plant on the sole basis that it was a Sakurai pick, Sakurai could literally add Goku, Batman, and a walking d**** to Smash and there would be people praising it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I dunno, it’s probably my natural pessimism kicking in, but I’m just not feeling a fighter reveal at TGA.
crump tell me, tell me you've seen who's up on the game of the mother****ing year nominations

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So Nintendo posts a tweet about the Game Awards. I don't think Nintendo would tweet this if they had nothing to reveal there.

While it doesn't guarantee a FP5 reveal, I think Nintendo does have something up their sleeve.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Yup, after the community collectively praised Piranha Plant on the sole basis that it was a Sakurai pick, Sakurai could literally add Goku, Batman, and a walking dil** to Smash and there would be people praising it.
I dunno about a *****. There would probably be a lot of soccer mums asking their kid what the **** they think they are playing at playing with (don’t look into that) a rather inappropriate character.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yup, after the community collectively praised Piranha Plant on the sole basis that it was a Sakurai pick, Sakurai could literally add Goku, Batman, and a walking dil** to Smash and there would be people praising it.
I don't know where you were. But Plant might have been the only DLC character so far that dislike outweighed the people who actually liked it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I meant sell copies of Smash. Granted it would have sold amazing regardless, but the shock of the reveal combined with the fact that P5 had a pretty big following probably got at least a few more people interested. It was also just a good reminder to non-Nintendo fans that the game was releasing. I can’t shake the feeling that Nintendo might have higher priorities this time around.
I don't think Persona is really the kind of franchise that would cause a noticeable spike in sales. I think Joker may have been an effort to strengthen the bonds with Atlus and get future Persona games on Nintendo consoles. Around the time Joker was released, Sony randomly made a comment about how they're very proud to have Persona 5 as an exclusive. They already lost Undertale being an exclusive, and the odds of Toby Fox coming back are slim after how much that's happened with him and Nintendo this year.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Jon's totally trolling people now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he read this thread and laughed at the people who are thinking he's a leaker.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The timeline where #PlantGang was trending afterwards and people made fanarts of him laughing at all the characters that didn't get in.
That's not at all the collective community, my friend. That's World War 3.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be surprised if he read this thread and laughed at the people who are thinking he's a leaker.
YES, DONKEY KONG 5: THE JOURNEY OF OVER TIME AND SPACE IS COMING TO SWITCH!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Just a general reminder that at the 2017 VGA's Nintendo revealed both Bayonnetta 1/2 on Switch + Bayonnetta 3, and also revealed the Breath of the Wild DLC and released it on the same night. Nintendo revealing multiple things is not out of the question, and given that Smash is nominated for GOTY just like BOTW was, I would be pretty shocked if they don't reveal fighter 5 here. (not expecting a shadowdrop though lol, never going to happen)

D

Deleted member

That's not at all the collective community, my friend. That's World War 3.
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with trending tags on Twitter and meme art."
-abraham lincoln, 2012

D

Deleted member

Took some time to analyze the statistics of the survey and I gotta say:
  • Those who voted for Capcom are obviously the people still pushing their luck for their favorite character to get in (Dante/Phoenix/MH/Amaterasu/Morrigan if any). I applaud them for trying their best, and I do hope that they reap the rewards.
  • Those who voted for Bamco are probably on board the KOS-MOS train before it even leaves...if it even leaves. Or probably still banking on Lloyd since they don't trust Verge or Sabi anymore.
  • As for the rest, kudos to you all. Keep up the good work.

He's having waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy tooooo muuuuccchhhh fun.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's just Youtube in general. You don't get a lot of dislikes on a company youtube video unless it's a PR disaster or you are Youtube making a youtube rewind.
so you agree that the massive difference between's terry's likes and banjo's likes means that terry is in fact the superior fighter pick

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
crump tell me, tell me you've seen who's up on the game of the mother****ing year nominations
Of course I have, can’t wait for Genius Kojumbo’s Death Standing to win it all

Yeah Smash is nominated, but I still don’t see how revealing the last Smash character there would help Nintendo. The pass is over so I don’t think one character would make people buy the whole thing, and since Nintendo doesn’t have the floor to themselves choosing what will benefit them the most seems likely.

But I also just remembered they showed BoTW DLC in 2017 so maybe I’m a dumb***?

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Those who voted for Capcom are obviously the people still pushing their luck for their favorite character to get in (Dante/Phoenix/MH/Amaterasu/Morrigan if any). I applaud them for trying their best, and I do hope that they reap the rewards.
On one hand:

reasonable.jpg

On the other:
I resent that!! Even though it has some truth to it.
phoenix-sweating(a).gif

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
PP just proved you could make a moveset out of anything if you try hard enough.

So, going to support Deku Nut for post-dlc character, the PLANT GANG must GROW.:ultpiranha:

SKX31

Smash Master
I don't think Persona is really the kind of franchise that would cause a noticeable spike in sales. I think Joker may have been an effort to strengthen the bonds with Atlus and get future Persona games on Nintendo consoles. Around the time Joker was released, Sony randomly made a comment about how they're very proud to have Persona 5 as an exclusive. They already lost Undertale being an exclusive, and the odds of Toby Fox coming back are slim after how much that's happened with him and Nintendo this year.
Partly that, yes - but it's also partly because Persona 5 has one of the most unique styles out there. If I may channel my inner connoisseur (think Rarity, my personal favorite Main 6 Pony), lets look at the menu screen:

Does this look like something that would fit Smash's style at a glance? Before Joker was revealed, I bet a lot would say no. The two games don't have matching color contrasts, themes / aesthetics etc. But there's the catch: Joker's trailer was in P5's very distinctive style, and only showed the Smash letter well into the trailer. That alone helped make Joker so noteworthy - the contrast helped to ensure that people would talk about Joker. Alongside "You'll never see it coming!" in the background, Joker's status as a mainly PS3/4 character and Reggie's "emblematic" comment afterwards.

It got people talking about Smash too, since Joker being FP1 was a major league surprise. So, yeah, I'd say that Joker helped Smash out as well in terms of sales. It was bold.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
That's it. Although it didn't leak, i think we can all agree there's a huge probability that KOS-MOS is fighter #5, so there's not much left to speculate here. See you guys tomorrow.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't know where you were. But Plant might have been the only DLC character so far that dislike outweighed the people who actually liked it.
Are you sure about that?
From what I have seen, most people reacted positively about the plant.
Also, I doubt it was because it's a Sakurai pick, it's probably due to it being a character that people would think as impossible until they see it in action.

I also like the plant, and I'm not that type of person who praises anything Sakurai does, in fact I criticized Sakurai a lot in the past.

In the meanwhile, at least one or two times a week, occasionally even more often, someone still brings some Corrin hate in the community, despite it was added a generation ago... Plant is nowhere near that level of dislike (and I disagree with them; regardless of the character, Corrin at least plays unique).

IMO the plant was a good pick.

D

Deleted member

That's it. Although it didn't leak, i think we can all agree there's a huge probability that KOS-MOS is fighter #5, so there's not much left to speculate here. See you guys tomorrow.
why does this read like a change da world my final message post

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Still, if it is KOS-MOS tomorrow (which i'm 95% sure of) then Jon's tangent about now wanting to be seen as a leaker is going to look real silly. He would be pretty much asking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom