• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
What a twist of fate. The fans going over big characters are going after the smallest ones.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Last time I tried suggesting a couple of moves for a Type-Moon character I got hit with an Inappropriate Content Warning.

D

Deleted member

If #5 isn’t revealed at TGA, the Smash community is going to lose it’s collective head. Another month of this Guess Who bs would be torture. :skull:
People expect stuff too much. The more they expect, the more it won't hapoen. That's what my parents once said.

Untouch

Smash Master
Is Travis Touchdown disconfirmed yet?
I don't particularly trust these disconfirmations, but people are sleeping on Travis, with or without leaks.
While suda has said he isn't in. SNK proves that doesn't mean too much.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Does anyone think the whole fighter #5 is just ****ing stupid. I hope the leakers were dead wrong so no one would ever play their version of battle ship ever again.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
While suda has said he isn't in. SNK proves that doesn't mean too much.
We also had Grant Kirkhope lying about Banjo in Smash.
Still, I think it's better for everyone's sanity to just trust the devs when they say their character isn't in. I don't want to see ruses everywhere.

D

Deleted member

Were any more characters or companies deconfirmed? And does anyone have a compiled list of who won't be in (according to leakers) at the moment? I can't keep track of the daily shenanigans.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Whoever FP5, there is going to disappointment on either side of the coin. If Capcom really is deconfirmed, that really slams the piano lid on the fingers of a lot Capcom reps. This reveal will not end well, as either it’ll prove a leaker is wrong, or, it’ll cater to a specific fan base. The list of companies that’s out of the running for FP5 continues to grow, and with every second, out patience grows colder.

I’m beginning to think there is an obvious character we are missing, or someone to being setup to fail somewhere. After FP5, the trouble now becomes who will be part of next group of DLC, and that speculation train will go in so many circles.

I will say this. Never in my life have I ever seen a community so divided in multiple ways, like the snakes in Medusa’s hair, yet collectively aiming for the same goal which is to know who the next fighter is. I don’t think any game has had this much hype, this much stress, and this much speculation. Maybe Kingdom Hearts 3, but Smash speculation continues to be a hobby for most.

Whoever Fighter 5 is, I can only sit back and watch the disappointment, the bloodshed, the tears and the victory laps after “calling it” by this divided community once the reveal happens.

D

Deleted member

It's a wide open sandbox game with a story mode, side activities, and quests. Think Spiderman (PS4), but you can fly around everywhere instead. The more you progress in the story, the more places you can explore. You acquire most of your abilities early on in the game, but you can level Kat up by finding and collecting gems, defeating enemies, completing time based challenges, etc. There are also a couple of secret maneuvers that the game doesn't tell you about directly. You'll figure them out anyway.

The sequel has a significantly larger map and Kat gains two new transformations that she can switch to on the fly. Aside from her default mode (which is all of her powers in the first game but better), she acquires a low gravity mode that let's her do stuff like teleport, and a Hulk-like high gravity mode that turns her body and the environment into a weapon of mass destruction.

The sequel also has a camera and you can use it to take pictures of special landmarks and for scavenger hunt type quests.

There was a team that worked specifically on the sidequests in GR2, so there's a larger variety of them, but some are very hit or miss. I don't mind the casual 'slice of life' feel that they have to them, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

There's also a survival challenge mode that's basically like the Cave of Ordeals from Twilight Princess. I haven't completed that yet, so IDK how deep it goes.

The servers are down, but there used to be a boatload of online features and challenges with multiplayer aspects to them. You can no longer earn the rewards, IIRC. D: The scoreboard might still be up though, so trying to get on it is an additional thing to do after you beat the game.

I beat the first game three times and the second one twice, but it's always fun to just pick up and goof around with, especially when ya play your own music in the background. I'm also a sucker for the combat challenges; when you master it, it is unbelievably gratifying, especially in the sequel. There's nothing like Superman jumping high into the air, switching to heavy Hulk mode, and dropping back down at lightning speeds to create a powerful shockwave. Then after switching to normal mode after landing, you gravity slide over to a bad guy, leviate them with your powers, and throw them off a cliff. By then, your special bar is full, so you turn into a literal blackhole to clear out the rest of area.

I hope that helped. IDK about y'all, but I am...

Thanks for answering! Spiderman 2018 is prettt much Batman Arkham City but Spiderman so that's an exciting premise. Might look into it this summer when I repurchase a PS4

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Whoever Fighter 5 is, I can only sit back and watch the disappointment, the bloodshed, the tears and the victory laps after “calling it” by this divided community once the reveal happens.
Who knows if anyone can successfully call it when we are all in the dark.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
At this point it'll be a curveball but yeah...I just want a female character.
Jason being a curveball is precisely why I am going to predict him. At this point FP5 is probably going to be someone nobody ever saw coming, so I am going with Jason, a non-frontrunner with two recent games on the Switch and a decent legacy dating back to the NES.

D

Deleted member

Does the leaker even talk about the new mii costume line up?
Rarely. I think most fake leaks include the Mii Costumes to try and seem more legitamate, but I don't believe any of the real leakers ever provided knowledge on Mii costumes so far.

D

Deleted member

Rarely. I think most fake leaks include the Mii Costumes to try and seem more legitamate, but I don't believe any of the real leakers ever provided knowledge on Mii costumes so far.
Come to think of it, has any leaker ever got the correct time of the reveal? I'm starting to think they're all lucky guesses.

D

Deleted member

Does anyone think the whole fighter #5 is just ****ing stupid. I hope the leakers were dead wrong so no one would ever play their version of battle ship ever again.
What if your dead wrong once they’re right on who fighter 5 is not in a week?

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The costumes are actually ridiculously important. They are collated with the fighter.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Not knowing which costumes are coming with a challenger pack doesn't implies not knowing who is the character.

D

Deleted member

The costumes are actually ridiculously important. They with the fighter.
They are, but since most people care about the fighter itself, that's all leakers (and most casuals) really care about being posted. There are some exceptions, like Sans, but for the most part, the fighter is all people really care about and the Mii Costumes are just potential icing on the proverbial cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So Capcom has been deconfirmed? That kills off lots of potential characters.

Now everyone's saying it's Sora again, but I'm willing to bet that it's someone more obscure or niche as opposed to a character that panders to the VGA crowd.

I honestly hope Sakurai simply rips the bandaid off and tells us who the rest of the DLC characters are rather than making us go through this waiting game one character at a time. The Smash speculation community is a bit much and there's a reason why I only participate once every few months or so.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Now everyone's saying it's Sora again, but I'm willing to bet that it's someone more obscure or niche as opposed to a character that panders to the VGA crowd.

I honestly hope Sakurai simply rips the bandaid off and tells us who the rest of the DLC characters are rather than making us go through this waiting game one character at a time. The Smash speculation community is a bit much and there's a reason why I only participate once every few months or so.
Team Cherry or Touhou.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
wasn’t there that one that predicted all the Banjo presentation’s costumes minus Sans? I forgot what else that leak entailed though

SNEKeater

Smash Master
wasn’t there that one that predicted all the Banjo presentation’s costumes minus Sans? I forgot what else that leak entailed though
ehhh I think that "leak" was talking about Crash as one of the newcomers but don't necessarily for FP5
PapaGenos made some videos about it, in fact that source and the leak were mentioned by him if I recall correctly

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

If I remember correctly, Vergeben said last week the next character isn't niche (this is the same post that deconfirmed Nippon Ichi Software):
Vergeben said:
On the topic of niche, I can tell you another character that the next Smash DLC fighter isn't.
This means the next character is recognizable, so it's not someone obscure. Few characters who are still standing are not obsure, like Sora.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Honestly I'm slowly starting to convince myself that FP5 is going to be Fortnite Jonesy. Hasn't been disconfirmed yet, literally nobody is expecting him, and it'd be fitting for The Game Awards. If it's not someone like Reimu or Sol, the only other option I could possibly think of is Jonesy, and it's so ****ing weird to think that he might be a frontrunner by sheer virtue of most everyone else biting the dust.

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
The only exceptions to this are when there isn't a main character, be it the main character changes each game (:ultcloud::ultjoker:) or it doesn't really have a single character in it (:ultgnw::ultrob:).

Apollo could be an alternate costume though. He does seem to be similar to Phoenix in how he carries himself.
Cloud is a 1000% the main character of FF7 all but one game revolves around **** that happens to him as you play AS HIM. The only game that he isn't the main character of is a pre-sequel to HIS story. So no Cloud is not an exception to the rule, and especially not Beyonetta. Considering the fact that, number one you only ever play as Beyonetta in her games, and number two her games are literally named after her.
y'all really wasting your time speculating phoenix wright and sora
View attachment 250130
you've got trouble
That's looks so obviously fake it hurts.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly, Vergeben said last week the next character isn't niche (this is the same post that deconfirmed Nippon Ichi Software):

This means the next character is recognizable, so it's not someone obscure. Few characters who are still standing are not obsure, like Sora.
He said that the character who he was deconfirmed was niche he probably wasnt suggesting FP5 was not niche

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
What if your dead wrong once they’re right on who fighter 5 is not in a week?
If he's wrong nothing happens because he's just some conspiracy theorist on a smash forum.

If insiders are wrong nothing happens because "leakbait" will be used as scapegoat.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly I'm slowly starting to convince myself that FP5 is going to be Fortnite Jonesy. Hasn't been disconfirmed yet, literally nobody is expecting him, and it'd be fitting for The Game Awards. If it's not someone like Reimu or Sol, the only other option I could possibly think of is Jonesy, and it's so ****ing weird to think that he might be a frontrunner by sheer virtue of most everyone else biting the dust.
If Fortnite got in Smash, the internet gonna be like:

elmo.jpg

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
I hope you’re joking if you think jonesy has a chance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom