• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, this fanbase would be loads better if dialogues about most wanted fighters didn't always come down to "MINE DESERVES IT MORE THAN YOURS BASED OFF OF MY OWN BIASED PREREQUISITES AND YOUR FAVORITE GAME SUCKS!"

But it's the internet and asking people to be civil and not argue on the internet is a fool's errand, so here we are.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As an Isaac supporter, I want to apologize for how people were acting earlier in this thread. I for one would love to see Edelgard in Smash and think the hate against FE from Smash fans is dumb.

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
As an Isaac supporter, I want to apologize for how people were acting earlier in this thread. I for one would love to see Edelgard in Smash and think the hate against FE from Smash fans is dumb.

It’s less hate and more the fact that most people would be more hype with another character. If you’re a fire emblem fan you’re pretty happy with this game already.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It’s less hate and more the fact that most people would be more hype with another character. If you’re a fire emblem fan you’re pretty happy with this game already.
Why, because Sakurai just so happened to add 7 characters? What if one doesn't care for most of the FE characters added? What about the FE fans that want to see more of the weapon triangle represented or want to see more than just sword users?

This would be like saying "if you're a Zelda fan you're pretty happy with this game already" just because Zelda happens to have 6 reps, and countless stages and items, despite the fact that half of the characters are just different variations of Link, ganondorf is still a clone (even if he's a bit less of one in Ultimate), and the fact that there are still characters like Vaati, Skull Kid, Midna, etyc. that people really want.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Why, because Sakurai just so happened to add 7 characters? What if one doesn't care for most of the FE characters added? What about the FE fans that want to see more of the weapon triangle represented or want to see more than just sword users?

This would be like saying "if you're a Zelda fan you're pretty happy with this game already" just because Zelda happens to have 6 reps, and countless stages and items, despite the fact that half of the characters are just different variations of Link, ganondorf is still a clone (even if he's a bit less of one in Ultimate), and the fact that there are still characters like Vaati, Skull Kid, Midna, etyc. that people really want.
Seriously, why did they make so many Links?

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post

Then my comment still stands? You’re saying a bunch of irrelevant stuff because you don’t want to accept the facts.

1) fire emblem isn’t some massive selling game in comparison to a lot of the games that could get repped or get more reps still. FACT

2) again I didn’t say that all fire emblem fans were 100% content. Only that assuredly most fire emblem fans are happier than many other fan bases. This is not black and white, this is a gauge of comparisons among many fanbases and even recognition based on sales to see how many people you’d be reaching.

3) you bringing up Zelda is just furthering my point, there’s plenty of series that sell better that could use more reps, there’s plenty of unrepped series that would make a ton of people extremely happy, and there’s limited slots.

4) even though you bringing up Zelda is just helping my point, you were also incorrect in using it because yes Zelda fans are probably most definitely happier than fans whose favorite series is not repped, or **** like Xenoblade who has 1 character.

Please think about what you’re saying before you say it. I didn’t need to respond to a wall of text with common sense if you thought about it for 5 minutes instead of angrily mashing out a response.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seriously, why did they make so many Links?
Long story short, development philosophy.

When Young Link was added in Melee, it was to buff up the roster. Sakurai thought having a younger and older version of Link was important to fully capture the Zelda series. Then Brawl came around and Took Link replaced Young Link, likely due to a combination of recency as well as stylistic variety. Then Toon Link stayed in 4 because of basically the same reasons. Then Everyone is Here happened.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then Brawl came around and Took Link replaced Young Link, likely due to a comhojation of recency as well as stylistic variety.
And because the Sonic delay gave them time to develop a few more characters.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If you’re a fire emblem fan you’re pretty happy with this game already.
2) again I didn’t say that all fire emblem fans were 100% content. Only that assuredly most fire emblem fans are happier than many other fan bases. This is not black and white, this is a gauge of comparisons among many fanbases and even recognition based on sales to see how many people you’d be reaching.
No, this is definitely a statement of "if you are an FE fan, you are satisfied".

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
No, this is definitely a statement of "if you are an FE fan, you are satisfied".
Do we need to ignore context? There’s limited slots to please as many people as possible in the background here. There’s less room to go up for fire emblem fans than many other choices.

D

Deleted member

Fire Emblem should have died. It has a boring world with uninteresting characters and the series focuses on the most boring aspects of it's setting. "Oh no, our kingdom is under attack by another kingdom" Like wow, real interesting story telling. If I wanted to play a fun Tactical RPG, I'd play Shining force because that game allows you to recruit bird people, centaurs, an armadillo, a robot, a Squid named Domingo and a Hamster named Jogurt who collects yogurts that allow you to wear hamster suits.

I just want Isaac just for his fans to be happy and that I think despite him being a sword fighter, he could be pretty interesting. In fact can't we switch the popularity around so that Fire Emblem is a dead series and Golden Sun is popular instead?
if I remember correctly, Golden Sun's plot was actually terrible. In the first game, the villains are actually supposed to be the good guys, but instead of discussing why they're good to the player, they destroy your village and beat up young children for overhearing their conversation when you first meet them. Bear in mind they don't kill you. They just kick your ass and walk away without explaining anything. Yeah, real heroes right there. And then the game has the gall to guilt the player for believing they were the bad guys by the end of the game after barely seeing them since.

And then in Part 2, you and the villains have the same goal of saving the world, but all the villains do is literally threaten you to save the world faster... LIKE WHAT!? You have the same goals as us! Why don't you HELP US!!!!! No, their side is never explained.

This is also ignoring a lot of what you do in Golden Sun is filler unrelated to the plot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Do we need to ignore context? There’s limited slots to please as many people as possible in the background here. There’s less room to go up for fire emblem fans than many other choices.
What context? That interaction was ZelDan apologizing for people and saying Edelgard would be cool then you saying what I quoted. If you're trying to argue something, be clearer because that's how misunderstandings happen (this is just general advice).

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm still predicting that its either Lloyd or Heihachi as FP5.
I'm currently hedging my bets on Heihachi. If it's not something out of nowhere wacky like Monokuma or something surprising but requested like Phoenix, I think a Bamco rep has a very solid shot. I'm hoping that it doesn't have to be either a tales rep OR Heihachi, because as evidenced by my sig I'd like both.

Heihachi being in as a third-party villain that also causes pretty much all the biggest Japanese fighting game icons to be repped in one game would be insane though. It's already cool enough that it's happened in Tekken with Akuma vs. Geese vs. Heihachi, but having Terry vs. Ryu vs. Ken vs. Heihachi would be so exciting to me. Plus as mentioned, for me Heihachi would make amazing dream match potential with Nintendo stars. It's like Hero saving Link - seeing these game worlds cross over that you normally wouldn't see is super hype. Heihachi vs. Chrom, Heihachi vs. Ganondorf, Heihachi vs. King K. Rool?! Heihachi teaming up with another bear in Banjo?? Having a rocket ship battle with Olimar?!?? This is the kind of crazy stuff only Smash can provide.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Most people who aren't Fire Emblem fans don't seem to realize that we'd swap out Corrin for a Three Houses rep if we could. We'd swap out Corrin for a lot of other options, really.

(Okay, maybe not "we", but I know I certainly would.)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Most people who aren't Fire Emblem fans don't seem to realize that we'd swap out Corrin for a Three Houses rep if we could. We'd swap out Corrin for a lot of other options, really.

Too right.
C'mon Sakurai just replace Corrin with Rhea, she can turn into a dragon too, It's fine. I'll ignore the inconsistencies and parts that don't match.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

That just makes us all greedy and/or ungrateful as other franchises deserved their equivelant of Corrin more according to most people who need to change their pants whenever Fire Emblem is mentioned

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I still stand by the fact that the worst newcomer I ever saw support for was "Fire Emblem Switch Lord". That period of time when Smash was announced and 3 Houses was merely a title, and already people were throwing support behind a character we didn't knew how they fought, what their personality was like, or even if their game was going to be any good. When fans created mockup wishlist rosters, they would add "Fire Emblem Switch Lord" because they "might" have a cool moveset for Smash or because previous games added new FE characters. You're essentially wishing for an OC in Smash, and I would have had far more respect if they wanted Hector or Lyn or Camilla instead, because they at least had character we actually knew about.

I think that's part of why I'm not fond of the idea of Edelgard in Smash, because she's partially a holdover of the old support for the unknown Switch Lord where they would have supported them no matter what because they were the main character of FE16. Edelgard could have probably eaten a baby in the game and her support base wouldn't take too bad a hit because the marketing told you she was the main character and therefore gets first dibs.

There's some irony in that one of my most-wanted is a Lord from 3 Houses, but that's because I got invested in Dimitri as a character and have concrete proof of his moveset bringing something unique to Smash. Point is, fans shouldn't be in charge of picking characters purely to promote a new game, it's NINTENDO'S job to put Roy and Corrin in to encourage people to get excited for an unreleased product. Its OUR job to push for Ridleys and Banjo-Kazooies because we love the characters, not because we're wannabe Nintendo marketing interns.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kirby should get at least 3 or even more characters to be honest... The cast bacame bigger with time and many characters are sticking around, even if they were intended to be one shot at first.

I have a personal bias for Adeleine, ok, but aside of that, Magolor is also becoming a new main character... he's everywhere and is being treated like Meta Knight recently (minus the boss fights).
Other characters such as Daroach and Gooey are becoming more and more popular with time and they're getting some merchandise as well.

The growth of the Kirby cast can't be ignored, it's severely underrepresented so far, and it's a big missed opportunity since all the Kirby characters have very unique gameplay styles.
I at least know of Adeleine and Bandana Dee being deserving, but those are a lot. Might need to educate myself a bit more in those characters. Never expected there to be so many.

I find it ironic that so many obvious first party characters are being ignored right now. Honestly with the whole Echo thing going around, there's no reason at all for huge first party titles to be so ignored.

DKC could get Funky Kong, DK Echo
Zelda could get Impa, Sheik Echo
StarFox could get Slippy Toad, maybe a clumsy Falco Echo
Kirby could get Galactia Knight , maybe a Meta Knight Echo

I mean, that's even without adding a total new character that gives us still a strong lore character for these franchises respectively, but is totally ignored for whatever reason.

I find it weird honestly.

D

Deleted member

Corrin was alright, but what really killed them is that they didn't receive the love Ryu and Bayo got with new stages and music--even in Ultimate. It's just sad, because I like the attention to detail they put into Corrin's moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
if I remember correctly, Golden Sun's plot was actually terrible. In the first game, the villains are actually supposed to be the good guys, but instead of discussing why they're good to the player, they destroy your village and beat up young children for overhearing their conversation when you first meet them. Bear in mind they don't kill you. They just kick your ass and walk away. And then have the gall to guilt the player into believing they were villains by the end of the game. What ****ing heroes.

And then in Part 2, you and the villains have the same goal of saving the world, but all the villains do is literally threaten you to save the world faster... LIKE WHAT!? You have the same goals as us! Why don't you HELP US!!!!!

This is also ignoring a lot of what you do in Golden Sun is filler unrelated to the plot.
I know nothing about Golden Sun. I just answered a question to which first party rep would I like to be playable in Smash Bros. my real comparison was Shining Force for the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive).

Oh well, at least my trash opinion spiced up the thread mood on here and it was nice to get a bunch of quotes for a change.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Im pretty sure people saying that Fire Emblem deserves to die and that it shouldn’t be as popular as it is, is pretty hateful.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I still stand by the fact that the worst newcomer I ever saw support for was "Fire Emblem Switch Lord". That period of time when Smash was announced and 3 Houses was merely a title, and already people were throwing support behind a character we didn't knew how they fought, what their personality was like, or even if their game was going to be any good. When fans created mockup wishlist rosters, they would add "Fire Emblem Switch Lord" because they "might" have a cool moveset for Smash or because previous games added new FE characters. You're essentially wishing for an OC in Smash, and I would have had far more respect if they wanted Hector or Lyn or Camilla instead, because they at least had character we actually knew about.

I think that's part of why I'm not fond of the idea of Edelgard in Smash, because she's partially a holdover of the old support for the unknown Switch Lord where they would have supported them no matter what because they were the main character of FE16. Edelgard could have probably eaten a baby in the game and her support base wouldn't take too bad a hit because the marketing told you she was the main character and therefore gets first dibs.

There's some irony in that one of my most-wanted is a Lord from 3 Houses, but that's because I got invested in Dimitri as a character and have concrete proof of his moveset bringing something unique to Smash. Point is, fans shouldn't be in charge of picking characters purely to promote a new game, it's NINTENDO'S job to put Roy and Corrin in to encourage people to get excited for an unreleased product. Its OUR job to push for Ridleys and Banjo-Kazooies because we love the characters, not because we're wannabe Nintendo marketing interns.
I mean, people did that constantly for Pokemon and still do with a First Party support thread. Who do they want, doesn't matter as long as it's first party! Unless it's FE, a major Nintendo IP

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I agree on that. I like Fire Emblem. I liked Fire Emblem Three Houses. I liked its characters. I would probably even like one if these in Smash. But give it a break, and bring Nintendo series that are yet to be represented by a fighter first.

Sakurai said he wanted to please the fans.
Fan demand is very clearly not the only metric going into picking the characters. I hope he'd say that. If he came into Smash saying "My goal is to piss off as many people as possible with this game" in interviews that would be an issue.

D

Deleted member

I know nothing about Golden Sun. I just answered a question to which first party rep would I like to be playable in Smash Bros. my real comparison was Shining Force for the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive).

Oh well, at least my trash opinion spiced up the thread mood on here and it was nice to get a bunch of quotes for a change.
You know nothing about Golden Sun but then you choose to say Fire Emblem should have died over it? The **** are you on?

Never played Shining Force, but you didn't make a convincing argument as to why I should even care.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean, people did that constantly for Pokemon and still do with a First Party support thread. Who do they want, doesn't matter as long as it's first party! Unless it's FE, a major Nintendo IP
watch your tongue, people who hate FE go into a ballistic battle cry if you call it a major IP :240:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

This is exactly why it's incredibly frustrating to see people ask for, like, "A Gen 8 Pokemon". It's so depressing to see people just kind of sigh and roll over and be so cynical that they're convinced there's going to be some kind of unknown Pokemon added "because marketing". It's like a holdover from when people thought the fighters pass was all going to be new or promotional characters. Now, I've grown super fond of Rillaboom and Sirfetch'd and am a little sad that we likely won't be getting either of them, but at least the Spirits event allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief that people can finally put this weirdly cynical vibe to bed. People care more about numbers and being "right" than for campaigning for who they want.

As for Three Houses, I really grew fond of all the lords while playing the game and want to see any of them in in any capacity. I'm not even a big Fire Emblem fan. I just really liked Three Houses as a game and world. It's like Astral Chain, I just think that game and Officer Howard are neat so they'd bring a lot of cool stuff to Smash.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting newer characters or considering that characters could be added to promote something, but it's irritating when it dominates the speculation scene when we're supposed to be a fandom based on "hey wouldn't it be cool if this videogame character and that videogame character fought".

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

I've only played two FE games to completion so far (Awakening and Fates), and let me tell you, as someone who liked Fates...

Corrin is probably the very first character that'd go on my personal chopping block if I had to choose what characters to cut in Smash. No offense to people who like them, of course; just my feelings. I personally would've rather had Lucina or Chrom get in with a unique moveset over Corrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom