• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Doesn’t have to be at TGA. Could be an anniversary stream/Direct like some people have speculated. I know Sabi teased towards TGA but they never clarified if that was Smash focused or not.

Edit: They could also reveal her on the anniversary and still reveal Doomslayer/Geno at the awards too. There’s a lot of ways it could roll out but I’m just saying she could still be a possibility due to the leak not being debunked. I’m still thinking it will be a Bandai rep but I’d be pretty stoked to get her instead.
Sabi has specified that VGA post was speculation.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
God this is such a roller coaster. Especially when my most wanted is not yet Thanos'd. I need something to drink.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Fighter 5 is not Hayabusa, and now it's not Doomguy or Geno...
That peculiar drunk cat post on 4chan claiming Kos-Mos as fighter 5 and the plans for Ryu Hayabusa and maybe Reimu down the line as Post-Pass fighters...
Oh_yeah_Coming_Together.gif

In all seriousness, that would be a fine timeline to be in. (Now to hope Phoenix Wright and more Nintendo characters like Byleth, Akira Howard and Elma are also included too)

So here's a fun topic what assist trophies would you guys want to break free and become playable let's limit it to 5
1. Alucard
2. Issac
3. Takamaru
4. Shadow
5. Bomber Man
Late but:
1: Isaac
2: Takamaru
3: Shadow
4: Ashley
5: Waluigi

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
We currently don't know how post-Fighters Pass DLC is gonna be handled, right? It could just be a Fighters Pass 2 and they'll be revealing characters the same way as always, but in the event that it's somehow handled differently... how would you feel about the possibility of the post-Fighters Pass DLC characters being revealed all at once and ahead of time, all in a single trailer, leaving just their gameplay and accompanying music and spirits for us to speculate on?

A good example of what I'm referring to would be the trailer for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which revealed all the Season 3 DLC characters ahead of time (and I believe it was mostly positively received, too). I personally wouldn't mind if post-Fighters Pass DLC had an awesome trailer like that, with a montage of all the DLC characters doing their usual thing in their home games, only for a Smash invitation to fly by and they successfully grab it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Now imagine if that first of these point that you're so 100% of certain of turns out to be wrong, too, lol.
That Fighter 5 will be Third Party?
I'll put it to you this way. If Fighter 5 is a first party character, I will break an egg on my face and film it.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy and Geno are dead.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
That's... not what the tweet says? Sabi's saying neither are FP5, not that they're not happening. And while the conclusion they've drawn is that the Mii leak is fake (which it very well could be, not denying that; I'm eager to see how much more model and texture detail can be managed by modders with Mii hats, since that's the biggest remaining discrepancy between the leak and what Mii hat mods can manage), I don't understand how "the costumes don't make sense for FP5" equates to "they aren't happening at all."

Really, I'm just worried this leak is far from over.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
That Fighter 5 will be Third Party?
I'll put it to you this way. If Fighter 5 is a first party character, I will break an egg on my face and film it.
Is there any way to save certain quotes for the long-term other than putting them in a signature? 'Cause I wanna keep this one around, just in case.

KatKit

Smash Lord
2. 2B.
To my knowledge, she has not appeared on a Nintendo console even as a cameo, so she's not eligible in my honest opinion.
Her costume is in the Switch version of Phantasy Star Online 2. That's a cameo.

Regardless, I think the "having to appear on a Nintendo console" fan rule is silly; Sakurai has mentioned that the scope of Smash has expanded to celebrate videogames as a whole. You also should factor in that a character can be announced alongside an upcoming game on a Nintendo console. Especially one where the creators have been asking for a Switch port for years. Although they stated that ultimately, the decision is up to SquareEnix, but we know that a SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro. It's a pretty safe bet that Square has something planned up their sleeve. We also know that they're easy to work with. And we also know how much Sakurai loves the series.

Tl;dr: She more or less has a cameo on the Switch, even though that shouldn't matter. Your fan rule doesn't make sense at this point, particularly because they can always announce a game for the Switch. It's fairly likely in 2B's case because the creators want to do it and fans want it. Smash would help said port sell. Everyone involved wins.

Is there any way to save certain quotes for the long-term other than putting them in a signature? 'Cause I wanna keep this one around, just in case.
Quote it and wait for the day to click "insert quote" at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Her costume is in the Switch version of Phantasy Star Online 2. That's a cameo.

Regardless, I think the "having to appear on a Nintendo console" fan rule is silly; Sakurai has mentioned that the scope of Smash has expanded to celebrate videogames as a whole. You also should factor in that a character can be announced alongside an upcoming game on a Nintendo console. Especially one where the creators have been asking for a Switch port for years. Although they stated that ultimately, the decision is up to SquareEnix, but we know that a SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro. It's a pretty safe bet that Square has something planned up their sleeve. We also know that they're easy to work with. And we also know how much Sakurai loves the series.

Tl;dr: She more or less has a cameo on the Switch, even though that shouldn't matter. Your fan rule doesn't make sense at this point, particularly because they can always announce a game for the Switch. It's fairly likely in 2B's case because the creators want to do it and fans want it. Smash would help said port sell. Everyone involved wins.
Which is why I said it was my opinion.
There simply is no precedent yet.
Especially as a Waluigi fan, it is a sad admission that there is also no precedent for an Assist Trophy being upgraded within the same game.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
By all means, have an opinion, but she did appear on a Nintendo console in some capacity.
I'll grant you that. She looks cool enough, but I have my severe doubts.
Since Doom Slayer is evidently not Fighter 5, my current gut feeling is Monster Hunter.

KatKit

Smash Lord
People once had their doubts about Joker, but here we are...

Monster Hunter is a safe bet. I never bought the Rathalos-only thing. xD Although I'd prefer other Bandai Namco reps, a Godeater rep would be dope and basically the next best thing.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Just because the Mii hats aren't related to FP5 doesn't mean it's fake and contrary to what Sabi said there is no reason to assume post-pass content isn't being worked on. I'm not trying to "save" the leak or anything but the reasoning is weak.

Ornl

Smash Ace
So :
- No Geno, the biggest discussion.
- No Crash, Top 1 in RTC thread.
- No Hayabusa, top 5.
- No Doomguy, top 7.
# 2, 3, 4 and 6 are from Capcom / Bamco. So they are expected, saw it coming, the opposite of the Reggie's announcement about the Fighter Pass 1.
No. 8 is Reimu, but has been overvrated by fans.

According to Sabi's claims, it would be 1 year that the bulk of the Smash community kicks in touch, which would be logical since 3/4 of the previous Fighters Pass Fighter was really unexpected, as announced (even with the first Vergebern's leak, Hero remained unexpected because Erdrick was still rated 3rd as Squenix rep after Sora and Geno).

The top 9 in RTC thread is Professor Layton. There, it becomes interesting IMO.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'll grant you that. She looks cool enough, but I have my severe doubts.
Since Doom Slayer is evidently not Fighter 5, my current gut feeling is Monster Hunter.
I've seen people say that Monster Hunter is represented well enough with just Rathalos... but personally, I think it's really, really, really weird that a big and popular series like Monster Hunter just has Rathalos and nothing else.

No spirits of any other monsters like Lagiacrus or Dah'ren Mohran, no Palico spirits, no spirits based on any of the Hunter armor sets... even the Monster Hunter Mii Fighter costume is absent. It's like if Resident Evil had some representation in Smash, but it was just the Tyrant from the first game as a boss battle and spirit, and nothing else. The series has plenty of material to use, and it's big enough to warrant using plenty of it, yet you only use a little bit?

With all that in mind... I think Monster Hunter is very likely to be DLC. If not Fighter 5, then at least as post-Pass.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
appearing on nintendo consoles has seemed irrelevant to me ever since joker came out with absolutely zero reference to persona Q/Q2

i don't think sakurai/nintendo brought him in just because of a set of obscure and poorly-selling JRPGs for a system the switch has long since replaced

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I think it's more the relationship Nintendo has with a specific company over whether the character had an appearance on a Nintendo console. All the parent companies of the current DLC characters have had pretty good relationships with Nintendo

D

Deleted member

*whistling*

Um...yesh. Bamco rep will be our final FP character. Dear God the wait.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I've seen people say that Monster Hunter is represented well enough with just Rathalos... but personally, I think it's really, really, really weird that a big and popular series like Monster Hunter just has Rathalos and nothing else.

No spirits of any other monsters like Lagiacrus or Dah'ren Mohran, no Palico spirits, no spirits based on any of the Hunter armor sets... even the Monster Hunter Mii Fighter costume is absent. It's like if Resident Evil had some representation in Smash, but it was just the Tyrant from the first game as a boss battle and spirit, and nothing else. The series has plenty of material to use, and it's big enough to warrant using plenty of it, yet you only use a little bit?

With all that in mind... I think Monster Hunter is very likely to be DLC. If not Fighter 5, then at least as post-Pass.
The lack of MH content is what made me really suspicious too, mainly that there is a whole area on the WoL map dedicated to Rathalos but no MH spirits whatsoever...
Maybe they could pull a Metal Slug and just include some MonHun content with a different Capcom fighter. I've been speculating Dante for quite a while now so I'd bet my money on him.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The lack of MH content is what made me really suspicious too, mainly that there is a whole area on the WoL map dedicated to Rathalos but no MH spirits whatsoever...
Maybe they could pull a Metal Slug and just include some MonHun content with a different Capcom fighter. I've been speculating Dante for quite a while now so I'd bet my money on him.
Monster Hunter World had a collaboration event that brought Devil May Cry-themed content into that game, so Dante coming with Monster Hunter content would make sense.

Funnily enough, Monster Hunter World also had a crossover collaboration event with Final Fantasy XIV, and another Mii Fighter costume missing from Ultimate is the Chocobo hat (which could've returned with Hero's Mii Fighter costume wave, but that one was completely Dragon Quest-themed). I wonder...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

That's what I've been saying as well. People have been sleeping on the possibility of Monster Hunter being DLC with how bare bones the content with Rathalos is. If Rathalos was all what Monster Hunter was getting then they would've went all out with the music and spirits, but they didn't and held back quite a lot.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
When it comes to crossovers always bet on Capcom.
Leon/Jill here we go!
Even though the door is wide open as to who FP5 is, I really do have a gut feeling that it'll be a Resident Evil character. Someone mentioned earlier that it's one of the last Japan-centric bestselling series not represented in Smash in any form, and while that doesn't mean too much on its own, Resident Evil is a franchise with undoubtable global popularity and historical relevance to the gaming industry, and would be a serious win for the biggest crossover title in all of gaming to have under its belt. Plus, with the VGAs fast approaching, even though the FP5 reveal could easily be at an earlier or later date, I feel that this event in particular would be a perfect time to soak up Western attention and bookend Joker's trailer with another big reveal in the vein of someone like Leon or Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Even though the door is wide open as to who FP5 is, I really do have a gut feeling that it'll be a Resident Evil character. Someone mentioned earlier that it's one of the last Japan-centric bestselling series not represented in Smash in any form, and while that doesn't mean too much on its own, Resident Evil is a franchise with undoubtable global popularity and historical relevance to the gaming industry, and would be a serious win for the biggest crossover title in all of gaming to have under its belt. Plus, with the VGAs fast approaching, even though the FP5 reveal could easily be at an earlier or later date, I feel that this event in particular would be a perfect time to soak up Western attention and bookend Joker's trailer with another big reveal in the vein of someone like Leon or Monster Hunter.
Yup
With Resident Evil 2 Remake being nominated at the game awards it's the perfect place to announce the reveal for someone like Leon. I believe both Resident Evil and Monster Hunter will happen. My prediction is that Resident Evil will be FP5 and Monster Hunter is gonna happen after the pass.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So :
- No Geno, the biggest discussion.
- No Crash, Top 1 in RTC thread.
- No Hayabusa, top 5.
- No Doomguy, top 7.
# 2, 3, 4 and 6 are from Capcom / Bamco. So they are expected, saw it coming, the opposite of the Reggie's announcement about the Fighter Pass 1.
No. 8 is Reimu, but has been overvrated by fans.

According to Sabi's claims, it would be 1 year that the bulk of the Smash community kicks in touch, which would be logical since 3/4 of the previous Fighters Pass Fighter was really unexpected, as announced (even with the first Vergebern's leak, Hero remained unexpected because Erdrick was still rated 3rd as Squenix rep after Sora and Geno).

The top 9 in RTC thread is Professor Layton. There, it becomes interesting IMO.
>RTC ever being right

Look. not to be disrespectful, but i'll be disrespectful The RTC is like the biggest meme on this website and the biggest Hivemind and Bandwaggoning on earth, and the litteral definition of Smash Bubble where character supporter leave their thread to boost their character chance, or the RTC happens right as a leak about said character happens and everyone lose their ****.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
people assuming that demitri maximovf and friggin jedah are more cero friendly than morrigan ...

I'm sorry , but i think that morrigan could still be done decently for cero friendly.. but jedah? there is no way you can make him cero friendly withouth butchering the character... considering almost all of his attacks contain animated blood and self mutilation DX

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So if Mii Leak is truly dead and Doomslayer isn't #5... then it's back to Resident Evil or Ace Attorney in my book. Capcom seems way more likely than Bandai Namco at this point.

Sure. Actually that makes me wonder who everyone thinks might be an underrated pick for Smash that nobody is really talking about. I brought up a Soul Calibur rep the other day(and thanks to whoever it was that showed me Nightmare, he looks sick) but another thing I might go with is a League of Legends character. Like before, I can't really say who I think it would be mainly because LoL doesn't have one decided mascot like a lot of series do. I feel like it has enough worldwide popularity though that it should be looked at. Pretty big in North America and the UK for sure and some parts of the east, although I believe it's more Korea and China than Japan which might cause an issue. Riot is owned by Tencent as well, who I remember we just got done talking about recently in here. Personally I'm leaning towards probably not but I think it could pick up some traction much like Reimu did if it was tossed in some "leaks"
May I interest you in the general League support thread, then? It's over here. You can vote on which Champion you want or think is more likely.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Mii leak has run its course. I hope the modder comes out and shows how he did it. Would be interesting to see.

If Namco is truly our last FP character, I'm going all in on Chosen Undead.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So Crash Bandicoot, Doomguy, Ryu Hyabusa and Geno are not character no. 5 but nothing has been said about whether any of them could be post Pass content.

I figured it wouldn't be Geno as we already got a SE character (or 4) but who does that leave us with?

Let's Break it down by company for those already involved.

Nintendo: It's possible we could get another Corrin style pick with a Gen 8 Pokemon or a Three Houses character but I have my doubts. Other fan favorites that didn't quite make it will most likely have to wait for post pass or Smash 6 (7?)
Konami: They already have their biggest series in as playable or Assist Trophies. That would leave Contra, Frogger or Silent Hill. I don't think even Sakurai could make a moveset out of a Pachinkslot game.
Sega: Have Joker through Atlas. Of their other characters only Kazuma Kiryu of Yakuza makes sense to me. (There's also Hatsune Miku but I'm not sure if Sakurai would count her)
Capcom: Their largest series is still unrepresented as there's no Resident Evil content. They also have a lot of Nintendo fan favourite series such as Okami and Phoenix Wright.
Namco: Pac-Man covers their arcade games (along with a Prince of all Cosmos cameo) so they have a large pool to draw from in either their fighting games (Tekken, Soul Calibur) or their RPGs (Xenosaga, Tales of, Dark Souls)
Square Enix: Really difficult to work with and already added Hero (with music on sufferance apparently) but have a lot to chose from for later content including the now infamous Geno.
Microsoft: Added Banjo-Kazooie so nothing doing. Minecraft content may come down the line, vauge hopes of Halo follow.
SNK: Included their entire publishing history (minus Mai) with Terry so I think they're content with just him.

So from most to least, of the ones already involved I'd say Namco, then Capcom, followed by Konami and the rest trailing further behind. Capcom got Ken in the Base game and Konami added the Belmonts so Namco is the one that stick out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom