• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So the current character of the week is Dante? Man, is poor PSASBR looking worse and worse or what?

I wonder what version they'd go for.
My best guess would be DMC1 Dante but he would use reboot Dante's more stylistic versions of Ebony and Ivory to play it safe with the ratings
They'd definitely use DMC3 Dante as the default. Capcom pushes that as Dante's most iconic look.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Really makes you :thinksumi:
Don't think Sabi realizes that floating every leak/rumour that comes along makes her look all the more uninformed, which is generally the opposite of the image she tries to convey.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I know theories are pretty much stupid and looking into things that aren't there, but from what I've seen with 4 out of the 5 Fighter's Pass characters:

-They're all 3rd party.
-They debuted in a series that started before the 2000s(aka Legacy Series)
-Their respective series each debuted on a different console(Persona: PS1, Dragon Quest: NES, Banjo: N64, Terry: Neo-Geo)

Two of Namco's series fits the criteria above pretty well(Tales: 1995: SNES, Tekken: 1994: Arcade).
Another thing about all the Fighters Pass characters: They're all from series that are completely new to Smash, with no content in the Ultimate base game or even the series in general prior to the Fighters Pass. With that in mind, Tales and Tekken would both be ruled out, though Fighter 5 could still be a Bandai Namco character.

I wonder what version they'd go for.
My best guess would be DMC1 Dante but he would use reboot Dante's more stylistic versions of Ebony and Ivory to play it safe with the ratings
With Bayonetta, they went with her appearance from 2 as the default, with her appearance from the first game as an alt. They'll probably handle Dante the same way, his DMCV appearance being the default, while his appearances from DMC1 or 3 are an alt.

D

Deleted member

Sabi: I have a source that says Dante might be coming to smash

Also Sabi: waits for dmc3 switch port announcement to say this.

Pack it up folks. I’m done listening to this fake leaker.
I'm just in it for the announcements and stuff. I don't believe her 100%. Just wait for Verge to say the Word of the Lourd again.

Ivander

Smash Legend
or a character with a large female fanbase (which, not gonna lie, Dante as a character is pretty popular with us nerd girls of a certain age so I know a lot of my friends would be mad hype for him) .
That would be the Tales Of series. By what I heard, the huge majority of the fans who vote on the Popularity polls are female, which is one of the reasons why there are alot of Male characters on the polls and hardly any females(I think the latest Tales poll only had 3 or 4 female characters and only 1 was in the top 10, being Velvet at 6).

Dimitri and Claude from FE Three Houses apparently have a big female fanbase as well, as according to the one Three Houses Famitsu poll, the majority of voters were female.

Last edited:

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice

Sabi's source just said Dante isnt 5, PapaGenos just put it in his Discord.
Oh wow.. Big surprise! (Not.)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
While I don't think patterns are going to lead us to fighter 5, I do think Bamco is a safe bet due to the missing Mii costumes. While my top picks are Heihachi, Velvet, and Lloyd, you have characters like Solaire and Agumon waiting in the wings, and KOS-MOS as an outside pick that I would obviously also be very pleased with.

I could see a Bandai-Namco rep closing out this pass with Dante heralding a second DLC season or at least being the first post-pass character.
I have to agree, especially since Capcom already got several costumes with Banjo's release while Namco has nothing at all.

Here's hoping for the Prince of All Cosmos myself.

Same, that announcement is why I've been so skeptical of the whole Dante thing. It's almost always piggybacking and sensationalism. It happened with Gordon last week and it's happening with Dante this week.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The "most iconic video game characters are male" argument I feel really only works to an extent. It's true that when it comes to iconic characters there are more men than women. that said, iconic or popular women in games still exist and there are a decent selection to choose from.

that aside, yes I certainly agree a character shouldn't be chosen ONLY for their gender or ONLY for diversity's sake.
By no means was I insinuating that there aren’t good female picks for Smash. Quite the contrary if you ask me. If we’re looking at characters from new series, you have:

Jill Valentine or Claire Redfield
Lara Croft
Tracer
2B

From series we already have:

Chun-Li
Tifa
Elma

There are others, but there are absolutely some choices that could make a good impact. It takes more than gender or sex to get into Smash though.
*sweating profusely due to not having to rage out like last time*

And that is also a flaw of Ultimate's character-picking choice. And it is also a wasted potential. Why think of the possibilities later when you can think about it now. This is a logical criticism of the roster, yes.

The goal of choosing diversity for diversity's sake is only a bare minimum requirement. Someone like Lara Croft would also be able to fulfill more requirements for that.
While I agree that female fighters should be in, one could argue “wasted potential” if a really great male character also was ignored.

It’s a logical criticism, but from what I have gathered it seems you simply want a female fighter for a female fighter. It doesn’t matter who it is. Now, there’s really nothing inherently wrong with that, because everybody has their preferences.

However, all I would suggest is to try and look at characters for things, aside from their gender or sex, to understand then better. There’s more to people than their sex or gender. It’s not as if boys can’t like characters that are girls, and it’s also not as if male characters can’t be exciting for women who want them.

I sympathize with your interests, because there are absolutely great female fighters available for Smash. But if you restrict your interest only to female characters, you’re destined to be miserable.

D

Deleted member

I sympathize with your interests, because there are absolutely great female fighters available for Smash. But if you restrict your interest only to female characters, you’re destined to be miserable.
That's a stereotype that applies to me honesyly, which isn't true. Hell, I clamor for Rex, Heihachi, Sol Badguy, and Ragna! Rex coz I played tons of Xeno2 and I sympathize with the fans, while the other 3 are just my FGC upbringing.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
The only thing I’ve gathered from these past few weeks is that I DO NOT want Phoenix’s name to come up in discussion...that is, unless he wants to end up like the last two.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
You want to know which series is very popular with men and women? Yet again, mother f***ing Senran Kagura. Please enlighten me, Gale. I thought it was anything but. Wrong, betch! Senran Kagura is ninja Sailor Moon with a side of tongue-in-cheek fanservice. It's a lighthearted, story-driven series filled with powerful cute girls, above average gameplay, and action that let's you play dress up. Senran Kagura is also one of the few games that let you play as a badass old lady. It is fun for the whole family.

Now that I have your attention, let me explain why Smash needs this badly and what Senran can provide.

Yumi is an adaptable mascot who already crossed over with Sega, Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Nihon Falcom, Tatsunoko, and Arc System Works. She starred in a third-person shooter, a card battler, a pinball game, a side scrolling action game, a dating sim, a hack and slash, a cooking/rhythm game, and a 2D fighting game. Putting her in Super Smash would be business as usual. That resume sounds like Mario and Pacman level s***. If it was any other character, people would be begging for this to happen.

That's not all. A Marvelous rep could bring in a triumphant clusterf*** of distinctive worlds. Maybe they could bundle her with Harvest Moon, Daemon X Machina, Lord of Magna, and No More Heroes content.

Let's recap. Men and women love Senran Kagura. It's a flagship series for its company, which could bring a lot to Super Smash. A mascot like Yumi is adaptable like Mario since she isn't bound by any genre.

You almost had me, Gale, but what about Cero? We're safe. Senran planned for that s*** too. Look at how fully clothed they are in their uniforms:

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Well... Dante's run was short.
So, we're back to Square one, who do we suddenly meme up as a popular pick only for it to get Deconfirm-hammer'd?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Still sticking to my guns that Dante is super likely for wave 2.

But you'll notice that through all these deconfirmations, Reimu still lives. :nifty:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
The only thing I’ve gathered from these past few weeks is that I DO NOT want Phoenix’s name to come up in discussion...that is, unless he wants to end up like the last two.
the fighter 5 curse

the more you say their name, the more knives leakers stick into their corpse

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
We'll probably going to see some more people make "credible" leaks just so if they get disconfirmed for FP5 by the NoA guy & Vergeben.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Still sticking to my guns that Dante is super likely for wave 2.

But you'll notice that through all these deconfirmations, Reimu still lives. :nifty:
636433213413261343.png

She's comin', boys.

D

Deleted member

You want to know which series is popular with men and women? Yet again, mother f***ing Senran Kagura. Please enlighten me, Gale. I thought it was anything but. Wrong, betch! Senran Kagura is ninja Sailor Moon with a side of tongue-in-cheek fanservice. It's a lighthearted, story-driven series filled with powerful cute girls, above average gameplay, and action that let's you play dress up. Senran Kagura is also one of the few games that let you play as a badass old lady. It is fun for the whole family.

Now that I have your attention, let me explain why Smash needs this badly and what Senran can provide.

Yumi is an adaptable mascot who already crossed over with Sega, Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Nihon Falcom, Tatsunoko, and Arc System Works. She starred in a third-person shooter, a card battler, a pinball game, a side scrolling action game, a hack and slash, a cooking/rhythm game, and a 2D fighting game. Putting her in Super Smash would be business as usual. That resume sounds like Mario and Pacman. If it was any other character, people would be begging for this to happen.

That's not all. A Marvelous rep could bring in a triumphant clusterf*** of distinctive worlds. Maybe they could bundle her with Harvest Moon, Daemon X Machina, Lord of Magna, and No More Heroes content.

Let's recap. Men and women love Senran Kagura. It's a flagship series for its company, which could bring a lot to Super Smash. A mascot like Yumi is adaptable like Mario since she isn't bound by any genre.

You almost had me, Gale, but what about Cero? We're safe. Senran planned for that s***, too. Look at how fully clothed they are in their uniforms:

I'm going to be blunt and say I would sooner accept any non-video game character than I would anyone from Senran
It's probably the only franchise I would actively dislike having in Smash

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Welp Dante had a good run...

There was a problem fetching the tweet
At this point I'm starting to feel like "credible" leakers are just deliberately throwing names around left and right until they finally narrow down who fighter 5 is (Which is probably going to take a while....)

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Can you ****ing imagine if fighter 5 is like, Phoenix Wright or Reimu or KOS-MOS or something and then Pass 2 hits and it's Dante, Doom Guy, Geno, Hayabusa, and Crash. What a ride.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Characters are being shot down left and right, but my boy Phoenix is still standing and he's keeping my hopes and dreams alive right now

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Characters are being shot down left and right, but my boy Phoenix is still standing and he's keeping my hopes and dreams alive right now
you fool

YOU FOOL

you've said his name

now phoenix will be found stabbed to death in a san francisco alleyway tomorrow morning by vergeben

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Back to square one then. Yay fun times...
Watch he's the next to be leaked only to then join the ranks of Crash, Doom Slayer, Geno, Ryu Hayabusa, Scorpion and Tracer. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom