• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

H3ra

Smash Rookie
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

So who would y’all put as your top 4 for DLC wants.
Reimu (Touhou Project)
Amaterasu (Okami)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Suguri (Suguri)

D

Deleted member

We need to study Sakurai's entire life. It is the only way to determine FP5 and all future DLC. LET'S GET MOVING.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys any updates on 5?
And is namco still out of the running for now?

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I know wishlists can get really repetitive, but we’ve had a lot of lesser talked about characters get the spotlight recently and any other topic is better than insider drama.

If I had to say 4 it’d be; Crash, Geno, Ezio and Master Chief. The last 2 are just pipe dream ‘never ever’ characters.

That being said I genuinely don’t mind who gets in from this point, in fact I’m really looking forward to TGA delivering a complete surprise for us - its starting to look like it will be our first blind reveal since Joker.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Ain't gonna lie: This whole drama on the Geno thread just makes me roll my eyes. It doesn't help that I gradually lost interest in the idea of Geno being in Smash post-Brawl. I mean if he got in cool but he's not in my top most wanted.

I feel like I'm gonna get lynched for saying I don't care if Geno gets in Smash or not, aren't I? Oh no.
To be frank, any interest I had in Geno has evaporated when we got Megaman, Mii Gunner, Cloud, and Hero.
Anything Geno had to offer was used by these characters.
Even if that wasn't the case, we have gotten more interesting characters in Smash.
We got Banjo and Kazooie for crying out loud and they were in a much worse position than Geno.
I would congratulate the Geno thread if their character gets in, but I'm not holding my breath.
Master Chief/Doom Slayer (Halo)/(Doom)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes)
Quote (Cave Story)

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice

1.Dante
2.Sora
3.Shadow the Hedgehog
4.Zack Fair

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will admit, I posted in the Geno thread maybe way too much. And well, I really took the time to reevaluate who I actually wanted and what made me stick around in that thread for so long. I realized I wasn't as Geno obsessed as the rest of them and it started to feel wrong hanging around the thread when I was not as devoted. I think I stuck around because they really enjoyed my (more than likely terrible) memes. Seeing all this about to explode finally gave me the push to just outright leave the thread and focus on characters I am actually passionate about regardless of how likely they are.
As a veteran speculator who has been around since 2001, Geno's story as a long time request is basically very much revisionist thinking. There have been two points where Geno was within the Top 10 most wanted characters:
1. Pre-Brawl starting with the summer of 2006
2. After Ultimate's formal unveil with Ridley confirmation and "everyone is here"

There is a post I want to make on this. The thing is that Geno was only briefly "big" in the Smash fanbdom. He first took off as a popular request in the summer of 2006 due to showing up more two times in Sakurai's Brawl suggestion journal (I almost wonder if those suggestions were cherry picked in particular because Sakurai himself is a Geno fan), and a viral Newsground animated video called Rawest Forest. Geno was within the Top 10 usually the lower end, but not anywhere near the megastars (Sonic, Ridley, Diddy Kong).

Geno basically collapsed after Brawl's release though. The extent of Geno's collapse was not a gradual dissipation. He had the most drastic reduction of support of any pre-Brawl character. Krystal, Midna, Dark Samus, Lyn are had big drop offs too, but Geno's decline went from the Top 10 to being less requested than every notable Mario character (Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, Toad).

I do not think it was mostly due to Geno seeming like "impossible". The fact is that Banjo-Kazooie, a character literally owned by a competitor to Nintendo, did well in polls during pre-Smash 4, and this was before any higher-ups said anything about liking the idea of Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash (though he was only in the lower end of the Top 10 at best if only including newcomers).

Geno did not start to have some people talking about him again until the Mii Costume's inclusion, and Sakurai himself personally said that he was a fan of Geno and wanted him in since Brawl (a blessing that currently no other character has).

I feel the people supporting Geno during pre-Smash 4 were the legitimate Geno supporters, and how support behind him that was not bandwagon fuelled. People that actually loved him how he was in Super Mario RPG.

The fact is that in the present time, there is a desperate need to belong, a new for "tribe", especially in a time where many people feel atomized and the culture seems deeply fractured. For many, being part of a "team" or backing a "team" fulfills that meaning, and longing for belonging.

In the present time, all the longtime requests have all gotten in. In the eyes of the community there are notable "historical" Nintendo characters left to add (
NO NO YOU GET BACK IN THE CLOSET DIXIE
). There is basically nothing left for people to feel like that are behind something with a history.

That is where Geno comes in. In many's minds, he was just the same as Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Sonic. The thing is though all of those characters are icons of their respective franchises. Geno is not even the biggest standout of Super Mario RPG (many have mentioned how Geno is just kind of there in SMRPG storyline wise). Up until the summer of 2006, many actually said Bowser was the most memorable party member of Super Mario RPG (it was the first time he ever allied with Mario afterall, and the second time ever where he had ever been playable).

I think it was a perfect storm that made Geno becoming big in the first place, and a result of the Mii costume it has all come back (I think it all comes back to Sakurai personally being a fan of the character).

The thing is. You are right. You did the right thing. Search what you actually have feelings for, search for whom you actually want to feel in, not where you think you will get the most companionship or "social club".

Back during much of pre-Brawl, I felt hesitant to speak up for Roy because the biggest and loudest voices in the community were against him. I felt that if I spoke up, I would similarly chastised for supporting a character that was not "cool" with the "cool kids". However, as I realized that my own voice was just as important as that of other's, I started to care less and less. I knew there were lots of others who had also appreciated Roy, but were similarly afraid to speak up, and that ended up being the case (though for the longest time lots of Roy supporters were pretty passive). Sometimes all it takes is one man to shout to bring about a revolution of change. It took a long time but eventually Roy had a bunch of passionate supporters fighting for his inclusion.

Do not be afraid of your own heart. Do not be afraid of the mob. Do not sacrifice what you think and feel, your soul, just because a bunch of strangers won't let you into their "cool club". If it is a character they think poorly of, or if its a character that they think highly of that you have a different opinion on, do not censor yourself.

This all being said, I do think Geno is going to be playable in Ultimate, and I feel absolutely confident in that. I also think he is going to be one of the best characters competitively in this game (Sakurai has been cooking his moveset for over a decade and personally really likes him), or at the very least high tier. Those are predictions I feel confident in, and I rarely feel that (

I know this is likely all very controversial, and a lot of you will vehemently disagree with what I said, but I do not care anymore. This what I think.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Assuming Resident Evil is out for the entire DLC cycle:

- Dante
- Crash
- Sol Badguy
- Phoenix Wright

Fifth spot would be for 2B.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If this is true since I still don't trust Vergeben or Sabi at this point.

Brawl::olimar:
Sm4sh (Base)::4duckhunt:
Sm4sh (DLC)::4bayonetta:
Ultimate (Base)::ultken::ultincineroar:
Ultimate (DLC): Baboom

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's Baboom?

Rillaboom is Grookey's final Evo but when I look up Baboom all I get is a Portuguese music service.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
As a veteran speculator who has been around since 2001, Geno's story as a long time request is basically very much revisionist thinking. There have been two points where Geno was within the Top 10 most wanted characters:
1. Pre-Brawl starting with the summer of 2006
2. After Ultimate's formal unveil with Ridley confirmation and "everyone is here"

There is a post I want to make on this. The thing is that Geno was only briefly "big" in the Smash fanbdom. He first took off as a popular request in the summer of 2006 due to showing up more two times in Sakurai's Brawl suggestion journal (I almost wonder if those suggestions were cherry picked in particular because Sakurai himself is a Geno fan), and a viral Newsground animated video called Rawest Forest. Geno was within the Top 10 usually the lower end, but not anywhere near the megastars (Sonic, Ridley, Diddy Kong).

Geno basically collapsed after Brawl's release though. The extent of Geno's collapse was not a gradual dissipation. He had the most drastic reduction of support of any pre-Brawl character. Krystal, Midna, Dark Samus, Lyn are had big drop offs too, but Geno's decline went from the Top 10 to being less requested than every notable Mario character (Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, Toad).

I do not think it was mostly due to Geno seeming like "impossible". The fact is that Banjo-Kazooie, a character literally owned by a competitor to Nintendo, did well in polls during pre-Smash 4, and this was before any higher-ups said anything about liking the idea of Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash (though he was only in the lower end of the Top 10 at best if only including newcomers).

Geno did not start to have some people talking about him again until the Mii Costume's inclusion, and Sakurai himself personally said that he was a fan of Geno and wanted him in since Brawl (a blessing that currently no other character has).

I feel the people supporting Geno during pre-Smash 4 were the legitimate Geno supporters, and how support behind him that was not bandwagon fuelled. People that actually loved him how he was in Super Mario RPG.

The fact is that in the present time, there is a desperate need to belong, a new for "tribe", especially in a time where many people feel atomized and the culture seems deeply fractured. For many, being part of a "team" or backing a "team" fulfills that meaning, and longing for belonging.

In the present time, all the longtime requests have all gotten in. In the eyes of the community there are notable "historical" Nintendo characters left to add (
NO NO YOU GET BACK IN THE CLOSET DIXIE
). There is basically nothing left for people to feel like that are behind something with a history.

That is where Geno comes in. In many's minds, he was just the same as Ridley, K. Rool, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Sonic. The thing is though all of those characters are icons of their respective franchises. Geno is not even the biggest standout of Super Mario RPG (many have mentioned how Geno is just kind of there in SMRPG storyline wise). Up until the summer of 2006, many actually said Bowser was the most memorable party member of Super Mario RPG (it was the first time he ever allied with Mario afterall, and the second time ever where he had ever been playable).

I think it was a perfect storm that made Geno becoming big in the first place, and a result of the Mii costume it has all come back (I think it all comes back to Sakurai personally being a fan of the character).

The thing is. You are right. You did the right thing. Search what you actually have feelings for, search for whom you actually want to feel in, not where you think you will get the most companionship or "social club".

Back during much of pre-Brawl, I felt hesitant to speak up for Roy because the biggest and loudest voices in the community were against him. I felt that if I spoke up, I would similarly chastised for supporting a character that was not "cool" with the "cool kids". However, as I realized that my own voice was just as important as that of other's, I started to care less and less. I knew there were lots of others who had also appreciated Roy, but were similarly afraid to speak up, and that ended up being the case (though for the longest time lots of Roy supporters were pretty passive). Sometimes all it takes is one man to shout to bring about a revolution of change. It took a long time but eventually Roy had a bunch of passionate supporters fighting for his inclusion.

Do not be afraid of your own heart. Do not be afraid of the mob. Do not sacrifice what you think and feel, your soul, just because a bunch of strangers won't let you into their "cool club". If it is a character they think poorly of, or if its a character that they think highly of that you have a different opinion on, do not censor yourself.

This all being said, I do think Geno is going to be playable in Ultimate, and I feel absolutely confident in that. I also think he is going to be one of the best characters competitively in this game (Sakurai has been cooking his moveset for over a decade and personally really likes him), or at the very least high tier. Those are predictions I feel confident in, and I rarely feel that (

I know this is likely all very controversial, and a lot of you will vehemently disagree with what I said, but I do not care anymore. This what I think.
You actually really hit the nail on the head for me. Thank you.

I've always been so self conscious about my wishlists. They never really fit in with everyone else outside of a few characters. I think I've just consciously made me think I wanted characters others wanted because I wanted to fit in.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord

Paper Mario is my only DLC want who's under the radar, while Frisk is debatably dead. Most of my wanted characters, Arle Nadja, Crash Bandicoot and Lloyd Irving are all popular or decently popular in the Speculation Scene.

Still: Arle -> Crash -> Paper Mario -> Lloyd Irving

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I mean, I think anyone can agree that Geno would be better than adding Blue Copper Dark Baby Angry Cosmic Waluigi Jr. or whatever other random nonsense characters they add with no purpose than being filler.

I will never not be mad about Baby Rosalina's illogical existence.
Oh yeah, like imagine if they picked up some dudes from SMRPG, Mario & Luigi, and the Super Mario/Wario Land series. That's so many characters to choose from. It wouldn't get boring.
I actually miss the human nobodies from the Tennis and Golf games. I think they're out of the picture now that Miis are a thing.
Same, I enjoy my sackboy thread, but MAN what I would give for it to have even half of what Genos getting
You know, I think I have a theory as to why Ridley, KKR, Banjo and Geno have such passionate fanbases.

So these four guys have something in common: All were relevant within the release of the first Smash bros. Imagine you were ten years old, and you see a commercial of Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Mario and Pikachu beating each other up. Keep in mind, Pokemon was also huge at the time, so to see Pikachu with Mario must've been crazy. You buy the game, and there it is: All of these characters from different franchises beating each other up. Let's say a few years prior to Smash 64, you've been a huge Donkey Kong or Metroid fan. Banjo and Geno were super relevant at the time as well. You'd do anything to see these characters in Smash.

As the years go by, more Smash games come out. The roster gets bigger and bigger, adding a mixture of old time favorites and new blood. You still haven't given up on the dream that Banjo or Geno could be in. In 2015, Sakurai lends out a ballot, making your dream character a "now or never" sort of deal. I think that about sums it up. If you look at the current Smash newcomers, you'll see that a lot of these chars are over 20 years old. They're aimed at the very first generation of Smashers, the people who made Smash what it is today. Younger characters don't see as much support for whatever reason; maybe it's because there's always the possibility of them being looked over after a few years? I think that's the gist of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom