• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
And then instead of a character, it's the announcement of an announcement of a date for a special Smash presentation, keeping us in this hell for that much longer. :nifty:
And then Xenahort came into real life and took Sora Ltd.'s files, so now Sakurai and Sora Ltd have to go to various Disney Worlds in an attempt to get FP5 back.

Considering how this thread's "frontrunners" tend to go, I say ney.

I'm not saying this based on any proof, it's just we are ridiculously bad at actually predicting characters without any leaks.
Yeah, people wouldn't have expected :ulthero: without the Square leak, and both :ultjoker: and :ult_terry: were considered non-factors up until (right before in Terry's case) their respective reveals.

D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS as the second Namco rep is pretty confusing IMO. You have all these characters and the second rep. Heihachi, Lloyd, Yuri, Dig Dug, The Chosen Undead. You choose the dormant game character KOS-MOS?

Sakurai must be a picky man if she's in. :drflip:
She's basically the inspiration for Mecha-Fiora/Pyra/Mythra/Elma, so having her in would be a compensation for all the Xenoblade 2 fans who desperately wanted the Aegis in. Sakurai also really wanted to, but...you know what happened.

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
You know on Twitter there is someone looking through Doujin circles for Reimu. I want to see where this leads to.

D

Deleted member

You know on Twitter there is someone looking through Doujin circles for Reimu. I want to see where this leads to.
Hell, the doujin stuff is still on the running, so it is quite imminent, though I would be surprised if it was for a new Touhou game...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well it's not like there isn't precedent for choosing characters from dead series. :ultmegaman::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie:
Mega Man's been requested.
Castlevania was a popular ballot pick.
I feel like Banjo and Hero had some correlation with each other with how it's the infamous "worldwide appeal in 2 characters".

I understand your point but I don't see much of that correlating with KOS-MOS of all choosable Namco characters. That is my point, not the 13 years.

She's basically the inspiration for Mecha-Fiora/Pyra/Mythra/Elma, so having her in would be a compensation for all the Xenoblade 2 fans who desperately wanted the Aegis in. Sakurai also really wanted to, but...you know what happened.
why do you think i said people would beg for a fiora echo

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I notice a lot of the points raised in favour of KOS-MOS tend to be operating as if either Namco or Monolith are the ones choosing the characters. Who Namco would pick, who Monolith would pick, who they have affinities for, it's all missing the mark. They don't call the shots.

And, it's not like how third-parties get included is inconsistent. Maybe why they get included is, but not how. It begins with Nintendo and Sakurai.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So again

What exactly is keeping KOS-MOS alive?

Like, yeah, Verg and Sabi haven't outright killed her, but her main leak is dead, Sabi's said pretty much nothing about her, and Verg's just all sorts of floundering rn.

There's really not a lot keeping her afloat, yet, it 'feels' like she's the thread's current front runner?

Or at least, she's lasted over 24 hours, which is an achievement at this point.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While agreeing with the whole it begins with Sakurai, I still feel like linking a thing from a page of hers just showing how many things she cameos in or is referenced in just Namco stuff alone.

c8dfd19ac191851c7d0789786b952447.png

82167f3574dbac1b74a7e3a3259927e6.png

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
So again

What exactly is keeping KOS-MOS alive?

Like, yeah, Verg and Sabi haven't outright killed her, but her main leak is dead, Sabi's said pretty much nothing about her, and Verg's just all sorts of floundering rn.

There's really not a lot keeping her afloat, yet, it 'feels' like she's the thread's current front runner?

Or at least, she's lasted over 24 hours, which is an achievement at this point.
Yea like I dont know Kos-mos all that well so I probably not the one to say this but while Kos-mos is like a mascot to Namco there are still more likely characters to consider. So I dont know how she is still here despite her leaks being dead.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yea like I dont know Kos-mos all that well so I probably not the one to say this but while Kos-mos is like a mascot to Namco there are still more likely characters to consider. So I dont know how she is still here despite her leaks being dead.
****ing finally, a brain cell

While agreeing with the whole it begins with Sakurai, I still feel like linking a thing from a page of hers just showing how many things she cameos in or is referenced in just Namco stuff alone.

View attachment 251836

View attachment 251837
link the wiki

bet you i could find something similar on tekken fandom :nifty: i dont have the time to though

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I hope there's a reveal at the game awards, even if it's someone I'm not particularly interested in. Anyways, I've got something dumb to say.

Imagine there was a Pass for each company in the game right now and Sakurai and the devs told YOU (yes, you) that you got to decide who's in. That means a Fighters Pass for...
  • Atlus
  • Bandai Namco
  • Capcom
  • Konami
  • Microsoft
  • Nintendo
  • SEGA
  • SNK
  • Square Enix
In that case, who would you add? Try to keep it between 3-6 characters each. Also, try to keep it one character per franchise, and spirits/assist trophies are allowed. (You can still choose to omit them if you'd like.) Here's my picks. Keep in mind that I don't want all of the characters listed here, though.
Not too familiar with Atlus. Sorry. :/
  1. Yusuke
  2. Uh...
  1. Dig Dug
  2. Lloyd Irving
  3. KOS-MOS
  4. Heihachi Mishima
  5. Chosen Undead
  6. Agumon
  1. Dante
  2. Phoenix Wright
  3. Amaterasu
  4. Zero
  5. Morrigan Aensland
  6. Leon Kennedy
Not too familiar with Konami either... .-.
  1. Raiden
  2. Alucard
  3. (This is where I'd add Pyramid Head if Konami didn't let the rights expire...)
  1. Master Chief
  2. Steve
  3. Rash
  4. Mumbo Jumbo
  5. Conker the Squirrel
  6. Joanna Dark
  1. Rex
  2. Isaac
  3. Geno
  4. Byleth
  5. Porky Minch
  6. Krystal
  1. Shadow the Hedgehog
  2. Arle Nadja
  3. Billy Hatcher
  4. Kiryu Kazuma
  5. Vyse
  1. Haohmaru
  2. Marco Rossi
  3. Ralf Jones
    • (Athena Asamiya too if they're not repping the same series)
  1. (Insert Final Fantasy protag (besides Cloud :ultcloud:) here)
  2. Neku Sakuraba
  3. Marina Lightyear (Did I spell that right?)
  4. Gex

No because it's a secret.
These are mostly picks I want, so there might be characters I think should be picked that aren't listed. For each company pass, I'm also assuming it's the only company pass.
  • Jack Frost (or whoever Idon wants the most from SMT, assuming they're not too violent)
  • Rondoline E. Effenberg
  • Yoshimitsu
  • KOS-MOS
  • Klonoa
  • Zero
  • Takenaka Hanbei
  • Nash Latkje
  • Rash
  • Skull Kid
  • Byleth
  • Isaac
  • Ray
  • Andy
  • Knuckles (only if he can burrow and travel underground)
  • B. Jenet (Garou)
  • Goenitz (King of Fighters) (Goeniko would be cool, too)
  • Janne D'Arc (only if she were given a bunch of new whip sword moves)
  • Neku Sakuraba
  • Geno

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Is KOS-MOS from the same series as Shulk? I’m not familiar with the Xeno series so if someone would explain...

Shroob

Sup?
Is KOS-MOS from the same series as Shulk? I’m not familiar with the Xeno series so if someone would explain...
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sorta yes no.

Xenoblade has nothing to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga.

The Xeno suffix is the same, but outside of cameos like KOSMOS appearing in XB2, they're basically all their own beast.

Meaning she wouldn't have the Monado as her icon obviously. She'd be a "New" series.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
For a Nintendo/Namco collaboration, there sure is a lack of Namco pushing their own characters. :secretkpop:
I know right? Seems weird! Almost like we might find out that an intentional complete lack of Namco representation introduced in Ultimate isn't the case.

What, do you think Namco put Sakurai at gunpoint demanding a Namco character?
I really don't think the idea of an early mutual agreement in this area is controversial.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, for those claiming KOS-MOS is crossover queen, keep in mind that most of the crossover titles people picture are developed by Monolith. Namco x Capcom, the Project X Zones, they're all Monolith. Other Namco crossovers (like Cross Edge or Street Fighter x Tekken), which aren't developed by Monolith, don't feature KOS-MOS. And yes, the latter does have characters besides those strictly from Street Fighter and Tekken.

She does cameo in other Namco games, but a ton of Namco characters cross-pollinate. Pac-Man, Mappy, Heihachi, Klonoa, Valkyrie, Don-chan, Prince of Cosmos, etc. Namco is very liberal about in-house cameos.

Shroob

Sup?
You posting nonstop about her for a good while now probably helps.
I'm more curious than anything.

I'm entertaining the idea of "It'd be neat", but I'm just trying to understand.

This thread's thrown out characters for less, and considering neither of the two people this thread commonly looks at for answers have said ****, you'd assume it would be no different here.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The only reason I'm inclined moreso to think KOS MOS has a better chance than normal is because of a reason that's not a very good reason in the first place.

The Mii costumes.

We're still missing a handful, and a good amount of those are the Namco ones, which I just don't see them scrapping.

Joker brought most of the SEGA ones, Hero got some new Square ones, Banjo didn't get any Microsoft ones but we got some returning Capcom, a new Konami and some Nintedo ones, and Terry brought some SNK with the Akira and Jacky ones returning.

Mii costumes returning, at the end of the day mean absolutely nothing since they can pretty much come with anything as Banjo is shown, so for all we know, Fighter 5 may not have any Mii costumes and they just dump a bunch of old ones with them.

But the Heihachi Mii not retuning with Terry when they brought attention that these were a selection of Fighting Game costumes is a bit sus, as minor as it is.
Let me back you up on the mii bits. There is nothing for Lloyd, yet we have reports of tales of and tekken getting copyrights around the same time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda sorta yes no.

Xenoblade has nothing to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga.

The Xeno suffix is the same, but outside of cameos like KOSMOS appearing in XB2, they're basically all their own beast.

Meaning she wouldn't have the Monado as her icon obviously. She'd be a "New" series.
but shroob wikipedia told me youre wrong

I.D.

Smash Lord
This thread's thrown out characters for less
This thread seems to have been operating on a "which characters are still alive" basis for a good while, since the cacodemon and mallow mii hats I think, so veggieboy making an special exception for kos-mos is worth keeping in mind by itself.

Personally I think the real kicker for kos-mos is still gamexplain, whether you believe they are a sikret leeker club or an unofficial nintendo mouthpiece trying to mold public opinion, the fact that they recently put out that female characters for smash video combined with them predicting kos-mos for fighter 5 is also going to put her on everyone's radar.

Also I don't really care about 4chan text leaks but mountain dew man is obviously never going to admit anything leaked, in fact even if he was the most honest person on earth I don't think he's legally allowed to do it.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
All these talks about KOS-MOS...
As a person who knows nothing about her and Xeno series, I'm not against it, but I'm not to thrilled about it either. She seems popular but not really my taste. If there was a Xeno something rep I would choose Rex, but he's a Mii costume.

Shroob

Sup?
This thread seems to have been operating on a "which characters are still alive" basis for a good while, since the cacodemon and mallow mii hats I think, so veggieboy making an special exception for kos-mos is worth keeping in mind by itself.
Personally I think the real kicker for kos-mos is still gamexplain, whether you believe they are a sikret leeker club or an unofficial nintendo mouthpiece trying to mold public attention, the fact that they recently put out that female characters for smash video combined with them predicting kos-mos for fighter 5 is also going to put her on everyone's radar.

Also I don't really care about 4chan text leaks but mountain dew man is obviously never going to admit anything leaked, in fact even if he was the most honest person on earth I don't think he's legally allowed to do it.
I agree with you on Gamexplain, but I find it odd.

KOS-MOS has appeared on their "Who do we want as fighter 5" list before, though Derrick(?) was the one to say it, but it feels odd as hell for Jon to go on a rant about "Boo hoo I don't leak ****(He does)", and then just leak **** less than 24 hours later. No one's going to take him seriously after that if it does wind up being KOS-MOS.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
plot twist baby it's xenogears the whole time

1575976926555.png

ooooo we're getting gundam type vibes up in here

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Also, for those claiming KOS-MOS is crossover queen, keep in mind that most of the crossover titles people picture are developed by Monolith. Namco x Capcom, the Project X Zones, they're all Monolith. Other Namco crossovers (like Cross Edge or Street Fighter x Tekken), which aren't developed by Monolith, don't feature KOS-MOS. And yes, the latter does have characters besides those strictly from Street Fighter and Tekken.

She does cameo in other Namco games, but a ton of Namco characters cross-pollinate. Pac-Man, Mappy, Heihachi, Klonoa, Valkyrie, Don-chan, Prince of Cosmos, etc. Namco is very liberal about in-house cameos.
Thank you. Namco reusing her internally is very different from her being popular. Compare with Terry who also gets around in crossovers but with a variety of companies rather than just SNK properties.

Mind it's more about what Sakurai would do and he would definitely avoid every other Namco character so he can rebound from XB2 on Kosmos.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
but it feels odd as hell for Jon to go on a rant about "Boo hoo I don't leak ****(He does)", and then just leak **** less than 24 hours later. No one's going to take him seriously after that if it does wind up being KOS-MOS.
Jon's one of those types of people who goes immediately back on their word but has to live up a lie just to not get embarrassed.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888

The difference is that KOS-MOS has a reputation built on this, in part because of her comparatively-limited number of main games + their overall lukewarm reception. Yes, that will first and foremost come off as me insulting Xenosaga, but it's a testament to KOS-MOS's achievement as a mascot and a reason why her joining the Smash roster would be appropriate.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Personally I think the real kicker for kos-mos is still gamexplain, whether you believe they are a sikret leeker club or an unofficial nintendo mouthpiece trying to mold public opinion, the fact that they recently put out that female characters for smash video combined with them predicting kos-mos for fighter 5 is also going to put her on everyone's radar.

What I find annoying is that people drag stuff like Doom and Geno into the discussion about being possible dlc fighters, when both are easily dismissible because Geno is a spirit, which is already considered as scrapped before Ultimate’s December release (since Dlc fighters are chosen before this period), and Doom is western, which is something that explains Banjo’s lack of costumes as Sakurai struggles on making deals with western companies. You can basically swap out any spirit character with Geno and any western character with Doom and still be right about their exclusion from fighter #5. Also, miis obviously mean exclusion from the pass whether the costume is in ultimate or not.

I’m sorry, I’m just tired of dragged out ground.

The difference is that KOS-MOS has a reputation built on this, in part because of her comparatively-limited number of main games + their overall lukewarm reception. Yes, that will first and foremost come off as me insulting Xenosaga, but it's a testament to KOS-MOS's achievement as a mascot and a reason why her joining the Smash roster would be appropriate.
Do you find it likely Sakurai is actually interested/biased in the the overall monoloith soft stuff. He gives their stuff special attention, like the spotlight for the Rex mii deconfirmation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would've brought Morrigan into this situation, though literally being bound for "Smash is for good boys and girls" is like me on a chain getting yanked.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
"They should be this crossover because they are in a lot of crossovers" is not a very engaging argument for putting any character in, especially one meant to come with Spirits, music and and a stage all pulling from their iconic appearances. There are many characters who also provide interesting movesets with good designs but have the benefit of people caring about things besides the character themselves too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I agree with you on Gamexplain, but I find it odd.

KOS-MOS has appeared on their "Who do we want as fighter 5" list before, though Derrick(?) was the one to say it, but it feels odd as hell for Jon to go on a rant about "Boo hoo I don't leak ****(He does)", and then just leak **** less than 24 hours later. No one's going to take him seriously after that if it does wind up being KOS-MOS.
Then it turns out that Jon gave someone else the info to leak as Jon's big brain play. "Oh wow guys Ash called it! Now bugger off"

Barrubo

Smash Apprentice
Didn't I hear that the mii costumes have ended with Terry? I dont remember where I got it from but I'm saw I hear a youtuber said it ones.

Shroob

Sup?
Then it turns out that Jon gave someone else the info to leak as Jon's big brain play. "Oh wow guys Ash called it! Now bugger off"
Jon being the mastermind behind the KOS MOS leak to get people to **** off from calling him a leaker is my favorite canon now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I mean, is there really 'any' evidence?

The leak that gave her credibility is apparently dead, and all we have left are:

Sabi literally not saying **** for the first time in her life

Verg literally confused in all hell how her trademark works

And Jon Gamexplain saying he wants her to be shown off......... right after he went on a rant on Twitter about how he's not a leaker 100%, so it'd be weird as hell for him to start leaking **** after he went on a rant saying he's not(Even though he is).

There really isn't any circumstantial evidence other than Verg suddenly getting confused about her copyright.
Well the "evidence", as much as it would have a Judge in hysterics if you presented it in court:

Still no Namco Mii costumes and The Daisy Theory (particularly that Cosmos are also flowers.)

BlackInk

Smash Lord
"They should be this crossover because they are in a lot of crossovers" is not a very engaging argument for putting any character in, especially one meant to come with Spirits, music and and a stage all pulling from their iconic appearances. There are many characters who also provide interesting movesets with good designs but have the benefit of people caring about things besides the character themselves too.
What matters the most is Sakurai. He gives us unique “troll” fighters because they represent a part of Nintendo’s history and be distinct from the rest of the cast, except for the plant. In situations where he has one time chance to get the characters he likes, he’s more likely to include them in the game. Pac-Man has crossover stuff in him, but he’s basically the only example for this.

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't I hear that the mii costumes have ended with Terry? I dont remember where I got it from but I'm saw I hear a youtuber said it ones.
No?

Mii costumes are cheap to make and they're basically free money to put out, especially porting over old ones.

Pretty sure that Sans, despite only being .75 cents, raked in a huge profit comparative to what it took to make.

Last edited:

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Hence why KOS-MOS would ideally represent more than just Xenosaga, which after Terry I see as a possibility.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Veterans of Smash 4 speculation, please tell me your war stories. I am interested in hearing about them,
Speculation regarding Pac-Man as a newcomer in Smash 4 is by far the worst thing I've ever come across when discussing said topic. The whole "He isn't iconic enough" and/or "He has no history with Nintendo" being reasons he shouldn't be included infuriates me even to this day. And it wasn't just exclusive to this site either. This came up in places like gamefaqs and 4chan. The fact that this was even debated is the real mind blowing thing to me. It's almost like Pac-Man was a joke to these people. The amount of disrespect they gave him is just unreal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom