• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Clearly, the only true solution is to pick a third option and to go for a pandaren (brewmaster).
A heavyweight beer-slinging panda would be awesome. Alas, no realistic candidate exists to substitute for that fantasy.

Unrelatedly, I think we're all aware how much Sakurai honors shoot 'em ups. Too bad none of the classic ones really stuck around, or really have any characters to be made playable.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
From the producers who brought you "Erdrick would be a Marth clone" somehow comes "Lara Croft would just be Bayonetta".
Wait HOLD UP is someone dissing Lara Croft by saying she has no moveset potential? As well as saying she'd be like Bayo of all people? Looks like someone hasn't seen or ever played a TR game like, ever.
I suppose I should elaborate on what I mean. I am not claiming that Lara would play anything like Bayonetta, nor exactly like the others I mentioned. What I meant was that moves like Bayo’s neutral B, Link’s neutral B, and ZSS’s down B fit quite easily into what Lara could do already in Tomb Raider.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Could be for a Nintendo Direct (most likely), or that Chinese presentation (wildcard, we have no idea when it's gonna be held too). If it's the latter, hoo boy that's Nintendo throwing people for a loop. FTR, I've recently seen a claim that grey market Switches have seen major rise in price, from $78 to $99.

Something else I found: Apparently the Switch is doing well in South Korea. The claimed number sold is 600K (incl. grey market) - not bad for a country who's grouped into the "Other" category (4 million), and apparently faster than the PS4 there. That gives more weight to the Blizzard talk IMO since Nintendo's giving the DLC list to Sakurai, and then letting Sakurai choose from that list (IIRC). Ring Fit Adventure is the point of interest, with that game getting Korean ads.
...SKX, you need to stop giving me hope. China AND South Korea? Wow. Yeah, the chances for a rep associated with Esports are rising if this keeps up.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I suppose I should elaborate on what I mean. I am not claiming that Lara would play anything like Bayonetta, nor exactly like the others I mentioned. What I meant was that moves like Bayo’s neutral B, Link’s neutral B, and ZSS’s down B fit quite easily into what Lara could do already in Tomb Raider.
Ah, I see now. TBH I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one; Lara has a TON of games to pull moveset inspiration from that I don't think any of her moves would really be all that similar to any others. Just my opinion, though.

On the topic of Lara still, I think she'd be an amazing add to Smash! I'd personally hope Sakurai would go more for classic TR Lara than modern, though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Does anyone remember what time the Ultiamte base Roster was decided at (besides the blank Gen 7 Pokemon goes here space, of course.)?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I suppose I should elaborate on what I mean. I am not claiming that Lara would play anything like Bayonetta, nor exactly like the others I mentioned. What I meant was that moves like Bayo’s neutral B, Link’s side B, and ZSS’s down B fit quite easily into what Lara could do already in Tomb Raider.!
Did you read the moveset I just posted? Because I believe I showed that Lara can bring her tools to Smash while also remaining completely unique to the roster. It is not important what type of weapon the character has, but what the character CAN do with the weapon that is important. Lara has dual pistols, but it would no doubt function much differently than Bayo's guns and Joker's gun.

All the posts criticizing Lara's moveset potential inspired me to make this moveset. It's not the best I can do for her, but I wanted to show that Lara has a ton of material to pull from from her games. I decided to make Lara a trap based character with a ton of versatility and projectiles that make her a deadly fighter. If the character is executed well with a fun moveset then would it matter what their weapon of choice is?

For those who think Lara would be boring I hope this might have changed your mind and showed you that Lara has a lot to bring to the table.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL: DUAL PISTOLS

Lara wields dual pistols as her neutral special. Before you shout Joker at my face, hear me out. Joker's gun has him fire a shot and then he either keeps shooting if you hold the button or he awkwardly moves from his place or he jumps. For Lara I suggest she can move freely with her dual pistols, kinda like Mega Man's pellets. Unlike Joker the rate of fire and range will be much higher. The bullets would cover a longer distance than Joker, with the knockback kicking in half way through. Think of the move as a combination of Mega Man's pellets and Joker's gun.

SIDE SPECIAL: BOW

The side special would be her firing an arrow from her bow. And before you shout Link at my face, I have an idea to make the move different. If you hold down the shield button and then press B you would open a menu of different arrows that you can pick and use. The default arrow is the silent arrow, it deals normal damage and has an unlimited number of uses. There are the poison arrows, which if hit would deal 13% of damage over time and the number of arrows is 10. There are the fire arrows, which have a similair usage to Young Link's arrows in that they send the opponent upwards to set up for combos, the number of arrows is 15. Lara also has the grenade arrows, which deals the highest knockback compared to all the arrows and can be used as kill options, the number of arrows is 5. And finally there are the Armor Piercing arrows, these arrows pass through opponents and projectiles, which means they can hit multiple opponents. These arrows can also pierce the opponent while they're shielding, making them great poking tools. The number of arrows is 10.

UP SPECIAL: GRAPPLE AXE

The up special would be Lara swinging her Grapple Axe upwards. It's a tether recovery that is similair in use to Joker's hook. One difference however is that if it hits an opponent, instead of bringing them towards her like Joker, Lara would swing using the rope in an arc until she's almost behind the opponent in which then she'll kick them flying in the opposite direction above her.

DOWN SPECIAL: PROXIMITY POISON GAS MINE

Her down special would be her planting a proximity poison gas mine. It's similair to Snake's C4 except instead of a regular explosion it deals poison damage to the opponent instead. If an opponent comes close to the mine then it will automatically detonate and trigger a poisonous gas. The mine can also be remotely detonated to trigger the gas. If triggered, the move deals 16% over time quickly. The purpose of the move is to be an area of denial move that limits the opponents movement. Combine the gas mine with her poison arrows and you will find Lara dealing tons of damage over time.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm not convinced that Lara Croft has a potential moveset for Super Smash Bros.
lol.
thats really all i have to say because i might say something really mean in response to this.

lara is a top 10 videogame character ever and arguably the number 1 female. she has decades of games and appeals to both younger and older audiences. she has a massive following. Her moveset potential is crazy high way higher than other characters like sans that are discussed in the smash echo chambers.
no she wouldn't be bayo. nor would she be anyone else.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone remember what time the Ultiamte base Roster was decided at (besides the blank Gen 7 Pokemon goes here space, of course.)?
The base roster was decided in December 2015, the same month Corrin and Bayonetta were revealed in the final Smash 4 presentation. That was when the proposal for the game was submitted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm telling you guys. Its worth keeping an eye out on Lara for a reason. Who knows assuming she gets in Sakurai might surprise us with how fun he makes her to play.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Slightly-below-room-temperature take: I'd rather F5 not be a western character. I don't like most western video games. It's not the end of the world if it is, though.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The base roster was decided in December 2015, the same month Corrin and Bayonetta were revealed in the final Smash 4 presentation. That was when the proposal for the game was submitted.
So if we take that date and that Ultimate was released at the tail end of 2018, that could be a good place to look for Nintendo content that may be incoming.

ARMS springs to mind, with the sticking point of Spring MAn being an assist trophy.

SKX31

Smash Master
...SKX, you need to stop giving me hope. China AND South Korea? Wow. Yeah, the chances for a rep associated with Esports are rising if this keeps up.
If anything, the Switch being a hybrid console and its lack of region lock is a godsend to the "Other" regions*. That's something Nintendo has noticed, and I could see Sakurai getting suggestions from Furukawa partly based on the "Other" regions.

While I don't see Sakurai ever adding a character for E-sports reasons, I could def. see Furukawa and other Nintendo execs asking Sakurai to at least look into them. I could see E-sports playing a part since they're built on interesting mechanics - that's partly why MvC2 and Melee survived for so long. Sakurai's already thought of Heihachi (Tekken's a massive mainstay in Korean arcades), and I could see him considering Starcraft or LoL because of their mechanics.

Still, I also hope for a E-sports associated character, and not just because my pipedream pick happens to be one. They're often a very intriguing source of potential mechanics.

*(Nintendo counts Japan, the Americas and EU as their three major regions FTR - the rest is "Other".)

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So if we take that date and that Ultimate was released at the tail end of 2018, that could be a good place to look for Nintendo content that may be incoming.

ARMS springs to mind, with the sticking point of Spring MAn being an assist trophy.
Something to keep an eye out in the case of future DLC is the prospect of characters from games recently released this year, such as Astral Chain and Three Houses. There's a chance we may get the Astral Chain protagonist and/or Byleth/Edelgard as future DLC.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Something to keep an eye out in the case of future DLC is the prospect of characters from games recently released this year, such as Astral Chain and Three Houses. There's a chance we may get the Astral Chain protagonist and/or Byleth/Edelgard as future DLC.
If I was making a five character "Switch Pack" I'd go for:
  1. Gen 8 Pokemon (Ask me who come the 17th)
  2. Edelgard (think she has the most gameplay potential without Byleth calling on Soothis)
  3. Min Min (She won the ARMS Party Clash finale after all)
  4. Rex and Pyra/Mythra (game and it's standalone expansion sold really well for the series)
  5. Astral Chain Protag/Akira
  6. Bonus Echo: Gooigi!

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
id much rather have a scifi future cop w a cyborg animal moveset than another blue haired fire emblem swordie

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
It's definitely a tad more fun to speculate about post-pass DLC just because it's a lot more open. The fact that it wasn't initially planned means there are many, many more possibilities and that things that hurt characters' chances for the pass may not be at play here.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
lol.
thats really all i have to say because i might say something really mean in response to this.

lara is a top 10 videogame character ever and arguably the number 1 female. she has decades of games and appeals to both younger and older audiences. she has a massive following. Her moveset potential is crazy high way higher than other characters like sans that are discussed in the smash echo chambers.
no she wouldn't be bayo. nor would she be anyone else.
All I said is that I don't see a potential moveset for her. I have no idea what you're going on about.

All the posts criticizing Lara's moveset potential inspired me to make this moveset. It's not the best I can do for her, but I wanted to show that Lara has a ton of material to pull from from her games. I decided to make Lara a trap based character with a ton of versatility and projectiles that make her a deadly fighter. If the character is executed well with a fun moveset then would it matter what their weapon of choice is?

For those who think Lara would be boring I hope this might have changed your mind and showed you that Lara has a lot to bring to the table.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL: DUAL PISTOLS

Lara wields dual pistols as her neutral special. Before you shout Joker at my face, hear me out. Joker's gun has him fire a shot and then he either keeps shooting if you hold the button or he awkwardly moves from his place or he jumps. For Lara I suggest she can move freely with her dual pistols, kinda like Mega Man's pellets. Unlike Joker the rate of fire and range will be much higher. The bullets would cover a longer distance than Joker, with the knockback kicking in half way through. Think of the move as a combination of Mega Man's pellets and Joker's gun.

SIDE SPECIAL: BOW

The side special would be her firing an arrow from her bow. And before you shout Link at my face, I have an idea to make the move different. If you hold down the shield button and then press B you would open a menu of different arrows that you can pick and use. The default arrow is the silent arrow, it deals normal damage and has an unlimited number of uses. There are the poison arrows, which if hit would deal 13% of damage over time and the number of arrows is 10. There are the fire arrows, which have a similair usage to Young Link's arrows in that they send the opponent upwards to set up for combos, the number of arrows is 15. Lara also has the grenade arrows, which deals the highest knockback compared to all the arrows and can be used as kill options, the number of arrows is 5. And finally there are the Armor Piercing arrows, these arrows pass through opponents and projectiles, which means they can hit multiple opponents. These arrows can also pierce the opponent while they're shielding, making them great poking tools. The number of arrows is 10.

UP SPECIAL: GRAPPLE AXE

The up special would be Lara swinging her Grapple Axe upwards. It's a tether recovery that is similair in use to Joker's hook. One difference however is that if it hits an opponent, instead of bringing them towards her like Joker, Lara would swing using the rope in an arc until she's almost behind the opponent in which then she'll kick them flying in the opposite direction above her.

DOWN SPECIAL: PROXIMITY POISON GAS MINE

Her down special would be her planting a proximity poison gas mine. It's similair to Snake's C4 except instead of a regular explosion it deals poison damage to the opponent instead. If an opponent comes close to the mine then it will automatically detonate and trigger a poisonous gas. The mine can also be remotely detonated to trigger the gas. If triggered, the move deals 16% over time quickly. The purpose of the move is to be an area of denial move that limits the opponents movement. Combine the gas mine with her poison arrows and you will find Lara dealing tons of damage over time.
Although your moveset consists of things that most other characters can do, The moveset seems great and well rounded overall. I think her dual pistols should be part of her standard attacks since they are her bread and butter for combat situations. Also I find it a little cumbersome to have her Bow as her side special with her shielding to pick out an arrow.

No problems with the other moves but switch the bow to her neutral special and find something else that can be used for her Side special.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
ARMS springs to mind
I see what you did there.

If anything, the Switch being a hybrid console and its lack of region lock is a godsend to the "Other" regions*. That's something Nintendo has noticed, and I could see Sakurai getting suggestions from Furukawa partly based on the "Other" regions.

While I don't see Sakurai ever adding a character for E-sports reasons, I could def. see Furukawa and other Nintendo execs asking Sakurai to at least look into them. I could see E-sports playing a part since they're built on interesting mechanics - that's partly why MvC2 and Melee survived for so long. Sakurai's already thought of Heihachi (Tekken's a massive mainstay in Korean arcades), and I could see him considering Starcraft or LoL because of their mechanics.

Still, I also hope for a E-sports associated character, and not just because my pipedream pick happens to be one. They're often a very intriguing source of potential mechanics.

*(Nintendo counts Japan, the Americas and EU as their three major regions FTR - the rest is "Other".)
Yeah, I don't think they'd be added for the sake of being Esports, but as far as MOBAs are concerned, they've been trying to go big on mobile for a long time, never really succeeding outside of Asia - Wild Rift might be the first.

The Switch, being a portable console, might present a golden opportunity for these companies, because there's a whole audience that, for the most part, is untapped in their genre.

Hoping next year holds good things for a certain nine-tailed fox...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Slightly-below-room-temperature take: I'd rather F5 not be a western character. I don't like most western video games. It's not the end of the world if it is, though.
It's funny, but I kinda feel the same way after thinking about it, despite playing more Western games than I do Japanese ones.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I know HRC was apparently gonna be the last new mode, but I'd love to see a future update allow you to do random classic modes. As in, the route is just random fights.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I feel Japanese games have fallen by the wayside in terms of quality. Americans have surpassed them. In the 90s Japanese devs were unquestionably better but America has always had more unique characters. There are plenty of modern and retro western characters I'd like to see but all the japanese characters I want to see are retro.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I feel Japanese games have fallen by the wayside in terms of quality. Americans have surpassed them. In the 90s Japanese devs were unquestionably better but America has always had more unique characters. There are plenty of modern and retro western characters I'd like to see but all the japanese characters I want to see are retro.
I wouldn't be too sure, if we're only talking the big companies. All this live service, lootbox nonsense has really hurt the appeal of most big US games for me personally.

If we widen it to include the indie market, I can see where you're coming from.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I actually feel the opposite; I feel that character design tends to be a bit sharper overall in Japanese games.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Although your moveset consists of things that most other characters can do, The moveset seems great and well rounded overall. I think her dual pistols should be part of her standard attacks since they are her bread and butter for combat situations. Also I find it a little cumbersome to have her Bow as her side special with her shielding to pick out an arrow.

No problems with the other moves but switch the bow to her neutral special and find something else that can be used for her Side special.
Thanks for the feedback!

I put the Bow as a side special since the special arrows have a limited number of uses so using them requires timing and precision. The placement of the Bow as a side special is for the player to not accidentally misfire and lose an arrow by accidents. The dual pistols are Lara's neutral special because I want her to move forward and backward while firing, so I figured the neutral special makes sense for the move. In my opinion the pistols are far too iconic to not be a special move. As for her standard attacks I was thinking Lara would use her knife and axe as her tilts and smash attacks. The pistols could be used in an aerial or a throw.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Thanks for the feedback!

I put the Bow as a side special since the special arrows have a limited number of uses so using them requires timing and precision. The placement of the Bow as a side special is for the player to not accidentally misfire and lose an arrow by accidents. The dual pistols are Lara's neutral special because I want her to move forward and backward while firing, so I figured the neutral special makes sense for the move. In my opinion the pistols are far too iconic to not be a special move. As for her standard attacks I was thinking Lara would use her knife and axe as her tilts and smash attacks. The pistols could be used in an aerial or a throw.
I think you're greatly under rating standard attacks. Lara's dual pistols are as important and reliable to her as Megaman's Mega Buster and it'd be a great dis-service to keep them as her special attacks. If Megaman can keep moving forward while shooting his mega pellets, then Lara should be able to move forwards and backwards while shooting with the standard attacks. Also she could jump up and backflip while shooting like the older games without having to unreliably hold the b button and have to shield or crouch to unequip them (Like Banjo & Kazooie as much as I hate to admit). I'm going off from her original games as that's what I think Sakurai would base her from and she is normally seen using her Dual Pistols. Besides it would make her stand out more from Joker to rely on the pistols more.

As for the Bow and Arrow, the misfire argument doesn't seem very convincing and I still think it should be a neutral special. Side specials should be saved for attacks that make the player move forward or attack in front of them. Also looking back at your Bow and Arrow moveset, it seems a bit complicated for what it's worth. You got all of these different kinds of arrows and they are limited as well. It's better to keep things simple and work with an unlimited supply of one type of arrow in my opinion.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
You seem a little parched!
Have one on the house!

Could be for a Nintendo Direct (most likely), or that Chinese presentation (wildcard, we have no idea when it's gonna be held too). If it's the latter, hoo boy that's Nintendo throwing people for a loop. FTR, I've recently seen a claim that grey market Switches have seen major rise in price, from $78 to $99.
That doesn't really seem all that likely to me. Back when the Fighter Pass was decided on, I think they really didn't know when that Chinese release would pan out.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If were lucky we'll get FP5 announced next week or the week after then our first post-Pass DLC fighter along with what's next coming such as an Season Pass 2.

Do you guys think that'll happen?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
That unlisted video is obviously of something. Perhaps something minor, but still something. We're getting something soon, but it could easily be something small and not F5. Timing is oddly around the time 6.1.0 caught our attention. (Notice the middle number is what got bumped.) Maybe a tiny new thing like the stuff in 3.1.0?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the Ricther and Dark Samus amiibo come out on the 17th of January according to Google so that could possibly be the timeframe that the last character will release in.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Well the Ricther and Dark Samus amiibo come out on the 17th of January according to Google so that could possibly be the timeframe that the last character will release in.
And that's a very reasonable timeframe, judging by the patterns of DLC thus far.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Censor dodging
You're going to love this. Trust me. What you're seeing now is normal salt. :cool:

Tracer's problem is that her moveset is almost entirely prescribed already based on her current game, and doesn't translate super well.
This is iodized salt. :ghost088:

I'm not convinced that Lara Croft has a potential moveset for Super Smash Bros.
And this.... This is what is known as sodium chloride that has ascended salt. Or you could just call this potassium chloride. :mad088:

She doesn't much interest me moveset-, design-, or character-wise. I do find it amusing that triangle boobs is now considered a female empowerment character.
And this.... Is... To go... Even further... Beyond. Ahhhhh!!!! :smileye:

****. Here's what I had to say about Lara Croft in another conversation. I didn't know we had some mofos who were this unaware of one of the GOATS.

Tomb Raider is the series that got me into gaming as a young girl, after watching my older sister play it and trying to help her out with the puzzles. It took us an eternity to beat that sh*t but it was captivating as hell. Tomb Raider wasn't the first video game that we owned but it was the first one to grab my attention. I looked up to Lara Croft; she's clever, resolute, talented, and coordinated. She's a total badass and always has been. Many video game icons back then were devoid of personality, but Lara felt real; betch had a full name and a believable backstory. Hell, there was a time that I thought that there was a real life Lara Croft and I know I'm not the only one
Now let's talk about her move list. Dual pistols aside, this ***** has a motorcycle, Excalibur, The Spear of Destiny, AND Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) in her possession and you can't think of anything interesting? She's summoned the undead before. Hell, her bow and arrow has a rope attached to it that doubles as a zipline. She can have a crafting mechanic that includes creating and managing smoke/incendiary bombs, shrapnel grenades, poison gas mines. She can set things on fire with a torch. Wall jumping and clinging is one thing but nobody wall climbs. All of this and she has her style of athleticism. Your lack of imagination is disturbing. Whether they blend every version of her or stick with the newer games, there's a ****load of amazing things that Lara can do.

They did not have as much freedom with Piranha Plant as some of you believe. Its move list heavily referenced its long ass history as a recurring enemy with a recycled animation or two thrown in. Lara has a lot more inspiration to draw from.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Since it's currently Lara Croft's day on the RTC I wanted to bring her up in here and ask what everyone thinks about her, because I think she's criminally underlooked when it comes to a third potential Square Enix rep.
She got popularity and is a quite recognizable character even to people that never played a Tomb Raider game. Her main challenge is pretty much SE and Nintendo chosing her over the likes of 2B or more FF which have the advantage of being SE original properties which I would imagine they feel more attached to them.

Other than that, old Lara or bust.

D

Deleted member

I’m so hyped for the Dark Samus amiibo!

I will finally have every Metroid amiibo confirmed as of now!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
That unlisted video is obviously of something. Perhaps something minor, but still something. We're getting something soon, but it could easily be something small and not F5. Timing is oddly around the time 6.1.0 caught our attention. (Notice the middle number is what got bumped.) Maybe a tiny new thing like the stuff in 3.1.0?
Except this situation has happened before with Ver 3.1.0 and the video was on Nintendo's channel

This was the content we got with 3.1.0

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
More the reason to possibility believe FP5 coming out this month. Normally upon being revealed an DLC character gets released two months after.

Still I expect it to not be until the VGA but we can keep hoping.

D

Deleted member

Maybe a few years ago when the Japanese devs were in a slump.

But right now? Capcom and Nintendo have been killing it the last couple of years and pretty much FFXIV is one of the top MMORPG right now at least in terms of quality. Plus stuff like Nier Automata and Persona 5 are some of the best games in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom