• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the topic of visual novels I'm going to bring up Steins;Gate again. It's not the most conceivable option but the story is pretty damn good. Kurisu was also in a beat em up and fighting game.
I made an Okabe support thread weeks ago and nobody replied to it so I assumed nobody on this site knew of it. Glad I am wrong.
It's one of my favorite VNs! Okabe or Kurisu getting in would be ****ing ridiculous but my god I'd flip out.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Wait, EA isn't out of the running yet...

Does that mean...?

Is it possible...?

COULD ISAAC CLARKE FROM DEAD SPACE BE IN SMASH?!

Nah lol
Hey, if Alice isn't ruled out on the basis of being a literary character, I'd be open to EA.
If I can't get Alexandra, Alice can bring the madness instead.

Or they could give us Yuri.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait, EA isn't out of the running yet...

Does that mean...?

Is it possible...?

COULD ISAAC CLARKE FROM DEAD SPACE BE IN SMASH?!

Nah lol
Sadly the good people at PSASBR showed him more love than all of EA does now.

You have to have Big Brass... objects to talk down to Zeus.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
This week marks the first anniversary of Smash Ultimate, so there might be something....otherwise we'll just have to wait an extra week for the VGAs so it's alright
Given how FP5 seems to be perceived right now, I'd rather Nintendo do a Smash direct on the 6th or 7th to reveal FP5 and then reveal the first post-pass at the VGAs to hype up the new season, potentially with one of the characters that have been deconfirmed for FP5 (which the list looks absolutely STUNNING btw)
But y'all know that ain't gonna happen, we're just gonna get a random ass at the VGAs and will have to wait for like the January direct or something lmao

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This week marks the first anniversary of Smash Ultimate, so there might be something....otherwise we'll just have to wait an extra week for the VGAs so it's alright
Given how FP5 seems to be perceived right now, I'd rather Nintendo do a Smash direct on the 6th or 7th to reveal FP5 and then reveal the first post-pass at the VGAs to hype up the new season, potentially with one of the characters that have been deconfirmed for FP5 (which the list looks absolutely STUNNING btw)
But y'all know that ain't gonna happen, we're just gonna get a random ass at the VGAs and will have to wait for like the January direct or something lmao
yeah i've honestly been wondering about an anniversary direct or something this week instead of TGAs too, though the friday/saturday date seems odd if they wanted it to be exact

geoff keighley speaking constantly about the joker reveal these last few days points more towards TGAs though so who knows

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So looking it up Namco only owns the trademark for Dark Souls, meaning they only own the franchise name, while FromSoftware owns the actual IP.

I honestly don’t know if verg would know if to make the distinction, perhaps asking for clarification would be in order.

Edit: it seems I am mistaken

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Tbh reimu dosent look like someone you reveal at a western game show
This is riding on the assumption that we are 100% going to get a TGA reveal. Not only is it uncertain that we'll even get a reveal then, the DLC characters have been selected a year ago and has no bearing on when they decide to reveal them.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, best case scenario is we get FP5 at TGA. Worst case scenario, we gotta wait 'til early January 'cause I don't see Nintendo announcing it in December anywhere except for at TGA.

I personally think a TGA reveal is like...70% likely, but we'll see as we get closer.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
IMO the last fighter will not be reveal at the VGA. Nintendo will probably want to show something fresh and new (maybe a gameplay trailer for BOTW2 or something else). Two years in a row with the same game feels kind of boring for a lot of people. I think we might get something for Ultimate's anniversary.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if Nintendo is doing a reveal separate from TGA, we'll probably hear about something this week. By my count there's 7 and a quarter hours until 9am Monday in Japan so that'll be the first chance to hear anything.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's one of my favorite VNs! Okabe or Kurisu getting in would be ****ing ridiculous but my god I'd flip out.
Same here. I didn't expect to shed as many tears I did. lmao If it got into Super Smash in any capacity I would freak out. Give me a spirit idgaf.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, most Nintendo presentations are within the middle of the week iirc, but we'll know if there's an announcement. Nintendo usually announces a presentation at least a day or two before the actual thing. But otherwise, like you said, we'll have to wait an extra week.

The amazing thing about the current list is that many of the characters who were frontrunners turned out to be out of the running. Bandai-Namco's deconfirmation for the spot is the biggest surprise, considering that a character from the company has been the talk every day.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Only problem with assuming we'll get something for Ultimate's anniversary is that to my knowledge, we have never gotten a reveal that was purposefully chosen to coincide with an anniversary.

They've never done anything special for any previous game anniversaries, I'm not so sure they'd just start now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Does anybody actually enjoy this circus of deconfirmations? To me it feels like the ****tiest game of Guess Who ever with someone who could just be ****ing with us for all we know.

osby

Smash Obsessed
IMO the last fighter will not be reveal at the VGA. Nintendo will probably want to show something fresh and new.
Sakurai personally shows up in VGA and tells people to stop waiting for Bayonetta 3 news.

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
This is riding on the assumption that we are 100% going to get a TGA reveal. Not only is it uncertain that we'll even get a reveal then, the DLC characters have been decided a year ago and has no bearing on when they decide to reveal them.
And really, I think if Reimu is #5 hypothetically speaking, Sakurai won't care where to reveal her, whether at a random Direct or the TGAs, he'll just reveal her. Sakurai is very unpredictable which is why I don't think #5 is gonna be this "Super mainstream" character that is chosen specifically to get a reaction at the Awards which we may not even get a reveal there since it's still 50/50.

SKX31

Smash Master
So if Nintendo is doing a reveal separate from TGA, we'll probably hear about something this week. By my count there's 7 and a quarter hours until 9am Monday in Japan so that'll be the first chance to hear anything.
The problem is, most Nintendo presentations are within the middle of the week iirc, but we'll know if there's an announcement. Nintendo usually announces a presentation at least a day or two before the actual thing. But otherwise, like you said, we'll have to wait an extra week.

The amazing thing about the current list is that many of the characters who were frontrunners turned out to be out of the running. Bandai-Namco's deconfirmation or the spot is the biggest surprise, considering that a character from the company has been the talk every day.
It could be either an Anniversary Direct (most likely), or Chinese presentation (wildcard, more confident in such a thing Post-Pass). I do agree that we'll hear an announcement shortly before it'll happen either way, and there are a number of characters that could be shown off in either scenario (Steve, Reimu, Dynasty Warriors etc.)

Yeah, the next week will tell a lot. If nothing happens, VGA looks a lot more likely.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
IMO the last fighter will not be reveal at the VGA. Nintendo will probably want to show something fresh and new (maybe a gameplay trailer for BOTW2 or something else). Two years in a row with the same game feels kind of boring for a lot of people. I think we might get something for Ultimate's anniversary.
I mean Ultimate has been nominated for Game of the Year there, makes sense to have a reveal there. Nintendo can also show off more than just one thing.

The Game Awards really have reiterated how exciting the Joker reveal was last year, they know smash is a big draw

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
i'm pretty sure Dark Souls is owned by From Software. Bandai Namco is only responsible for the localization outside of Japan. From Software self pusblish it in Japan.
This is a quote from the President of From Software.

"The Dark Souls series is Bandai Namco Entertainment’s IP, and Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne is Sony Interactive Entertainment’s IP. Hence, the decision to do a remake or remastering is under their jurisdiction."

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless there's a general Nintendo Direct in December instead of January, there's little reason to expect any kind of Smash presentation where they reveal Fighter #5. You already have a awards show the same month where you're expected to reveal something. Why not reveal it there?

Makes as much sense as having a Smash presentation in June when there's already E3.

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I mean Ultimate has been nominated for Game of the Year there, makes sense to have a reveal there. Nintendo can also show off more than just one thing.

The Game Awards really have reiterated how exciting the Joker reveal was last year, they know smash is a big draw
Or maybe Doritos man liked the Joker reveal and mentioned it because it was his genuine opinion of his favorite announcement. Not everything has to be a Smash reveal conspiracy.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
This is a quote from the President of From Software.

"The Dark Souls series is Bandai Namco Entertainment’s IP, and Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne is Sony Interactive Entertainment’s IP. Hence, the decision to do a remake or remastering is under their jurisdiction."
Hmm...Do you a have a link of the interview?

osby

Smash Obsessed
And really, I think if Reimu is #5 hypothetically speaking, Sakurai won't care where to reveal her, whether at a random Direct or the TGAs, he'll just reveal her. Sakurai is very unpredictable which is why I don't think #5 is gonna be this "Super mainstream" character that is chosen specifically to get a reaction at the Awards which we may not even get a reveal there since it's still 50/50.
To be honest, we've yet to get a super mainstream character in pass yet, unless you count Hero for Japan.

Piranha Plant was probably the most globally recognizable DLC character, funny enough.

D

Deleted member

Unless there's a general Nintendo Direct in December instead of January, there's little reason to expect any kind of Smash presentation where they reveal Fighter #5. You already have a awards show the same month where you're expected to reveal something. Why not reveal it there.

Makes as much sense as having a Smash presentation in June when there's already E3.
Tbf, Smash 4 revealed Roy and Ryu in a separated Smash presentation from the main one at E3.

But that’s besides the point because a Smash reveal in or around the Game Awards is strongly likely. More so since there’s a clear build up going on right now.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Sakurai personally shows up in VGA and tells people to stop waiting for Bayonetta 3 news.
Jeanne confirmed.

Forreal though... I'd lowkey love her to represent the more zanier side of Bayonetta. Ice skates, gunchuks, katanas, turning into a crow and a panther, motorcycles, those Umbran Armor mech things, etc.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Does anybody actually enjoy this circus of deconfirmations? To me it feels like the ****tiest game of Guess Who ever with someone who could just be ****ing with us for all we know.
I enjoy it. Though admittedly, my most wanted characters are all still standing.

Jeanne confirmed.

Forreal though... I'd lowkey love her to represent the more zanier side of Bayonetta.
That's the wrong white-haired lady with red clothes. Clearly, it's Elma.

For real though Jeanne as an echo would be nice

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman

I doubt Nintendo will present more than one thing. Time is limited during TGA and other compagnies probably want to show something too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I doubt Nintendo will present more than one thing. Time is limited during TGA and other compagnies probably want to show something too.
At the same time though, weren't the Bayonetta 1+2 ports, the Bayonetta 3 announcement, the Champions' Ballad DLC, and the Jump Up Superstar musical performance all in the same year?

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
You know what companies have not been disconfirmed so far: Sega, Square, and Microsoft (I think SNK is extremely unlikely). I know fan theory is that there is only one fighter per companies copyright. But just like Color Theory I've never truly bought that. Verge and Sabi may know that they aren't the companies and have never felt the need to say it. Or maybe they just never felt the need to ask. However, it is possible that their are no disconfirmations because they cannot be disconfirmed yet.

The characters in the pass aren't representing the company that owns the rights to them; they are representing their series. Joker, DQ, and Banjo are all about their series not their parent company. Terry, you can make a case for. With all the cameos and songs he does feel more like a celebration of SNK as a whole.

I can't know what the thought process was behind the DLC selection, but I just find it somewhat unlikely that Sakurai/Nintendo would cut out all the game worlds just because the rights were held by the same companies.

If I was forced to make a guess I would say Capcom and the other "new" companies are more likely, but I am pretty convinced of a large chance that fan theory is wrong and the character is from a company already in the pass.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
It's been more entertaining than debating if a printed banner is true or false. Or an endless debate about only Square / Microsoft. At least we still have multiple choices to speculate.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Tbf, Smash 4 revealed Roy and Ryu in a separated Smash presentation from the main one at E3.

But that’s besides the point because a Smash reveal in or around the Game Awards is strongly likely. More so since there’s a clear build up going on right now.
They were revealed two days prior to E3, but still. They purposely waited to reveal Roy and Ryu around the time of E3 when they could've done so in May.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to think about: There hasn't been a general Nintendo Direct in December since 2013, and I think that's when Rosalina was revealed for Smash 4.

I've had my suspicions since E3 that we're getting a reveal at The Game Awards, especially considering that Smash is definitely a big deal and Geoff has been talking about the Joker reveal quite a bit lately. No matter who gets revealed, they are going to be talked about a lot after their reveal.

D

Deleted member

At the same time though, weren't the Bayonetta 1+2 ports, the Bayonetta 3 announcement, the Champions' Ballad DLC, and the Jump Up Superstar musical performance all in the same year?
Yes.

While I don’t have any possible Game Awards reveal taken from granted I do at least wish to see Fighter 5, UA3’s second DLC pack, a trailer for Bayonetta 3 and hopefully my deeply awaited Prime Trilogy Switch port/new 2D Metroid.

I won’t be mad if neither of them happen doh, because I will mostly watch it to react with people over here and Discord for the sake of having fun.

That apart, I feel the need to tell you I’m getting Three Houses for Christmas.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Good point I will admit it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yes.

While I don’t have any possible Game Awards reveal taken from granted I do at least wish to see Fighter 5, UA3’s second DLC pack, a trailer for Bayonetta 3 and hopefully my deeply awaited Prime Trilogy Switch port/new 2D Metroid.

I won’t be mad if neither of them happen doh, because I will mostly watch it to react with people over here and Discord for the sake of having fun.

That apart, I feel the need to tell you I’m getting Three Houses for Christmas.
Which house you going for first?

D

Deleted member

Which house you going for first?
I don’t know, ngl.

I guess when I play the game I will decide which house fits me better. I am kinda bad at making decisions at first glance.

I do plan to play the game on every house to get the full experience doh, so my first of the playthroughs will likely be the most casual and the ones after will be in a more hard-working way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom