• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How about something dumb for a bit?

This roster is something I've been personally putting together for fun, but since we have no idea who Fighter 5 is at this point, let's see if we can pinpoint who it may be based on my godawful creation. I personally believe it's down to these guys.
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Reimu Hakurei
3. Sora
4. Spyro
5. Sol Badguy
6. Geno's Mii Costume
If your most wanted character is not on this image you're lying or they don't exist yet.

M'fer this roster has both Andy & Sami on it send me to this universe ASAP!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wait, what did Verge say last night?
No Namco, no Level 5.

So that's Heihatchi, Professor Layton, Lloyd and the whole Digimon series down for the count.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While certain companies are still in the game, I think it would also make sense to consider what makes the larger impact at a western gaming event attended by mainly western gamings.

Right now the leading candidate for SEGA is Puyo Puyo, which is niche at best in the west. While that doesn't mean people wouldn't be excited for the character in Smash, it doesn't scream TGA to me. Granted, I'm the person who thought we'd get Resident Evil.

Square Enix, however, has two potential powerhouses in western appeal with 2B and Sora (Really not sure of what implications Disney produces), Konami is most definitely out, and considering the content we got with SNK I think that's out as well.

That brings it down to Capcom, Square Enix, Microsoft, and Bethesda basically. If Banjo is a western exception, then Microsoft and Bethesda are out. If double dipping isn't happening, then Capcom is the only one remaining.

I wouldn't call these rules...more like potential guidelines. Precedent tells us that in each set of DLC, there's only been a newcomer from a company once. It doesn't mean we can't see it happen, and I think it's worth entertaining the possibility that we could get a double dip. I do think it's worth considering that 95% of developers have been shot down.

If any other shots are fired we're basically going to have the pick in our laps.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
You know what companies have not been disconfirmed so far: Sega, Square, and Microsoft (I think SNK is extremely unlikely). I know fan theory is that there is only one fighter per companies copyright. But just like Color Theory I've never truly bought that. Verge and Sabi may know that they aren't the companies and have never felt the need to say it. Or maybe they just never felt the need to ask. However, it is possible that their are no disconfirmations because they cannot be disconfirmed yet.

The characters in the pass aren't representing the company that owns the rights to them; they are representing their series. Joker, DQ, and Banjo are all about their series not their parent company. Terry, you can make a case for. With all the cameos and songs he does feel more like a celebration of SNK as a whole.

I can't know what the thought process was behind the DLC selection, but I just find it somewhat unlikely that Sakurai/Nintendo would cut out all the game worlds just because the rights were held by the same companies.

If I was forced to make a guess I would say Capcom and the other "new" companies are more likely, but I am pretty convinced of a large chance that fan theory is wrong and the character is from a company already in the pass.
So what your saying is...
7fb.gif

He's in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's also the possibility of a first party character. Almost all of the 3rd party frontrunners were deconfirmed.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
1575221460022.jpeg

Lately, I’ve been looking into Hollow Knight’s development team. They are literally close with Nintendo of Japan by distance. If the character is in smash, it may explain a lot of things in the recent leaks. Again, I doubt the indie knight.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I see first parties in future DLC being either:
  • a). those few first parties who could bring in around as much sales as a third party, and/or
  • b). promotional first parties Nintendo are banking on to be popular
Right now I really only see Waluigi, Rex & Pyra, Three Houses, or Astral Chain having much of a chance.
Keep in mind that first party characters only have to make as much money as third party characters minus licensing fees.
Does anybody actually enjoy this circus of deconfirmations? To me it feels like the ****tiest game of Guess Who ever with someone who could just be ****ing with us for all we know.
Yes, because people aren't talking about the same charactes ad nauseum.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Does anybody actually enjoy this circus of deconfirmations? To me it feels like the ****tiest game of Guess Who ever with someone who could just be ****ing with us for all we know.
I don't enjoy the idea that the character I want could be killed off at any minute, but I do enjoy seeing speculation suddenly turn itself on its head when the next deconfirmation comes around.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Imo the disconfirmation spree is much better than actually knowing who it's gonna be. It allows us to hone speculation better, while also stopping fans from getting high hopes if their character won't get in, but it doesn't spoil the surprise for the fans of the lucky one.

In a world in which leaks are unavoidable, this is the better alternative imo.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Give us Sora for #5.

Then I personally hope that we get 1st/2nd party characters going forward. I think it'd reenergize the community/speculation.

Also.... we NEED DIXIE.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
As someone who just got 3 of their 4 most wanted obliterated yesterday, I’m fine with the disconfirmed spree. Rip off the bandaid now instead of later.

At the end, all but one character is going to be disconfirmed for Fighter #5 anyway.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Some more developments:

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
There's also the possibility of the deconfirmation list being complete and utter bull**** and we still get one of them :p

Graizen

Smash Champion
Hear me out
With Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all Friends
Imagine this at the VGA

tumblr_p65t0pJAYB1vvth95o1_1280.jpg

BlackInk

Smash Lord
The character we have in our hands is definitely an indie. Indie studios are smaller and that’s why barely anyone in the industry knows them. I think Reimu is the most likely candidate, but there are potentially other characters we haven’t noticed. The hollow knight situation is something I haven’t been considering. Is it odd when Hollow Knight’s story is kinda similar to Terry’s and Microsoft switch associations. They gain a lot of attention on the platform then they work more closely with Nintendo.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Some more developments:

About time Nintendo finally recognized Minesweeper as THE game that should be represented in Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Some more developments:

That was a joke. If you click on the link, you’ll see it’s listing EVERY game company that ever existed.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Some more developments:

Looks like Treasure is still in the running for having a rep.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Some more developments:

Can't wait for a Kingdoms of Amalur character

Troykv

Smash Master
How about something dumb for a bit?

This roster is something I've been personally putting together for fun, but since we have no idea who Fighter 5 is at this point, let's see if we can pinpoint who it may be based on my godawful creation. I personally believe it's down to these guys.
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Reimu Hakurei
3. Sora
4. Spyro
5. Sol Badguy
6. Geno's Mii Costume
If your most wanted character is not on this image you're lying or they don't exist yet.

I don't know if I just dumb or why I can't find Marth and all the pre-Fates Fire Emblem characters? xD

Never mind, they're in the second image xD

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some more developments:

>Disney is in the picture
D70637C1-ED96-444C-A365-AD959C777B20.jpeg

This is it contreras.

This is how the Fantastic Four became Fighter 5.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'd love to see the community's reaction if Fighter #5 was Zacian, and then we get a sneak peak and learn that the next character is Leon Kennedy.

The debates over ATs and Spirits will go to a whole new level.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
One thing bugs me with PW is this.
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074897993235484672
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074898466915020800
https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1074899214503632897

I don't know how to thread tweets so here they are in order.

Full translation:
I am asking for your wants not predictions.
Putting moves aside, Wonder-Red and Joe could work as Mii costumes, and Dante would be difficult for rating reasons (don't ask me then why Beyo got in?).
I think Amaterasu is the only choice.

Yap... about half of the world's population saying that they want Joe to join the battles.

By the way, when I was drinking with Takushu (Shu Takumi) yesterday he said "why they don't put Phoenix Wright in" ...
If this was to be true, then I can't think of him for FP5.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'd love to see the community's reaction if Fighter #5 was Zacian, and then we get a sneak peak and learn that the next character is Leon Kennedy.

The debates over ATs and Spirits will go to a whole new level.
The debate over Spirits would change, but neither of those characters are ATs, so those would stay right where they are in the speculation scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom