• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
MIDNA REQUESTS WHERE THEY AT?!
I'll only allow Midna if Wolf Link gets to come along. lol
I agree about everyone except Arceus....although Arceus vs :ultpalutena: or :ultridley: or of course the most god of all men himself............
:ultkirby:
sounds like such a holy fight.....but still prefer Sceptile & Zoroark for a Unova & Hoenn rep. Since technically.....

:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultjigglypuff:Kanto
:ultpichu:Johto
:ultlucario:Sinnoh
:ultgreninja:Kalos
:ultincineroar:Alola
I dunno...Arceus just feels right to me as the next Pokémon pick. I'm not even that wild about it in its games. I suppose it helps that I don't care too much about Sceptile or Zoroark.

Sorry, what?
This pic cracks me up. Personally, Xenoblade Chronicles X resonates with me more than Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I like them both though and ideally we could get both Team Elma and Rex, Pyra, & Mythra.

I like this, here's my take:
Super Mario: Geno
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Poochie
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokemon: Lycanroc
Earthbound: Claus
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Ice Climber: Polar Bear
Fire Emblem: Byleth (assuming he's not DLC. If he is, Sigurd)
Game & Watch: Uhhh... Mrs. Game & Watch?
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Wario Ware: Mona
Metal Gear Solid: Raiden
Sonic: Tails
Pikmin: Louie
R.O.B: Professor Hector
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: X
Wii Fit: Wii Balance Board
Punch-Out: King Hippo
Mii: Wii Mii (moveset based on Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Sports Resort)
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade: Elma
Duck Hunt: Hogan's Alley Gangster
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tifa (if it has to be a FF7 character. If not, Terra)
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Splatoon: Octoling (armed with Splatoon 2 weapons)
Castlevania: Alucard
Persona: Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest: Jessica
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Mai Shiranui
Did...Did I seriously skip over Kirby while looking at the series list? I would pick Bandanna Waddle Dee as well. Can't believe I missed it.

The Final Fantasy VII, Persona 5, and Fatal Fury series bother me because they're either just one game, or a smaller subset of a larger series. I didn't add anything interesting (or at all for the most part) from those series because I couldn't think of anything from Persona 5 or Fatal Fury specifically. I added the Chocobo for Final Fantasy VII because Sephiroth doesn't really speak to me as an interesting addition. (As if it wasn't blatantly obvious that I haven't played the game. lol)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
IThe Final Fantasy VII, Persona 5, and Fatal Fury series bother me because they're either just one game, or a smaller subset of a larger series. I didn't add anything interesting (or at all for the most part) from those series because I couldn't think of anything from Persona 5 or Fatal Fury specifically. I added the Chocobo for Final Fantasy VII because Sephiroth doesn't really speak to me as an interesting addition. (As if it wasn't blatantly obvious that I haven't played the game. lol)
I'd say you can definitely look outside Persona 5 for Persona content. While the series is marked as "Persona 5", there's enough content from the other Persona games already (costumes and music) for another Persona character to be part of the same series. Fatal Fury is a little more iffy given how little we've seen, but we know that Ryo Sakazaki makes an appearance on Terry's stage, so you could probably add a King of Fighters character and make it work.

As always, Final Fantasy is an enigma when it comes to Smash. Literally everything from is from VII, and we have no idea if that means that future content is limited exclusively to that sub-series or characters from other Final Fantasies are fair game.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
do you know what a fighter being unique even means
A character that isn't on every single individual's wish kid. Skull Kid's one of them. Then again not so much. The only character outshining him on almost every. single. individual's wish list is ****king. Geno. My take on unique is a character that isn't so massively requested or literally on everyone's radar like Geno or Ryu Hasabasa, or a character that has movesets that haven't been done to death. Hand-to-Hand combat, guns & blasters, and especially blades. Characters on the roster that I see as unique out of the bunch are :ultvillager: for utilizing slice-of-life activities in a combative way. And I especially love :ultpacman: & :ultgnw:.

Now, I might be harsh on Skull Kid. I'm not so sure he's as highly requested anymore...but idk. I don't really see the appeal to him. Same with Waddle Dee. Though I like him, I don't really see the appeal of him being a fighter in Smash, while we have many more Kirby characters with unique abilities.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know, I came across this Twitter post today...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm not saying it totally holds water, but I find it interesting to think about...
EVERYONE CHANGE YOUR ICON TO FIORA SO NINTENDO CAN KNOW XENO FANS MEAN BUSINESS

(Surprised no Elma or Rex icon tbh)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd say you can definitely look outside Persona 5 for Persona content. While the series is marked as "Persona 5", there's enough content from the other Persona games already (costumes and music) for another Persona character to be part of the same series. Fatal Fury is a little more iffy given how little we've seen, but we know that Ryo Sakazaki makes an appearance on Terry's stage, so you could probably add a King of Fighters character and make it work.

As always, Final Fantasy is an enigma when it comes to Smash. Literally everything from is from VII, and we have no idea if that means that future content is limited exclusively to that sub-series or characters from other Final Fantasies are fair game.
Literally everything except for the designs of Ifrit and the chocobo hat in Smash 4. Though, that's a miniscule amount of things for a series with minimal content in Smash.

FF in Smash was a dream come true for me but Ultimate makes it feel like a monkey paw wish. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if we ever got another FF character that came with either just as much or even less content than Cloud.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Let's see...

Super Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: Funky Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Impa
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Pokémon: Zoroark
Earthbound: Kumatora
Fire Emblem: Byleth
Kid Icarus: Magnus
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic The Hedgehog: Silver
Mega Man: Roll
Mii: Sebastian Tute
Xenoblade Chronicles: Elma
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Black Mage
Castlevania: Alucard
Dragon Quest: Bianca
Fatal Fury: Rock Howard

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So hot take but I don’t think Sonic is getting another character, not even an Echo Fighter.

Not only has the popularity of the series severely dwindled down thanks to things like Forces and the movie, but Sonic also isn’t and never really was very popular in Japan, as a person who just went there I can say that he’s mostly used as a corporate mascot used to advertise SEGA products rather than his own games, and hardly any merchandise of him actually is sold there.

Honestly I’m at the point where I think a second Persona character and characters like Arle and Kiryu are more likely than a second Sonic rep, as Persona, Puyo Puyo, and Yakuza seem to be the current big three of SEGA. (I could also see Jeanne as a Bayo Echo If Bayo 3 ever comes out)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Man it's like people forget Spirit of Justice or something.
I wish I could forget Spirit of Justice! Agagagaga

I'm so sad why did it have to have one of the best cases in the series and then just **** the bed in so many other regards please save us Athena Cykes Ace Attorney

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So hot take but I don’t think Sonic is getting another character, not even an Echo Fighter.

Not only has the popularity of the series severely dwindled down thanks to things like Forces and the movie, but Sonic also isn’t and never really was very popular in Japan, as a person who just went there I can say that he’s mostly used as a corporate mascot used to advertise SEGA products rather than his own games, and hardly any merchandise of him actually is sold there.

Honestly I’m at the point where I think a second Persona character and characters like Arle and Kiryu are more likely than a second Sonic rep, as Persona, Puyo Puyo, and Yakuza seem to be the current big three of SEGA. (I could also see Jeanne as a Bayo Echo If Bayo 3 ever comes out)
I stand by the belief that Sakurai doesn't want a repeat of the stinginess Sega had during Brawl's development.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Sonic is still widely recognized even by younger gamers. I live in a small city of 55,000 and we have a Sega World arcade that has Sonic games. Yes, he doesn’t have the selling power he once enjoyed previously but he’s still a household name. Probably the biggest when you consider Sega.

I see Sega and Sonic merchandise time to time. I just saw a Sonic doll at the nursery school my daughter goes to. It was being sold as a part of a school fundraiser during the nursery school festival.

Yes, him and his series has fallen down a bit in popularity but he’s still a widely recognized character. Especially by the youth and this is important to note.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I stand by the belief that Sakurai doesn't want a repeat of the stinginess Sega had during Brawl's development.
That doesn't really make much sense to me, SEGA knows they have nothing to lose about this and that they'll get a pretty penny for it now. They even allowed 3 characters as of Joker, what stinginess is there after 3 characters with plenty of songs and such?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Fun fact a lot of people don’t realize, SEGA usually wants to have a sizable amount of creative control on Sonic which is why his portrayal in Smash is pretty by-the-numbers, as well as this the music copyright is actually a ****ing mess, the older games have their songs owned by various composers and the newer games have the involvement of various American singers, this is why Smash has only one remix (And in actuality it’s entirely owned by SEGA), we have mostly direct rips, and a lot of the songs are cut down because of legal reasons. You Can Do Anything was actually supposed to be a song in Brawl but it was cut as it’s actually owned by a separate record label and was problematic to the point where not even SEGA could get the license for the lyrics in Christen Whitehead’s Sonic CD remake on IOS.

D

Deleted member

I wish I could forget Spirit of Justice! Agagagaga

I'm so sad why did it have to have one of the best cases in the series and then just **** the bed in so many other regards please save us Athena Cykes Ace Attorney
It's a weird sequel that suffers from Dual Destinies Three protagonist structure. It at least tells a connected story--sans Chapter 4, so it's a win overall for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sonic is still widely recognized even by younger gamers. I live in a small city of 55,000 and we have a Sega World arcade that has Sonic games. Yes, he doesn’t have the selling power he once enjoyed previously but he’s still a household name. Probably the biggest when you consider Sega.

I see Sega and Sonic merchandise time to time. I just saw a Sonic doll at the nursery school my daughter goes to. It was being sold as a part of a school fundraiser during the nursery school festival.

Yes, him and his series has fallen down a bit in popularity but he’s still a widely recognized character. Especially by the youth and this is important to note.
I see what you mean Venus, and I trust what you’re saying since you live in Japan and probably have more experience in the area, I think Sonic’s inclusion in well-justified and actually pretty significant since it’s a previous rival character being in a Nintendo crossover (Terry is also significant for this very reason), I just think times have changed and he isn’t the big powerhouse he used to be, as a result I see Sakurai and SEGA focusing on other franchises from them for Smash but I won’t deny Sonic is still a household name (Whether it be ironic or not).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm calling a swat team
Spirit of Justice has a handful of excellent moments and one of the best cases in the series (The Magical Turnabout) and a ton of fantastic characters while simultaneously having awful pacing, reusing old trilogy plot points for a cheap "hey look guys!", trying so hard to dial up the stakes for each trial that they manage to remove all actual tension, failing to follow up on much of the excellent potential and backstory for Apollo established in the previous game and instead overcomplicating his background. While again that led to some great moments, there is so much cruft in between each moment that it makes it not worth it. It felt like an Ace Attorney game written by someone who played the original trilogy and is picking you up by the shoulders and screaming at you "HEY, REMEMBER MAYA??? REMEMBER???" while simultaneously making her reappearance in the series a nonentity due to bad handling and an insistence on ignoring literal years of development and world building established by AJ, the AAI games, and DD. It reduces Athena to a character not even worth a full case and presents her with challenges she should've already overcome through her first game and then has Phoenix straight up tell her he doesn't trust her enough to be seen as an equal in the final trial. It doesn't help that every single case cast-wise is split into "guy who did it" "guy who didn't do it" and "defendant". Sometimes they'll throw "series regular" into the mix, or "guy who shows up in multiple cases". The final trial manages to be simultaneously overwrought and anticlimactic and they just reached so ****ing hard to do it.

The struggle is again it has one of my favorite cases in the series, some of my favorite one-off characters (Dhurke, Armie, Roger, everyone in the DLC case), some incredible moments (the Dhurke reveal, the entirety of case 2 but especially Mr. Reus, the channeling of Tahrust and his motivations, "A Dragon Never Yields") and if this was just an unrelated game in a new series I'd call it flawed but generally good. But it isn't, it's an Ace Attorney game and in that context it is without a doubt the worst one in the series. Worth playing once, outside of Case 2 which I'd play a few times, but that's it, and in a series where I'd happily play and have played every other game multiple times that's a problem.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I see what you mean Venus, and I trust what you’re saying since you live in Japan and probably have more experience in the area, I think Sonic’s inclusion in well-justified and actually pretty significant since it’s a previous rival character being in a Nintendo crossover (Terry is also significant for this very reason), I just think times have changed and he isn’t the big powerhouse he used to be, as a result I see Sakurai and SEGA focusing on other franchises from them for Smash but I won’t deny Sonic is still a household name (Whether it be ironic or not).
Yeah, I don’t think that popularity is justification to include the second Sonic rep. SF is still a popular series in Japan and Richter was the most popular Belmont. Though I still question wether including Richter made any sense.

Sonic, Tails, Eggman, Knuckles, and Shadow are thr big name characters and easily recognizable even among kids who may not play Sonic. Despite that, I don’t think we will be seeing an additional Sega rep at all.

On a similar note, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, and Sonic didn’t receive an additional Echo Fighter whereas Street Fighter and Castlevania did. Metal Gear and Final Fantasy notwithstanding, I find it curious that third party series whose name is the main characters name didn’t get an Echo Fighter. Maybe that’s not to confuse players?

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Sega being stingy with how Sonic gets used as a character is hilarious to me, if I think of all the crazy absurd stuff they did with him themselves, like him becoming a werewolf or a knight of Sir Arthur or meeting himself from the past or getting rebooted and wrapped in bandages in a post-apocalyptic setting or becoming a super sayan or getting inside Arabian Nights or getting stuck in timetravel shenanigans and ending up dying and getting resurrected by the kiss of a human girl or getting captured by Eggman and tortured for months or getting redesigned as an abomination for a Hollywood movie or whatever Shadow the Hedgehog was...
And yet being stingy with others sounds 100% like Sega. What a weird franchise.

DISCLAIMER: I love Sonic the way he is

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Any potential Mega Man echo I can think of is better off being a semi-clone at least. If they added Jeanne, she'd probably show off other aspects of Bayonetta like melee weapons, a motorcycle, and panther/raven within; she can be a unique newcomer entirely. Ms. Pacman has licensing shenanigans to overcome.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Between Dante, Jill/Leon and Phoenix Wright, I have always thought it was pretty much a roll the dice as they offer different experiences altogether.

RE and AA offer unique experiences compared to the current roster and in the case of RE a new genre added to the game (given that half P5 is a VN like AA, AA would be a full fledged VN character). Both offer a lot in regards to adding new character archetypes to the game.

A character like Dante offers another fun combo heavy character like Bayo. You even have added value like Cloud vs Link with Dante vs Bayo.

I don't think a deep Nintendo link really helps that much as many 3rd party characters we have gotten lack it (Snake, Joker, Cloud), so a character we may get from Capcom wont necessarily have it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Just wanna remind you all that Monster Hunter is still a thing. Rathalos appearing as a boss doesn't invalidate the Hunter's chances in season 2, especially with how no other Monster Hunter content is available in the game besides the dragon. There are no spirits of other monsters and characters, just Rathalos. And the only music that is available are the ones related to the Rathalos boss fight.

If Rathalos truly was all what we were getting in relations to Monster Hunter then you'd think we'd get more content related to the series no?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyone hanging their hat on some kind of Doom Slayer announcement to tie in with Doom Eternal might need to adjust themselves...

Getting some flashbacks to Sylux and Metroid Prime 4 here.

Also, big F in chat for Doom Marine Guy Slayer Guy Marine speculation.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Getting some flashbacks to Sylux and Metroid Prime 4 here.

Also, big F in chat for Doom Marine Guy Slayer Guy Marine speculation.
How does that hurt his chances? Characters don't release in Smash Ultimate along side their games.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Doom guy never was likely. I don't know when people started speculating about him but that's even more of a pipe dream than Axel Stone, Kat or Riesz.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Just wanna remind you all that Monster Hunter is still a thing. Rathalos appearing as a boss doesn't invalidate the Hunter's chances in season 2, especially with how no other Monster Hunter content is available in the game besides the dragon. There are no spirits of other monsters and characters, just Rathalos. And the only music that is available are the ones related to the Rathalos boss fight.

If Rathalos truly was all what we were getting in relations to Monster Hunter then you'd think we'd get more content related to the series no?
Monster Hunter feels very likely to me. If anything, the fact that Rathalos is in the game should be a signal flare that more content is very possible.

Untouch

Smash Master
Sorry just trying to understand what's being said here.
People actually think that release schedules of games are solely based around smash DLC, even though none of the DLC characters with games had the games release before the character?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Sorry just trying to understand what's being said here.
People actually think that release schedules of games are solely based around smash DLC, even though none of the DLC characters with games had the games release before the character?
I think it's the inverse, where people think smash DLC tries to align itself with game releases for promotion. It's a silly concept honestly because 1. Hero was released months before DQXI on Switch and 2. The smash DLC schedule is more or less set in stone and has been for a long time now, so if release dates did match up, it'd be by coincidence.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
A character that isn't on every single individual's wish kid. Skull Kid's one of them. Then again not so much. The only character outshining him on almost every. single. individual's wish list is ****king. Geno. My take on unique is a character that isn't so massively requested or literally on everyone's radar like Geno or Ryu Hasabasa, or a character that has movesets that haven't been done to death. Hand-to-Hand combat, guns & blasters, and especially blades. Characters on the roster that I see as unique out of the bunch are :ultvillager: for utilizing slice-of-life activities in a combative way. And I especially love :ultpacman: & :ultgnw:.

Now, I might be harsh on Skull Kid. I'm not so sure he's as highly requested anymore...but idk. I don't really see the appeal to him. Same with Waddle Dee. Though I like him, I don't really see the appeal of him being a fighter in Smash, while we have many more Kirby characters with unique abilities.
1) that's not what unique means.
2) So you want characters that don't use hand-to-hand combat, guns/blasters, or swords? ... Alright carry on nothing to see here.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Anyone hanging their hat on some kind of Doom Slayer announcement to tie in with Doom Eternal might need to adjust themselves...

Even if you did use Doom Eternal's release as the basis of speculation this wouldn't change anything. If Nintendo chose to release Doomguy around Eternal's original projected release (unlikely) it would still be set for the end of year regardless. They probably wouldn't push it back because the game got delayed.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
The game being delayed doesn't change the fact that this is still their planned Year of Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom