• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
You know what Dagonborn needs to release? Some form of gamebreaking bug. Otherwise it wouldn't be a true Bethesda rep.
Dragonborn Classic Mode Run is found to be horrifically bugged. The enemy fighters glitches in and out of existence, and there's a chance Dragonborn clips through the platforms.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
The Cacodemon Mii costume was said to not be related to who FP5 is, which removes Doom Slayer out of the equation and leaves the Dragonborn with no competition in Bethesda. Speaking of Japan, I found this interesting bit of information that says Skyrim is the first Western game to get a perfect score at Famitsu. I think the Japanese do know of the series, hell I think everyone in the world with a slight interest in gaming would know about this gargantuan franchise. The Elder Scrolls series has a strong legacy that impacted the open world RPG genre, and if we're speaking of origins then the first Elder Scrolls game was released like four months after the original Doom. The series reached the mainstream with Skyrim and is Bethesda's flagship title. I seriously don't get how people ignore this character pick with how ridiculously big it is.

With that said I would love to see Dragonborn in Smash, the different alts could be the different races in the Elder Scrolls series like the Khajiit, Dunmer, and Argonian. Plus imagine Kirby shouting Fus Ro Dah.
Considering the timing of everything, Doom just makes too much sense. Bethesda has been pushing Doom Eternal for a while. It's coming to Switch, and every Doom game has been ported on the console. Bringing him in as the Bethesda rep makes the most logical sense since the Nintendo connection is the strongest with the Doom franchise. Frankly, if Doomguy isn't getting in, I don't see Bethesda getting a rep at all. But I'm certain Doomguy will appear postpass.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well that's subjective, really.
Speaking as someone who isn't necessarily a fan of either character, Phoenix or Sora, I think it's easy for me to say that Sora has quite a bit more mainstream appeal over Phoenix. Whether or not that contributes to which character it is is the part that's up for debate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking as someone who isn't necessarily a fan of either character, Phoenix or Sora, I think it's easy for me to say that Sora has quite a bit more mainstream appeal over Phoenix. Whether or not that contributes to which character it is is the part that's up for debate.
The difficulty with getting Sora is Disney. Phoenix is the more reasonable since it's Capcom anyway.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Oh ****, there is going to be a unpopularity contest. This is one wild as **** experience.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Considering the characters we have in the current pass, and the fact that Resident Evil has been relegated to a Spirit Board, I doubt mainstream appeal is much of a factor.

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
This would be the dream, but needless to say it's hard to imagine it happening, if even Shovel Knight or Sans can't make it I doubt any indie character will, and even beyond those two I imagine Shantae and Quote would be higher up the list than The Knight. I'd love if Hollow Knight gets any kind of representation at all though, other than Ultimate it's my favorite game of the decade, so even if it would just be a single Spirit I'd be over the moon.
  1. Just because the internet sees Sans as the indisputable mascot of Undertale, doesn't mean Fox and/or Sakurai necessarily does. It's possible a different Undertale character, that's better representative of the neutral/pacifist routes than the Edgy Murder Route's final boss, could eventually get in.
  2. Sakurai's bias probably has a lot to do with things. If an indie does get in, it could turn out he likes some much more obscure title a lot better than any of the ones we're talking about right now. It's not very likely, but at this point talking about "likely" has just repeatedly shot us all in the foot.
So who knows? The future is a mystery.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
  1. Just because the internet sees Sans as the indisputable mascot of Undertale, doesn't mean Fox and/or Sakurai necessarily does. It's possible a different Undertale character, that's better representative of the neutral/pacifist routes than the Edgy Murder Route's final boss, could eventually get in.
  2. Sakurai's bias probably has a lot to do with things. If an indie does get in, it could turn out he likes some much more obscure title a lot better than any of the ones we're talking about right now. It's not very likely, but at this point talking about "likely" has just repeatedly shot us all in the foot.
He literally just put Joker into smash because he liked it. Whoever is the next fighter, they potentially have the least amount of outsourcing via the industry.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The difficulty with getting Sora is Disney. Phoenix is the more reasonable since it's Capcom anyway.
Maybe but I haven't lost faith in Ammy yet it's between her and Phoenix in terms of Capcom reps. As much as I want Sora, he feels like a character you'd save for FP2 to stir up hype

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Considering the timing of everything, Doom just makes too much sense. Bethesda has been pushing Doom Eternal for a while. It's coming to Switch, and every Doom game has been ported on the console. Bringing him in as the Bethesda rep makes the most logical sense since the Nintendo connection is the strongest with the Doom franchise. Frankly, if Doomguy isn't getting in, I don't see Bethesda getting a rep at all. But I'm certain Doomguy will appear postpass.
I really don't think Nintendo connections matter that much in deciding the selection. Yeah Doom has received a lot of ports this year.... but so did Resident Evil and all what it got were spirits. I think you should cut Elder Scrolls some slack, it's the flagship franchise of Bethesda, it's the series that put the company on the map. Clearly even Nintendo realizes the importance of the series since they used Skyrim to advertise the capabilities of the Switch in it's reveal trailer.

Untouch

Smash Master
If the leaker doesn't think that the cacodemon costume is real because those costumes wouldn't be coming with #5, it means that #5 is very likely not Bethesda either, unless the leaker doesn't know that ID is owned by Bethesda.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I wake up to +20 new pages and found out Bamco and Level-5 have been deconfirmed, that's an ouchie for me.
Also, I went to twitter and every single tweet mentioning these recent events are full of people replying "Yeah, Sora is in".
WHY.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If the leaker doesn't think that the cacodemon costume is real because those costumes wouldn't be coming with #5, it means that #5 is very likely not Bethesda either, unless the leaker doesn't know that ID is owned by Bethesda.
Again with this argument?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The tweet very clearly only targets Doomguy and not all of Bethesda.
I seriously don't know what mental gymnastics you people are pulling to justify this argument. Doom mii costumes are not guaranteed to come with Dragonborn if he comes. Hero didn't come with other SE mii costumes and neither did Banjo.

Untouch

Smash Master
If I was to guess, #5 is either Travis, Phoenix Wright or some curveball 1st party character.
Either that or the character is actually one of the deconfirmations, but the source said they were deconfirmed so they didn't have to give away what they knew and potentially get in trouble.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think Nintendo connections matter that much in deciding the selection. Yeah Doom has received a lot of ports this year.... but so did Resident Evil and all what it got were spirits. I think you should cut Elder Scrolls some slack, it's the flagship franchise of Bethesda, it's the series that put the company on the map. Clearly even Nintendo realizes the importance of the series since they used Skyrim to advertise the capabilities of the Switch in it's reveal trailer.
I agree with you on the Nintendo connection factor, but that connection is the reason why people tend to gravitate their support towards Doomguy over any other Bethesda rep. RE was also a popular choice among roster speculators. But we both know reality is much different than what people want. Sakurai is going to add whoever he feels is right.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Again with this argument?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The tweet very clearly only targets Doomguy and not all of Bethesda.
I seriously don't know what mental gymnastics you people are pulling to justify this argument. Doom mii costumes are not guaranteed to come with Dragonborn if he comes. Hero didn't come with other SE mii costumes and neither did Banjo.
B&K came with no costumes from Microsoft or Rare so not sure if they should count. Joker came with various Sega costumes and Terry brought in costumes from multiple games from SNK along with some other fighters from various series. Not really any pattern to go off of but I do think that puts a ding against Bethesda characters as U Untouch pointed out or else the insiders would be more open to the idea of it. Not saying Dragonborn isn't coming but seems very unlikely for FP5 IMO.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
B&K came with no costumes from Microsoft or Rare so not sure if they should count. Joker came with various Sega costumes and Terry brought in costumes from multiple games from SNK along with some other fighters from various series. Not really any pattern to go off of but I do think that puts a ding against Bethesda characters as U Untouch pointed out or else the insiders would be more open to the idea of it. Not saying Dragonborn isn't coming but seems very unlikely for FP5 IMO.
I still don't see it since Doom and Elder Scrolls have nothing in common besides being owned by Bethesda. When people think of the Cacodemon they'd immediately think of Doom, and not Elder Scrolls. Unless PolarPanda PolarPanda comes and clarifies this we don't really have much to go on.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
As a Resident Evil supporter myself, I feel the reason it didn't get a playable rep has most likely to do with censorship (moveset potential could be perhaps another reason, but Sakurai even made a Pirahna Plant work)

papagenos papagenos also said in his latest video he had heard about negotiations for Jill Valentine early this year, and that source also said that those negotiations could have not went through, which would explain the spirits as a consolation price, considering its not only the realistic weapons they needed to censor, but also the monsters, which even for adults are major nightmare fuel, which makes me in general concerned for Doom Slayer, because his games are super violent and the demons could face the same hurdle as RE monsters, when it comes to censorship.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm still baffled that we live in the world where Microsoft is on Smash's character credits and now Disney could also join them.

Chew on that Avengers Endgame.

D

Deleted member

As a Resident Evil supporter myself, I feel the reason it didn't get a playable rep has most likely to do with censorship (moveset potential could be perhaps another reason, but Sakurai even made a Pirahna Plant work)

papagenos papagenos also said in his latest video he had heard about negotiations for Jill Valentine early this year, and that source also said that those negotiations could have not went through, which would explain the spirits as a consolation price, considering its not only the realistic weapons they needed to censor, but also the monsters, which even for adults are major nightmare fuel, which makes me in general concerned for Doom Slayer, because his games are super violent and the demons could face the same hurdle as RE monsters, when it comes to censorship.
What about females like shantae?
Will she be Able to get approve by the cero and is she for good boys and girls?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

As long as he does not actually cause massive guts to spawn, I think Doomguy should be fine as far as CERO goes. Most of his weaponry is sci-fi or SF styled with the excpetions of the Chainsaw and the double barreled shotgun.

What about females like shantae?
Will she be Able to get approve by the cero and is she for good boys and girls?
Shantae will be just fine. CERO's bugbear is panties and she's wearing those bedlah pants. Would put a kibosh on her alts from Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse though

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Well yeah her spirit haven’t been touched and Krystal is in her adventures outfit so...
Well if we look at Resident Evil I feel only the Hunters would pass CERO. They look like something that would come from Metroid or Castlevania imo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just Capcom to go now and we'll have no idea who Fighter 5 could possibly be.
Capcom, Konami and Bethesda, I'd say.

Sakurai may have a Frogger moveset worked out for all we know.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Meh, I doubt we’ll see Konami for this pass. Idk why. Just have a feeling

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Oh s**t. We have been sleeping on Konami. What are the odds of getting a Contra character? (Or maybe... it's Yugi).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh s**t. We have been sleeping on Konami. What are the odds of getting a Contra character? (Or maybe... it's Yugi).
Yugi originated in a manga, he wouldn’t count

id take him over Goku tho tbh

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Clearly they are holding off TF2's Heavy Update, because it will happen alongside a Smash reveal.

please ;_;

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Or James Sunderland. I'd love to hit people with a lead pipe and ask people if they've seen his dead wife as his taunt.

But I don't think it's going to be anyone from those companies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, I'm all for at least discussing new things, we're so much in the dark that we might as well entertain the more out there possibilities. I've been wrong about everything I've been predicting for #5, so I'm not going to pretend like I've got a good grasp on what the hell is going on haha.

If something like a Hollow Knight character were to happen, I think it'd have a lot to do with Nintendo pushing it over other indie titles, they've done a lot to promote Silksong by bringing demos to conventions as well as showcasing it during the E3 Treehouse (and clearly having a lot of inside knowledge of it beyond what they showcased), so I get the feeling that they have a lot of respect for the series. That might just be a NoA/NoE thing though, and it's obviously going to be the higher ups in Japan who are the ones suggesting characters to Sakurai, but I suppose it's not impossible. It's also worth noting that it seems like the original game did decent in Japan, or at least well enough that the physical Collector's Edition was released there.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I still don't see it since Doom and Elder Scrolls have nothing in common besides being owned by Bethesda. When people think of the Cacodemon they'd immediately think of Doom, and not Elder Scrolls. Unless PolarPanda PolarPanda comes and clarifies this we don't really have much to go on.
And Sonic and Persona don't have anything in common despite being owned by Sega.

The point is that, if FP5 was a Bethesda character, Sabi's source couldn't confidently say that a Cacodemon Mii hat has nothing to do with FP5. Granted, it would be pretty unlikely, as they would probably prioritize adding a Doomguy costume if anything, but the relation is there.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One other darkhorse character it could be is Saber aka King Arthur rule 63 from the Stay Fate series. Stuff from Nintendo's visual novels are in as spirits and the like so she should count.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
One other darkhorse character it could be is Saber aka King Arthur rule 63 from the Stay Fate series. Stuff from Nintendo's visual novels are in as spirits and the like so she should count.
I definitely see her being a big darkhorse contender for post pass DLC at least.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Imagine at the Game Awards the trailer starts with Segata Sanshiro telling you to play SEGA Saturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom