• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
What’s your stance on companies reappearing for different characters after the pass? As in, do you think it’s possible for us to get another Sega/Square/Microsoft rep after the pass? I personally believe that we’ll only be getting one rep per company only based on what we’ve seen so far, but I’d love to be proven wrong.
I still think it's possible we could see other characters from those companies later down the line. It would be pretty lame if every single character had to be from a different company.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
To put it simply, the Fighters Pass does not feel right without a female character. If Smash 4 gave us Bayonetta, why not now? Why act later when you can act now? Why set your hopes for the future when you can have easy hopes at the present time?

It feels incomplete to me.
As a white male, I don't know what it means to be unrepresented. I just don't. It's a privilege that I have that I see people like me represented in movies and video games. The video game industry has changed a lot. Most characters requested are from the past where lots of characters where male lead, with the exception of a small minority (like croft). I still know this isn't an excuse though. Now, we are getting more representation from minorities. And it's great! I'm not sure how Japanese culture works but they may not have this need like it is in western culture. And Smash is a Japanese made game. I don't know it the culture there calls for representation like we do.

With that being said, to threaten yourself, the forum, and maybe even others is never okay. This is a video game. It's fake. There is a beautiful world out there. Let's not focus on quotas being met. Or trying to balance the roaster full of specific representation. The 1st 4 DLC packs have been amazing. I'm sure this next one will be whatever and whoever it is.

Please, if this is really deeply affecting you please go seek some help. There is nothing wrong with that. You have me concerned. And if they announce a male fighter I will be concerned for your health and the health of others. There are suicide hotline numbers to call also of therapy isn't an option. I know that is the case in some households.

Disclaimer: this was written on my phone and work. Sorry for the spelling errors.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What’s your stance on companies reappearing for different characters after the pass? As in, do you think it’s possible for us to get another Sega/Square/Microsoft rep after the pass? I personally believe that we’ll only be getting one rep per company only based on what we’ve seen so far, but I’d love to be proven wrong.
I want more Sega content in Smash so... yes I think it's possible. At least for Sega, since they have been really easy to work with so far.
As for square and Microsoft that seems a bit more up in the air.

Garuda

Smash Ace
Frankly, I've given up looking for patterns and policies. At this rate, I'm sure Nintendo and Sakurai would negotiate with Sony if they felt inclined to do so. Having multiple Capcom reps probably isn't a concern to anyone involved.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
...Huh.

Glad to see that speculation is well and no major arguments have occurred in here while I was busy.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
The topic is quickly becoming a meta discussion about the participants in the topic. >_>
Not a moderator or anything, obviously, but just saying, maybe time to right the ship?

I want more Sega content in Smash so... yes I think it's possible. At least for Sega, since they have been really easy to work with so far.
As for square and Microsoft that seems a bit more up in the air.
For Square, I think it's a matter of 'what' you're after, specifically.
You want Chrono? That might have some red tape...
You want Gex? Oh, dear lord, please do something with the IP! >_>

But I do agree with the SEGA sentiment. So many good options, and I could personally be content with multiple passes just using their IPs.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@Lesley Black Velvet we know your position. Literally we're going over the same stuff we were fourteen hours ago when I last popped by this thread. People agree with you or they don't. You don't stand to gain anything by acting like we have the ability to change a decision made over a year ago.

Please talk about something else, if you still feel compelled to soak up all the attention. Or, god forbid, go do something else.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Soon it’ll be 10 days since that hidden video was uploaded. Think a direct may be announced tomorrow?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
As a white male, I don't know what it means to be unrepresented. I just don't. It's a privilege that I have that I see people like me represented in movies and video games. The video game industry has changed a lot. Most characters requested are from the past where lots of characters where male lead, with the exception of a small minority (like croft). I still know this isn't an excuse though. Now, we are getting more representation from minorities. And it's great! I'm not sure how Japanese culture works but they may not have this need like it is in western culture. And Smash is a Japanese made game. I don't know it the culture there calls for representation like we do.
But enough about Smash Brothers.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The topic is quickly becoming a meta discussion about the participants in the topic. >_>
Not a moderator or anything, obviously, but just saying, maybe time to right the ship?

For Square, I think it's a matter of 'what' you're after, specifically.
You want Chrono? That might have some red tape...
You want Gex? Oh, dear lord, please do something with the IP! >_>

But I do agree with the SEGA sentiment. So many good options, and I could personally be content with multiple passes just using their IPs.
There are so many Sega games that I want to see represented in smash in some form (characters, stage, spirit or song) that I doubt we'll ever see most of them.
People like Kazuma Kiryu, Aiai, Nights, Amigo, Welkin, Sakura, Ristar, BDJoe... I can go on, the point is I love Sega IP's.

D

Deleted member

Thankfully I missed the whole mess but frankly there is something I want to make a general callout due to hw things ended up earlier.

Its totally fair to complaint about users when they are being problematic but at the same time there exists a report button for when people are getting difficult, dunno why the first reaction for people is just start acting high and mighty and gang up on people. You can ignore annoying users as well, and given the behavior of some people it just amuses me that people don't use this feature more often.

Mods also have stuff to do in real life and they can't be here all the time, and just looking at the ages of some of the people here, I would imagine that if people have already called out on someone with problematic behavior already we don't need other 10+ mini mods to dunk on people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd say Sora but he's an Disney rep and the closest we'll also be getting to an non-video game character ever.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I don't know. Most games nowadays are multi platform. Crash, Spyro and Tomb Raider are more associated with Playstation because the PSOne era.

The best way to describe it would be: they could be considered Playstation characters, but they're not Sony characters. That definition could apply also to other characters like Travis Touchdown or Bayonetta with Nintendo.
Fair enough. I shall be more specific in the future.

D

Deleted member

You don't stand to gain anything by acting like we have the ability to change a decision made over a year ago.

Please talk about something else, if you still feel compelled to soak up all the attention. Or, god forbid, go do something else.
Ganyan na tayo. Hehe...wala naman kayong pake sa akin.

Fine. What I meant to say is that if I didn't get what I want, you all need to take the appropriate action against me. I'm just accepting reality. If FP5 is male, well, okay, fine. At least I know, but I don't like it if all the talk is about males being THE frontrunners for the pass.

I'd like to admit that I'm indeed the worst person in this forum.

Soon it’ll be 10 days since that hidden video was uploaded. Think a direct may be announced tomorrow?
Most likely yes. The circumstances of having a pre-Game Awards Direct would probably be to end the Fighters Pass and proceed with the second season.

One things for sure: it’s not Geno, if Vergeben is anything to go by

Neku is the dream but I’d be fine with 2B too
2B will be a challenge to implement for the final character in the pass I think.

I'd say Sora but he's an Disney rep and the closest we'll also be getting to an non-video game character ever.
Good luck to Nintendo getting rights from Papa Disney.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

2B would be a pretty nice surprise since I'm currently playing through NieR Automata and enjoying it so far. I'd kill for some of the music from that game to make it in Smash, too.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

inb4 Neku's a spirit on Sora's spirit board.

TWEWY's connection to Kingdom hearts is pretty much the same as fatal fury and king of fighters. I can see it happening.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
"We've set up a special contingency deal with all appropriate parties, and whoever wins Game of the Year is getting into Smash as part of Fighter's Pass 2!"

And then Smash wins...

Sakurai: Well... ****.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
"We've set up a special contingency deal with all appropriate parties, and whoever wins Game of the Year is getting into Smash as part of Fighter's Pass 2!"

And then Smash wins...

Well, I guess we're getting playable Master Hand for every mode now...

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace

And then Smash wins...

Then Master Hand will finally be playable for real without using glitches!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, gotta tell the moderators that. If FP5 is indeed male, prepare your block buttons for a couple days because this woman's is gonna bust. But other than that, I am perfectly fine with it.
Lesley. You're giving everyone an ultimatum on factors we can't control. It's an awful thing to do in general and it certainly doesn't help your cause. It's things like this that give people the impression that feminists are people with itchy trigger fingers looking to screw over the opposite sex for the stupidest reasons. And I'm not saying it's not ok to be mad or voice your frustrations just...Do it once, and perhaps when that's where the conversation's going. We will get the message. Anything else is just annoying or rude. It'd be like if we got KOS-MOS and you were partying, but every time you saw me comment it's a negative post about how it should have been Amaterasu and that the next character had better be her or riot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is just...don't rain on everyone's parade.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
lol where you bouta riot? the local gamestop?
Here unfortunately. LBV "rioting" just means annoying us.

Fine, but I don't like it when all of them dedicate themselves to taking pleasure off my suffering.
Yes you do. Your entire "deal" is attention seeking theatrics. Someone actually giving you an excuse to do your martyr schtick is exactly what you hope for.

I wish Pokemon spin offs were still a thing
They were fine as long as you didn't have to play them to catch unique Pokemon.

I did NOT like having to play through an entire Ranger game to get Manaphy...and I'm pretty pissed about Meltan in Go.

What’s your stance on companies reappearing for different characters after the pass?.
Well, since 90% of the characters I want are from companies already in Smash, I'm super for it.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
So a question for everyone is... Assuming we get a reveal for FP #5 during The Game Awards, which character do you think has the best chance of being revealed during the show? For me I think it's a Capcom character, which is either Leon/Jill (especially since the Resident Evil 2 remake got nominated as GOTY) or Dante (the latter is more of a gut feeling, so don't take my word for it).
I agree a Capcom character seems likely to be revealed. I remember a while back, Hideki Kamiya released a poll on Twitter (that's long gone now) asking fans which character do hey wish to join Smash. Their choices was: 1. Amaterasu, 2. Dante, 3. Wonder-Red, and 4. Viewtiful Joe. The characters ranked in this order

1st. Dante
2nd. Amaterasu
3rd. Viewtiful Joe
4th. Wonder-Red

Do I believe that based of this poll, a character on here would definitely be added? Of course... *Ominous stares behind me intensifies* I don't, but it was a bit out of the blue for Hideki to put that out when he did. Long story short it give me just enough hope to believe Ammy is still possible as either the 5th fighter, or as a later character down the road in DLC who knows.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So we're guaranteed to see Smash Ultimate at The Game Awards on the 12th. It had just been nominated for a few awards (Best Family Game, Best Fighting Game, and Game of the Year). Doesn't mean a character reveal is guaranteed (I think it's likely, but it depends of it's FP #5 or the character after that) but it's great to see Smash have a presence during the show.

So a question for everyone is... Assuming we get a reveal for FP #5 during The Game Awards, which character do you think has the best chance of being revealed during the show? For me I think it's a Capcom character, which is either Leon/Jill (especially since the Resident Evil 2 remake got nominated as GOTY) or Dante (the latter is more of a gut feeling, so don't take my word for it).
Lloyd/Heihachi.

Calling it now.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I agree a Capcom character seems likely to be revealed. I remember a while back, Hideki Kamiya released a poll on Twitter (that's long gone now) asking fans which character do hey wish to join Smash. Their choices was: 1. Amaterasu, 2. Dante, 3. Wonder-Red, and 4. Viewtiful Joe. The characters ranked in this order

1st. Dante
2nd. Amaterasu
3rd. Viewtiful Joe
4th. Wonder-Red

Do I believe that based of this poll, a character on here would definitely be added? Of course... *Ominous stares behind me intensifies* I don't, but it was a bit out of the blue for Hideki to put that out when he did. Long story short it give me just enough hope to believe Ammy is still possible as either the 5th fighter, or as a later character down the road in DLC who knows.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall some tweet from Kamiya about a conversation he had with Takumi about Phoenix in Smash, but I don’t remember the context or anything. Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
As much as I want either Morrigan or Amaterasu, if we're getting a Capcom character at TGA it'll probably be a heavy hitter like Dante, Leon/Jill, or Phoenix Wright

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
If it's Capcom, it needs to be the only franchise to remain loyal to Nintendo from the Capcom 5.

Vanessa Schneider - pretends to be relevant!

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As much as I want either Morrigan or Amaterasu, if we're getting a Capcom character at TGA it'll probably be a heavy hitter like Dante, Leon/Jill, or Phoenix Wright
Yeah, as much as I want Arthur to be the next Capcom character, I recognize that he's not TGA material.

D

Deleted member

I guess what I'm trying to say is just...don't rain on everyone's
It's better if everyone just...sympathized with my caused.

Yes you do. Your entire "deal" is attention seeking theatrics. Someone actually giving you an excuse to do your martyr schtick is exactly what you hope for
Then you can just go with the others then. You never cared for my cause, so why don't you join them, huh? I was not an attention craver anyway, I'm just here to send a message.

If you're just gonna dedicate your time here to bash my theatrics, then let me be evil.

Lloyd/Heihachi.

Calling it now.
*the venom in my sneer intensifies*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom