• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I actually have to amend my statement again. It's difficult to tell if the manga came before the games with Medabots. Having trouble finding the initial publish dates, simply finding 1997. Though the first game came out in November of 97, so I don't know if it was a tandem venture or if the manga happened just prior to the games to try and capitalize on the concept.
For what it's worth, Capcom's Strider debuted alongside it's manga and it's still considered a VG franchise.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Saw some mention of it and just went to check it out for myself. There are currently 2 videos that are listed as private in the Smash Bros playlist on Nintendo's Youtube channel. Last update was on November 8th however. Not sure if that specifically means anything or not. One video makes sense given where they probably are with DLC 5, but 2 makes me wonder. Trailer/Sakurai video maybe? Feel better about the VGA or the 7th now.

Smash.PNG

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
It's highly possible that VGA will give us a trailer revealing Blythe as Fighter #5... and then Eldgrade shows up as the first post-Fighter's Pass character. But then just when we think it's over, BAM, Dimitri is revealed as the second post-fighter's pass character.

andree123

Smash Ace
Saw some mention of it and just went to check it out for myself. There are currently 2 videos that are listed as private in the Smash Bros playlist on Nintendo's Youtube channel. Last update was on November 8th however. Not sure if that specifically means anything or not. One video makes sense given where they probably are with DLC 5, but 2 makes me wonder. Trailer/Sakurai video maybe? Feel better about the VGA or the 7th now.

View attachment 247566
They privated the musicless smash ultimate video and a commercial for smash ultimate.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Wait, seriously? The biggest gaming awards show where Nintendo announced Bayonetta 3? And you didn't even have your eye on it for Smash? How?
No, because it's long and I don't care about the awards. If any game I like happened to be nominated I'll probably check the results the following day and also see if there were any announcements, but I'm not gonna spend my evening watching an awards show.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 247566
Could it just be the same video but in a different language like how every fighter reveal trailer uploads at least twice?

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
It's highly possible that VGA will give us a trailer revealing Blythe as Fighter #5... and then Eldgrade shows up as the first post-Fighter's Pass character. But then just when we think it's over, BAM, Dimitri is revealed as the second post-fighter's pass character.
And then Claude shows up as the 3rd, Rhea and the 4th, and Lynn.... gets shoved out of the way and is replaced by Camilla as the 5th as the Smash fandom melts down

D

Deleted member

Good morning everyone.

I'd kill for this. Seriously.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I remember waking up the morning after the VGA 2018 confused as **** to see 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Take Your Heart- in my YouTube feed.

Really would've loved to catch that when it first aired.

D

Deleted member

I remember waking up the morning after the VGA 2018 confused as **** to see 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Take Your Heart- in my YouTube feed.

Really would've loved to catch that when it first aired.
I just caught wind of the Joker reveal via Twitter.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No, because it's long and I don't care about the awards. If any game I like happened to be nominated I'll probably check the results the following day and also see if there were any announcements, but I'm not gonna spend my evening watching an awards show.
Ok, that's fine, but you said did anyone care for TGA before Joker and yeah, a ton of people did because Nintendo announces a lot of **** there. Whether you like the awards or hate them was kinda irrelevant to the discussion. People pay attention to them because they announce a lot of good **** there.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Tbf the only reason I even bothered keeping up with TGA at all was because my digital copy of Ultimate unlocked at midnight, but timezones meant TGA was going on by the time I was trying to unlock the entire cast. Checked twitter after every Classic mode run and saw Joker and reacted with a flat "what"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would that be Dixie as a semiclone, Echo or semiclone echo ala Ken?
Well since Brawl, non-echo semi-clones have barely been a thing - I mean there's really only been Isabelle and Roy (who was probably just implemented as he would've been in Brawl, had he not been cut). So just based on the odds, she'd probably get the Ken/Chrom treatment of being an echo, but different enough to the point labeling it an "echo" is weird.

Very inconsistent branding, that term.

Wait, seriously? The biggest gaming awards show where Nintendo announced Bayonetta 3? And you didn't even have your eye on it for Smash? How?
Tbf I only watched the show in its entirety last year because 1) the timing worked out, and 2) the possibility of a Smash reveal. The year before I just caught the highlight reel afterwards... which is probably what I'll go back to when Smash reveals are over, lol. Sorry, Geoff.

Bayo 3 is cancelled because they realized they've ran out of Frank Sinatra songs with "moon" in their names.
Sinatra has like ten songs with 'moon' in the title. I'm pretty sure he was a werewolf.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well since Brawl, non-echo semi-clones have barely been a thing - I mean there's really only been Isabelle and Roy (who was probably just implemented as he would've been in Brawl, had he not been cut). So just based on the odds, she'd probably get the Ken/Chrom treatment of being an echo, but different enough to the point labeling it an "echo" is weird.

Tbf I only watched the show in its entirety last year because 1) the timing worked out, and 2) the possibility of a Smash reveal. The year before I just caught the highlight reel afterwards... which is probably what I'll go back to when Smash reveals are over, lol. Sorry, Geoff.

Sinatra has like ten songs with 'moon' in the title. I'm pretty sure he was a werewolf.
So, Bayonetta 4-10 confirmed? I for one am excited!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fair enough, the VGAs do tend to drag on. At least with EA you can wait for the show of your choice and watch it all in one go.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Ok, that's fine, but you said did anyone care for TGA before Joker and yeah, a ton of people did because Nintendo announces a lot of **** there. Whether you like the awards or hate them was kinda irrelevant to the discussion. People pay attention to them because they announce a lot of good **** there.
No they don't announce "a lot of **** there". 2017 was BotW stuff and Bayonetta and the year before was a BotW trailer. And 2015 they had nothing related to games. Don't pretend Nintendo has always treated TGA like another E3. It's only somewhat recently do people care.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
No they don't announce "a lot of **** there". 2017 was BotW stuff and Bayonetta and the year before was a BotW trailer. And 2015 they had nothing related to games. Don't pretend Nintendo has always treated TGA like another E3. It's only somewhat recently do people care.
2018 was Ultimate Alliance 3 and Joker, 2017 was Breath of the Wild DLC, Bayonetta 1 and 2 for Switch, and Bayonetta 3. And IF we're counting 2016, the dead years of the Wii U, they still had Breath of the Wild, 2015 was the only dead year they had, cause in 2014, the first year of The Game Awards, they had Super Mario Maker, Breath of the Wild, and Codename S.T.E.A.M. there.

I'm telling you Nintendo is getting more and more into The Game Awards as years go on and yes, they do have a decent amount of **** there most years. Usually more so than both Sony and Microsoft.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
So, Bayonetta 4-10 confirmed? I for one am excited!
Apparently it reaches Final Fantasy status:

Blue Moon
East of the Sun (and West of the Moon)
Full Moon and Empty Arms
How High the Moon
I Wished on the Moon
If You Stub Your Toe on the Moon
In the Shadow of the Moon
It's Only a Paper Moon
Luna Rossa (Blushing Moon)
Moments in the Moonlight
The Moon Got in My Eyes
Moon Love
Moon Song
The Moon Was Yellow
The Moon Won't Talk
Moonlight Becomes You
Moonlight in Vermont
Moonlight Mood
Moonlight on the Ganges
Moonlight Seranade
Oh, You Crazy Moon
Old Moon Devil
Once Upon a Moonlight Night
Pale Moon
Polka Dots and Moonbeams
Reaching for the Moon
Senorita (I Offer You the Moon)

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
That sounds like **** on Earth.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo had the gumption to reveal three FE characters back to back in front of a live, non-Nintendo-oriented crowd, that would be so wild I wouldn't even be mad.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just a reminder that Smash character is not guaranteed for the VGAs even if Sabi and Verge say that there will be. There's always the possibility of leaker bait and a public execution of the responsible party.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Just a reminder that Smash character is not guaranteed for the VGAs even if Sabi and Verge say that there will be. There's always the possibility of leaker bait and a public execution of the responsible party.
But, where else could they reveal FP #5?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If it's two fighters revealed, I could imagine it being either of these scenarios:
A) 5th fighter revealed + first new DLC fighter for wave 2
B) 5th fighter revealed + bonus character for purchasing Fighter's Pass 2
...So one of the Fighter's Pass 2 characters?

I'd say echos are specifically circa-Sm4sh/Ultimate clones that build off their base character in the limited way that Isabelle couldn't with Villager.
IDK if maybe they'd make Dixie an Isabelle thing as DLC only because the only other DLC clones we've ever had were semiclone made and pseudoclone level veterans in Sm4sh. We have no idea how similar she could have been to Diddy in the scrapped tag team concept of Brawl, considering Chrom may not be too far off as an echo from the Marth/Ike "sameyness" that got him cut from Sm4sh. That or any character that could be echo level accurately will be in Ultimate as they prioritise that development for completely unique fighters.

Something Fatmanonice theorised is DLC 6 and 7 being characters like Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy were for Sm4sh; easier characters to make from existing components to start off unplanned DLC with before getting into the more intensive, all-new ones. So maybe a previously considered idea or character that'd have to be Isabelle-level clone could be on the table as a buffer; perhaps the timeline of when post-pass third-party negotiations were held meant they'd have to come later, and they would put in a first party or two to bridge the gap to make the release schedule continuous?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's either gonna be there or in a Direct before then... so... TGA is a safe bet.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
inb4 Sakurai shows up on stage and announces that FP5 and all future DLC are canceled because he's sick of the ungrateful ****s and fake leakers who have never made a game

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Watch no newcomers get revealed at the Game Awards and we collectively freak the **** out. Then two days later they shadow drop a character and release them that same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom