• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

A dramatic recreation of current events:

Jonneh: Leaking stuff as usual.

Vergeben: I gotta have a good leak.

Jonnny Test: Vegeta, you ****ing leaker, you are so big and leaky, why are you so leaking.?

Verga:I leak, Jon, it's what i do. It's time to discomfirm Gordon from the Fighter Pass.

Jonathan Joestar: Don't do it Vergeben, you will ruin the surprise.

Vega: Your going into the discomfirm heaven, you stupid crowbar man *Posts that Gordon is not Fighter Pass 5*

John Cena: VEEEEEEEEERGEEEBEEEEEEEN!

Veggie Burger: Time for a leak, im a poster who loves to spoil.

Joe: VERGEBEN YOU ****ING SPOILER.

Vergeben because i ran out of funny names: I hate Smash Babies. Im bored i want to discomfirm some characters.

Joseph: You are discomfirming everything in speculation, VERNBEGING.

Vertigo: Enough with the chit chat, let's get some discomfirmations going.

*BAD KILL TIME*

Jon: Where is Doomguy?

Verg: I discomfirmed that boi.

Jon: Where are the Falcom Characters?

Verg: I discomfirmed those boiss.

Jon: Where did Arle Nadja went?

Verg:

Jon: You are such a bad user that's it i'v had it with you that does it, IM DONE this is it that's the last ****ing straw VERGEBENINIO.
Meanwhile:

Lesley: Where's my female rep?

Vergeben: Uh...no Tracer. Deconfirmed.

Lesley: Aww come on! I always wanted Overwatch goddammit!

Vergeben: Deconfirmed the Mii leak, happy now?

Lesley: Yes but I want my female fighter.

Vergeben: Well...deconfirm all Bamco reps, including your beloved Cyborg Rei Ayanami?

Lesley: Anyone but her!

Vergeben: Deconfirmed, along with all of Bamco?

Lesley: I've got nothing left.

Vergeben: Deconfirmed Reimu.

Lesley: The Doujin Leak is dead and you had to kill it twice DAMN YOU

Vergeben: Deconfirmed Arle.

Lesley: Screw you, well I suck with Robin and Hero anyway.

Vergeben: Uh...deconfirm Kat?

Lesley: My friend wanted her so bad...how could you do this to her?

Vergeben: Im just doing my job.

Lesley: *goes Blood Velvet* ANSWER ME YOU NITWIT

Vergeben: I'll give you this one. Capcom is still in the running. You still have the lawyer and the sun goddess, but there's a teeny chance your lovely sexy succubus that's not for good boys and girls will come to pass.

Lesley: sigh...I'l take the sun goddess and my succubus anyway. Well, good luck to me then.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So for me it would mean....

Namco out - Damn, so no KOS-MOS or Mappy, my dark horse from the company.
Level 5 - Always betted them as the dark horse.
Falcom - As a massive fan of Trails, means no Rean or Estelle. There goes Adol too.
Ubi - Another dark horse.
Sakura and Kat - Damn two of my most wanted is out. Putting these two together cause I am a massive fan of Kohei Tanaka's music and that the biggest reason for me to see one or the other
Tracer, Reimu and Crash - Wouldn't have minded them.

My money is now on......

Monster Hunter - It's got content on there, will be very surprised if the series doesn't get a playable.
Dovahkiin - I'm not into Bethesda's games outside of Dishonored but I can see this one being a blindsider.
Travis Touchdown - I will be very, very surprised if we come out of Ultimate without him playable. This is the type of series that could get a nice push with the game. I know there has been a sort of ambiguity about his deconfimation.
First Party Nintendo Rep - Would find it odd to end it but who knows.

There's a few more but I'm a bit busy today so I'll wait and see. Hopefully we'll get a smaller range of who it could be and not outright confirmation.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I don't think a company will get two characters in one pack, so I think Master Chief is out (at least for this DLC pack).

D

Deleted member

There were a lot of doubters, but I didn't expect Vergeboy to go back on his original list. Sakura, Tracer, Reimu, Crash, Kat, and Arle sacrificed their souls to save everyone else from his tyranny.

Dynasty Warriors is still a contender for FP5 since he hasn't listed the series in any capacity nor is Koei-Tecmo completely out of the picture. I'll still be leaning towards Geralt being FP5 with the Game Awards being so close by unless Nintendo decides to shadowdrop a Smash reveal before the event.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
So... after this massive blip of characters.

Did someone stay dead or we are back to exactly the same before Vergeben's yesterday list?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't think a company will get two characters in one pack, so I think Master Chief is out (at least for this DLC pack).
You know Sakurai think there’s rules but ends them

“Too small” :ultolimar:
“No dead characters” :ultdarksamus:
“Too pacifist }:ultvillager:
“No sexual (toned down)” :ultbayonetta1:
“Can’t go above 2 characters from a. 3rd party game” :ultsimon::ultrichter:

“No non main characters” :ultpiranha:

“No irelavant characters” :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

And ofcoarse the most iconic of all “too big” :ultridley:

And there’s more rules broken than this

Anything is possible so that’s not a reason he’s out

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So... after this massive blip of characters.

Did someone stay dead or we are back to exactly the same before Vergeben's yesterday list?
Namco stays dead
Capcom stays dead (I think)
Nintendo came back
(Supposedly) AT/Spirit Promotion came back
Spike Chunsoft, Marvelous, ASW came back
Reimu’s now dead
Sakura Shinguji’s now dead

idk what else

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Namco stays dead
Capcom stays dead (I think)
Nintendo came back
(Supposedly) AT/Spirit Promotion came back
Spike Chunsoft, Marvelous, ASW came back
Reimu’s now dead
Sakura Shinguji’s now dead

idk what else
Capcom is still alive, depending on who you believe. Vergeben hasn't heard Capcom at all, but Nazyrus has heard it's deconfirmed. I take it as very soft considering how most people are tap dancing around the subject.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Hmmmm, this certainly is a wild ride. I’m still trying to come to terms with everything going on with all of the leakers.

After I come to terms with things in a few hours, I’ll probably pop back in and make a prediction. I’m still on Team Vergeben for the moment. His name is German for “forgiveness,” so I have it in me to forgive him for one mistake like this.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What confuses me is how Verge meant that his initial last was a miscommunication and that he thought the entire company was out when checking specific characters, yet the new list is a lot smaller with Koei, ArcSys, Marvelous and more no longer on the list. Who did he suggest to know if these companies are indeed out and why backtrack on all the companies?

Groose

Smash Champion
As his name might suggest, Verge is German. English isn’t his first language—and it may not be his source’s primary, either. Miscommunications do happen, although this was a big blunder to make.

D

Deleted member

Hmmmm, this certainly is a wild ride. I’m still trying to come to terms with everything going on with all of the leakers.

After I come to terms with things in a few hours, I’ll probably pop back in and make a prediction. I’m still on Team Vergeben for the moment. His name is German for “forgiveness,” so I have it in me to forgive him for one mistake like this.
OH MY GOD YOU ARE ALIVE!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What confuses me is how Verge meant that his initial last was a miscommunication and that he thought the entire company was out when checking specific characters, yet the new list is a lot smaller with Koei, ArcSys, Marvelous and more no longer on the list. Who did he suggest to know if these companies are indeed out and why backtrack on all the companies?
It's possible he just didn't give examples for some companies. Like he just listed Capcom but also thought "you know there's a good chance they have no idea what Project Shanghai is."

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I think it was more like he sent a list of companies and for some of them he was like "Sega (eg Arle Nadja)" and "ZUN (Reimu Hakurei)" and the guy was like "Oh they haven't heard of any of those ones" and instead of getting clarification Verge just thought the "them" meant the whole list rather than the example characters.

I appreciate how clear Verge was tbh, it seems like a pretty easy mistake to make when it definitely seems like he's basically asking a friend of a friend of a friend.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
It's possible he just didn't give examples for some companies. Like he just listed Capcom but also thought "you know there's a good chance they have no idea what Project Shanghai is."
Even still, you’d think Capcom would be the one you’d wanna knock out first. They’ve always been paired with Namco with how likely they are to take five, but even after Namco was disconfirmed, Capcom’s been left to the wayside until now I presume if Verg gets answers. I am aware that the NOA ambassador claimed no Capcom, yet I’d rather wait until we get a confirmation from Verg or Sabi before calling it quits.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Flyboy and Opossum got the right idea with it. He even discussed it in his clarification.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954?jumpto=162#162
For those who don't want to open the link, here's the quote.
"Yes. For an example I listed
  • Sega characters (Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo and Sakura from Sakura Wars for instance)
But for instance did NOT list characters in parentheses with
  • Arc System Works characters
And Konami, Marvelous, ect. which lead to the assumption and misinterpretation that they are deconfirmed altogether too. It was a misunderstanding on my part because the response was not clear enough originally as I said in the OP."

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I have a strong feeling Waluigi is going to be the inaugural post-pass character. Everything about him really makes sense: lower budget than any third party, can use existing assets with some touch-up to make himself work, and he doesn't need a stage or any songs since Mario has plenty of both. Even if his moveset is based on something like the Mario Spin-offs, I dunno if he'd be particularly complex to program or work on. Considering how massively popular he's become, he could probably outsell everybody in the pass (pending on if certain characters get in). Low risk, high reward, and when it comes to something as not-very-likely to sell as DLC (especially when none of them are what I'd call cash cows, except Hero in Japan, and all of them appeal to adults only. Waluigi appeals to kids as well while still having a huge demographic of people with disposable income: the perfect one-two punch) then being that power combination is something not a whole lot of other characters can attest to.

Like, Jonesy and a Galarian Pokémon would be the only other options, but Jonesy is third party and Galarian Pokémon would probably be a lot more complex to design if Incineroar is anything to go by.

Unless you will die on the hill of "no Assist promotions", I see no reason not to consider him a possibility.

Groose

Smash Champion
OH MY GOD YOU ARE ALIVE!
Yep! I’ve been lurking again for a few days now, and figured that I’d join in the fun before The Game Awards.

Did you used to go by a different name here? The last time I was active around these parts, Undertale wasn’t released—and quite coincidentally, I beat it for the first time a few weeks before the Sans costume. It’s a fantastic game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Flyboy and Opossum got the right idea with it. He even discussed it in his clarification.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954?jumpto=162#162
For those who don't want to open the link, here's the quote.
"Yes. For an example I listed
  • Sega characters (Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo and Sakura from Sakura Wars for instance)
But for instance did NOT list characters in parentheses with
  • Arc System Works characters
And Konami, Marvelous, ect. which lead to the assumption and misinterpretation that they are deconfirmed altogether too. It was a misunderstanding on my part because the response was not clear enough originally as I said in the OP."
I get that but what I meant was that to me, it sounded like he asked about an ArcSys, Konami and Marvelous character, so why are none on his new list?

Also for real the Marvelous character? Absolutely Travis

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have a strong feeling Waluigi is going to be the inaugural post-pass character. Everything about him really makes sense: lower budget than any third party, can use existing assets with some touch-up to make himself work, and he doesn't need a stage or any songs since Mario has plenty of both. Even if his moveset is based on something like the Mario Spin-offs, I dunno if he'd be particularly complex to program or work on. Considering how massively popular he's become, he could probably outsell everybody in the pass (pending on if certain characters get in). Low risk, high reward, and when it comes to something as not-very-likely to sell as DLC (especially when none of them are what I'd call cash cows, except Hero in Japan, and all of them appeal to adults only. Waluigi appeals to kids as well while still having a huge demographic of people with disposable income: the perfect one-two punch) then being that power combination is something not a whole lot of other characters can attest to.

Like, Jonesy and a Galarian Pokémon would be the only other options, but Jonesy is third party and Galarian Pokémon would probably be a lot more complex to design if Incineroar is anything to go by.

Unless you will die on the hill of "no Assist promotions", I see no reason not to consider him a possibility.
I do kind of feel at this point that the first character after the fighters pass is going to be a good indication of what to expect going forward.

If we get someone like Waluigi it could be a sign that Sakurai is using "post-pass" as a way to address some of the fanbases remaining desires ......on the other hand if it's another third party (and especially someone without much demand who shows up out of the blue like Terry) then I don't really see it suddenly changing with the second post-pass character or the third.

The way I see it, the first post pass character being a promotion is the best chance characters have to get promoted, after that I think their chances start going downhill fast.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Lesley: sigh...I'l take the sun goddess and my succubus anyway. Well, good luck to me then.
truer words have never been spoken....

BTW... is dante deconfirmed or not? ( i mean by verge?) I'm not super into him.. but i reckon that his chances are pretty good in teh capcom front.

Still, again my motto, verge with a agrain of salt, sabi with truckloads of it.

Also... as a ridley and simon belmont supporter since brawl reveal, if you really want a character, a deconfirmation is not an excuse to stop supporting a character ! UMU.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Also... as a ridley and simon belmont supporter since brawl reveal, if you really want a character, a deconfirmation is not an excuse to stop supporting a character ! UMU.
I've been a Ridley and K. Rool supporter since before Smash 4's announcement, and the wait was definitely worth it. Supporting a character even if they are deconfirmed can work wonders, as the Smash ballot did help with choosing Ultimate's base game newcomers.

There is a good reason why the additional DLC announcement gave many of us hope for our most wanted characters who are not fighters to have a chance of being playable.

D

Deleted member

Yep! I’ve been lurking again for a few days now, and figured that I’d join in the fun before The Game Awards.

Did you used to go by a different name here? The last time I was active around these parts, Undertale wasn’t released—and quite coincidentally, I beat it for the first time a few weeks before the Sans costume. It’s a fantastic game.
I've want to keep it private, but i can PM you if you are interesed as to who i am.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion but this deconfirmation stuff is just making me view these leakers as attention seekers. I said this about a month back that this deconfirmation phase really is tedious and annoying. I completely agree with Jon. Leakers IMO just make themselves look like attention deprived children, the same kids who go to 4chan and make a fake leak and wait for LaxChris or Blocked Content to cover it. In fact I hope it doesn’t start happening post pass. Either just say who the character is or don’t say anything.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m starting to believe someone at Gamexplain is secretly a friend of mine and is trying to help me keep going with a lot of my hopes regarding videogames by featuring them at their recent videos:

>Pauline being Gamexplain’s most wanted female character for Smash like myself
>Being hopeful about Geno and Metroid news at the Game Awards
>Having Elma as other wanted female character too

Lighteni

Smash Journeyman

I like the idea of dividing the world’s history into the pre-Undertale era and the post-Undertale era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom